Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Onari is probably one of the best side characters in Kamen rider it was great seeing him act like an actual monk to javel also his idea of a rebelious youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Elfgames posted:

Onari is probably one of the best side characters in Kamen rider it was great seeing him act like an actual monk to javel also his idea of a rebelious youth.

It's even more apparent and wonderful considering he seemed all set to be Shunpei Mk.II when the show started.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shaezerus posted:

It's even more apparent and wonderful considering he seemed all set to be Shunpei Mk.II when the show started.

Did Wizard have any redeeming qualities?

I guess there was Beast.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are actually a fair number of scenes where the staff presents what the show might look like if they gave a gently caress; stuff like Haruto being cocky/sassy, Rinko doing a thing in Phoenix's arc, Koyomi going out that one time.

The fights are also consistently p good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Beast, the special effects, and the toys had some cool concepts. (Did you ever notice that he 'shakes hands' with the belt to use magic? And then the belt says 'the magic word'?)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The belt was kind of cool, sure.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wizard's suits are good, aside from the brightly colored Dragon capes that emphasize how shiny the material is.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It's so fun watching someone go through Double for the first time. Other than a few iffy things during the ending I'd say it's as close to a perfect Heisei series as there is.

Excluding Heaven's Tornado.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It's so fun watching someone go through Double for the first time. Other than a few iffy things during the ending I'd say it's as close to a perfect Heisei series as there is.

Drive has come pretty close to dethroning W for me, honestly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shinnosuke is a great Rider, but Shotaro and Philip are better. :colbert:

And Accel is better than Mach.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Drive's other Rider was Chaser. :colbert:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its weird hearing all this praise for Drive when the only thing I heard about it before entering this thread was "its not very good"

Edit: granted, he told me he was burned out on toku after reccing W, OOO, and Fourze, so that could've been a factor

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Other shows have individual strong things but what I think makes W work is that everything is competent and coherent.

A big thing for me in W that no other show has hit is that the powers *make sense.* He has a lot of forms but they're all based off a combination of two different powers, plus Fang which has a distinct use of its own (Philip can henshin instead of Shotaro.) And the show is smart about using those powers and so when the character swaps between abilities it makes sense.

Every show since has felt like they just tacked on power after power after power and rather than a sensible arsenal they just had a giant collection of poo poo and randomly used it whenever.

W has good villains, good heroes, a sensible and coherent plot, good use of its Rider gimmicks and powers, strong fights, mostly does a good job with CGI, has a secondary Rider who fits well in the show and is useful and well-implemented without being poo poo on and in general is just smart.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Its weird hearing all this praise for Drive when the only thing I heard about it before entering this thread was "its not very good"

Edit: granted, he told me he was burned out on toku after reccing W, OOO, and Fourze, so that could've been a factor

Drive is either the best or second best Rider of the last 7 series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

yeah that was me for the last year after keeping up with the airing shows from w to gaim plus a few older series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

W is good and every rider thing is improved by its (non-soulless background suit) presence

e: the meeting of the 'taros in megamax is the franchise's peak

e2: vvv well drat

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 8, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

W is good and every rider thing is improved by its (non-soulless background suit) presence

The scene with Shotaro meeting Gentaro in the movie is the best part of that entire thing despite being like a two minute part of the whole.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Likewise, Double's cameo in the OOO/Den-O crossover thing was the best 30 seconds of that movie.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

megamax was a pretty amazing piece of fanservice in general for my teenage self that had gotten into Rider by watching W then marathoning OOO to catch up with the broadcast, liked W-Fourze, and had also watched what had been translated of KR '71.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nerdman42 posted:

Drive kind of took awhile to get moving. I'd say its pacing was better than OOO's but not as good as W's or Ghost's. I think I'd honestly say the B-cast kept me in the show as much as the conflict between Drive and the Roidmudes. The last third of the show though is just fantastic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let's make this easier for everyone.

If the toku show is by Riku Sanjo, it is immediately great, and on the top five at the very least of its respective branch of toku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
W is the best of the Heisei era post Decade.

And most of it before Decade too. It's just a drat good series.

Kuuga I think is better, but it's also a huge matter of if you can get into Kuuga's very specific style. Kuuga was an examination of Kamen Rider as a whole, and the entire horrifying idea of "Escalation of Power" taken to its logical end point. Kuuga is not a very fun show, especially by the end, but it's not meant to be either. The fighting is very, very grounded and, for a lack of a better term, realistic, and the message is not a happy one.

W is the best fun Kamen Rider series, that also has some more somber moments to it. It's just that W is at its best when it IS fun and silly.

V3 is just the best Kamen Rider series around though for me personally. Absolutely perfect in execution, villains, heroes, and weird rear end disjointed dark 1970s bullshit. I've never seen a Rider series that has surpassed V3 on every level. Kuuga didn't have the fun factor and it followed its message to the point of hindering itself, Black has a better singular STORY, but is crippled by its filler and production problems, and W just never aims for the same highs.

Really curious to see where Amazons goes from here. It could easily be one of the best made Rider series ever.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I have to say, I'm really in love with how smart W is so far. All the plot points make sense so far. The characters are good and consistent,

I'm super in love with the premise of Yesterday Dopant too. I assumed it would be a Groundhog's Day loop, but she its so much coooler to make people repeat the day before. That's awesome and Yukie knows how to use it best.

I actually wasn't expecting Kirihiko's death to become come back into the plot, so that whole "sister on revenge" plot was incredible and nicely planned out. The amnesia thing was kiiind of a cop-out, but its makes sense with her powers so I'll forgive it.

Even if it was only a short arc, actions have consequences in this show. I love it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The next arc is has one of my favorite scenes from the whole show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think W is pretty good at balancing its episodic elements with gradually moving the plot along. Some of the shows to follow are more stop-and-go in that regard.

btw are you watching the movies? they're supplementary*, but all of W's stuff is good. you could've seen Begins Night by now (W section of Movie War 2010), and you can watch W Forever when they start advertising it in the OP.

*W's movies are canon, but it only amounts to a passing reference at the beginning of one episode and special forms appearing in future crossover films

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 8, 2016

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My internet's iffy and it usually doesn't stay consistent long enough for downloading the movies. I'll definitely try again soon once I'm back home (I basically just grabbed everything up to 44 for road tripping since internet is even more iffy on that front) and I'll also grab that Begins Night if I can.

It occurs to me I never watched any OOO movies either, but I could probably get on that later.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

OOO's stuff is mixed. Its portion of Movie War Core is outright bad, Wonderful is worth a watch but weaker than the W and Fourze movies, and its Megamax section is good since all of Megamax is.

e: Nobunaga's Desire (Core) is also a clusterfuck as far as continuity and character writing goes, which would normally be of little concern in Rider, but this was especially bizarre. poo poo like Eiji handing out money, GotouBirth before Date appeared in the show, TaJaDor long before the heroes got a full set, and the existence of a Purple Greed. You tend to see stuff like unfinalized SFX and affectations when Riders make cameos in summer movies, but this seemed like something written in its entirety before they'd pinned down plans for the show.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2016

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Motto posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think W is pretty good at balancing its episodic elements with gradually moving the plot along. Some of the shows to follow are more stop-and-go in that regard.

btw are you watching the movies? they're supplementary*, but all of W's stuff is good. you could've seen Begins Night by now (W section of Movie War 2010), and you can watch W Forever when they start advertising it in the OP.

*W's movies are canon, but it only amounts to a passing reference at the beginning of one episode and special forms appearing in future crossover films

Didn't they start advertising W Forever a few weeks before it released though? I can't recall since the BDs just use the regular intro the whole time. What I do know is it actually lines up with being watched between Episodes 44 and 45, since there is a scene at the end of 44 that ties into the movie, and 45 opens with the aftermath of the movie. It's one of the few Rider movies I can think of that has an exact spot in the show's order to watch it at.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

I actually think ghost is better than W at this, the only real weaknesses of ghost are takeru who is ok but not amazing and the poor use of powers, there's fifteen of the drat things why don't each of the three riders have five? also omega boost was unnecessary even if i do love it's call out.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Amazons is pretty much what you get if you wanted to do a showa era show in the neo-hesei period.

Meaning it is pretty god drat awesome, and I hope it stays good. This is a great time for Toku fans.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

nerdman42 posted:

Man, gently caress Shroud. She's like one of those moms who are all "no, you're not good enough for my son, he has to date the person I picked out for him". Except gayer, so I guess that's no so bad. If she's not even gonna explain what her deal is, Phillip shouldn't be listening to her so much.

Everyone throws Shotaro under the bus way too quick though. Like goddamn Phillip, he's supposes to be your boyfriend and you left him to walk in the rain all angsty like because he wasn't performing well. I get you might wanna be a Double team with someone as "cool" as Terui, but c'mon dude. This isn't an open relationship. But they had an Xtreme consummation, so whatever.

Though I loving love that Phillip sees Shhotaro and goes "oh poo poo that's his reckless face, he's gonna do something dumb". You gay nerds.

The best thing is Phillip is basically "Hey Terui, wanna be my new boyfriend?" and even tone-deaf Terui just says "Don't ask me such stupid questions."

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The best thing is Phillip is basically "Hey Terui, wanna be my new boyfriend?" and even tone-deaf Terui just says "Don't ask me such stupid questions."

YEAH like when even Terui is going "seriously dude?" you know you hosed up

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I'm like 8 episodes into Drive and it's... alright. It's got the same problem as Ghost where they're just dumping toys all over. He's gotten like 2 new toy cars every arc, and now Chase has 3 powerups, and here's a new form with its own set of cars, and so on.

It's not like I'm allergic to toys or I wouldn't be watching these shows, but it just feels so artificial that it really drags. W certainly had gadgets but the fundamental 6 halves introduced in the opening held constant throughout, he didn't pick up an extra dozen memories to arbitrarily choose from for every fight scene.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Drive has a weak start, but it gets much, much better.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Scratchman Apoo posted:

In what way is Heaven's Tornado not perfect?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FortMax posted:

In what way is Heaven's Tornado not perfect?

In every way possible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serious Frolicking posted:

Drive has a weak start, but it gets much, much better.

Seconding this. I watched 8 or so episodes, took a break...ended up binging 9-20 and staying current on the weekly after that. Drive takes some time to......get up to speed

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah once it gets into gear it's a fantastic show.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jivjov posted:

Seconding this. I watched 8 or so episodes, took a break...ended up binging 9-20 and staying current on the weekly after that. Drive takes some time to......get up to speed

I think that's around when Chase turns and you get introduced to 001. The story definitely accelerates after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seat belt pun

• Locked thread