Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

:stare: I've read Calvin & Hobbes for 20 years, and this is the first time I got the analogy here. drat, Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp

Pancho Jueves posted:

:stare: I've read Calvin & Hobbes for 20 years, and this is the first time I got the analogy here. drat, Bill.

I'm in the same situation, and I didn't get it until you mentioned it!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 14, 1951)

Barnaby (September 19, 1942)

Nancy (May 29, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 9, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 10, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 24, 1936)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

The Whoops Sisters 1926, The New Yorker
I know, I know, The New Yorker - but give it a chance.

A random tweet led me to the work of Peter Arno today.

The New Yorker posted:

In the spring of 1925, the young cartoonist Peter Arno gathered together some of his drawings, stuffed them into a folder, and travelled uptown to drop them off at the offices of a new weekly magazine headquartered on West Forty-fifth Street.

His first drawing appeared in The New Yorker's June 20, 1925, issue.

Arno found The New Yorker—and The New Yorker found Arno—at exactly the right time. Just four months old, the magazine was already suffering from a declining readership and teetering on the brink of collapse. More money was going out the door than coming in. The New Yorker cartoons had not yet been invented . . . what was being published in those first months was a rich and varied range of illustrations, satiric sketches, spots, and caricatures.

In the spring of 1926, when Philip Wylie spied some drawings of a pair of older women in Arno’s portfolio. The sisters—christened Pansy Smiff and Mrs. Abagail Flusser, or the Whoops Sisters—were introduced in the pages of the magazine in April of 1926. They were not just sweet little old ladies—they were naughty, boisterous, grinning “wink wink, nudge nudge” sweet little old ladies; their language laced with double entendres. As often as not, the captions contained the word “Whoops!”

In turning the sweet-little-old-lady cliché upside down, the Sisters were a perfect vehicle for Arno, allowing him to mine one of his favorite themes—sex—in a harmless way. Their brand of humor wasn’t to everyone’s taste: the New Yorker writer Brendan Gill, writing in the magazine in 1968, admitted that, “by our standards, the Whoops Sisters are not very funny.” But they enjoyed a remarkable run, appearing sixty-three times in the magazine between 1926 and 1927. Their wild popularity spawned a short-lived syndicated comic strip and a fifteen-minute daily radio series.

Arno, writing about the sisters years later, said, “They came to me at a time they were most needed, both by me, and by The New Yorker, and after running several years they had served their purpose … so I quietly interred them, before I or others grew tired of them.”

Arno himself is quite the character, this Vanity Fair article goes into more detail. Dragging Desi Arnaz to a brothel is a nice touch. http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/04/peter-arno-the-new-yorker-cartoonist

Our artist, hard at work:

Thanks to a long night at work, and New Yorker archives, I have all 63. If you hate them, hey, it'll be a short run.

It's interesting to note that all of the comics were run during prohibition, and in most, the sisters are drunk. More on that in the VF article - The New Yorker had an alcohol stocked private club in their building - until Arno was found naked with his girlfriend there one morning.

Nice muffs.

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHH

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

True story, when I saw this strip I started hissing "fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou"....and I don't even like Merle Haggard.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

The mayor from Final Fight died?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets My loving Nightmares. The Oddly Specific One About an Island of Rattlesnakes, That Is.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The nonsensicality of the joke aside, the places you can see where stuff was cut and pasted kind of give this a different meaning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Nice Mandrake callback in panel 4.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Three panels?

I feel like my entire world is crumbling :how:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mary Worth news: http://maryworthcomics.com/2016/05/08/june-brigman-will-draw-sunday-art/

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

That seems like it'll be an art upgrade for sure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

That seems like it'll be an art upgrade for sure.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

An art upgrade to Mary Worth was something that I'd never considered and it's bizarre to see it actually look, uh, good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like that she doesn't even attempt to keep continuity with the weekday art beyond basics like "diner, short hair, 1920s moustache".

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

It's weird that Dawn looks like an actual person who is not dressed by her grandma

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That looks great but also makes the regular strips look even worse.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 8, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It's actually sort of uncomfortable to look at, it's so nice. I think I've grown accustomed to the terrible art...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
At least this makes it a bit less likely that MW follows A3G to the grave once the main artist Joe Giella (soon 88 years) gets too old/dies.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I love that Dawn has a death-grip on a sandwich in every panel. Promising start for this artist, to show such attention to character details.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (May 11, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Meanwhile, something new has been added.

When it came time give the world an Out Our Way Sunday page, J.R. Williams turned Why Mothers Get Gray into a family sitcom. We'll call it Out Our Way With The Willets because that's what some of the papers ended up calling it, and the continuity between these and the dailies were questionable at best. I'm pretty sure these aren't the first ones, but they're the first ones I have, so here you go. (January 2 and 9, 1927; click for the zoomed-in version)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

drat thats a fine sandwich

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

If an iguana doesn't burst out her chest next week, I will be greatly disappointed.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

"HI!!" :haw:

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mary Worth with good art? Multiple character models? I... I can't... :psyboom:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

June Brigman dared!! :monocle:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Jesus.

Christ.

Outbusts of Everett True

Guess If They Are Married!

The Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Yow.

Feiffer (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Wee Pals

Andy Capp

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the most enduring myths promulgated by quack psychologists.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Tunicate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tunicate posted:

The show A Crime to Remember has a good episode about it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Well the big Mary Worth news has already been broke, but here's a bigger version anyways.

Like many of you, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Rex Morgan MD

What, are they aborting this storyline? Not enough Sarah to make it worthwhile, I suppose.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's writing has hit another snag again.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kitty Genovese was a lesbian and lived with her partner, Mary Ann. Police first suspected Mary Ann, because ACAB.

http://www.autostraddle.com/this-kitty-genovese-book-though-334277/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County slept in for Mother's Day.

So it's not possible that she got bummed out by an Al Jolson record?

• Locked thread