Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Einwand posted:

How do some of these people make it so far in the game, sunbroing nameless king for a little bit and we all flawless the first phase, and then the host gets hit once for about 700 damage from the actual boss and dies from full hp.

He had low vigor, it's not that complicated. Some people prefer to put those points into damage and be a glass cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Full Metal Jackass posted:

A request for all hosts asking for summons to help with (nameless) King: Please stop dying in phase one.

Sorry. This was me last night. I got roasted three times in a row by the breath weapon :(

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Turning the corner into Drang castle was pretty awesome, with the moon shining behind it, too bad the inside was so boring. Also the gutter was a cool zone, I liked exploring with a torch and lighting all the braziers on the way to give a sense of progress :kimchi:

Honestly though nothing beat the walk up into Irithyll. I my jaw was on the floor for five minutes after walking in there. Then I met the dog :smith:

After reading this, I just realized Drangleic and Drang Knights are one and the same, and every one of them have the highly coveted black armor (Llewyn or something?) people were grinding for in the castle.

Angrymog posted:

Sorry. This was me last night. I got roasted three times in a row by the breath weapon :(

Yeeeah, one main constant In this series that I keep finding out the hard way is that in most situations, holding a regular shield up to a fire breath ends up you losing all your stamina blocking and taking fire damage, and an even greater amount of health from the counter damage.

Happened to me on my first go around on helping a dude for this fight. Got hit three times with the downward fire breath.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 8, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you zoom in on gotthard's corpse with the binoculars, it blinks :gonk:

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
Who said he was dead? He's just sleepy.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

After watching him fight the spider boss in Bloodborne, I absolutely can't wait for him to get to the horrifying spider/centipede creatures in Irithyll.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Opinion: the two spider things that drop Aldrich rings are cute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just got the dragon tooth and its looking like it will out damage the FUGS at 50 strength despite only having B scaling and the FUGS having S. It also upgrades with titanite scales for some reason and not twinkling titanite

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What's the best SL and weapon level for catacombs invasions?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing I absolutely did not miss in Bloodborne was randomized weapon and equip drops from enemies. I've been trying to get weapons like the Corvian Scythe and other fashion items but I hate grinding.

Especially in early game there's very little you can do to increase your chances

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jose posted:

I just got the dragon tooth and its looking like it will out damage the FUGS at 50 strength despite only having B scaling and the FUGS having S. It also upgrades with titanite scales for some reason and not twinkling titanite
It always upgraded with Dragon Scales/PDBs because it's the tooth of a dragon :).

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

One thing I absolutely did not miss in Bloodborne was randomized weapon and equip drops from enemies. I've been trying to get weapons like the Corvian Scythe and other fashion items but I hate grinding.

Especially in early game there's very little you can do to increase your chances

I was grinding the staff Corvian by the halfway fortress for a hollow gem forever, like 2 hours. I finally decided to grind out the symbol of avarice just to make it faster. All in all, I spent probably 3.5 hours for one gem. I sure must have been unlucky, this is with 37 luck and the serpent ring as well.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

What's the best SL and weapon level for catacombs invasions?

I wanna say 40+4 - 50+5

If you are invading the Catacombs and want to find the host. Break the Pursuer vases, the Pursuers will drift off in the direction of the Host.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 8, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
After 200+ hours in this game I think I have a fairly good handle on this game. I love it and love that even after so much time I still have a lot to learn and a lot of try. However it is starting to show some cracks, some cracks in the form of balance, difficulty and stagnation. This has been my first Dark Souls game* I've ever played for any longer than an hour. After Everyone telling me how hard the game is I kinda feel cheated this game is by no means easy but it's also much easier then I was lead to believe.

Most PVE fights come down to little more then a gimmick (yhorm), strafing around the side of your opponent or rolling constantly. Once you learn rolling negates damage you end up rolling through entire sections of the game. Rolling is a trump card for content, I really feel they need to make rolling a less powerful tool. There also needs to be a longer animation on estus chugging not for just pve but also pvp it's so easy to find a small opening in a fight to chain 2 or more estus charges. The mobs in the area before the boss are often many times harder then the boss it's self.

On the subject of new game and new game +...etc I really thought it would change a lot more when I went to NG+ I was thinking enemy's would change a lot more then they do. I mean you go into it with +10 weapons and a high SL. Sadly you end up just steam rolling over everything the change makes it feel like you just bonfired back to the start not like you are starting a new game. The bosses should get new move sets and new transpositions and the mobs need to get a lot more health and damage.

I'll talk about PVP later.

*I want you to remember this when you hate me for my opinions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Most if not all your complaints are universal to every game in the series. Dodge rolling and strafing is king. NG+ has always been bit lacking compared to something like Devil May Cry.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rolling in DS3 is the strongest its ever been. Estus Chugging too. NG+ in DS2 was at least a bit different and a good direction compared to +rings only.

Has anyone ever messed around with the Mangrub stafF?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

WaltherFeng posted:

Most if not all your complaints are universal to every game in the series. Dodge rolling and strafing is king. NG+ has always been bit lacking compared to something like Devil May Cry.

I was really hoping NG+ would be way way harder as I got finished with my first play though I was excited for a new challenge but didn't really get that I just got the same thing with +% health added to bosses. Adding health is not adding difficulty just time and not a lot of it. There is so much you could do with a NG+ mechanic and they did almost nothing with it.

I love this game so much but want to see some improvements that wouldn't cost a lot but add so much to the game. Personally I would be willing to PAY for some of these improvements in DLC.

Szcwczuk fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 8, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DS2 has fantastic NG+ with tons of new and harder enemies added, and like in DS3 you can get +2 versions (on NG+ already) of rings you cannot otherwise get, but you can also MAKE the bosses be like NG+ bosses even if you yourself are on NG, so you ARE able to get all rings on your first playthrough if you so desire.

It also hosed with rolling in that you had to level a stat to get better rolling, which murdered many players because it's never stated that it does so, and I think rolling being absurdly supercharged in DS3 is a gigantic backpedal because players hated Agility so much (it, by the way, also affected chugging speed). Coming off DS2 complaints it's easy to see why DS3 did many of its decisions, but I'm very much of the opinion that they went too far.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ditching dumb stuff like agility was good, but they also threw out almost all of dark souls 2's improvements as well because I guess they read that people on the internet didn't like it as much. But rather than look at why that is and take a nuanced approach, they just ignored why 2 is a really good game (even if not quite as great a Dark Souls game) while getting so loving self-referential about dark souls 1 that their head pretty much has to be lodged in their colon by now.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
what does it mean when it says a dark spirit "found something and left"?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How difficult are the previous two games compared to 3?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Liu posted:

what does it mean when it says a dark spirit "found something and left"?

Mad spirits can do one of two objectives; kill the host or kill other summoned guys (including other dark spirits). That message plays when they choose the latter.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I do miss lifegems from Dark Souls 2. It does fundamentally change the game and I know why they got removed, as you can have full health before every encounter without using estus. But for trying to get people who were new at this game to get kinda far, it was a good crutch besides telling them to gitgud and run past everything.

That and being able to carry more than 198 arrows total. The one thing I hated about bloodborne was the stupid storage caps on items. I can deal with only having 99 arrows when alive, but the limit of 99 in storage sucks for the multiple times greirat leaves and eventually dies. He disappeared and his ashes wouldn't spawn till I hit the final boss.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Boz0r posted:

Id put the difficulty around 2>3>1 with 2 being hardest. Though this can change depending on what the DLC offers for dark souls 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boz0r posted:

About the same really, DS1 is probably the 'easiest' just because everything moves kinda slow compared to the later games, though that includes you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Boz0r posted:

DS2 has a very rough start unless you know about a few key things (some item placements and you do absolutely want to level Adaptability), then mellows out considerably and has a rather steady, if sometimes boring curve, depending a little on where you go first (it's very branching). DS1 starts out the easiest of the games, but its difficulty is all over the place, with some really nasty spikes even rather early. You can mitigate a lot of that, but again, that requires knowledge of a bunch of tricks. If you really know what you're doing, DS1 is probably the simplest to just obliterate, DS2 just becomes a smoother ride.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 has fantastic NG+ with tons of new and harder enemies added, and like in DS3 you can get +2 versions (on NG+ already) of rings you cannot otherwise get, but you can also MAKE the bosses be like NG+ bosses even if you yourself are on NG, so you ARE able to get all rings on your first playthrough if you so desire.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in DS3's NG+, enemies and bosses don't feel much harder and I haven't noticed any new enemy placements or changes to existing enemies. :(

Overall really enjoyed the game still but don't think I'll stick around for the PVP and to max out all the covenants like I did in DS2.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Iretep posted:

Id put the difficulty around 2>3>1 with 2 being hardest. Though this can change depending on what the DLC offers for dark souls 3.

I think that 2 just feels more like a chore than it's that much harder overall. The abundance of healing items makes it less terrifying going through an area, s to even it out they added in lots more enemies and it's just a bit of a tedious slog.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the twinkling dragon head stone is a bit poo poo. i was hoping for more damage or poise damage at least

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shannow posted:

I think that 2 just feels more like a chore than it's that much harder overall. The abundance of healing items makes it less terrifying going through an area, s to even it out they added in lots more enemies and it's just a bit of a tedious slog.

That never helped me because I hoard consumables like an insane person so I only ever used Estus to heal.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Shannow posted:

stuff kills you a lot faster in 2 and you have slower estus chugging to the point where some harder bosses are begging you to chug at a wrong time so they can murder you. also yeah i hoard consumables so the healing items did no good to me.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jose posted:

the twinkling dragon head stone is a bit poo poo. i was hoping for more damage or poise damage at least

Yeah the head stones suck. The plain torso stone has its uses.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dark Souls 2 is cool because if you go Deprived (the best class) your starting weapon would almost always break between bonfires and the only weapons you could really equip with your stats were copies of the same piece of poo poo broken sword haha.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

considering the weight and stat requirements for the FUGS it should really do more damage than the dragon tooth

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Einwand posted:

How do some of these people make it so far in the game, sunbroing nameless king for a little bit and we all flawless the first phase, and then the host gets hit once for about 700 damage from the actual boss and dies from full hp.

I think this sometimes and then I remember all the embarrassing ways I've died either as a phantom or as a host.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why I never co-op, my failures are mine and mine alone

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Uploaded my second sorcery run for anyone still wondering about sorcery. I included my equip screen when I thought of it. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxbANwLVeJ0

Boss List if you want to go to a specific one:

Iudex Gundyr :36
Vordt of the Boreal Valley 2:44
Curse-rotted Greatwood 4:36
Crystal Sage 8:47
Deacons of the Deep 12:07
Abyss Watchers 15:36
Old Demon King 18:44
High Lord Wolnir 20:51
Pontiff Sulyvahn 22:50
Yhorm 24:55
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 26:59
Dancer of the Boreal Valley 31:58
Dragonslayer Armour 34:02
Consumed King Oceiros 35:33
Ancient Wyvern 37:23
King of the Storm / Nameless King 42:22
Champion Gundyr 45:49
Princes Lothric and Lorian 47:19
Soul of Cinder 51:48

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Uploaded my second sorcery run for anyone still wondering about sorcery. I included my equip screen when I thought of it. :downs:

Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 26:59
Dancer of the Boreal Valley 31:58
Dragonslayer Armour 34:02
Consumed King Oceiros 35:33
Ancient Wyvern 37:23
King of the Storm / Nameless King 42:22
Champion Gundyr 45:49
Princes Lothric and Lorian 47:19
Soul of Cinder 51:48

have you messed with the mangrub staff at all?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Kild posted:

have you messed with the mangrub staff at all?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

turtlecrunch posted: