Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

If any media or music is playing that's exactly what they do anyway?

I think what he/she wants is to always adjust media volume even when not playing anything, and leave the ringtone volume alone. I definitely can see wanting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 6P and I really don't like that when I press up or down on the volume button that it controls the ring volume of my phone. Is there any way to make it so that it just adjusts the system / media volume instead of the ring volume?

Press the up or down volume button and then on the screen to the right of where the volume is shown, tap the down arrow and adjust the one with the music note.

Edit: mine does a pretty good job of knowing which one I want to adjust. If music is playing it defaults to media volume. Otherwise when no sounds are playing it defaults to ring and notification volume.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

beerinator posted:

Press the up or down volume button and then on the screen to the right of where the volume is shown, tap the down arrow and adjust the one with the music note.

This. You can pre-adjust any volume from this panel.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Picked up a Nexus 5x with Google Fi recently and checked the last few pages of the thread; any recommendations for two things:

Power Bank that supports rapid charging via USB Type-C for the phone. I've got a small compartment above the glove box (kleenex box size) for storage with USB-A ports that I can just plug the power bank into to charge it from the car so it's always full in case I forget to charge a device and I need it. This is what I'm looking at so far.

A cable with USB-A to USB-C/USB-Mini/Lightning outputs to go with it so I can output to an iPhone or USB-Mini device if necessary. Retractable into a reel would be ideal, because as mentioned above I'd like to throw it in my car and not have it clutter up everything; not sure if the cable also has to support USB-C rapid charging or if that's just assumed as part of the standard. e: Depending on the way the charger works I'll settle for keeping my old 3-in-1 retractable and carrying a second cord just for the usb-c to usb-c rapid charging for my phone.

There are roughly a billion articles about power banks and wall chargers and rapid charging recommending a hundred different devices, but if folks have a go to standard it'd be much appreciated.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 7, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mo_Steel posted:

Picked up a Nexus 5x with Google Fi recently and checked the last few pages of the thread; any recommendations for two things:

Power Bank that supports rapid charging via USB Type-C for the phone. I've got a small compartment above the glove box (kleenex box size) for storage with USB-A ports that I can just plug the power bank into to charge it from the car so it's always full in case I forget to charge a device and I need it. This is what I'm looking at so far.

A cable with USB-A to USB-C/USB-Mini/Lightning outputs to go with it so I can output to an iPhone or USB-Mini device if necessary. Retractable into a reel would be ideal, because as mentioned above I'd like to throw it in my car and not have it clutter up everything; not sure if the cable also has to support USB-C rapid charging or if that's just assumed as part of the standard. e: Depending on the way the charger works I'll settle for keeping my old 3-in-1 retractable and carrying a second cord just for the usb-c to usb-c rapid charging for my phone.

There are roughly a billion articles about power banks and wall chargers and rapid charging recommending a hundred different devices, but if folks have a go to standard it'd be much appreciated.

Anker

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 6P and I really don't like that when I press up or down on the volume button that it controls the ring volume of my phone. Is there any way to make it so that it just adjusts the system / media volume instead of the ring volume?

I have a 6 and I really don't like that the power button turns my phone on and off. Is there a way I could make it bring up the "about this phone" screen instead?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I have a 6 and I really don't like that the power button turns my phone on and off. Is there a way I could make it bring up the "about this phone" screen instead?

Lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Home button should load Google maps and give a route home

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I will say I think I'd prefer phones defaulted to media volume over notification volume, but thats just cuz i listen to a lot o fmusic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I will say I think I'd prefer phones defaulted to media volume over notification volume, but thats just cuz i listen to a lot o fmusic.

Same, it's a reasonable thing to ask about.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The Mango posted:

3) Just save up my money and at some point spend the $600 on the real deal, an Oculus Rift

The Oculus Rift is an overpriced tech demo, the real deal is the HTC Vive.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Whizbang posted:

Your VR Sucks

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

Whizbang posted:

The HTC Vive does look very impressive, however at $829 the price is even steeper than the Rift. I am curious about VR, yes, but not $829 curious. I ordered a Viewmaster for $18.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BottleKnight posted:

Your VR Sucks

Inspect Your Goggles

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it? I don't think there are a significant amount of people that would want to change their media volume when there is no media playing. If they DO want to do that, it's two clicks away instead of one.

But if you really need that feature, and you don't mind rooting, then GravityBox had that option last I used it. I have no idea if Xposed and GravityBox are still a thing though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I change my media volume frequently, sometimes wanting to turn it down before I open a video or song or whatever. otoh i literally never adjust the notification volume except by accident when I want to change the media volume

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Keeping a large sized li-ion battery in a nonvented storage compartment in your hot car's dashboard is a good way to set your car on fire. It only takes a half hour in the sun on a warm day for the interior of a car to top 120°F. If you expose a li-ion battery to repeated cycles of this you're almost guaranteeing an explosion.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Keeping a large sized li-ion battery in a nonvented storage compartment in your hot car's dashboard is a good way to set your car on fire. It only takes a half hour in the sun on a warm day for the interior of a car to top 120°F. If you expose a li-ion battery to repeated cycles of this you're almost guaranteeing an explosion.

Hopefully he only intends to keep it there while charging, and I don't know of any cars that will charge anything while they're not running.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Hopefully he only intends to keep it there while charging, and I don't know of any cars that will charge anything while they're not running.

All GM cars used to.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

All GM cars used to.

Really? That sounds like a terrible idea.

E: almost as terrible as storing batteries in a hot car.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Really? That sounds like a terrible idea.

E: almost as terrible as storing batteries in a hot car.

I've not tried in a model newer than the turn of the century W-body but I know for certain the 12V ports do not switch off. Might be different for the USB ports.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

Samsung probably includes a quick toggle for this.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

On a Samsung phone changing volume has a chevron on the dialog you can press to see/adjust all the various volumes.

Sorry about your lovely stock android phones that lack Samsung enhancements.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That is in stock Android, and was even mentioned.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah, every phone has that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

On a Samsung phone changing volume has a chevron on the dialog you can press to see/adjust all the various volumes.

Sorry about your lovely stock android phones that lack Samsung enhancements.

Lol look at how dumb you look right now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I hope Samsung has a toggle for making dumb posts

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Desk Lamp posted:

Correct; I'd keep the battery pack with my laptop bag for those occasions when I run out to a location for work using GPS and my phone(s) are low; I can quick charge the phone(s), then connect the power bank to the car to recharge it on the drive back so I know it's full when I stick it back in the laptop bag. I'd be more concerned with hurting the life / capacity of the batteries from the temperature changes, as 140 F is usually in the range of operating temperatures from what I've seen but the fluctuation leaving it in there overnight wouldn't be good.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 8, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hooah posted:

That is in stock Android, and was even mentioned.

In that case I would ask why is this even a complaint but then again, android thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rastor posted:

In that case I would ask why is this even a complaint but then again, android thread.

He doesn't want the buttons to change the notification volume by default. Can you change the default behavior of the buttons on Samsungs?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If there's media playing at the time you press then, then the buttons do adjust the volume of that, don't they?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He doesn't want the buttons to change the notification volume by default. Can you change the default behavior of the buttons on Samsungs?

No, but believe it or not, you can change that default behaviour on Blackberry 10 :v:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
P.s. One thing I am missing in Marshmallow coming from Cyanogen is the ability to skip tracks when the screen is off by long pressing the volume buttons. Is there any way to make that happen? It's super useful when driving.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

chippy posted:

If there's media playing at the time you press then, then the buttons do adjust the volume of that, don't they?

Yes it does, but I think I would actually like the buttons to not change the notification volume, ever, unless I specifically go into the sound settings. It's not a big deal but it would be a useful feature for me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it? I don't think there are a significant amount of people that would want to change their media volume when there is no media playing. If they DO want to do that, it's two clicks away instead of one.

But if you really need that feature, and you don't mind rooting, then GravityBox had that option last I used it. I have no idea if Xposed and GravityBox are still a thing though.

thats 3 clicks, one to change volume, another to open up the thing, and then finally u can adjust media volume.
Think about how many clicks that is!!! its insane

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Right.... except this is a completely reasonable request to want to have the volume button on my phone actually control the media volume instead of the ring volume. My phone is 99% of the time on "Alarms Only" Ring Volume. I adjust the media volume very frequently.... listening to music, watching videos, snapchat / instagram videos etc. It's annoying when I want to adjust the volume before I do any of the previous things mentioned and it tries to adjust the ring volume instead of the media volume.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes it does, but I think I would actually like the buttons to not change the notification volume, ever, unless I specifically go into the sound settings. It's not a big deal but it would be a useful feature for me.

Yeah, I'd like the volume buttons to strictly control the media volume too, especially since I almost never change the notification volume. If that were just a slider above or below the brightness slider in the pull-down settings menu, that would be fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

This is a good and reasonable wish that I second.

I never, ever, ever want to change notification volume. Sometimes I'll want to change media volume before I start playing the media because I don't want it blasting my loving windows out when the media starts.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

chippy posted:

P.s. One thing I am missing in Marshmallow coming from Cyanogen is the ability to skip tracks when the screen is off by long pressing the volume buttons. Is there any way to make that happen? It's super useful when driving.

Check out Wave Control. It uses your proximity sensor to tell the phone to do things-- like swipe over it once to change tracks, twice for previous, etc. I find it very useful while driving and listening to music. Free version is fine, but getting rid of ads is pretty cheap if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

I've not tried in a model newer than the turn of the century W-body but I know for certain the 12V ports do not switch off. Might be different for the USB ports.

Coming in late, but relevant. My '01 Camaro's 12v plug was always on. My '16 Malibu has one that's only on with ignition and another that's always-on.

It also has a Li Ion battery in the trunk that runs accessories during auto-stop.