Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm really starting to hate this Barbed Straight Sword for PVP. The range on it feels so dinky that most "trades" end up in freebie hits from my opponent because they outrange me. :( But I'm also keeping myself a super low level and almost all of my points are dedicated to max HP so my options for other things are super limited.

I know it's a problem I created myself but drat is it not frustrating at times anyway.

I mean if you want a good straight sword at a low level your best bet is easily the raw rear end (astora's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Turning the corner into Drang castle was pretty awesome, with the moon shining behind it, too bad the inside was so boring. Also the gutter was a cool zone, I liked exploring with a torch and lighting all the braziers on the way to give a sense of progress :kimchi:

Honestly though nothing beat the walk up into Irithyll. I my jaw was on the floor for five minutes after walking in there. Then I met the dog :smith:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

At least they ended up adjusting Amana with patches, and making it downright gentle in Scholar.

Nothing excuses Black Gulch, though, and more's the pity because it looks really neat.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I kind of like the lighting of Scholar better. Not for atmosphere but playability. I feel like I have to strain my eyes a lot more with the Bloodborne style lighting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

Shrine of Amana had great atmosphere, but it was one of few truly great areas, atmosphere-wise. Majula, of course, is up there, as are Dragon Aerie and Frozen Eleum Loyce. I didn't think Black Gulch had a whole lot going for it, though.

I think the Gutter has really good aatmosphere which I meant to include along with Black Gulch. Black Gulch was more an example of an area that would definitely look really good with improved textures and lighting though. It has a very unique appearance with the sickly green light illuminated the chasm wall. It does suck that the area didn't have much to it though.

Shannow posted:

The atmosphere they had was predominantly 'hey gently caress you'.

You could say this about the entire series though :v:

Speaking of atmosphere, one of the places in Dark Souls 3 I really like is that single room in Irthyll Dungeon you use to access Dragon Peak. Something about it is just really haunting in its tranquility. The sight of all those different soldiers sitting in perfect silence, gazing towards the peak off in the distance. The sound of the wind howling against the side of the mountain is eerie but soothing. I felt compelled to just sit there with them, even without the proper emote.

Its a nice break from the room right before it which is a big middle finger in the form of about half a dozen jailers.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 8, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deckit posted:

I have discovered that you can set fire to the Dancer of the Valley's area if you have her weapons. I love little touches like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhChW4tdpM I may have set the entire thing on fire. :ohdear:

Meanwhile, no form of fire such as pyro hand or a fire enchanted weapon is sufficient to de-leech you, only torch works. You also can't de-leech whatever idiot host summoned you by casting fire spells at them, you just have to watch them run around slowly dying while you flail a torch over your head and are ignored.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DangerDongs posted:

Is going to 50 str worth it for the Fume Great Sword?

Get 50 strength and get Yhorm's Great Machete. I'm not sure but it seems like the hardest hitting STR weapon in the game and I love it dearly. I mashed the final couple of bosses into grits with it.

e: the heavy infused Greataxe I got from like the second enemy in the Wall of Lothric area carried me though everything before that, but YGM has muuuuuuch better reach.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I spent all this time waiting to get 5 dark sigils, only for me to decide to kill Anri and Horace on purpose for their weapons, not wanting to have anything to do with the quests because I missed it big time the first go around.

I did all of this to get Yuria to spawn, I was pretty much hanging back because I already killed the abyss walkers and i read what happens to Yoel if I cross into the catacombs.

So uh, advice. Just let things be, and don't kill any NPCs.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just wandered around emberred in both the water and poison parts of the Road of Sacrifices while embered collecting every item and didn't get a single Wolf of Farron invading me... Is the covenant completely busted?

NG+, SL110, no bosses in the area killed (either Sage or Abyss)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
did you try the dried finger. i always get a purple, red and a wolf that way chasing me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

VodeAndreas posted:

I just wandered around emberred in both the water and poison parts of the Road of Sacrifices while embered collecting every item and didn't get a single Wolf of Farron invading me... Is the covenant completely busted?

NG+, SL110, no bosses in the area killed (either Sage or Abyss)

Not many people will be Farron invading at that kind of SL

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Didn't try the finger no, wasn't intentionally trying to get invaded just found it very odd that no-one had...

And I still need to collect all my wolf-grass so it would be nice to know if it was working properly or not so I don't just have to farm low rate drops for the 25 or so I have left :(

e: And I was online, saw signs around bonfires and assorted messages.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 8, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Sorcery isn't TOO bad once you hit 60 int, it's just a shame you have to so utterly cripple yourself in terms of stats to achieve maybe slightly higher damage than a standard melee build, and then only because of your weapon buff, not your actual spells, since all the ones that can actually connect with in PvP only barely pull above "anemic".

It's a real shame how over 3/4 the spells I'd say have no use in PvP, and of those, maybe half have any real use in PvE, but lets be honest, the only cost efficient option in PvE is the highest rank of soul arrow that you've got, so you're just going to be using that repeatedly because the higher tier spells are such godawful FP guzzlers and all around incredibly inefficient, so basically it's just the soul arrow line and the weapon buffs for PvE. Hidden Body too if you like to go around effortlessly backstabbing things.

I dunno... I've tried to make this Sorcery character work and be fun, but it just feels like everything is an uphill battle in that regard. My PvP strategy thus far has consisted of casting 1 or 2 greater deep souls as cover and then rushing in, which actually works ok since they force the opponent to roll and then just meleeing with my buffed weapon because I haven't been able to make anything else work (Flashsword gets an honorable mention for the specific scenario of parrying. If they have any means of parrying, flashsword is a safe way to actually start an attack and that is very nice). Cast speed is the biggest problem, even with the sage ring and 25 dex, it's still cripplingly slow on most things.

Anyone else have any better luck with a Sorcery character? Maybe there's stuff I'm missing.

Also, I hate the dusk crown. Being forced into one specific headgear is awful, specially when it's such a dumb looking one.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

ProfessorBooty posted:

It's so frustrating that some enemies have a 'poison mist' type spell and it looks like it would be amazing as smoke coverage in PVP. Then you try both poison mist and the Storyteller Staff special ability and it's absolutely underwhelming. I got better smoke cover out of poison mist in Dark Souls 1.

edit: Not to get salty but why the hell did they even add poison to the player's arsenal?

Yeah, I dunno why they have the player poison/toxic mist spells stick around for such a short duration or have such a small radius given their statuses are not even that scary in DS3. It'd be fun if you could actually smokescreen with them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there any reason to fight Old Demon King other than for his soul? He's not at the end of the zone and he's not guarding anything. The entirety of Smouldering Lake is such a weird cul-de-sac.

I kill him because he has a big health bar so he's gotta die.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason to fight Old Demon King other than for his soul?

I mean, and he's there, so he's gotta die.

If you summon Cuculus and she survives the fight you can pick up her gear at Cornyx's cage.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason to fight Old Demon King other than for his soul?

To render a species extinct.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason to fight Old Demon King other than for his soul? He's not at the end of the zone and he's not guarding anything. The entirety of Smouldering Lake is such a weird cul-de-sac.

I kill him because he has a big health bar so he's gotta die.

Its convienent to kill him if you want Greirat to return early from his second looting trip.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, I dunno why they have the player poison/toxic mist spells stick around for such a short duration or have such a small radius given their statuses are not even that scary in DS3. It'd be fun if you could actually smokescreen with them.

I had some fun builds in Dark Souls 1 that would use poison mist to obscure projectile spam. I can get a free arrow off in Dark Souls 3, maybe. I covet that amazing dense rolling opaque cloud that the enemies spawn.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

ProfessorBooty posted:

It's so frustrating that some enemies have a 'poison mist' type spell and it looks like it would be amazing as smoke coverage in PVP. Then you try both poison mist and the Storyteller Staff special ability and it's absolutely underwhelming. I got better smoke cover out of poison mist in Dark Souls 1.

edit: Not to get salty but why the hell did they even add poison to the player's arsenal?

The point of poison is to invade at lv25 or lower in the undead settlement with a Ghru weapon buffed with rotten pine resin.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Shrine of Amana had great atmosphere, but it was one of few truly great areas, atmosphere-wise. Majula, of course, is up there, as are Dragon Aerie and Frozen Eleum Loyce. I didn't think Black Gulch had a whole lot going for it, though.

What, you don't get excited and nostalgic for barely lit, poo poo green hallways masquerading as full areas

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Something tapped me with a feather again and while I'm flying backwards 50 feet I thought I'd take a moment to alt tab and ask again if anybody knows anything about where the files I need to edit to get poise working are. I've checked the usual places but don't see anything that I can edit by hand like an ini file.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
They were short, but I adored the Giant Memories. So much of Dark Souls is centuries after things have happened, it was nice to be in the thick of things, if only in a memory. It gave it a sort of wistful quality, even though it was in the middle of a terrible war.

actually wow that was completely apropos of nothing i thought we were talking about atmospheric dark souls 2 areas OOPS

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYRsPEVNQU

Well, you guys WERE complaining about the term "one shot".

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Poise in dark souls 1 was a bad mechanic(though DS2 poise was ok I guess) and the new "hyper armor for heavy weapons" system is way better. I hope if they ever "fix" poise they will just remove it entirely from the menus, buff heavy armor absorption and repurpose the wolf ring and other poise giving items.

Or just put in the DS2 poise system but I doubt that's going to happen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZSzwUg-Bo

This guy does a lot of nice swaps.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Poise is weird because it sucks rear end in PVP and rules in PVE

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

That midair greatsword swap

what the gently caress

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm just glad swaps aren't critical to pvp because it's basically the lamest mechanic ever. Look how I can eke out an advantage by navigating a menu super fast.

Super lame.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

How on earth does he actually manage to navigate the item menu itself so fast? That's just inhuman, is it some sort of tool assisted thing? The windows for ripostes are not very large!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I gotta say, forming impromptu fight club in the area right after sulyhavn is kind of amazing. Everybody just instantly gets what you're doing and they just line up for their turn in the arena, and if anybody makes trouble everyone swarms them for ruining the fun. And if I think somebody did really, really well, I hop in the ring and have a no estus match with them. They win, and they get the ridiculous amount of souls I'd collected by that point. I think by the end it was something like 1800000.

I think it helps that I was running in smough armor with a dragon head, which helps to get across that I'm not taking things at all seriously.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

How on earth does he actually manage to navigate the item menu itself so fast? That's just inhuman, is it some sort of tool assisted thing? The windows for ripostes are not very large!

Nah, people have been doing this poo poo since the first Dark Souls. Part if it's managing your inventory to limit the spaces you need to move to swap poo poo, part of it's practice to get the speed down.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

They were short, but I adored the Giant Memories. So much of Dark Souls is centuries after things have happened, it was nice to be in the thick of things, if only in a memory. It gave it a sort of wistful quality, even though it was in the middle of a terrible war.

actually wow that was completely apropos of nothing i thought we were talking about atmospheric dark souls 2 areas OOPS

I mean, why not?

I like how in Dark Souls 3 they also capture the feeling of stuff happening, although nothing quite so explosive. It's not omnipresent, so the atmosphere of solitude remains, but you get little asides like the Darkwraiths showing up to try to get a piece of the Abyss Watchers, who themselves are stuck in an endless internal fight to cull the hollows among themselves, while you're hot on the trail of a fugitive whose depredations are quite apparent as you go. Even the NPCs are visibly traveling the same road that you are, rather than just popping up in seemingly random spots.

As for atmospheric DS2 places: Hard to beat the first and last parts of Drangleic Castle. Huntsman's Copse has an eerie tension, and Aldia's Keep, for being pretty much just a hallway, is really drat foreboding.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ran into a hacker named ":)" he had max stats ofc (5k life), and he would chain teleport me into ripostes that set my life to 9999.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I was thinking about Miyazaki's definition of an Unkindled, and I noticed something. He said that an Unkindled is someone tried and failed to link the fire, right? Player character excepted (for now, anyway), all of the other Unkindled characters we meet are deeply intertwined with the current Lords of Cinder. Hawkwood is a deserter from the Undead Legion. He's a coward by admission. Perhaps he ran away just as the Watchers were about to link the fire, fearing the consequences like Vendrick? Given what happened to Farron Keep, it seems like at least some of his concerns were well founded, if that's why he deserted. Then there's Siegward, who we honestly don't know very much about - except that he and Yhorm are dear friends. Maybe they worked together to link the fire, but Yhorm had Siegward stay back and make his grim promise? Lastly, we have Anri and Horace. We tend to get caught up in issues of matrimony when we discuss them, but they are Unkindled, and what's more, they're the only children to have escaped Aldrich. This brings up some rather alarming implications about just how Aldrich linked the fire, but if escapees were deemed "failures" by the powers that be, who knows? It wouldn't be out of character for the big ball of slime.

All the other characters we meet are explicitly not Unkindled. It's sort of odd, because the intro almost seemed to imply that Unkindled are just kind of laying around everywhere and they're just a bunch of garbage, but I think in reality, being Unkindled is kind of a big deal. You get a bell toll to announce your arrival, you have to prove yourself to the Iudex, and even people who are otherwise disdainful of you like Eygon of Carim or Sirris when you first meet her make note that you are, unmistakably, Unkindled. I sort of wish that the true nature of the Unkindled was explicitly stated in game somewhere, because this has had me rethink a lot of things about this game's lore in an interesting new way.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I cannot believe I missed the Dragon Chaser ashes. I could've had an entire +9 arsenal if i grinded enough.

I'm glad I don't have to face the king a second time to access it. Just go through a bullshit gauntlet that I luckily killed half of before running through.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You have to kill the King at least twice, once on NG++, if you're going for trophies AFAIK!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

I was thinking about Miyazaki's definition of an Unkindled, and I noticed something. He said that an Unkindled is someone tried and failed to link the fire, right? Player character excepted (for now, anyway), all of the other Unkindled characters we meet are deeply intertwined with the current Lords of Cinder. Hawkwood is a deserter from the Undead Legion. He's a coward by admission. Perhaps he ran away just as the Watchers were about to link the fire, fearing the consequences like Vendrick? Given what happened to Farron Keep, it seems like at least some of his concerns were well founded, if that's why he deserted. Then there's Siegward, who we honestly don't know very much about - except that he and Yhorm are dear friends. Maybe they worked together to link the fire, but Yhorm had Siegward stay back and make his grim promise? Lastly, we have Anri and Horace. We tend to get caught up in issues of matrimony when we discuss them, but they are Unkindled, and what's more, they're the only children to have escaped Aldrich. This brings up some rather alarming implications about just how Aldrich linked the fire, but if escapees were deemed "failures" by the powers that be, who knows? It wouldn't be out of character for the big ball of slime.

All the other characters we meet are explicitly not Unkindled. It's sort of odd, because the intro almost seemed to imply that Unkindled are just kind of laying around everywhere and they're just a bunch of garbage, but I think in reality, being Unkindled is kind of a big deal. You get a bell toll to announce your arrival, you have to prove yourself to the Iudex, and even people who are otherwise disdainful of you like Eygon of Carim or Sirris when you first meet her make note that you are, unmistakably, Unkindled. I sort of wish that the true nature of the Unkindled was explicitly stated in game somewhere, because this has had me rethink a lot of things about this game's lore in an interesting new way.

In extremely simplistic terms, the unkindled feel like an evolutionary adaptation beyond ordinary undead, who've been caught in an otherwise endless loop.

It's fun to think of it that way. An oft-cited element of a "good" fantasy setting is magic that's consistent and follows it's own internal logic, and that's about what we've got here. The existence of the unkindled as a result of undead linking the fire over and over, with some failing the task and becoming something new through a sort of inverse natural selection, is a natural-feeling progression for how this particular world's problem tries to resolve itself, and the issue of the absconded Lords of Cinder, who aren't sticking around to ensure that their own little pockets of space and time remain stable, creates a natural point of contention for the final conflict to play out over.

Again that's like, a super simple way of putting it, but it works well.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Thumbtacks posted:

http://imgur.com/a/oeeWx

Basically used Composite Bow and Dragonrider Bow. DB does a lot more damage but the advantage of CB is that you can attack out of rolls/dashes, which means you get a lot more opportunities since the shots are instant (no windup). The counter shots do less damage, though.

It was fun, I enjoyed it.

Nice work, and thanks for this. Always wanted to do a bow run, thought it would be too frustrating but it seems like you did enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

How do some of these people make it so far in the game, sunbroing nameless king for a little bit and we all flawless the first phase, and then the host gets hit once for about 700 damage from the actual boss and dies from full hp.