Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Treat the turnips like potatoes--chop them up and sauté them in oil or butter with onions, or roast them, or boil and mash them. You can mix them with potatoes in any of these preparations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PDP-1 posted:

2) I've been getting into baking a bit more recently, and while the results have been tasty most recipes call for a :stare: amount of butter and/or lard. I get that some kind of fat is needed to make this stuff work, but is there any healthier substitute that will work 80% as well? e.g. can I sub in half olive oil and make a pretty-good-if-not-Platonic-ideal bread?

For bread, you can substitute in any oil, you'll just get a subtly different flavor, Italian bread recipes often have olive oil. You can leave the oil out entirely if you like, but this will affect the texture of the bread. If you're making a lot of bread, then you could look into Bread Improvers, which fulfill a similar role to oil, and have other benefits as well, like preventing the bread from going stale so quickly. I just use the one they sell at the local bread making shop though, so I don't really have one to recommend myself.

For cakes, cookies and pastries it gets a bit more complicated. Sugar won't dissolve in fat, but it will dissolve in water, so butter (which is ~15-20% water) can't be directly replaced with oil. Different fats also have different smoke points, which I've read can also have subtle impacts during baking. At the end of the day, you can always replace 100g of butter with 85g oil and 15g of milk/water, and you have a reasonable chance it will work, but there are plenty of recipes for dairy free X which are probably safer to try.

If you want suggestions, this is one of my favorite cake recipes, which is also butter free:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake

It's super light and fluffy, though I usually use a different kind of icing because I find buttercream to be too sickly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PDP-1 posted:

2) I've been getting into baking a bit more recently, and while the results have been tasty most recipes call for a :stare: amount of butter and/or lard. I get that some kind of fat is needed to make this stuff work, but is there any healthier substitute that will work 80% as well? e.g. can I sub in half olive oil and make a pretty-good-if-not-Platonic-ideal bread?

Many people would also argue that there's nothing particularly unhealthy about butter when compared to other fats.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There isn't anything wrong with dietary fat in moderation, other than it being calorie dense. The 90s are over, eat fat and be happy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You just have to eat less of what you bake. Looking at the classic Toll House chocolate-chip cookies, the recipe has two sticks of butter, but it makes 5 dozen cookies. Each cookie has 0.8 tsp of butter, which is like 27 calories. So it's totally fine if you eat one cookie or three cookies, it's just going to gently caress you up if you eat all 60.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso posted:

The 90s are over, eat fat and be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OG0BmRqX8Y&hd=1

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

it's just going to gently caress you up if you eat all 60.

uh oh...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's usually easier to just cook with the skin on. Get the salmon skin crispy and eat it.

Since no one mentioned it, do check whether the skin was descaled first, and/or do it yourself. It's pretty easy, just rub a sharp knife against the "grain" of the scales and they'll fall off. That stuff is sticky as hell and gets everywhere, though. :v:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got some fresh morels from the farmers market today. Do I need to wash them before I sauté in butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, then finish with heavy cream for a pasta sauce? Any recommended changes to that plan?

Edit: should add I'll be roasting some sliced fresh asparagus to toss in as well. And I think I have some salmon my gf's parents brought over that she wants me to use. Okay, actually I need a salmon recipe now too.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 8, 2016

SuperShmoe
Dec 14, 2003
Is something wrong on my end, or have the recipes disappeared from the old GWS wiki in the last week? Does anyone still maintain it?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Gerblyn posted:

good info

Thanks to everyone for the turnip/fat responses, and a special thanks to Gerblyn for this particularly detailed and helpful post.

I guess the rest of you have a point though - what looks like a huge glob of fat at cooking time isn't really as big a deal as it seems when it's divided out over multiple servings.

e: Oh yeah, the turnips actually did end up going into more Cornish pastys - the first batch were pretty good so I decided to make a second batch with some tweaks and they were great!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
What in the loving christ poo poo happened to the the loving goons with spoons pulled pork recipe? I loved that recipe so much, it was fantastico and now it is blank. I literallyl :qq: at this realization. I hope everyone is happy because I am at least slightly upset. :colbert:

edit: the entire site appears to be dead :smith:

Double edit: I should read the rest of the thread i guess, but that doesn't make it feel better :rip:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 8, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any reason I can't dump pulled chicken ingredients in the slow cooker bowl in the refrigerator overnight, then start it the next morning?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any reason I can't dump pulled chicken ingredients in the slow cooker bowl in the refrigerator overnight, then start it the next morning?

None whatsoever, unless you have some ingredients that will get gnarly overnight.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Long pepper. Where can I get me some - preferably at prices under $80/lb plus shipping? I'm super curious about the flavor of it but every place I've come across online is selling a tiny container at prices rivaling those of tea in 18th century North America

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Long pepper. Where can I get me some - preferably at prices under $80/lb plus shipping? I'm super curious about the flavor of it but every place I've come across online is selling a tiny container at prices rivaling those of tea in 18th century North America

Do you have a local spice shop? In Seattle I can get it from World Spice - you can apparently order it from them for $4/ounce: https://www.worldspice.com/spices/long-pepper

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey fellow goons, I have somehow been roped into a 'Come Dine With Me' style cookery competition with my girlfriend, her brother and his partner. Every Sunday one of us cooks a main and dessert and then serves it for scoring.

Week one was Salt Crusted Sea Bream followed by Bread and Butter Pudding.

Last week was chicken stuffed with cheese wrapped in bacon, followed by a fruit salad with yoghurt.

This week is apparently a Moroccan stew and Key Lime Pie.

I'm not a whizz in the kitchen, there are some dishes I can do competently but whether they lend themselves to this format I'm unsure. I'm not due to cook for a week so my thinking is this: I want to do something deceptively simple, but most importantly I want tips about plating. I feel plating is my weakest suit when it comes to culinary skills: I get praise for my flavour but my presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

So any recommendations for simple recipes that can be presented well, as well as general tips on presentation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not actually concerned with winning, I'd rather give a good account of myself for personal pride (last time I cooked for my girlfriend I cocked up a Lancashire Hot Pot as my potatoes weren't cooked properly).

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

SuperShmoe posted:

Is something wrong on my end, or have the recipes disappeared from the old GWS wiki in the last week? Does anyone still maintain it?

I'm currently changing hosts and ran into a bug I have to have time to fix (i.e. after mother's day dinner). All the recipes are visible if you hit edit on them and just grab the raw wiki text.

SuperShmoe
Dec 14, 2003

Toast posted:

I'm currently changing hosts and ran into a bug I have to have time to fix (i.e. after mother's day dinner). All the recipes are visible if you hit edit on them and just grab the raw wiki text.

I'm relieved to hear it. The wiki's been a great resource for me for a long time and I appreciate the time and effort you've put in to keeping it around.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Toast posted:

That would've been a terrible loss. Glad you're keeping it maintained. It's been s great resource/work time killer.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What do I sub for celery seed in cole slaw?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You could leave it out and it will still be good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Or use celery leaves.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Or just throw the coleslaw in the trash where it belongs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Captainsalami posted:

This is a bad opinion and you should be ashamed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is a bad opinion and you should be ashamed.

This is correct.

Also, my wife went through many cole slaw recipes before she finally found one that everyone liked. Turns out, the secret is buttermilk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captainsalami posted:

:agreed:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is lasagna something you can prep a day or two in advance and then bake when needed, or is that going to make the pasta all soggy?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is lasagna something you can prep a day or two in advance and then bake when needed, or is that going to make the pasta all soggy?

Bake it in advance, then re-heat it. It's probably actually better that way.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You should go ahead and bake it, portion it and then re-bake it when you are going to serve it. It is less messy and saves you the time on the day it is needed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone have experience cooking for someone w/ crohns? My cousin's kid was just diagnosed, and can't have dairy or gluten for sure. It's almost impossible to find good answers on the internet what with all the trendy self diagnosed gluten intolerance. Is the gluten ban likely specific to wheat, ie would rye gluten maybe be ok? What about nut flours, amaranth, etc? Would all of these have to be ruled out as triggers first?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Goatfather posted:

Anyone have experience cooking for someone w/ crohns? My cousin's kid was just diagnosed, and can't have dairy or gluten for sure. It's almost impossible to find good answers on the internet what with all the trendy self diagnosed gluten intolerance. Is the gluten ban likely specific to wheat, ie would rye gluten maybe be ok? What about nut flours, amaranth, etc? Would all of these have to be ruled out as triggers first?

Are you confusing crohn's with celiac? Afaik crohn's doesn't necessarily require a gluten free diet. I'm open to correction though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you need to avoid capsicum for crohns

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Goatfather posted:

http://www.ccfa.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html

My cousin has Crohn's and my brother has UC. I have IBS. They have no dietary restrictions, nor do I. All of us stay away from insoluble fiber. We all eat dairy and gluten ("can't have dairy or gluten for sure" is BS). Does that help???

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Goatfather posted:

Did your cousin tell you that the kid cannot have gluten? Because that's something that people with celiac cannot have. And yeah, probably there are people with Crohns disease that do not tolerate it well, but my two collegues with Crohn eat gluten, without any problems.

Anyway, ask your cousin, because this isn't as simple as celiac disease. There are differences between people.
(although spicy food is mostly not the best idea)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"Gluten" has supposedly been ruled out as definitely a thing that triggers her crohns poo poo is all I know. AFAIK celiac and crohns and ibs kind of share a venn diagram don't they?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 9, 2016

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Goatfather posted:

"Gluten" has supposedly been ruled out as definitely a thing that triggers her crohns poo poo is all I know. AFAIK celiac and crohns and ibs kind of share a venn diagram don't they?

Yeah, it's still not the same.

And as you went from "the kid cannot have gluten for sure" to "gluten has been ruled out as a trigger", I'll repeat my "ask the mum" advice.
The internet cannot solve this one, as it is not a story as "easy" as Celiac,
there are no lists that count for all people with Crohns

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 9, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Goatfather posted:

Celiacs is quite different from the inflammatory bowel diseases/disorders.

Anyway, as for your original question, gluten is gluten. Nut flours are generally good, as are starchy flours like tapioca and corn. IMO it's best to just go with protein/veg and then you don't have to worry about that poo poo. But like you could make Chinese food with cornstarch thickener and side of rice type of thing, just get the wheat-free soy sauce, aka tamari.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've made lasagna a day ahead of time and left it in the fridge until I baked it. Shouldn't be a problem. I've never gone more than a day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I'm considering making lasagna for a potluck, but I'll be really busy day of. My wife was told by a quack that she needs to be gluten free, so if she knows she has had gluten she gets a psychosomatic thing where she feels horribly sick. So I want to make her a gluten free lasagna as a surprise. Lasagna seems like the best gluten free pasta dish since it doesn't matter if it sticks together, and she can't get it at a restaurant because nobody makes whole gluten free lasagnas.