Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Murgos posted:

Lightning bolt? Avalanche? The sound Fatty Bolger makes when cannonballing into the Brandywine?

You fool, that's what got us into this mess in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Ynglaur posted:

Potatoes are implied in The Children of Húrin as well, though never named.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Tolkien's Middle-Earth Legendarium: Potatoes Implied

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
News read in Quenya: http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2410952

Curumo hosta túra úme telpeva Angoston; mo cene Endóre taura carastale har i osto. I carastier cé sauratuvar vilya.

Queni enétier lil cendaler i núle ”morne roquenion” Endoresse palan. Ingolmor sanar sa i cendaler er incar alasaile nar.

Nyatil nórello Periandion: Vilvo Lavingi, sinwa an utúries i lóce Ráhu, avánie ve rinca merendello nostareryava.

Lauce súlir caituvar ilya Endorenna. Lairina áre rahtuva Eppelo Lómíva tenna Ondóre. Ulyale úva Ondóreo rómenna, yasse mo cenuva loalúmen alasenya untúpie lumboiva ahosta.

Már' andúne, vinyar ata enwa.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Tolkien's Middle-Earth Legendarium: Potatoes Implied

Po

ta

toes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Two 'lost' JRR Tolkein poems found:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/16/unseen-jrr-tolkien-poems-found-in-school-magazine

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

A question about Thranduil came up during a family viewing of the Hobbit movies. As a youngster, is it known if he was he present in Doriath during the killing of Thingol and the schism with the dwarves over the Nauglamír? I can't remember and the wiki skips over a lot of his history. I thought it would be a good way to explain his animosity towards Thorin and company and why he didn't come to their aid when Smaug drove them from the mountain in the first place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Canemacar posted:

A question about Thranduil came up during a family viewing of the Hobbit movies. As a youngster, is it known if he was he present in Doriath during the killing of Thingol and the schism with the dwarves over the Nauglamír? I can't remember and the wiki skips over a lot of his history. I thought it would be a good way to explain his animosity towards Thorin and company and why he didn't come to their aid when Smaug drove them from the mountain in the first place.

The way the books were written the Hobbit basically is the thingol / nauglamir story recast. It had not been published yet. So Tolkien used a lot of elements from his unpublished works for the Hobbit which was written as a one off stand alone fantasy adventure. Later he connected everything .

So Mirkwood is Doriath in a strong sense.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

The way the books were written the Hobbit basically is the thingol / nauglamir story recast. It had not been published yet. So Tolkien used a lot of elements from his unpublished works for the Hobbit which was written as a one off stand alone fantasy adventure. Later he connected everything .

So Mirkwood is Doriath in a strong sense.

Never thought about it in that way, but yeah that makes sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Humble Bundle has the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, and a couple other Tolkien related things up for sale, $15 for the lot.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For those wondering, these are the American radio dramas from 1979, and not the later BBC versions.

It's also pretty crummy to put Return of the King as the $15 perk when the rest of the trilogy sits at the "beat the average" level.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Those of you yearning for rumbling rolling syllables of grandeur uttered by McKellen can listen to him read a new translation of the Aeneid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b073r20q/episodes/guide

You can listen only for the next week before they go offline.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Cast it back into the fiery chasm whence it came.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
If I ate that my stomach would become a fiery chasm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my dad posted:

Cast it back into the fiery chasm whence it came.

Only then will its power over you cease.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you eat it, does it make you invisible?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

If you eat it, does it make you invisible?

Mortals lack sufficient will to control its power, so the opposite happens.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Would happily cut someone's hand off for this

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wait, wasn't the writing on the inside of the Ring? This picture may be tricksy...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Wait, wasn't the writing on the inside of the Ring? This picture may be tricksy...

Sauron couldn't show it off it it was on the inside!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

It glowed so much you could see it from the outside!!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

webmeister posted:

Would happily cut someone's hand off for this

I dunno about a whole hand. Maybe a finger or two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That lettering barely makes it to "gimbatul" at best

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bit off the beaten path, but I found a comic for this thread!

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 6, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

haha

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ah yes one of my favorite graphic novels " Rord of the Lings".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Drug or Elf

i got a pitiful 27/30

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same. loving Imin

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

26/30

:sad:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
25, not bad for a relative Tolkien nub

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
A lot of them I straight recognized like finarfin, celeborn, etc. but yeah fuckin Imin that one got me.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

28/30, Imin hosed me up too, that bastard.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

gently caress Imin. 29/30, with a few lucky guesses.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

25/30. I missed one because I tried to answer before the page finished loading and an ad banner shifted the buttons down. The other four were flat fuckups on my part,

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

25 of 30. I need to re-read Unfinished Tales.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

For someone who really liked the Silmarillion (and has read LOTR and The Hobbit), what else would it make sense to read in the same setting? Just Unfinished Tales? I thought about The History of Middle Earth, but it seemed like that might be (serious) overkill.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I liked that and the Books of Lost Tales (there are two). But even with those you're getting a lot into some earlier/alternate/extended versions of some of the Silmarillion stories.

That said, the standalone Children of Húrin is fantastic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I.... got them all right and even knew who most of them were...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Shibawanko posted:

I.... got them all right and even knew who most of them were...

Good job, Rollo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Annual Prophet posted:

For someone who really liked the Silmarillion (and has read LOTR and The Hobbit), what else would it make sense to read in the same setting? Just Unfinished Tales? I thought about The History of Middle Earth, but it seemed like that might be (serious) overkill.

The History of Middle Earth, at least the Lord of the Rings parts, is a pretty good read overall. I really like the oddball ideas Tolkien started out with.