Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The first patch I've been able to sit down and really deconstruct -- Autobahn Bass -- is already paying pedagogical dividends. It uses two sawtooth waves with a third sawtooth an octave above -- but one of the lower waves is inverted. This turns out to be equivalent to pulse-width modulation. Gordon Reid (pbuh) wrote about this technique in Synth Secrets, but it never really dawned on me how neat this trick is. So after getting the original patch close enough for my liking, I'm now experimenting with modulating the balance between the two waves in my Eurorack, which gives kindof a sawtooth-->PWM-->sawtooth crossfade. drat this is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Saw and inverted saw is on the Mini but not on the Voyager. It is also used in softsynths as a completely legit way (i.e. not a shortcut hack) to make PWM sounds possible - all you have to add is a clipper so that the rising edge is turned into a square wave. Also, it's how you can achieve PWM on Sylenth.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Got my VCA4p in the mail, it's extremely useful already. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!
I spent a few hours today at my workshop putting together an At-At-At. My drill is in a box with some other useful hardware at an art gallery right now, and I wanted to see if I could build a panel with supplies on hand. I ended up attacking a perfboard with a dremel and a an exacto knife. I figure if my measurements were off or this didn't work, then I'll circle back and build a better panel. Otherwise, if it happens to fit in my rack, then I'll stick with this style for now.

I also recorded something today. Didn't end up using the modular in it. It's not yet at the point that I end up using the modular. I figure even if I don't use it, I'm learning so much about how synthesizers actually work that I'm still coming out ahead, and it's really fun to play with. This track was Bass Station 2, Microkorg, Mother-32, Volca Sample, and a tiny bit of FB-01.
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/mod112

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys, I'm sorry I haven't been posting much in this thread as of late, but I've been having too much fun with my Odyssey. It's the bees knees. You understand.

Sincere thanks to the other synthgoons in the thread (sliderule, et al.) that posted Odyssey trip reports and feedback. Super happy with this purchase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Has anyone done a big comparison of the Odyssey vs the Minilogue's paraphonic mode?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I messed around with an OB-6 in Guitar Center and it was so easy to use. Almost makes me forgive DSI for the Mopho experience.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Ordered mine two months ago, still waiting for DSI to send some stock to the EU :geno:

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I've acquired the Moog Model 15 iOS app. If you have a 64-bit iOS 9.3 chunk of shiny, it is very, very good sounding and has numerous nice extra touches.

Said touches include a tutorial system anyone can create with and share, audio rate modulation, Force Touch sends aftertouch, MIDI Learn, Audiobridge and Audiobus, Pencil support, and having the good taste to be 4 voice polyphonic.

It's $30. There's IAP, but they are just patch banks, 30 clams gets you the whole instrument. A Suzanne Ciani bank is free with a facebook thingy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_-Kt4jfFs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Do you have a link to said Facebook thingy?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You get to it from within the app. Basically an email list, tho I haven't gotten anything yet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rightyo, thanks!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up a TC Gravy for cheap, and goddamn, does it blow the chorus algos on the Lexicon MPX 500 out of the water.

I had been making performances on the SQ-80 with identical detuned patches panned hard left and right to get spaciousness, but it pales in comparison to what a good chorus does. Does great poo poo for the Odyssey, too.

Also, the Gravy (Corona) allows full control of all parameters via software, including up to 3 parameters per knob with independent programmable curves to 3 knobs. The audio is super clean, too. Very low noise floor.

How I went so long without a nice chorus is beyond me. A++

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
AHNE synth meet at berklee is this weekend for you northeast goons. I'll have some eurorack and oto boxes.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Startyde posted:

AHNE synth meet at berklee is this weekend for you northeast goons. I'll have some eurorack and oto boxes.

I think I remember seeing some Chicago goons in this thread - the Hideout Synth Meet is this Saturday.

Say hi, I'll be the overweight, bearded white dude.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Startyde posted:

gently caress, I have to work all afternoon on Sunday. And I skipped last year's too. :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress, I have to work all afternoon on Sunday. And I skipped last year's too. :(

Pff work gently caress that :retrogames:
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO SAWTOOTHS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Startyde posted:

Pff work gently caress that :retrogames:
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO SAWTOOTHS

Can't. It's a fledgling tutoring business and my client pool is still small enough that I wouldn't be able to quickly make up the lost income elsewhere if I decided to cancel on my Sunday afternoon client.

You're basically asking me to set my Minilogue money on fire.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I made something today! https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/cool-grey-cat

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

I liked it. As you say, not very deep but pretty fun.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Made this one a couple months ago:

https://songadayforamonth.com/#/song/-K90Hy0ay0RaM1i_w3bK

e- these too:

https://songadayforamonth.com/#/song/-K8SE74DwO7N7kXDofrF
https://songadayforamonth.com/#/song/-K82WRVHF0zDkZ8VEg5-

Actually here are all my tunes from January:

https://songadayforamonth.com/#/songwriter/573d4853347

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 11, 2016

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

"it's come to this" is really sweet. :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

For those of you who don't follow the "Post and Comment on Sketches" thread, I recorded a couple more 100% modular jams. These ones don't even have effects in Ableton, only dynamics and EQ.

novae
constellation

I feel like I'm starting to get to know some of my modules, but holy crap there's so much more to know. Especially with the digital modules (Disting, Clouds).

Eurorack may be the devil, but I sure do love playing with it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The vocals are loving awesome on this, is that an original part?

I would dial the piano back. And the tremolo mix on it

Compression is okay overall but I would smooth the piano out a little as well. There's a velocity spike or two that could be low hanging fruit for production value points

The drum parts feel kind of pointless here. The percussion effects from the sequencer help a lot

I think revisiting this would be cool if you're willing to put into the effort into a backing track it could be really really good :-)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

The vocals are loving awesome on this

Yeah seriously

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Looks like a fun site, I'll sign up and inflict awful music in July.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

A MIRACLE posted:

The vocals are loving awesome on this, is that an original part?

I would dial the piano back. And the tremolo mix on it

Compression is okay overall but I would smooth the piano out a little as well. There's a velocity spike or two that could be low hanging fruit for production value points

The drum parts feel kind of pointless here. The percussion effects from the sequencer help a lot

I think revisiting this would be cool if you're willing to put into the effort into a backing track it could be really really good :-)

Yea it's all original. Songadayforamonth is self explanatory I hope so things don't necessarily get incredibly polished, but thank you for this and if I do re-visit the song to do it properly I'll come back to this post!

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah seriously

Thanks!

ewe2 posted:

Looks like a fun site, I'll sign up and inflict awful music in July.

Please do! It's a great community of musicians. I look forward to every January/July and making some sweet sounds and being inspired by everyone else's work.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I should do one of those one of these days, just to knock myself out of my "take eight years to finish writing a song" perfectionism that never actually results in perfection.

Traveling in July though, so not this time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I should do one of those one of these days, just to knock myself out of my "take eight years to finish writing a song" perfectionism that never actually results in perfection.

Traveling in July though, so not this time.

I've heard that it helps if you can schedule a block of "studio time" by yourself or with friends/bandmates. Now, this doesn't mean actual studio time (although if you want that and can afford it, knock yourself out and make something awesome!), but the idea is to give yourself an uninterrupted block of a day or a weekend- or even a week or two- and only work with what you can make during that time.

That way, even if you don't release any of it you've still made something concrete that you can date, benchmark, and build on in the future instead of just endlessly iterating on an idea for years and years.

Imagine that it's the '80s and you're a struggling musician who's saved up enough cash to book a few hours or days of studio time. You've got to take your ideas and half-finished sketches and turn them into tracks before you run out of time. If you have collaborators, you have to all get on the same page quickly. It's how the vast majority of artists have had to work before the advent of DAWs and ubiquitous home studios.

A lot of the best albums and tracks ever recorded have been a product of their constraints- either time, money, gear, or all three.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no joke. I seriously think one of my biggest problems is that I own a decent studio setup, software to do basically anything, and a ridiculous number of instruments. So it's never a question of "I need to sit down and do this now", because there are no limitations. I need to start collaborating with other local people who have massive schedule limitations just to make myself focus.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Or maybe do what Daft Punk did, and impose strict limitations on what you can use in a song and what you can do with the result. Limitations aren't just limited to time!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

"take eight years to finish writing a song" perfectionism

Better to write 10 songs of which 90% is crap than to write 1 song that's 90% crap :shobon:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hell, better to write 10 songs of which 100% is crap than to suck the life out a fun hobby by agonizing over infinite options and being too afraid to fail.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Hell, better to write 10 songs of which 100% is crap than to suck the life out a fun hobby by agonizing over infinite options and being too afraid to fail.

But I'm not doing either of those things. I enjoy it or I wouldn't do it at all, and I do put out albums and do sell a reasonable number of them. I just get super picky about lyrics, mainly, and it can take a long time before I'm satisfied with them. I still keep a reasonable output, though, just by having a lot of projects in process at any given time.

Also I just don't mind the idea of long projects. Right now I'm working on the followup to Son of Strelka, among other things. SoS took me four years to make. It took me three years to find the right source material for the next thing, and I'm expecting that actually putting it together will probably take several years as well.

I think mainly what I need is just to play with a band again, one where I'm not doing all the writing. It's been a while. I do miss the spontaneity of that, and the increased possibility for surprising things to happen.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 13, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah, no joke. I seriously think one of my biggest problems is that I own a decent studio setup, software to do basically anything, and a ridiculous number of instruments. So it's never a question of "I need to sit down and do this now", because there are no limitations. I need to start collaborating with other local people who have massive schedule limitations just to make myself focus.

How does the joke go? If you want to be a successful recording artist never, ever try to succeed or be comfortable at your day job.

The other one I've heard is lucrative day jobs turn artistic careers into artistic hobbies.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just wait until I get tenure, I'm going to crank out an album a week.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trig Discipline posted:

But I'm not doing either of those things.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you were. Or that you should, for that matter :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I find having a gig scheduled motivates me to daydream until the afternoon of the event.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just said goodbye to my Virus TI2. :( It was a bittersweet farewell but I'm confident she's going to a good home. Realistically I wasn't playing all 61 keys, I have an UltraNova and Ableton Push to handle my noodling and I could use the desk space to actually use those two things. I'm going to look around and see if I can't find a TI2 Desktop on the cheap, because while I didn't really play much, I fell in love with the Virus sound and interface. But who knows, a trip to Long & McQuade or Moog tomorrow could result in some other bleep-bloop purchase(s)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Speaking on creation, the podcasts at http://songexploder.net/ can be kinda illuminating - cornering an artist and asking them the process for a track. I went in ready to hear about the process and gear and it's stuff like MGMT saying "we did Time To Pretend all in Reason with slightly tweaked presets because we were broke college students" and the guy from The Postal Service saying he pretty much used the only synth/sampler he owned to do the entire thing.

I'm trying to ignore the nagging feeling that the people with only a few bits of gear sell records, and the ones with a lot sell synths to people like us.

Mister Speaker posted:

Just said goodbye to my Virus TI2. :( It was a bittersweet farewell but I'm confident she's going to a good home. Realistically I wasn't playing all 61 keys, I have an UltraNova and Ableton Push to handle my noodling and I could use the desk space to actually use those two things. I'm going to look around and see if I can't find a TI2 Desktop on the cheap, because while I didn't really play much, I fell in love with the Virus sound and interface. But who knows, a trip to Long & McQuade or Moog tomorrow could result in some other bleep-bloop purchase(s)...

Moog Audio is such a dangerous place. I have a gift certificate from boxing day waiting to be used and I know as soon as I pull it out I'm gonna be in the hole a few hundred bucks.