Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shine posted:

That would be cool, yeah. Space Rangers 2 (FRONTIER PLEASE COPY) had missions like that, where you were tasked with preventing civilian deaths in an area for X amount of time, so if a pirate attacked a trader and you ran the pirate off, it contributed to your success and thus felt rewarding.

This would be awesome, and actually make hanging out waiting in an area tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Conskill posted:

Does the range increase also increase fuel consumption?
It's a bit complicated, but no.

In short: increasing the range of your drive will decrease the fuel consumed per LY travelled.

In long: Fuel consumption isn't a constant based on distance travelled, it's proportional to how far you jump in comparison to your maximum range. So for a given ship, max range jumps will always consume the same fuel whether they're 10LY long or 40LY long. Shorter than max range jumps are more fuel efficient (i.e. you'll get further overall), but more time consuming (i.e. use in emergencies only, or you'll want to kill yourself).

I don't think I'm explaining this well, but it's loving late. Go read the wiki!

Stanko-Prussian posted:

i think i have a boxed copy of this somewhere, if i can find it i'm going to send it to frontier fao davey brabes
I hope the postmark isn't Santa Monica, they'll think they've been sent spiders or something.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 8, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

El Grillo posted:

Mike Evans responded with "the discussion here and the actual points from the OP are totally valid and are concerns we've had internally before and will continue to have as the beta continues so do as the mod says.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to integrate missions into the engineer system in a meaningful way any time soon so it's probably not going to be updated at all during the beta."
Welp, it'll be a fun idea to polish up in 3.1.

Shake Lockerman
Jul 5, 2013

O, rejoice!
For soon the world will burst with wombs
The sun will claw for the trees in vain
And an ocean of bones will creak below
I'd kind of stopped playing shortly after Horizons came out as I'm sort of stuck at around 20 million credits and I can't seem to ever find missions to increase my rank and the time sink and grind just became too much.
Has anything changed/am I big dumb idiot who doesn't know how to play, or do I just need to invest another five hundred hours to get anything better than a Vulture?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Libluini posted:

I'm hoping they deal with that before the beta is over. But yeah, even in the stable 2.0 build you get the occasional "long jumps". Still, cutting out 7,5 seconds per jump piles up fast.

On exploration builds (long range runs) you would end up having to wait for the fuel scope anyway

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

1500 posted:

On exploration builds (long range runs) you would end up having to wait for the fuel scope anyway

What it could do is squarely decide the normal-vs-super cruise turn around choice you get with some of the larger and less agile ships. A lot of time is spent slooooowly turning around in SC when scanning stars and planets, and there's always this vague choice to make whether it's faster to just drop out of SC, turn around, and low-wake out in the right direction — cutting down the timer means it's almost never a choice any more.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

One of the best parts of the mission payout overhaul isn't about long range smuggling payouts (although those are really nice as mid-late game income), it's that smuggling missions in the bubble are now paying up to ~2m for 25t of cargo to systems <15LY away. It'll make getting started for newer players so much better and I really hope they don't adjust the payouts too much for that reason alone.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the payout values are being calculated purely on distance from Sol and no other factors. Once they update it to take into account other stuff like how far away the destination station is when generating the payout for systems outside the bubble the values will be more reasonable if they're between close stations but will still be worth a lot if it's a proper long range (i.e. 300LY) mission and they won't really need to nerf anything.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Shine posted:

That would be cool, yeah. Space Rangers 2 (FRONTIER PLEASE COPY) had missions like that, where you were tasked with preventing civilian deaths in an area for X amount of time, so if a pirate attacked a trader and you ran the pirate off, it contributed to your success and thus felt rewarding.

Space Rangers HD is an acceptable HD port.

I would unironically enjoy doing text missions in Elite.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
On the plus side, the traffic control voices go a long way towards making the universe feel more alive.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have my Federal Assault Ship. Wheee! Turns way better than an Asp.

Suggested weapons load-out? I was thinking 3 medium beams and 2 large frag cannons.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

H13 posted:

I have my Federal Assault Ship. Wheee! Turns way better than an Asp.

Suggested weapons load-out? I was thinking 3 medium beams and 2 large frag cannons.
The FAS only has 2 large and 2 medium hardpoints.

If you want to use frag cannons I think people often use 1 large/2 medium frag cannons (on the lower hardpoints) and a large burst laser on top.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mercurius posted:

If you want to use frag cannons I think people often use 1 large/2 medium frag cannons (on the lower hardpoints) and a large burst beam laser on top.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

The engineer I visited gave range increase by giving a bonus to mass optimization, so since mass also influences fuel consumption, the answer is a "maybe"?

FSDs are still limited on how much fuel they can consume in one go, I haven't seen any upgrades that increase how much fuel the FSD can burn, just ones that increase the optimal mass of the drive so fuel burn should, at worst, not change at all, and probably decrease since you'll be making max range jumps less frequently.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Space Rangers HD is an acceptable HD port.

I would unironically enjoy doing text missions in Elite.

I look forward to getting a mission from the space mafia to enter a planetside race and then cheat my way to 1st.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My FAS loadout until recently was a beam on top and all frags on the bottom, and it's wonderful. Fire the frags around 300m or so, and making contact with all of them will rip hulls apart.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mercurius posted:

If you want to use frag cannons I think people often use 1 large/2 medium frag cannons (on the lower hardpoints) and a large burst laser on top.
This is the loadout I'm currently running and is amazing in PvE.
Burst has the better hull damage of the three lasers, so it can be used to deal with ships not worth using the tri-frags on while still dealing great shield damage; Beam I believe is better at simply stripping away the shields so that against larger ships it's better to keep them vulnerable but deal less hull damage overall.

alr
May 14, 2009
If you want to muck around with a FAS, try 2 medium PACs, 1 large PAC on the bottom, and something else up top. I use a large cannon, a large multicannon might work, use that when you need to cool the ship down. An alpha strike + full speed ram against a ship you're not in combat with is an easy setup and will strip its shields (possibly not on a Python).

Always ram if you have the chance, it's fun and effective!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

radintorov posted:

This is the loadout I'm currently running and is amazing in PvE.
Burst has the better hull damage of the three lasers, so it can be used to deal with ships not worth using the tri-frags on while still dealing great shield damage; Beam I believe is better at simply stripping away the shields so that against larger ships it's better to keep them vulnerable but deal less hull damage overall.

Beams still have more raw damage output on the hull than bursts IIRC, and if you use three frags, you can keep the beam firing almost indefinitely if you got the distributor A classed.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I was having a good time with a single pulse laser and triple multicannons on my FAS, worked surprisingly well. Plus pretty tracers, yay!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's going to be even more fun with the new C3 multicannon, methinks. I'm going to have to resist the urge to go all multicannons on my Ferdie and just splurge on weapon upgrades until I luck out and get incendiaries for all of them.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rectus posted:

Beams still have more raw damage output on the hull than bursts IIRC, and if you use three frags, you can keep the beam firing almost indefinitely if you got the distributor A classed.
Beams do more hull DPS if you're not targeting modules but since 1.5/2.0 were released Bursts have better penetration and damage to modules which is really nice when you're targeting power plants. I used to be 100% beams all the time but I'm slowly coming around that they're not always the best choice.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mercurius posted:

Beams do more hull DPS if you're not targeting modules but since 1.5/2.0 were released Bursts have better penetration and damage to modules which is really nice when you're targeting power plants. I used to be 100% beams all the time but I'm slowly coming around that they're not always the best choice.

Oh, that sounds really good. I might try running with bursts, although frags on the FAS will rip bigger ships apart so quickly it doesn't matter that much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wasn't going to do a lot of combat, but trading really got boring, so I've embraced it. Really digging the Cobra.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm thinking of picking this up on Xbox. I played the demo a while back and remember that the controls for flight and menu navigation were quite cumbersome and overwhelming to say the least. I really just jumped into it without training though. Crashed hard my first few landings. It's a beautiful game and the sound effects/environments are great.

Do the controls get easier with some practice? What's the overall experience one Xbox? Can you use the headset for voice commands?

What's the easiest way to start playing solo and make money/get moving with the storyline and all. I think I'd mainly like to explore and shoot pirates and get big ships. Reminds me a bit of X3 tbh.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I played about 150 hours on PC with an xbox pad during my HOTAS hiatus. Hated it at first, but yes, you will get used to it and it will be fine. I got used to it, at least.

Also, there is no story. Have a story in your head.

DadWilly fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 8, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So it looks like you get fines for abandoning missions at robigo now. Is there any way to counteract this so you can board skim? I'm at Elite in trading so I can take the fat missions but the fines seem as big as the profits from selling

Never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 8, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I use 2x large beam, 2x frags on my FAS. It tears apart ships quite easily.

Once Engineers is out, I'm going to switch to 2x med beams, 2x large multicannons for dakka.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Is it better for me to stick with the Cobra III a while and upgrade the poo poo out of it, or just upgrade what really needs to be and work towards an even higher-end craft?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is it better for me to stick with the Cobra III a while and upgrade the poo poo out of it, or just upgrade what really needs to be and work towards an even higher-end craft?

What do you want to do?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I dunno. I thought I'd hate combat but I actually like it. I had an Adder for a while, but not enough money to do any major trading.

I haven't tried any exploration yet, though.

E: Oh it's a Viper, not a Cobra. One o' them snake things.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

One o' them snake things.
Yeah, that's not really going to narrow it down any.. :D

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This, plus the previously mentioned time that you'll still lose to glitched load screens, plus the fact that increasing your range reduces travel time twice (it cuts the number of jumps you need to make over the same route, but it also frequently opens up better routes). You gotta get that double dip, girl. More range is an easy pick for explorers, even if you're just looking at reducing travel time and not considering the awesome ability to go places no ship has yet gone!

The timer reduction is for scootin' the loving boot when you're under fire in the bubble, but I'm excited for that too.

Does the navcomp account for the increased range, or does it still plot you 30-ly routes? My guess is the latter, but fingers crossed optimistically?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, that's not really going to narrow it down any.. :D

The root of my question is really do I stick with a lower-tier ship for a while and upgrade the everloving poo poo out of it, or race my way to the top and then grind upgrades for it?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The root of my question is really do I stick with a lower-tier ship for a while and upgrade the everloving poo poo out of it, or race my way to the top and then grind upgrades for it?

You get 100% of your money back when you sell upgrades, so you may as well upgrade the ship as you go. Just make sure you sell your upgrades on the outfitting screen before you sell the ship. If you sell the ship without first selling the upgrades, then you'll only get a 90% refund on the upgrades.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's not an either-or. Upgraded equipment can be returned to the store for exactly as much as you paid for it, so you can upgrade your ship as money comes in, and then when you think you're ready to change ships, go to the outfitters first and sell/downgrade everything as much as possible, so you get back basically every credit you spent on upgrades.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh, well, excellent!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If you like combat, the best straight upgrade from the Cobra is a Vulture, which will cost you at the very least about 9 millions for a basic serviceable layout.

Which, coincidentally, is the cost of a fully upgraded Cobra. So since selling ship parts refunds you 100% I would go for upgrading your Cobra, once it's maxed out and you have a couple more millions in the bank you can sell it off and go to vulture, and keep upgrading that, it's awesome and can kill basically anything (PvE) once you splurge on good internals.

Otherwise there's ships that are more combat oriented than the Cobra and cheaper than the vulture, see Viper mk III and diamondback scout, but they are mostly sidegrades (more agility /shields/ better convergence but same weapons).

Or you can go for a courier, requires some imperial rank and a hefty hull price of 2.5 mil, but it's very cheap to fit since it uses small components and very fast, agile and has great shields + 3 medium hardpoints.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TorakFade posted:

If you like combat, the best straight upgrade from the Cobra is a Vulture, which will cost you at the very least about 9 millions for a basic serviceable layout.

You can outfit a D-ranked Vulture for <6 million and it can easily kill Anacondas.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

You can outfit a D-ranked Vulture for <6 million and it can easily kill Anacondas.

Sounds a tad low to me, the minimum I would go for is this fit here for 9 mil excluding discounts.. Yeah I need that 4A fsd, I hate having 10ly jump range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

TorakFade posted:

Or you can go for a courier, requires some imperial rank and a hefty hull price of 2.5 mil, but it's very cheap to fit since it uses small components and very fast, agile and has great shields + 3 medium hardpoints.

I might return to the courier with the advent of those super engines, but I had a lot of trouble in practice with the hardpoints. Felt like due to how spread out they were I had to line up poo poo even with my gimbled weapons or else risk only getting 2 guns on a target.

• Locked thread