Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

Coffeehitler posted:

Have you been annoyed by Teen Girl Detectives loving up every crime scene and bit of evidence they've come across? Because holy poo poo, would this be a problematic case. Much easier to just disappear Mr. Jefferson into a hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere.

don't forget that some of the police are in the prescott's pockets. if the girls went to the police first, do you think that the police would have actually helped them? not really and this whole thing would once again, be covered up because money talks. it's amazing that david even got some police officers to help him in the alternate timeline to even investigate it. [it was the cop from the diner, right? he was the one that helped i think]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pretty sure the police would investigate the dead teenager in a shallow grave no matter how corrupt they were.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, but in the course of an investigation, who's to say a little bit of evidence might go astray here are there? Enough to let members of the Prescott family get off scot-free?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There are also these things called state police who could care loving less about some local big Whig.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
"Looks like Rachel Amber buried herself. Close the books, boys. We got 'er."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Paul Zuvella posted:

There are also these things called state police who could care loving less about some local big Whig.

Or like, the FBI.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
But, teenagers. Specifically, angry teenager with strong anti-authority leanings and poor impulse control.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

The past is obdurate. It doesn't want to change.

EDIT: But yeah, Chloe seems to keep winding up in life-threatening situations. That could just be the nature of this being a video game, or time is really pissy about us meddling with it.

You know, I've watched this LP from the start, just reading the board, silently voting along, saying nothing. However, as time has gone on, I've thought about the game more and more and I kept thinking, "there is one constant here that the game seem to drive in." I was a little afraid of saying something because of what it might imply, but seeing this, someone else thinking the same thing, gives me a little relief in knowing I'm not reading into things TOO much, but still possibly more than I should.

That said, I want people to go into this knowing this is just pure speculation and me having seriously thought about the game a little too much. I'm also going to put this in a spoiler tag, so if you do NOT want to have someone even slightly influence you, please scroll past the wall of black.

As mentioned, in every (game)episode, in one way or another, we have the potential to see Chloe be killed. With the most recent episode, the game seemed to just drive home the fact Max is clearly using her powers JUST to save Chloe from something. At the beginning, she didn't even know who the girl in the bathroom was, but later finds out who it is and is happy she was able to save a long lost friend. As pointed out, almost akin to warning Alyssa from 4 or so flying objects, no less than 6 times has/can Chloe die, ours or not. Now, I know Max sees the storm before she sees the first death of Chloe, so there is some argument of where he powers came from, but I have this personal theory that the power behind the storm gave Max time powers just to see if she would use it. If things had been normal, chances are Max might never have even realized she had said power but throw in a childhood friend who is faced with certain death, and BAM! Traumatic sight triggers powers, Max rewinds to before the death and history is changed and Life is Strange happens.

With everything that happens, the biggest culprit in this "Chloe is the reason" theory of mine in how/why Max has this power is in the art gallery. She's set everything up for her to be a successful person by getting rid of Nathan & Mr. Jefferson, wins the "Everyday Hero's" contest, and congratulated (in a almost fan-fic 'I'm truly the best' way) over her skills yet what happens? Chloe calls and tells her the storm STILL happens with the call abruptly ending implying both she and Arcadia Bay are dead/destroyed. So what does Max do? She throws everything away and IMPLICITLY implies she is not going to let Chloe die. Yes, we see reality practically tearing itself apart in protest to this, but Max makes it clear she doesn't care and is doing everything in her power to do what she thinks is the right thing to do. Yes, I understand she is an emotional teenager and poo poo is going on around her she doesn't understand, but all of this, everything that has happened, has happened because of one choice: Saving Chloe's life.

I personally think that Chloe is fated to die and Max having stopped that is causing these world ending events, culminating into the final gently caress-Off Tornadotm which plans to destroy everything regardless. Maybe they can somehow survive it, but at what cost? The town will be all but completely destroyed and dozens to hundreds of people with be killed or injured in some way. All just so Max can keep an old friend? Friends come and go, and yes, seeing/having a friend die is not an easy thing to deal with but if you were given the choice of having one close, personal person die versus the lives of hundreds of strangers, I, personally, would chose the many over the few. Will I be devastated knowing I could have dome something? Absolutely. But also knowing that by keeping this one person alive would cost 100 strangers lives... I would make the best of the time I have, maybe abuse the powers just to enjoy time with the person more, but ultimately choose to let them die. Hell, if it was an honest game choice, I would have let Ellie die in The Last of Us just for the chance of a cure. Call me what you will, but that is who I am.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest. If people (in particular Panzer) don't like this or think this is in some way too spoilerific for a theory, I'll get rid of it.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Ben Kasack posted:

I'm sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest. If people (in particular Panzer) don't like this or think this is in some way too spoilerific for a theory, I'll get rid of it.

Please speculate away!! I live for posts like this lmao

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Ben Kasack posted:

Wall o'Spoilers

I like this idea but I'm not sure it holds water since in the last episode, Chloe is dead but the storm/tornado is still raging outside.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
To me there is kind of a plot hole in all the san francisco trip for Max.
I know it's the master trope for all time travel stories that the main character ends up going way too far back and loving it all up. And that is why that sequence exists.

I just cannot conceive a Max with powers and seeing the eco-havoc going on and just ignoring the tornado vision.

Or is there any indication I did not see that things changed so much the environment never went crazy?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

NeruVolpi posted:

To me there is kind of a plot hole in all the san francisco trip for Max.
I know it's the master trope for all time travel stories that the main character ends up going way too far back and loving it all up. And that is why that sequence exists.

I just cannot conceive a Max with powers and seeing the eco-havoc going on and just ignoring the tornado vision.

Or is there any indication I did not see that things changed so much the environment never went crazy?

She most probably didn't ignore the vision, but assumed that stopping Jefferson is going to also prevent tornado from happening.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I like this idea but I'm not sure it holds water since in the last episode, Chloe is dead but the storm/tornado is still raging outside.
Yeah, but Max has already hosed with time more than enough. I still think it fits with what I speculated before - the tornado is causality trying to reassert itself by wiping the slate clean. In that case, the cause wouldn't be Chloe dying, it would be Max getting her powers - because the one thing consistent in every timeline we've seen is her using them.
What I want to know is how the dead whales fit in. The two moons could just be a sign of timeline divergence happening. But really I'm probably just overthinking symbols.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I can see how you would think this way however...

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, but Max has already hosed with time more than enough. I still think it fits with what I speculated before - the tornado is causality trying to reassert itself by wiping the slate clean.

This is similar to what I was thinking but more along the lines that this is a "failed" timeline and the tornado is the end result of all failed timelines. The only "correct" or proper timeline is not saving Chloe back in the bathroom. I still stand by that.

anilEhilated posted:

What I want to know is how the dead whales fit in. The two moons could just be a sign of timeline divergence happening. But really I'm probably just overthinking symbols.

I'm not sure what they mean other than "the world is ending and everything is whack." I...admittedly completely overlooked all of those to get to the theory I have and can't honestly explain them beyond random poo poo happening to just emphasis it's the end of the world. If they do mean something, it'll be a stretch at best to connect them to anything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gantolandon posted:

She most probably didn't ignore the vision, but assumed that stopping Jefferson is going to also prevent tornado from happening.

Yeah that's what I've always figured. Though, as the plot is now furiously pointing out, I thought that was a pretty big leap to make.

Like, maybe Max got her powers so she could warn the town about the tornadopocalypse and Chloe isn't relevant to that at all?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

anilEhilated posted:

Masses of dead whales and dead birds are signs of the end times. That's how I would view events if masses of dead whales appeared on the coast along with tons of dead birds and a random total eclipse. I think that's the direction the game has pointing us at is the literal end of the world is coming soon. Dead whales are symbolic of blight and death.

One thing this thread hasn't covered is what each of us would do with the kind of powers Max has.

Myself? I'd use it to get as much money out of Vegas as possible. After I have 10 million or more time for bigger fish: The stock market. My plan would be to make myself the world's first trillionaire. I would use the money toI to build a viable moon base, I want a mars base and colonization. Also a space elevator, the fact that building one is so impossible unsafe and ridiculous means a trillion dollars must be used to build it. Which is why a teenager like Max was chosen as the protagonist of the story and not a random goon. :smith:

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 7, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I would use Max's power to just suddenly appear in public places. Like, Game 7 of the World Series just as the pitcher is about to go into his windup I just sort of wander into the shot behind him in a bathrobe drinking a beer then disappear again. The media would freak out about it but then I might wait 6 months before doing the exact same thing during a presidential debate or something. That's pretty much it.

Bleary eyed scruffy guy haunts the planet.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 7, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Or like, the FBI.

God, what if Agent York was snooping around Arcadia Bay?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

God, what if Agent York was snooping around Arcadia Bay?

MJ... in the coffee. Never fails, Zack.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi good morning! We're nearing the end and I can't stand waiting til monday so :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Not even the apparent wrath of an angry god is going to stop us now.:siren:

The song that plays in the car is Mudflow - The Sense of Me [lyrics]

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Max has some impressive ventriloquism skills when talking to Warren. I ran into that myself when I played.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

An E6 tornado would be the most powerful and destructive tornado in human history. The Enhanced Fujita Scale only goes up to an E5, which is capable leveling reinforced structures and twisting skyscrapers beyond recognition.

It's also meteorologically impossible, so I guess we have time to thank for that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh...Max? Maybe you should tell her about the impending tornado? Max?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Aw, Pompidou. :3:

I really like the ruined Arcadia Bay section, I love a good apocalyptic setpiece. A pity you chose not to dunk on Warren for the last time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Considering the cars on top of buildings, it seems pretty easy to walk around the street there.

I guess there was another, smaller tornado that left just before Max arrived.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

What is the drawing in the smashed up white pickup truck at 7:35 in the video?

Also ominous that the diner's sign just says W DIE now :tinfoil:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You let the thread down by not dunking Warren one last time :colbert:

In my playthrough I only had the leave / hug choice :smug:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

was it bad that the only thing I could think about in the talk with warren was how stupid his shirt was

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

What is the drawing in the smashed up white pickup truck at 7:35 in the video?

Most of the items you can examine in this scene that I skipped are reminders of all the people in the town who are injured or dying as a result of the storm.

edit: jesus christ I just realized it's a drawing of a blue butterfly

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I think the game should have an "awkward handshake" option for Warren there.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Surprise Pizza posted:

Agreed, it's fun to dunk on Warren

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

paragon1 posted:

Uh...Max? Maybe you should tell her about the impending tornado? Max?

Yeah, and, uh, perhaps while we're at it, maybe tell people about the perfectly functional bomb shelter that David is in right now and is large enough to accomodate all the people we've met, and more besides? Really? No one's gonna talk about that... why now?

Oh yes. I remember.

Both the moment with Pompidou and Nathan's last phonecall were well-done moments, though, and I don't think I could have told Frank about the overdose part myself; it's just too much. Also, as good and fitting as all the music has been, the destruction around us has put this in my head, all of a sudden (and to my partial shame).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Surprise Pizza posted:

"Lean in for a kiss, decide for a hug instead, stop halfway to form a handshake and, just before your hands touch, shrug your shoulders and leave."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 8, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's not often that a time traveler just gets to stop someone and explain what's going down to someone who believes them, it's nice to see.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
That section bugged me so much. You go around helping all these people, but why? Getting to the photo should make this so it never happens and even if it does happen you can change things the second time around. Max is heading there specifically to change things and time is of the essence, why put in the helping section?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not often that a time traveler just gets to stop someone and explain what's going down to someone who believes them, it's nice to see.

Chloe has been down with Max's time travel powers from the word go, so it makes sense that she'd roll with it here. But it is nice to see that at no point has Chloe been "Yeah, nope."

Warren just rolling with it makes sense, when it happens, I think because of all the rest of the crazy bullshit that's been going on that week. "Mystery snow, mystery eclipse, tornado, whatever. Oh, Max can time travel, sure why not. Makes as much sense as anything else this week."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, and, uh, perhaps while we're at it, maybe tell people about the perfectly functional bomb shelter that David is in right now and is large enough to accomodate all the people we've met, and more besides? Really? No one's gonna talk about that... why now?

Oh yes. I remember.

Okay I can see how you might think this is a good idea, but it's both a crime scene and also a pretty goddamn traumatic place for several people to go back to.

And that's assuming the cops put a stop to Jefferson in time to put him in jail before the storm hits, he might still be there in custody!

Vexrm posted:

That section bugged me so much. You go around helping all these people, but why? Getting to the photo should make this so it never happens and even if it does happen you can change things the second time around. Max is heading there specifically to change things and time is of the essence, why put in the helping section?

I don't think she believes she's going to fix the tornado, her main concern is undoing Chloe's death. Even if she were, though... is Max really the type to leave people to die?

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 8, 2016

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Wow so the good ending was just to have them stop being lovely teens and tell an adult. Well done.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Max herself said she was loving up alternate realities. I think she's just trying to leave the best reality she can behind, before she jumps away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guys, that's not even close to the best Pompadou moment in this episode.

Just you all wait.

• Locked thread