Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Zephyrine posted:

Internal security, under lid by security staff. No problem.

The problem then comes when you leave and they take all that information and make it public to use it against you.

It wasn't 'made public to use it against you' but then lots of other people have already pointed out how you're being dumb over the blacklist and how it works, despite that being the only way any functioning blacklist could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zephyrine posted:

Shooting in game is of course not even close to this.

The only reason you are concerned about GSF still knowing who your alts are, after you told them who your alts were, is because it means they can be shot in game now that you've joined GSF's in game enemies.

Your objection to this makes no goddamned sense.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

It's like the level GSF can't help but play this game on.

If it was a game of monopoly. I would probably have to take a picture of the board before going to the bathroom. To make sure the pieces were still where I left them.

No it would be the equivalent of GSF making a deal with another player to buy up property so you can't create a monopoly on a colour.
In other words, part of the game rules.

It's a really big stretch to complain that GSF are using game mechanics as intended against you, and that this is somehow "bad", just because you don't like it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The monopoly example is fun though, because it's an example of a game where people get really mad when you simply use the rules of the game to your advantage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zephyrine posted:

The problem then comes when you leave and they take all that information and make it public to use it against you.

What information of yours was made public? Other than character names you willingly entered into the corp security system?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Angelique we're actually dispatching a crack team of Russians to cut the power to your house as I write this

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I feel like it's 2008 again with all this whining about APIs, christ.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

It's like the level GSF can't help but play this game on.

If it was a game of monopoly. I would probably have to take a picture of the board before going to the bathroom. To make sure the pieces were still where I left them.

You have a fragile mind. You are the enemy. You told leadership who your alts are.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

LemonDrizzle posted:

If it bothers you that much, why not just sell the flagged jf/cyno alts and buy clean ones?

This makes the most sense if it's really that big of a deal. Characters are pretty much fungible since brain goo was introduced and for a JF alt you'll always get 80% of the SP back. Call the rest you have to make up the cost of doing business, the cost of bitching so much about your former alliance in the very forum they originate from, or a combination or both as it suits you to get over this and just move on. Zeph is it your job now to just bash goons every chance you get? I don't understand all of this because I always thought you were a nice person and chill, but yet here you are. It's like listening to my ex-wife talk about me. We got divorced and suddenly she's running around telling all of my friends that I did :911:

Sure I did it, but that doesn't mean she has to go run and tell everyone that I did. Some things are best left unsaid, and every individual and group has its secrets or moments that maybe weren't their finest hour. I'm so bored of people leaving and then running their mouths about how horrible it was for so long. If it was horrible for a long time, why did you stay for so long? Why bother getting LAWN and FCON evacuated -- or did you do that to build up your own space heroine narrative? That's fine too, but you can't have it both ways. You're coming in here acting like a battered spouse and I just don't understand why. Yes, you had some folks that didn't like you and some of them are posting in this thread. By and large though you were extremely highly regarded and well liked. Why you would piss up a reputation of general integrity in order to prattle on about how persecuted you were/are makes no sense at all.

I may have had disagreements with vyst but I will say at least he peaced out without making fallout. I think endie handled it the right way as well frankly. Others have been a real disappointment. I have more respect for someone who pulls a big ticket awox than I do for those engaging in all this kiss-and-tell nonsense on both here and reddit. If you're not going to do a good awox, then just quietly leave. I know that when I interview someone for a position in the real world and they start railing in on their former employer that is an automatic no from me when it's decision time on the candidate.

P.S. If you fine folks have been enjoying my attempt at goodposting in this thread, you can show your appreciation by sending kilgarth some ISK. :sidvicious:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Reverand maynard posted:

You have a fragile mind. You are the enemy. You told leadership who your alts are.

I mean- if her end goal is still the same, applying to a PL Corp requires you to publicly post all your alts (along with their eve-board/zkill pages) anyway.

Really don't know why this is such a huge deal.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Lol requires you to post all alts? What you pinky swear all your accounts are listed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

frankly if zeph didn't whine about the blacklist every three pages i doubt anyone would ever have thought to look there for a list of her characters

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Monopoly is a bad analogy, this is like a poker game where someone shows all their cards and is then like "GUYS GUYS GUYS I know you saw all of my cards but I'm going to start betting against you and you need to pinky promise to bet like you don't know what I have, that would be doxxing" :psyduck:

To my knowledge, you could have kept these characters on non-alliance accounts (no chars in GSF, no API); the API is something you do voluntarily on a neutral hauler for safety from Miniluv. Why you think nobody else in the game tries to identify/track their enemies' neutral alts is baffling. That's as "legitimate" as metagaming gets, it's not like these are totally independent characters where you're roleplaying someone totally unrelated to your main.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Morris posted:

Why you think nobody else in the game tries to identify/track their enemies' neutral alts is baffling.

The recent contact changes were a total nerf to this sadly, but it was also a nerf to "so and so just logged their super pilots on" which is nice. Fair trade I suppose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xolve posted:

I mean- if her end goal is still the same, applying to a PL Corp requires you to publicly post all your alts (along with their eve-board/zkill pages) anyway.

Really don't know why this is such a huge deal.

What if someones uses time limited APIs, would that lead to some trouble down the road when all the posted APIs with their alts just turn off? Or is it a case of one-time-only showing your alts and nobody cares of what happens a year later?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Libluini posted:

What if someones uses time limited APIs, would that lead to some trouble down the road when all the posted APIs with their alts just turn off? Or is it a case of one-time-only showing your alts and nobody cares of what happens a year later?

basically no organization lets you use a limited-time API, as they rely on being able to verify your poo poo as long as you're part of the org

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Libluini posted:

You can cancel an api as soon as you leave, but every corp that checks them will remember what the alt names were.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know who her alts are. I have no access to that info. So it's hardly public.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Despera posted:

Lol requires you to post all alts? What you pinky swear all your accounts are listed?

Most groups use a Full API to try to make hidden accounts obvious. GSFs API requirements are actually really light. Even most highsec corps need a Full API.

CainFortea posted:

I don't know who her alts are. I have no access to that info. So it's hardly public.
Ironically, because she made such a stink about it, I've seen people with access paste them around.

Guess she meta-gamed herself there.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
bro im going to meta game you

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Zephyrine posted:

Listen. I liked you. I think you did a lot for GSF, but at the same time you made money off of it. It's not like you're some total saint.

You chose to leave. Fine. You felt there was shady poo poo. Fine.

But you made a spectacle of the whole thing, and immediately moved to shipping for the people living in and invading the space Imperium used to hold.

You turned your logistics alts and freighter jumping into a STRATEGIC ASSET for the Imperiums enemies.

What did you possibly think would happen? And now you keep whining about it. If you'd peaced out quietly and prepped an isntant message to people who were asking about you, nobody would've cared, but you turned yourself into a propaganda and strategic enemy.

You've been a part of GSF for how long and you don't know that part of this whole game is narrative and propaganda driven? Of course people will dredge up bad things to say about you and disseminate your alts to miniluv.

Frankly, grow up. If you don't like it, go play hello kitty online. Thats a game for babies.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Foehammer007 posted:

dont doxx my freighter alts pls

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

pseudanonymous posted:

Listen. I liked you. I think you did a lot for GSF, but at the same time you made money off of it. It's not like you're some total saint.

You chose to leave. Fine. You felt there was shady poo poo. Fine.

But you made a spectacle of the whole thing, and immediately moved to shipping for the people living in and invading the space Imperium used to hold.

You turned your logistics alts and freighter jumping into a STRATEGIC ASSET for the Imperiums enemies.

What did you possibly think would happen? And now you keep whining about it. If you'd peaced out quietly and prepped an isntant message to people who were asking about you, nobody would've cared, but you turned yourself into a propaganda and strategic enemy.

You've been a part of GSF for how long and you don't know that part of this whole game is narrative and propaganda driven? Of course people will dredge up bad things to say about you and disseminate your alts to miniluv.

Frankly, grow up. If you don't like it, go play hello kitty online. Thats a game for babies.

Yes this. I am sort of a neutral bystander because I dont know zeph and dont give a gently caress about him.

When he left I felt sympathy for him and I thought he was leaving in a classy way, even if he tried to grab his 5 minutes of fame.

Then this whole API thing happend. Jfc. It is just embarasing. First of all, I hardly think it was public. Second, you made a choice a while back to have your alts safe from miniluv by submiting all the info to the alliance. Then you threw a temper tantrum and went to the enemy, without remembering that the people you asked for protection first are now your number one enemy.

How is that possible? Doxxing is gross, but this has nothing to do with it. I really hope miniluv gets you a few times. In this lovely thread you stand out, congrats.

See what you made me do?! I posted. Mad.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
RVCMF misses you, VG. I've been answering questions in the corp/public channel while you're gone but things have slowed down a lot. Fortunately everyone in the backlog waiting to get into corp seems to be cool about it.

No problems to report, but it'll be nice when you're back. My other character joined Groon and I'm excited to heal some spaceships.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
okay zeph

are you girl or guy

im so sick of every other post changing your gender.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Glory of Arioch posted:

basically no organization lets you use a limited-time API, as they rely on being able to verify your poo poo as long as you're part of the org

evilweasel posted:

You can cancel an api as soon as you leave, but every corp that checks them will remember what the alt names were.

Thanks! It's always interesting to here how player organizations are handling this kind of stuff.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He's a she

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Foehammer007 posted:

okay zeph

are you girl or guy

I am from one of those filthy countries where we use 'he' if the gender is unknown.

#patriarchy

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Thatim posted:

I am from one of those filthy countries where we use 'he' if the gender is unknown.

#patriarchy

Lurkers usually read. Also if you don't know their gender 3rd person plural works fine.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

quote:

Zephyrine claims to be a porpoise.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Foehammer007 posted:

is that what we call it now

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thatim posted:

#patriarchy

gently caress the German language. That is all. God i hated learning it

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

vyst posted:

gently caress the German language. That is all. God i hated learning it

guten tag wie gehts es dir?

I think I spelled those right its only been seven years :downs:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Khablam posted:

is that what we call it now

we can call it whatever you want bb :heysexy:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
das/die/der/die/den/dem/des/whatever I am forgetting is just way too many articles, generally

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Foehammer007 posted:

okay zeph

are you girl or guy

The profile states gender is 'Porpoise'. :ms:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

evilweasel posted:

This. Worst case, someone sells characters (or hoovers out the SP with skill extractors and creates a new character) and you can't track them trivially anymore. One of the most frequent tasks of CD, ironically, is "one of our allies just bought this character on Char Bazaar and it's blacklisted, can you get the blacklist entry removed please."

Sometimes, it's handy too. I enjoy loading up the list of Narciss' characters every once in a while just to see who's getting corpthefted next.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You'll never guess who just lost a super

• Locked thread