Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

MooCowlian posted:

:agreed:

I played this one first, but 3 does a whole lot of things I think are just wrong and 1 never quite caught me in the same way (maybe just because I'd already seen souls when I played 2).

I think it's probably just your taste rather than having played one game before the other or anything. I played all Souls games in the order they came out and to me they rank as follows right now. Not saying you are incorrect by any means, I can definitely see where you're coming from with preferring 2 over 1.
Here's how I personally rank the games: 3 > 1 > BB > DeS > 2

That said, 2 considerably improved on a lot of things DeS and DkS1 established. It's shortcomings make me rank it lowest regardless. Even though 2 ranks last I still think it's a very good game but definitely the weakest in the series for a variety of reasons. I could give these reasons but some of them may constitute spoilers and I also don't want to talk down on it unnecessarily. Souls fans do that enough as is already. I just want people to have fun with the video games they like and not tell them that no, they totally play the wrong game in the series because this one is objectively bad. Trust me, I'm from the internet, I know this.

E: Hey, I somewhat misread your post at first, but I'll leave mine here anyway because I don't know what to do with it now.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think the major distinction is that Dark Souls had a bunch of just silly, obscure mechanics and ways to screw you over (e.g. using the fire keeper soul, cursed status, abysswalking ring). You just have to play it with cliff notes by your side. Dark Souls 2 removed a lot of those. To people who came to Dark Souls first, Dark Souls 2 feels like it's missing the obscure mechanics which made the game even more "gently caress you" and more mysterious. To people who played Dark Souls 2 first, Dark Souls seems rougher and less polished.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mind you, from what I hear about 3 the obnoxious and nigh-indecipherable subquests are back in full force. But it adds to the general feeling of DS2 being mostly easy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the real madmen are the people who still put DeS on top

I just beat 3 last night and I have to really dig further in before I can put it somewhere but other than that it's 1>2>BB>DeS

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm in the opinion of 1 > SotFS > 3 > 2 > DeS nowadays.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Majula's theme is so relaxing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
its really bizarre, the games have excellent music and sound design but they rarely put any of it in

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
e: Sorry, I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 8, 2016

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
>Games >Let's Play >Spoiler free Dark Souls 2 reviews

This is gonna be after every update isn't it? :smith:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fabulousvillain posted:

>Games >Let's Play >Spoiler free Dark Souls 2 reviews

This is gonna be after every update isn't it? :smith:

Probably. I'm excited to see this playthrough though. Looking forward to a return of rapping solid snake.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It's likely, DS2 was a polarizing game in the community. To a baffling extreme for some people. Geop seems to be enjoying the game so far so it's probably best to not poo poo all over the game this early in. Hopefully everybody got it out of their system already, and Geop can be free to enjoy the game in peace and critique it later if he wants to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Souls fans have strong opinions both ways about DS2 so this kind of discussion is sadly inevitable in a DS2 LP thread.

We're also very defensive when people don't like whichever happens to be our favorite.

Whenever Geop plays Bloodborne I'll just be there gushing about how perfect it is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ugh why are people talking about Dark Souls 2 in a thread about Dark Souls 2?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh why are people talking about Dark Souls 2 in a thread about Dark Souls 2?

I do it because I'm bad at puns.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

There are cloth physics, I demand to know if there are sweet flappy capes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Souls fans have strong opinions both ways about DS2 so this kind of discussion is sadly inevitable in a DS2 LP thread.

We're also very defensive when people don't like whichever happens to be our favorite.

Whenever Geop plays Bloodborne I'll just be there gushing about how perfect it is.

You and me both, buddy. Bloodborne is by far the best souls game and it's not even close.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bloodborne is the worst souls game. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RBA Starblade posted:

It might be a bad Souls game, but it's certainly the best 'borne game :v:!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Suspicious Dish posted:

its really bizarre, the games have excellent music and sound design but they rarely put any of it in

They do, only it's just the sound design. Every place you visit has layers of ambiance, and the sound effects themselves are a good part of why things feel so solid and satisfying. The various monster noises are great as well.

The lack of music in most areas, saving them almost entirely for bosses, is a good design choice and a subtle but crucial contributor to what these games feel like to play.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The lack of music is part of what makes their sound design work though. They use sound to maximum effect in pretty much all of their games, including when to play music.

The devil is in the details and Sound Design is one of those devils that people underestimate when they make/review games.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RBA Starblade posted:

You motherfucker.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Actually I hope Geop does the DLC areas, because the first one is the reason I actually played the game to completion more than once. I looked forward to getting there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bloodborne is not worse than DeS but it's worse than DS1 and 2.

The build variety is so loving dire in BB it's ludicrous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised no one's giffed the ending yet.

People love to be continued memes of Dark Souls.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'll be tied up most of tomorrow so here ya go: Monday's update, a day early!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Much like Final Fantasy, every game in the Souls series is the worst in the series.

Except Bloodborne.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Edit: nevermind

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 9, 2016

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Scholar does not have the stupid durability bug, it's just that the broken straight sword isn't all that durable to begin with and requires a lot of hits to kill anything. The fewer swings you need to do the less durability you lose, which is presumably why some of the slowest and heaviest hitting weapons also have some of the lowest durability to even things out.

The stupid durability was taking at least double durability damage if you were playing at 60 FPS on PC, which was the case in OG DS2.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Harrow posted:

Much like Final Fantasy, every game in the Souls series is the worst in the series.

Except Bloodborne.

Just wait til we get a sequel.

Oh wait.

You get lucky this round.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Xerophyte posted:

The stupid durability was taking at least double durability damage if you were playing at 60 FPS on PC, which was the case in OG DS2.

You also took unreasonable amounts of durability damage for hitting corpses with your weapon, which only got worse at 60 FPS. I believe this was also fixed.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in forever nor did I play Scholar, but did they intentionally make all the weapon drops broken straight/thief swords for the first few minutes? Because that's a pretty funny move.

I don't remember being without a decent weapon for too long, but then again I haven't played in a long time.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Would it be OK to talk about NG+ changes in the areas you've been in?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it just me or is the walking/running animation in this game all floaty and stiff and weird?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Calaveron posted:

Is it just me or is the walking/running animation in this game all floaty and stiff and weird?

Considering this is a new engine and not using any of DS1, yeah you would be right. It does feel floaty but on the otherhand, it's much faster and the combat was improved.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Calaveron posted:

It's not just you, they're a bit off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You slide all over the place, I hate moving around in DS2. Even just running from one end of Things Betwixt to the other feels harrowing, like I'm going to hurl myself off the edge at any moment without really knowing why.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
On the other hand, I don't think this game has an armor that makes you sound like it's stuffed with potato chips.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Calaveron posted:

From Software kinda added a feeling of inertia that isn't present in either other Dark Souls – after playing DS3 for a while, I just started a new game of SotFS on PC and did a double-take as soon as I had control of my character.

For starters, unlike DS1 and DS3, you actually have full analog movement (rather than simply walking and running/sprinting). I do like that addition, for what it's worth, as it's easier to line up jumps or carefully fall off of ledges to platforms below you. The downside is that there's a huge deadzone for turning while moving straight forward; to start heading off to the left or right, you really need to push the stick towards 10- or 2-o'clock to get pointed in that direction (I actually had to boot up my 360 and vanilla DS2 to make sure I wasn't going crazy, or that Steam's in-home streaming wasn't loving something up).

There's also a delay in turning around because they decided to actually animate your character doing so, rather than quickly rotating the model in the direction you wish to move, like in DS1 and DS3. Again, it's something that simply takes getting used to when switching between games, and you can always roll in any direction pretty much immediately to cancel the animation. Also, if you jiggle the analog stick back and forth really quickly, your character does a really fast and blurry jig of sorts, which is great.

The commentary has already discussed some of the tweaks to rolling and jumping, but to add to the conversation, in DS2 the rolling animations seem to be a lot lower to the ground. It looks like... well, a roll. In the other games, you do more of a leap forward and tuck at the last minute. Just something I observed, and another change to the game that can seem odd coming from a playthrough of its prequel or sequel.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MiniFoo posted:

From Software kinda added a feeling of inertia that isn't present in either other Dark Souls – after playing DS3 for a while, I just started a new game of SotFS on PC and did a double-take as soon as I had control of my character.

For starters, unlike DS1 and DS3, you actually have full analog movement (rather than simply walking and running/sprinting). I do like that addition, for what it's worth, as it's easier to line up jumps or carefully fall off of ledges to platforms below you. The downside is that there's a huge deadzone for turning while moving straight forward; to start heading off to the left or right, you really need to push the stick towards 10- or 2-o'clock to get pointed in that direction (I actually had to boot up my 360 and vanilla DS2 to make sure I wasn't going crazy, or that Steam's in-home streaming wasn't loving something up).

There's also a delay in turning around because they decided to actually animate your character doing so, rather than quickly rotating the model in the direction you wish to move, like in DS1 and DS3. Again, it's something that simply takes getting used to when switching between games, and you can always roll in any direction pretty much immediately to cancel the animation. Also, if you jiggle the analog stick back and forth really quickly, your character does a really fast and blurry jig of sorts, which is great.

The commentary has already discussed some of the tweaks to rolling and jumping, but to add to the conversation, in DS2 the rolling animations seem to be a lot lower to the ground. It looks like... well, a roll. In the other games, you do more of a leap forward and tuck at the last minute. Just something I observed, and another change to the game that can seem odd coming from a playthrough of its prequel or sequel.

There definitely is that feeling of inertia, and that made it initially a little hard for me to avoid damage coming from DS1, which I didn't have going to DS3. I think that overall inertia is probably why the roll has less I-frames, at least with low adaptability. Your body is treated more like it has weight to it, so of course there'd be less frames where you don't take any damage at all. It's weird, when you think about it: Dark Souls is talked about a lot as giving weight to your character and actions, but the movements themselves in Dark Souls 1 were kind of videogamey. That's funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Geop encountered the greatest problem with dark souls 2: lack of ragdoll corpses.

• Locked thread