Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

What are the freshest judo memes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Show me the dank ones

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Nierbo posted:

I don't know if this is like widespread knowledge or not but there's some crazy guy going to gyms and beating up on people who are just sparring or training lightly. He is literally mentally disturbed and if anyone LA goons see this guy in their gym, do not train with him. He's completely nuts. He's the guy that started swinging against Floyd Mayweather Sr before he was ready. He literally thinks he is a world champion boxer and calls out fighters much better than him and goes and gets his rear end whupped and then goes on FB and youtube and tells a story about how he just won. Its insane. He's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJqm7Vty6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22F4DGAL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3M_pHEsp0

Haha these are insane. Forwarded them to a friend of mine last night and he's been nonstop scouring the Internet for new ones ever since

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

All the hot judo memes are at Tumblr. I don't find them really funny, and they give a "meh" feeling when you look at a few of them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Novum posted:

What are the freshest judo memes?

I'm still mad that Judo Hobo wasn't named Aikido Hobo. Those look more like aikido pants to me.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

can we get an amusing excerpt from the judo personal growth blog?

I completely zone out when she talked to me because she just writes everything in her cell phone and tells me when what she wrote when I am doing anything that requires my attention. I think the last time is when she learned all the chokes and being blacked out on one of the chokes was a spiritual experiences . Another one was how it is fun to go to Pizza Hut with the club after Friday's practice is fun. My girlfriend read them and they aren't great.

She does this with Memes and anything else she wants to share.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You should tell her about this great website called Tumblr.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Barfed on a visiting blackbelt last night. Practice was pretty much over and he asked if I was up for one more round. Not going to say no, so
I went at it. 2 minutes later I'm in his guard and just lost it. Luckily it was all water, and I caught it all in my own lapel (classy like that). He seemed to think it was cool I went so hard but holy gently caress was it embarrassing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ahaha. I've come close a couple times.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This is the best martial art c/d

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok - now the first reaction of most viewers will be that this is stupid cult-like bullshit and that instructor is a fraud. But take a look at that class - it's one Asian instructor with a whole bunch of white dorks. One enterprising Asian man found a bunch of gravitas and turned up the orientialism and was able to convince a bunch of quasi-racist white kids to give him money while they bounce around like idiots in skirts.

This guy owns, and I'd do the exact same thing if I could pull it off.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

my gym just grew in power

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Slam people into it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

my gym just grew in power

Well... Pack it in boys looks like this gym is the best gym.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We could never have a Mortal Kombat cabinet in our gym. The poo poo-talking and fights that would break out over it would make it unsafe to have around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My team is trying to convince me to do Sanshou nationals. Cost isn't an issue. I've been training a lot to prep one of the other guys. I'm 32 and am trying to decide when to stop sparring and ease up from the sport. Should I do it? Not really worried about doing well or getting hurt -- I think that if I do it, it might be enough to just keep me out of the gym for good. Just have a lot of mixed emotions about it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What are the negatives?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Seems to me like a good way to go out if you're on that road already my dude. Good for old man story time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

What are the negatives?

If I stop kickboxing, I don't have that physical hobby that'll keep me in shape.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't follow. Do the comp, why wouldn't you?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The way I see it, I can keep training at the gym for another year or so, or cut weight, do the competition, and call it quits. I don't wanna do kickboxing forever -- I'm taking more damage than I'd like in the long term.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
switch to bjj already and just ruin your joints

the damage to your eyes you mentioned a while ago sounds pretty scary

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If you feel like you're on the way out though then you will probably regret not doing the comp.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

competition is for people who want to compete. you don't sound like one of those atm. no one is forcing you to do it. it is ok.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

If I stop kickboxing, I don't have that physical hobby that'll keep me in shape.

kimbo305 posted:

The way I see it, I can keep training at the gym for another year or so, or cut weight, do the competition, and call it quits. I don't wanna do kickboxing forever -- I'm taking more damage than I'd like in the long term.

It sounds like you need to find another physical hobby that's less damaging to your body, and if you don't do it now, you're going to need to do it in year or so anyway. The competition might be a good opportunity for you to make a clean break with this chapter.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

You do a lot of cycling

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fatherdog posted:

It sounds like you need to find another physical hobby that's less damaging to your body, and if you don't do it now, you're going to need to do it in year or so anyway. The competition might be a good opportunity for you to make a clean break with this chapter.

Now that I'm at a computer, I can expound. I really like the intellectual stimulation that training provides. You spar, see new patterns, try to figure out how to exploit them, practice those things, and bring a new game to the next session. That's what keep sucking me back into the gym. My knees are pretty bad, and god knows what I've done to my brain over time. But all that said, those downsides aren't scary enough to outweigh the thrill of getting in there and executing, of making your whole skillset work.

I do think it's wiser to cap it all off with the finality that a tournament would provide, to have a really good reason to say I didn't need to pursue more of it. Emotionally though, I think it's hard to accept that I have to make a call to end it, so I'd rather just punt it and not make the decision now.

Novum posted:

You do a lot of cycling
The thing that sucks about cycling is that the preferred training time is in the early morning, which is such a bummer. I love doing training at night after work.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

origami posted:

switch to bjj already and just grind yourself to dust

Fixed.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Switch to kendo :D

Here's a match between a 93 y/o and a 102 y/o from this years Kyoto Taikai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLpfxbHyJE

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kekekela posted:

Haha these are insane. Forwarded them to a friend of mine last night and he's been nonstop scouring the Internet for new ones ever since

I think word of his antics has now become a bit more wide spread because he got set up and the poo poo kicked out of him by someone who knew what they were doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0eFFRslk4

Mentally ill or not, it doesn't excuse being such a horrible prick and im glad to see someone do what he has been doing to other people.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Switch to kendo :D

Here's a match between a 93 y/o and a 102 y/o from this years Kyoto Taikai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLpfxbHyJE

I wonder what sort of diet and routine I should start doing now to be able to do that if I ever lived to be > 90.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Mentally ill or not, it doesn't excuse being such a horrible prick and im glad to see someone do what he has been doing to other people.

I think it categorically does though? ?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

like if your stance is 'gently caress up all retards' it looks like you're on the chopping block pal

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Instead of beating up the retard, let's dispense goon justice and mail him a fake macbook

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

neonburzt posted:

I wonder what sort of diet and routine I should start doing now to be able to do that if I ever lived to be > 90.

Step 1: move to Japan.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel like that guy's reputation is starting to precede him and somebody's going to seriously hurt him and cause themselves problems.

That said anyone know where I can get a Team Zelenoff beanie?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Wangsbig posted:

I think it categorically does though? ?

Is there a mental illness that specifically results in someone actively wanting to bully innocent friendly people and hurt them, and brag about it, repeatedly, on purpose? He might be mentally ill but at some point the notion of right from wrong comes into it surely?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Is there a mental illness that specifically results in someone actively wanting to bully innocent friendly people and hurt them, and brag about it, repeatedly, on purpose? He might be mentally ill but at some point the notion of right from wrong comes into it surely?

you've put me in a tough spot because responding to you in earnest would be the equivalent of what I'm trying to speak against here. well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

you've put me in a tough spot because responding to you in earnest would be the equivalent of what I'm trying to speak against here. well played.

BJJ style posting.

• Locked thread