Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I've been watching Squint's DeS LP while I work and it's striking how slow-paced the game is compared to DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You can totally beat Yhorm straight up with almost any decently long weapon with vertical attacks. When he does the two-handed slam you can hit his head for good damage and when you hit it enough he'll fall down and you can get a visceral on him.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Digirat posted:

Great video, wanted to try a sorcerer against better judgment but so many of the bosses seemed like they would be impossible without it, like champion gundam who seemed like a matter of "use fast melee or get hosed," so it's good to see you can win without it. Can't believe the ending of that sulyvahn fight with purple dickweed bodyblocking you twice. It worries me that you had 35 int by the third boss in the game though, I am just not good enough to sink every single level into two stats and ignore health.

Did you use magic against all the normal enemies too or did you switch to non-FP consuming things there? Seems like you would have to use almost entirely blue estus for that to be sustainable. Any tips on what items to go for? You were doing fuckin insane damage with soul spear.

The primary areas where you will find yourself wanting for magic are the first few: High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep. Road of Sacrifices is short, Crucifixion Woods has a bonfire right in the middle of it and you can leave, do a part (ex. crabs + Heysel), then return to refresh before you go to the next part.

Farron Keep you can ignore the enemies for the most part and just hop around with an unupgraded bandit knife, if you DO need to attack something the bandit knife is a pro choice because everything there will bleed out. The giant treegoats will die in 1-3 hits of great heavy soul arrow, i.e. typically before they can attack you.

The trick to early sorcerer is once you beat Vordt, skip through the Undead Settlement, then pick up your sorcery trainer and dusk crown and sage ring in Crucifixion Woods/Farron Keep. Those areas are also great places to gather titanite shards, which you may want because heretic's staff briefly outperforms sorcerer's staff at the +3 level (you will have to 2hand it though as the strength req is higher than what a sorcerer has by default). Skipping Undead Settlement does not break Siegward's quest so don't worry about fighting the fire demon first.

Once I hit the Catacombs it was quite easy to use magic all the time, but you are probably going to have half your estus in blue flasks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I liked DS 1 more than DS 2 but DS 2 at least had interesting locations. gently caress the swamps, gently caress cathedral of the deep (empty waste of a location), gently caress the Profaned Capital (another waste), gently caress Izilith 2.0 hey guys it's still boring the movie. Lothic is good, Undead settlement is good if a bit Bloodborne and Irithyll is amazing. If DS 1 is said to have a bad late game then DS 3 has a bad mid game. The Profaned Capital being the worst. What the gently caress happened there? They forgot to put anything interesting in.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It feels so miserable when you're getting clowned on by someone and you just can't land a hit no matter what they do, but you're constantly failing to dodge all of their stuff. And then they just mock you for being unable to do anything against them. :/

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I see the honoured tradition of the final boss being a wimpy gently caress has been thrown right out of the window. Dude hits like a loving freight train. Nice fight, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Vermain posted:

He's a straight up lovely boss who cannot be fought normally (unless you have the patience of a saint or a cheesy full Sorcery build). loving Old Iron King is a better fight than him, and I complained a lot about that fight back in the DS2 thread.

OK, magic cannot be both "bad" AND "cheesy". Because the latter implies it makes the game easy, while the former implies the opposite.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Gologle posted:

OK, magic cannot be both "bad" AND "cheesy". Because the latter implies it makes the game easy, while the former implies the opposite.

isn't that sorta the thing with sorcery this time? it's bad until you have very high int and then it turns around and become good-ish.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I liked DS 1 more than DS 2 but DS 2 at least had interesting locations. gently caress the swamps, gently caress cathedral of the deep (empty waste of a location), gently caress the Profaned Capital (another waste), gently caress Izilith 2.0 hey guys it's still boring the movie. Lothic is good, Undead settlement is good if a bit Bloodborne and Irithyll is amazing. If DS 1 is said to have a bad late game then DS 3 has a bad mid game. The Profaned Capital being the worst. What the gently caress happened there? They forgot to put anything interesting in.

I think they wasted the profaned capital's potential, it's the lordvessel's resting place from DS1 but seem to be squandered even by the series' ambiguous lore standards. Yhorm the giant is also the one thing that's related to DS2 but the giants and the throne of want are largely skimmed over. I agree that DS3 has a weak midgame.

I get that DS3 is a love letter to DS1 but a bit more relation to DS2 wouldn't have hurt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do viscerals work in this? i can get things to drop to their knees but i just use a charge attack since idk what else to do

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jose posted:

how do viscerals work in this? i can get things to drop to their knees but i just use a charge attack since idk what else to do

Run up close to them and press R1, it's basically just a riposte.

Gologle posted:

People who have never tried it in the parts of the series where it is really underpowered consistently call it cheesy because it doesn't look as cool to kill things by shooting them with magic as it does to hit them with your nippon steel, even though the mechanics and the balance now make playing a caster far harder than the One True Build that from software wants you to play.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBzBmC6Psk

Jose posted:

Note that not everything that can be staggered like that can be visceral'd. Most things can butt here are some exceptions like Dragonslayer Armour.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

Yhorms bad and I liked Bed of Chaos better. He is quite cool looking howveer and the lor eis good.

bed of chaos is the worst boss in any of the games.

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress cathedral of the deep (empty waste of a location),

O_O

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just random thought but it would be cool if once in a while PVP would do a weapon drop. Like, you'd get their weapon with all of it's current upgrades upon winning, but maybe just once out of every 20 kills or something. It would be a fun way to keep it interesting and try out new weapons.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The bosses have all been fun so far but the normal enemies in this game are a lot less so. Why do so many of them have an insta-kill attack? It's fine to put that on things like Mimics, where it's part of the challenge or the "hah SURPRISE!" , but giving an instakill to random goat monsters in the swamp or the crucifix guys in the woods just starts to feel cheap and not fun if you get hit. It makes fighting them at all a waste of time and a bad idea, which is a shame.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With the huge number of items and how far you have to go to get a lot of them, something like the chalice dungeons would have worked very well in this game. They really suffered from bloodborne's lack of unique loot and the ridiculous number of premade chalices you had to go through to get worthwhile loot, but in dark souls 3 there would be a ton of interesting things to find in them, and they could allow you to get going on certain builds much earlier in the game. Glyphs would also mitigate farming for gems and such (although there should already be a guaranteed way to get every item in the game and it is dumb as hell that there's still so many that rely on RNG).

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Few quick questions:
* If the host drops items can phantoms, even hostile phantoms, see and pick them up?

* Can two summoned red phantoms hit each other. Obviously purples can but can regular ones as well? I'm pretty sure I remember it happening during the fight club I ran last night but My memory's faulty.

* When a hostile phantom is killed do all phantoms present get souls as a reward, or only the host? Or, possibly, is it only the phantom that killed them?

* The wiki lists the invasion criteria but it's worded kind of strange. Says things like host -10 +40 for things like Aldrich faithful. Does that mean that covenant members will invade anyone up to 40 levels beneath them and 10 above, since they're not the host, or is the wiki calling them the host for no reason and so it's reversed? I'm wondering because the +-40 thing is a part of both Aldrich and Faron watchdogs, and wouldn't that mean those two covenants should be invading constantly since the requirements are loose.

Basically all of this is revolving around me trying to organize another fight club in the post-pontiff bonfire area. Since the last one left me with an insane amount of souls, and I didn't want to level past my current 150, I was hoping to spend it on upgrade materials and drop those as rewards for the winners.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think they wasted the profaned capital's potential, it's the lordvessel's resting place from DS1 but seem to be squandered even by the series' ambiguous lore standards.
:aaaaa: Goddammit I knew that opening area looked insanely familiar!

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 8, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm surprising myself by finding that I'm gradually actually enjoying using the Claymore for PvP, if it wasn't for the loving running attack being so short ranged and slow it would be even better but the speed, range and hyper armour on the 2hr2 is real. I feel like if I had really good positioning and timing then the counterhits on thrust attacks would be a huge bonus but I rarely manage to get them unfortunately (related: I am really missing DS2's counter system)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn. Pretty fun boss, I'd say. Only took me about 20-25 minutes to beat him. The area after him sucks, though.
Not in terms of design, but because of the PvP. 9/10 times I invaded people, only to wind up in "Super-serious, Honor duels only, no poo Dung Pile-flinging-allowed fight clubs."
What's a mound maker to do when PvP is ruled by that kind of joy-kill attitude? I was hoping it'd be a bit like Farron Keep, with Aldritch Faithful instead of Watchdogs, but it's almost exclusively populated by the "No items, fox only, final destination" types.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I ever noticed how damned impossible it is to backstab a heide knight before. It just doesn't recognize you're trying to even do it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

NESguerilla posted:

Just random thought but it would be cool if once in a while PVP would do a weapon drop. Like, you'd get their weapon with all of it's current upgrades upon winning, but maybe just once out of every 20 kills or something. It would be a fun way to keep it interesting and try out new weapons.
But what do you do with a bunch of Dark Swords and assorted Greataxes?

Blaziken386 posted:

Just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn. Pretty fun boss, I'd say. Only took me about 20-25 minutes to beat him. The area after him sucks, though.
Not in terms of design, but because of the PvP. 9/10 times I invaded people, only to wind up in "Super-serious, Honor duels only, no poo Dung Pile-flinging-allowed fight clubs."
What's a mound maker to do when PvP is ruled by that kind of joy-kill attitude? I was hoping it'd be a bit like Farron Keep, with Aldritch Faithful instead of Watchdogs, but it's almost exclusively populated by the "No items, fox only, final destination" types.
Just kill 'em, there are no rules!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Wait 'til NG+. The stakes are a lot lower after that because nobody's scrambling for souls or desperately trying to level up anymore, so most people are down for some screwing around.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mistaya posted:

The bosses have all been fun so far but the normal enemies in this game are a lot less so. Why do so many of them have an insta-kill attack? It's fine to put that on things like Mimics, where it's part of the challenge or the "hah SURPRISE!" , but giving an instakill to random goat monsters in the swamp or the crucifix guys in the woods just starts to feel cheap and not fun if you get hit. It makes fighting them at all a waste of time and a bad idea, which is a shame.

as much as i like the game this sort of thing is why its the worst souls game imo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Simply Simon posted:

Just kill 'em, there are no rules!
I would, but as soon as I break the "rules" of the fight club (read: fling poo at or just get too close to the participants of the duel), the host, the white phantoms, and the reds all simultaneously gang-bang me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

I would, but as soon as I break the "rules" of the fight club (read: fling poo at or just get too close to the participants of the duel), the host, the white phantoms, and the reds all simultaneously gang-bang me.
That sucks. I also kept invading the same arena poo poo earlier (in Farron though), and drat it, I just wanted to kill people for Vertebras! Ended up just going to a different area that is less PvP hotspot, and wouldn't you know it, now I could mercilessly backstab people again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jose posted:

as much as i like the game this sort of thing is why its the worst souls game imo

none of the things he mentioned have ever instakilled me and also loving lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mistaya posted:

put points in vigor, it's good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On my Scholar of the First Sin run I joined the Bellringers Covenant and went to walk the two floors from the guy who lets you in to the boss fight and got invaded (or called into a world) half a dozen times in 10 minutes :stare:

Which further reminded me another reason I don't enjoy PVP, my God the lag :cripes:

In the end my only victory was against a guy where I just start flailing about my sword every time I saw him vaguely move, even if he was half a floor away from me, because most of the time he was actually standing next to me about to swing his own sword and I just happened to get in first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaziken386 posted:

This is why fight clubs are the worst thing. The rules are always completely arbitrary on what items are cool to use, what aren't and since there's zero way to communicate, have fun just randomly getting wrecked.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Don't remind me that Bellbros worked absolutely flawlessly in DS2 and yet today I get three "failed to invade" messages in a row for Watchdogs and that's it. What happened?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
embers are there so you dont get one shot even if you have low vigor. maybe stop voluntarily engaging in the games manual difficult adjustment amd then complaining its too hard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Don't remind me that Bellbros worked absolutely flawlessly in DS2 and yet today I get three "failed to invade" messages in a row for Watchdogs and that's it. What happened?

they died before you could get there

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean that area does have Giant Crabs and enemies with tree spears that can shred your health instantly. :v:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, this is bullshit. I killed patches because I don't like being trapped in a tower, and I got tired of his bullshit. This means he does not have to gently caress me over in the Cathedral or gently caress over Siegward. As a result, I skip straight to finding him on Irithyll right? Okay, so I look up on how to free him after that, and he thanks me and all, and I'm all set to fight Yhorm so i can get his armor right?

loving wrong. I missed the step on recovering his armor and saving him in the cathedral, sssooo he never shows up in Yhorm. The gently caress is this man?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mistaya posted:

Huh? I'm pretty sure I've been hit by all of the attacks from both of those things and none of them are instant kills. The only attacks in the game I can think of that have killed me from full health are mimic bites, which I'd assume are survivable if you do some weird ultra-tank build. Also falling and curse, I guess. Put some points in vigor. Sticking with your starting vigor is like 70% of the challenge of an SL1 run.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 8, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, this is bullshit. I killed patches because I don't like being trapped in a tower, and I got tired of his bullshit. This means he does not have to gently caress me over in the Cathedral or gently caress over Siegward. As a result, I skip straight to finding him on Irithyll right? Okay, so I look up on how to free him after that, and he thanks me and all, and I'm all set to fight Yhorm so i can get his armor right?

loving wrong. I missed the step on recovering his armor and saving him in the cathedral, sssooo he never shows up in Yhorm. The gently caress is this man?

Quests break easily. Also did you kill a certain boss before fighting Yhorm?

Apparently beating Aldrich breaks the quest. I mean I had this happen to me as well.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Fargin Icehole posted:

if you care about npc quests then don't kill npcs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pretty much the only "gotcha!" attacks I've died to in this game have been random hyper armor attacks being pulled out of something's rear end without any indication of their hyper armor status and Dancer's grab attack, which puts Pursuer's blue sword hitbox to shame.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shindragon posted:

Quests break easily. Also did you kill a certain boss before fighting Yhorm?

Apparently beating Aldrich breaks the quest. I mean I had this happen to me as well.

Well, uhm, I actually killed Aldrich and then immediately after continued the questline in Irithyll dungeon. I figured in NG+ I'd get to most of the cinder bosses, and then murder them to the order I see fit.

Fawf posted:

if you care about npc quests then don't kill npcs

Okay, fine, but why not kill patches? He's a dick and Siegward carried on on the quest anyways, how was I supposed to know that was going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The crucifix dudes are very tough and fearsome looking, so you should be wary of them right away. Then when you actually fight them they're incredibly fast, strong, and aggressive so them having a strong grab attack isn't the worst. The grab also has a large wind up. The tree-wielding hollows are the actual "surprise! These dudes do a poo poo load of damage for how common they are!" gotcha.

The jumping goatmans are motherfuckers, though. They don't really look all that different from the other ghrus so you don't really have reason to be wary, and it feels, to me, slightly wrong that the most dangerous kind is the one without any weapons. The grab does a poo poo ton of damage for how fast it comes out, and the jumps... just... gently caress the jumps.