Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you want hot takes and people "being polite", GBS is two clicks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Heres my hot take stop using the phrase hot take

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

Heres my hot take stop using the phrase hot take

Make me!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you want hot takes and people "being polite", GBS is two clicks away.

CineD is pretty well-established as the forum for hardcore badasses. As they say, "if you can't take the heat, get out of CineD because I'm going to murder your family for not liking Michael Bay"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

CineD is pretty well-established as the forum for hardcore badasses. As they say, "if you can't take the heat, get out of CineD because I'm going to murder your family for not liking Michael Bay"

I wish you were as interested in elaborating on your own opinion as you are about talking about how little you care.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I cant really its the internet.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I wish you were as interested in elaborating on your own opinion as you are about talking about how little you care.

Dude. I explained my opinion about the movie Under the Skin. I spent a whole page arguing about it. SMG was actually the only other person to eventually explain his opinion, most of the other responses I got were along the lines of
or

Well, this is certainly something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You reiterated your opinion rather than explaining it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

You reiterated your opinion rather than explaining it.

boom boom boom posted:

The rapist is a bad guy because he's a rapist. The alien is a bad guy because she's a serial killing alien monster that's killed untold people. If jeffrey Dahmer had made a solemn vow not to kill anymore dudes the day before he got arrested, I'm not gonna say ""oh, poor Jeffrey Dahmer, he'd just turned his life around and now it's ruined by the mean old cops :("

The monster alien dying is absolutely a good thing, giving that victory to a raper doesn't make the monster's death sad, it just makes the whole sequence gross.

your turn

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Leaving out the part where you equate a would-be rapist pouring gasoline on a woman and burning her to death because he was freaked out by how she looked without her clothes on to a cop taking down a bad guy, what do you think the second half of the film is about? Sympathy for the devil?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

vols bitch posted:

Posts like these are why no one posts in CD except movie spergs and snobs. You're called retarded if you don't absolutely love a movie filled with long ambient pauses of background shots instead of saying it was "okay I guess."

look at this idiot taking a movie at face value what a simpleton *puts more caviar on cracker*

At some point, long forgotten, you've decided that art belongs to the rich. But don’t be hypnotized, no; reincarnation doesn’t have to be. You can concentrate and you can - mental telepathy, yeah.

Right there, the fork in the road. I said 'go right,' Elizabeth said 'go left.' I went right, and then I understood what the situation was. I went over that one bridge.

And then, when I crossed that bridge, I found out that I was on the right side. And I said: 'Elizabeth, follow me,' because I’m going straight to the top. The stars, yeah, the stars. One shining star in the night, shining brighter than all the other ones.

And I’m talking light years away.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leaving out the part where you equate a would-be rapist pouring gasoline on a woman and burning her to death because he was freaked out by how she looked without her clothes on to a cop taking down a bad guy, what do you think the second half of the film is about? Sympathy for the devil?

Her trying to be human and failing because she's a space monster. It establishes that no matter what, she's still a space monster

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

Her trying to be human and failing because she's a space monster. It establishes that no matter what, she's still a space monster

And that's your takeaway? She can't be human because she isn't human? Were you confused why those scenes were in the movie?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
you just got mad at me for not explaining my opinion about Under the Skin. what's your opinion on Under the Skin?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

To go back to the Animal Farm comparison, do you think that book is about pigs? Because it's not about pigs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

you just got mad at me for not explaining my opinion about Under the Skin. what's your opinion on Under the Skin?

It's not a gotcha. Is that what you actually took from the movie, or were you simply confused why you were being shown that she doesn't have human physiology?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

It's not a gotcha. Is that what you actually took from the movie, or were you simply confused why you were being shown that she doesn't have human physiology?

I already explained why those scenes were in the movie, you condescending rear end. To establish that she is not and never can be human.

I've explained my Under the Skin opinion multiple times now. If it's as completely and self evidently wrong as you think it is, loving set me straight. Bathe me in the light of you inaguably correct opinion, shut me up forever.

Or just keep your own opinion to yourself so nobody can question or criticize it, and eventually I'll get tired of saying the same thing over and over again and leave, and you'll get to count that as a win for yourself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Opinion on what's literally presented on screen or opinion on what your cognizant brain took as the meaning from what was presented on screen? Because those are two different things.

Following your logic is like trying to follow someone who can't picture God as anything other than a ten foot man with a beard, or a person whose ideal version of America is only their tunneled white-sheltered view. Movies can be so much more than wikipedia lists of continuity and what you see is what you get, purposefully dumbing down the scope of your thinking just to win an internet argument is pretty loving narcissistic.

E: can she not be both alien and human? Can God be both a ten foot man in one brain and a metaphysical manifestation of love and connection between humanity in another?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 8, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

I already explained why those scenes were in the movie, you condescending rear end. To establish that she is not and never can be human.

I'm just trying to have you help me understand. Why? What's the thrust of a movie about not being and never being able to be human? I don't think it's a very convincing read, especially given your conclusion is "thank god that rapist put an end to the horrible monster".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

The problem with Prometheus is that Ridley Scott cut down the movie so it can make more money. Which is fine, but it ruined some good character stuff. Like how Milburn IS a touchy weird dude who looooves animals and loves to touch aliens. It was set up earlier in a deleted scene. And then when he does it later, it's perfectly in line with his character.

I like the movie and all, but it's a bit iffy. But ultimately, I appreciate it for being something new for the series, and not a boring rehash.

The story is a mess and characters that don't even make sense.

Every scientist rejects god but don't like robots because they don't have souls? What crap is that that's completely backwards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is reading the material the only way of expressing yourself here?

Maybe the film failed to connect with Boom Boom Boom in any way? Flew in one ear, out the other. It happens. Who cares. Alien owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe the film failed to connect with Boom Boom Boom in any way? Flew in one ear, out the other. It happens.

It does. However, I'm curious how someone could arrive at that conclusion other than "who cares".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don't see this conversation ending in a satisfying way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Why is reading the material the only way of expressing yourself here?

Maybe the film failed to connect with Boom Boom Boom in any way? Flew in one ear, out the other. It happens. Who cares. Alien owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsstzfp6nyo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, I think every argument should boil down to "But Alien owns."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I'm just trying to have you help me understand. Why? What's the thrust of a movie about not being and never being able to be human? I don't think it's a very convincing read, especially given your conclusion is "thank god that rapist put an end to the horrible monster".

boom boom boom posted:

I've explained my Under the Skin opinion multiple times now. If it's as completely and self evidently wrong as you think it is, loving set me straight. Bathe me in the light of you inaguably correct opinion, shut me up forever.

Or just keep your own opinion to yourself so nobody can question or criticize it, and eventually I'll get tired of saying the same thing over and over again and leave, and you'll get to count that as a win for yourself.

So you're going with the second option.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I fully admit I was very intrigued by the interpretation of a rapist setting his victim on fire as a good thing, otherwise, I wouldn't be so probing about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One day I'll give Under The Skin another shot. I just found it lackluster.

Mostly because that one scene was so crazy and I was at the edge of my seat, and the scenes after just never really followed through with spooky alien body horror stuff. At least in a literal way. I didn't really find it as gripping. But that is all on me. And hey, maybe next time I see it, it might click.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I fully admit I was very intrigued by the interpretation of a rapist setting his victim on fire as a good thing, otherwise, I wouldn't be so probing about it.

dude, that was my criticism of the movie, that they had a rapist uncover the monster via rape attempt and then kill it. hosed up movie.

Did you ever see Under the Skin?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This thread is getting me to watch Under the Skin so I can tell who to call a retard in this discussion, and Alien owns.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Are we seriously upset that SMG is obtuse now?

That's like being upset at the Alien for being a rape monster.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Prometheus is the second-best Alien movie

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

dude, that was my criticism of the movie, that they had a rapist uncover the monster via rape attempt and then kill it. hosed up movie.

Did you ever see Under the Skin?

It seems that you're basing this interpretation solely on the idea that the X character looks weird, so she's therefore bad and 'you shall not suffer a witch to live'.

Of course the X character doesn't really do anything at the end of the film, and is 'only' monstrous in the sense of the Latin monstrare: "to show."

What you are tentatively celebrating as as an act of purification is actually the unwarranted termination of the X character right at the point that she was coming into her own, and expressing her true self - without the patriarchal influence that forced her to drive a van and look like Scarjo.

Consider the 'deacon' creature at the end of Prometheus.

Holloway: You don't breathe, remember? So why wear a suit?
David: I was designed like this because you are more comfortable interacting with your own kind. If I didn't wear a suit, it would defeat the purpose.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

The story is a mess and characters that don't even make sense.

Every scientist rejects god but don't like robots because they don't have souls? What crap is that that's completely backwards.

Soulless is an adjective used to describe things lacking humanity or human qualities.

Watched Under the Skin, the strongest rape monster is patriarchy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

what are you talking about? She tries to eat human food and can't, she tries to have human sex and can't, then her human skin is literally ripped off and "under the skin" she's literally a alien monster. The movie is very, very clear about this. She's a alien monster.

What LtKen was talking about with this movie only working on people capable of empathy is this. None of this makes her non-human. There are men and women who cannot have sex, cannot ingest food, etc. There are people who are "monsters", in fact, she meets one with beautiful hands. What would happen if that thing reproduced?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

One day I'll give Under The Skin another shot. I just found it lackluster.

Mostly because that one scene was so crazy and I was at the edge of my seat, and the scenes after just never really followed through with spooky alien body horror stuff. At least in a literal way. I didn't really find it as gripping. But that is all on me. And hey, maybe next time I see it, it might click.
I'm surprised to hear that it lost you *after* that scene. To me, the back half of the movie is easily the most accessible, watchable portion. And I'd argue the end is still body horror, although I suppose that's only if you empathize with the alien.

I just couldn't handle the repeated hunting scenes. On paper, a woman we know to be a predator making idle chit chat with her unsuspecting victims should be tense, but something about the unscripted dialogue makes those scenes just seem... uncomfortable, rather than threatening.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It didn't help that I often found the accents nigh incomprehensible. I eventually resorted to turning on subtitles so I could be sure I wasn't missing anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slugworth posted:

I'm surprised to hear that it lost you *after* that scene. To me, the back half of the movie is easily the most accessible, watchable portion. And I'd argue the end is still body horror, although I suppose that's only if you empathize with the alien.

I just couldn't handle the repeated hunting scenes. On paper, a woman we know to be a predator making idle chit chat with her unsuspecting victims should be tense, but something about the unscripted dialogue makes those scenes just seem... uncomfortable, rather than threatening.

This is where things will get muddy because I can only remember my feelings rather than what happened, but I really dig weird alien poo poo. I actually genuinely loved Area 51, the Oren Peli joint. I love the mystery of the unknown. The strange and weird. It grabs me. And I felt like the film was building and building, and that moment was just peak brilliance to me. It was weird, beautiful, haunting, and really unnerving. What is this Alien doing? What is it going to do next? And then it became, or it evolved into a story about being human.

Which is probably fine. I was just bummed because that Alien plot was neat. I felt the same way with Species too. I was drawn in by this whole thing, and then the movie just turns into stupid(er) schlock. It lost that eeriness it had in the beginning.

But that's why I'd like to give it another go one day. One of those "Wasn't what I expected or wanted".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I actually genuinely loved Area 51, the Oren Peli joint.
If I'm a big sucker for found footage movies, even ones that got less than stellar reviews (Apollo 18, Chernobyl Diaries, even The Pyramid had a few neat moments), should I give Area 51 a shot? Is it available for streaming anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What LtKen was talking about with this movie only working on people capable of empathy is this. None of this makes her non-human.

Going further, though: X emerges at the end of the film as terrifying, inhuman, and 'beyond empathy' in exactly the same sense as both The Man Of Steel and the aliens of District 9.

That's to say that X is terrifying not because of any specific danger, but merely because she is the answer to "are we alone in the universe?" - and the answer is intolerable.

Prometheus is again extremely relevant here, for obvious reasons, as we have the same point that the search for god will inevitably reveal only more humanity. And then, this relates to one of the only 'expanded universe' (or fanfiction?) concepts I've ever liked: the idea that the 'Arcturians' mentioned in Aliens are effectively identical to the creatures in D9. Canonically, insectile drones preyed upon by rapacious humans - "it doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!"