Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Podima posted:

I just have to write flavor for like four more characters so!!!!

Yeah but then it has to fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

CPig will you be my lover, not my rival?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

CPig will you be my lover, not my rival?

Yes. I thought you'd never ask.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BK go play CPig's game :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
man this is so heated now

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Hi I'm opening a game and I need only one player wanna join BK?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Podima posted:

Also 3 more people do this same thing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

You'll get the opportunity to play a game with legendary mercenary CCKeane.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CCKeane posted:

You'll get the opportunity to play a game with legendary mercenary CCKeane.

legendsry mervenary huh?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Podima posted:

Podima, go play it also!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

legendsry mervenary huh?

Big Boss WISHES he had my depth perception.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CCKeane posted:

Big Boss WISHES he had my depth perception.

:wow:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes. I thought you'd never ask.

Yo can I get in on this?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Opopanax posted:

Yo can I get in on this?

:wink:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I only need two more and we can start this thing tonight bb.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MG3 posted:

What is proposition 1? I've never even heard of it

It's a local thing - ironically, I was unable to vote on it because technically I live in a suburb, but I did vote in the Pflugerville school board election.

and now I'm going to have to describe it and someone's going to disagree with me over this and try and pick a fight about it and I'm loving tired of hearing about it and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT FOR ASKING MAGNUS but here it is anyway

basically it's uber and lyft and internet shitlords vs. the city council and the taxi companies

So, Uber and Lyft come into town two years ago, and begin operating under their own rules. A short-term deal was struck to let the ridesharing companies work for a while while a more permanent solution was hammered out. The city council adopted measures in December of 2015 (under obvious pressure from the cab companies) that would require Uber/Lyft to follow at least some of the same regulations taxis are under---most notably putting identifying signs on their vehicles and having all their drivers fingerprinted. Uber and Lyft fire back under the aegis of lobbying unit Ridesharing Works For Austin with Prop 1, a measure rolling back the December regulations that goes up for public vote today (or during early voting at any point this last week.) Uber and Lyft have indicated that they refuse to operate in any city that requires drivers to be fingerprinted for background checks, indicating that their name-based electronic background checks are actually better. This probably reveals my personal bias, but ridesharing proponents have also indicated people are more likely to be assaulted by taxi drivers and that the fact that ridesharing drivers are tracked via their phones is a viable protective measure for passengers, two items both laughable and/or factually wrong. Proposition 1 proponents also indicate that their opponents are anti-technology and anti-competition, which, whatever. RWFA also indicates that the fingerprinting process will take months and cost millions, which is also complete bullshit.

RWFA has spent literal millions of dollars in the Austin metro in an tv/radio/flyer/mailer/texting/calling/door-to-door campaign to get people to vote for Prop 1, and every techno-libertarian shitass on social media is griping about governmental controls on business.

Realistically, it comes down to these startups trying to bully the city into letting them do what they want and to continue to have drivers work for them without them having to provide any labor protections as if they were actual employees---drivers they're going to get rid of as soon as we have self-driving cars figured out, according to multiple sources.

http://kut.org/post/explaining-exactly-what-yes-and-no-vote-prop-1-means
http://jalopnik.com/ride-hailing-companies-spent-8-million-to-make-everyon-1774409502
http://jalopnik.com/nobody-wins-in-austins-garbage-uber-and-lyft-election-1775277375

so loving tired of all this

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I would vote against uber and lyft if I was voting. gently caress those guys

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

driverless cars gonna get so many fines

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

I would vote against uber and lyft if I was voting. gently caress those guys

See I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I much prefer uber and lyft to normal taxis because, to be frank, normal taxis loving suck. They will refuse service if it's not somewhere they think they will get a return trip, they will lie about whether or not they can take credit card payments, they are ridiculously expensive in comparison, and they just overall suck. Meanwhile, uber has made it easy as gently caress for me to just go somewhere when I want to without any of the hassle.

On the other hand, uber and lyft should absolutely in no way be above regulation by the govt. They wanna play like a big boy company, they need to take the bureaucracy that comes with it. It would be safer for their driver, and overall better for everyone involved.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I hope everything gets automated and I can sit about being fed grapes by a sexbot, who I will disappoint regularly by preferring eating grapes to consummating our relationship.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope that by the time I retire there are self driving RVs so I can sell my house, get a self driving RV, and just travel while I sleep

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I hope to never retire and instead become a crime fighting cyborg.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Kashuno posted:

I hope that by the time I retire there are self driving RVs so I can sell my house, get a self driving RV, and just travel while I sleep

same except a dog sled

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't want driverless cars because I like to drive.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

TMMadman posted:

I don't want driverless cars because I like to drive.

Just own a motorcycle like will smith in I; Robot!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

driverless cars gonna get so many fines

Also, even though I'm assuming this is from Australia, I had no trouble deciphering these signs and it took me about 5 seconds to know when/when I could not park in that place?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

TMMadman posted:

Also, even though I'm assuming this is from Australia, I had no trouble deciphering these signs and it took me about 5 seconds to know when/when I could not park in that place?

you're the kind of inconsiderate scumbo that would park in a taxi zone

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I completely agree with Kashuno's post re: Uber

I cannot wait for driverless cars. I even like driving a ton and I can't wait for them. Most of my best conversations in life have happened driving around in cars. But if we can save lives, allow me more time to do other poo poo while I commute, avoid super lovely drivers, etc then I'm 100% for it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

you're the kind of inconsiderate scumbo that would park in a taxi zone

Incorrect. I'm a messenger and while I don't always follow parking regulations, there are three places that I almost never park: taxi zones, valet zones and handicap zones. I say almost because there are a few exceptions to the rule, like there are a few taxi zones in downtown Chicago that aren't used during the day but are presumably used during the night and sometimes I'll use a valet zone (but I always talk to the valet) if I know I'm going to be in/out in less than a minute.

But for the most part, I know where most of the loading/standing zones are downtown and will drive to one of them first or find an open 'pay' spot and then just not pay.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I don't drive because I don't enjoy choking the last breaths of life from mother nature's lungs.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CCKeane posted:

I don't drive because I don't enjoy choking the last breaths of life from mother nature's lungs.

Mother nature will off us long before we ever off it.

Happy Mother's day earth.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

If Mother Nature comes at me I won't hesitate to fight it. And I am very strong. *kisses biceps*

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775082

I only need one more for this.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

If you play I will send you tasteful nudes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

If you play I will send you tasteful nudes.

I'm holding you to this. Please have them in my inbox by tomorrow morning.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dear Infinitum: I know you're reading this as I suspect you are my lurk-every-mafia-thread doppelganger except 12 hours offset from me as you are on the worst continent

let's fight

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Who lurks mafia threads they ain't in? If I'm not going to read threads I'm actually playing, why read ones where I'm not. Podima, you've described a new circle of hell.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amoeba102 posted:

Who lurks mafia threads they ain't in? If I'm not going to read threads I'm actually playing, why read ones where I'm not. Podima, you've described a new circle of hell.

no u

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Podima posted:

Dear Infinitum: I know you're reading this as I suspect you are my lurk-every-mafia-thread doppelganger except 12 hours offset from me as you are on the worst continent

let's fight

Mate I'll have you, and it'll look like a bloody accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

hes right you know