Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

wookieepelt posted:

Seriously though, how good was that launch trailer? I must've watched it a dozen times.

I watched it when it debuted during the AFC Championship Game (I think?) and it held a roomful of ex-jocks spellbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Could someone link the original trailer in question please? Want to make sure I'm watching the right one.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Could someone link the original trailer in question please? Want to make sure I'm watching the right one.

https://youtu.be/lx9sPQpjgjU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wookieepelt posted:

Seriously though, how good was that launch trailer? I must've watched it a dozen times.

It was good enough that I immediately wanted to get the game, after loving hating the first one.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my favorite mass effect trailer is probably this one, the reveal trailer for the first

this was back when nobody knew anything about bioware's next project

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The next Mass Effect novel will be by a good author who is a fan of the games!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna have to read that to understand the new game. I mean, I've read all the others for some reason that is probably not good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hedrigall posted:

The next Mass Effect novel will be by a good author who is a fan of the games!

Wow, okay.

It might actually of interest to read then. Can't say I'd ever have suspected Bioware tagging someone like that.

Then again, Peter Watts did a Crysis novel...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Milky Moor posted:

Wow, okay.

It might actually of interest to read then. Can't say I'd ever have suspected Bioware tagging someone like that.

Then again, Peter Watts did a Crysis novel...

I really want to believe that this means they're going to be more careful with the writing from here on in, but I'm not that naive. Still, at least the book looks good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mikedawson posted:

Me, but with the opposite choice. Part of my reason was my ME1 Shep was a renegade and she seemed more interesting than the guy who was awkwardly hitting on me.
I don't know if any alternate choices make it any better, but after rejecting Kaidan in ME1 he is just kinda there. They try to give him an arc of not trusting Shepard in ME2 and ME3, and I don't like the idea of Shepard even giving a poo poo what Kaidan thinks of her. Maybe it's bad writing or bad voice acting or both, but every interaction with Kaidan in ME3 seems like a bunch of bland random scattered statements, like he's not all there.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know if any alternate choices make it any better, but after rejecting Kaidan in ME1 he is just kinda there. They try to give him an arc of not trusting Shepard in ME2 and ME3, and I don't like the idea of Shepard even giving a poo poo what Kaidan thinks of her. Maybe it's bad writing or bad voice acting or both, but every interaction with Kaidan in ME3 seems like a bunch of bland random scattered statements, like he's not all there.

I solved this problem by blowing him the gently caress up on Virmire.

On the other hand... loving Ashley the space racist. I don't know why it bugs me so much, but in ME3 she says while on Mars "Maybe it's nothing... I'm just talking out loud."

Of course you loving are Ashley! That's what talking is! If it wasn't outloud it would be thinking!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Both Ashley and Kaidan are pretty boring once they stop being distrustful dicks. Missing out on the best game in the trilogy probably doesn't help. And I guess being generally mopey doesn't make them as immediately likeable as even a new character like Vega.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ashley goes full space racist and joins Cerberus. Kaidan's headaches get so bad that he gets an experimental implant that enables Cerberus to mind control him. I'd take that over the concussion and mopeyness.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ashley doesn't do anything in ME3. She has that cute "i'm drunk" part, that's it. Kaiden interacts with people all game. It's way better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Tortuga posted:

Of course you loving are Ashley! That's what talking is! If it wasn't outloud it would be thinking!
Ashley is the 22nd century equivalent of those women who put a pink Browning logo on the back of their pickups.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kaiden makes bacon.
Bacon is awesome.
Kaiden is awesome.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ashley never leaves her room on the Normandy. everyone else moves about and chats

it's implied that she does get drunk with James though

a literal reading of ME3 Ashley is "reclusive and possibly alcoholic"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ashley never leaves her room because there's too many aliens on board.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And why isn't anyone ever in the bathroom?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So Great America opens this weekend, I think the 360 degree mass effect movie is available then.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sweet

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah Ashley also only confronts you about not being able to trust you way to much. Maybe I have bad timing but she told me she could not trust me AS I WAS ATTACKING CERBERUS'S BASE. What more did I have to do? I swear to god.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Axe-man posted:

Yeah Ashley also only confronts you about not being able to trust you way to much. Maybe I have bad timing but she told me she could not trust me AS I WAS ATTACKING CERBERUS'S BASE. What more did I have to do? I swear to god.
Ashley is also the 22nd-century equivalent of the kind of woman who thinks Sandy Hook was a false flag.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Ashley is also the 22nd-century equivalent of the kind of woman who thinks Sandy Hook was a false flag.

Ronda Rousey will play her in the movie then?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You're on a super secret cutting edge stealth warship for the US navy.

The captain invites a Russian intelligence officer, a Somali warlord and the bad guy's brother aboard.

"I don't think we should let them walk round the engine room taking pictures"

"GOD YOU'RE SUCH A RACIST BUILD THAT WALL AMIRITE"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ashley was right.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At least the game lets you tell Kaidan/Ashley that they're not ever setting foot on the Normandy again. That was the one satisfying part of Kaidan's ME3 arc for me.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought it was dumb how I pretty much went against everything Cerberus wanted me to do in ME2 and blew up the thing they wanted to research at the end, but Ashley couldn't trust me because she saw me with some Cerberus guys for about an hour in the middle of that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I thought it was dumb how I pretty much went against everything Cerberus wanted me to do in ME2 and blew up the thing they wanted to research at the end, but Ashley couldn't trust me because she saw me with some Cerberus guys for about an hour in the middle of that game.

You missed the deleted scene where Ashley read the script for Mass Effect 3 and saw that she had to survive the suicide mission to become a guaranteed playable squadmate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The biggest problem with ME is that you can't kill both Ash and Kaiden

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

The biggest problem with ME is that you can't kill both Ash and Kaiden

You can. You can always renegade shoot kiaden in the head when he defends udina. As for Ashley if you just let her die like she is supposed too you never have to give a poo poo about her unable to trust you ever again. Then she can never become a whiney alcoholic who annoys you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone says they want to kill the human crewmembers and no one bats an eye, but when I say genociding several alien races is the right idea somehow I'm a monster.

Kaidan and Ashley are harmless. the Krogan will eat you and everyone you love in a few short years if the genophage is cured..

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Everyone says they want to kill the human crewmembers and no one bats an eye, but when I say genociding several alien races is the right idea somehow I'm a monster.

Kaidan and Ashley are harmless. the Krogan will eat you and everyone you love in a few short years if the genophage is cured..

It's better than humanity deserves.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

sassassin posted:

#MakeTheCitadelGreatAgain

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Our battleships capable of glassing planets and mastery of manipulating energy fields will be no match for the krogans' strong punching.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

sassassin posted:

Well, in all fairness, there's a difference between wanting two individuals to die for their views and actions, and wanting an entire species to perish for its general (perceived) characteristics.

Then again, before ME3 came out everyone was clamouring for batarian megadeath.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Our battleships capable of glassing planets and mastery of manipulating energy fields will be no match for the krogans' strong punching.

Yeah I've always thought the Krogans being super soldiers who breed out of control felt completely irrelevant in a setting with spaceships. Like, if we all lived on the same planet, then yeah I could understand The Krogan Problem. Having unlimited infantry don't mean much if you can't move them to where they need to be!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sombrerotron posted:

Well, in all fairness, there's a difference between wanting two individuals to die for their views and actions, and wanting an entire species to perish for its general (perceived) characteristics.

Yeah, the former is worse. Wanting a person (an ally, a brother in arms) that you've come to know to die is horrific.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Yeah, the former is worse. Wanting a person (an ally, a brother in arms) that you've come to know to die is horrific.

I've come to know them as worthless and despicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah I've always thought the Krogans being super soldiers who breed out of control felt completely irrelevant in a setting with spaceships. Like, if we all lived on the same planet, then yeah I could understand The Krogan Problem. Having unlimited infantry don't mean much if you can't move them to where they need to be!

They only started being a problem when they got spaceships, and the risk they represented was demographic in nature.

• Locked thread