Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

My last year.txt

Not that it's a TON better now, but honestly I just started writing poo poo down. If I want to do it, or need to do it, I wrote it down. Somehow it makes me feel more guilty if I don't. Then once I finally do it, or start it, everything feels right and normal and good.

Its funny you say this as that was an idea that came to mind a few minutes ago. I don't know. I know I'm in a bit of a rut or funk or whatever and there's really no reason to be. Life is, ostensibly, great. So I don't know.

Middle age crisis after turning 43?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I guess you better get a boat then

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

http://www.lebanonford.com/forms/727hp-mustang

Dealership selling 727HP Mustangs for $40k.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

I work in, on, and around boats. Last thing I want to do when I get off work is get on a boat.

Wowzer. That's actually pretty loving tempting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You could kill an entire car meet with that kind of HP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Needs more unterseeboot.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

This will never get old

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MustardFacial posted:

gently caress.

I just found out that glyphostate only kills blackberries when applied in the fall. That was a waste of an afternoon.

I should just get a goat. That killed all of the blackberries in our yard when I was a kid.

Garlon kills it all year round. And everything else around it too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Gasoline and a match works great too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

This will never get old

It's loving hilarious.

And also seriously tempting. If I bailed out of the MS6 and the Miata and cleaned out my savings I could cover about 40% of that cost.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

The loving deer doesn't need any insurance, he was a total. Took the full brunt of a ~5,000 pound truck full-on in the side. I didn't see it after impact, but it didn't even take another step. It was running at the time and was thrown forward and into the ditch at the side of the road. It was a ~180lb buck and the impact sheared its rack right off. gently caress that deer.

My insurance will cover it, I don't know yet if deer strikes are considered chargeable collisions by my insurance company or not.

AWWWWW YISS... STR-esque megapost from meatpimp. :D

Congrats on your megapost! :v:

A deer strike will almost always be covered under comprehensive as long as you actually hit the deer. If you had swerved to avoid a deer and wound up hitting a tree instead, collision would be coming out to play (and causing a rate increase). tl;dr full ramming speed instead of swerving if you see deer

ilkhan posted:

Shouldn't it fall under collision, since he was moving?

No. Collision covers collisions with objects, such as a tree, a car, a pole, etc. Animal strikes are almost always covered by comprehensive as an "act of god".

Wish I'd known that when a deer took on my car several years ago. drat thing caved the fender in bad enough that I couldn't open the door... and I wasn't even moving, the drat thing ran into the side of my car. :fuckoff:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just gonna drop this in here (from the Craigslist thread) because this car is just down the street from me and I've been dying to ask if they'll sell it, turns out they are and I'm just losing my poo poo over here.

This seems like an exquisitely bad idea but I'm also kinda at half-mast over here already. It's not visible in the pictures but after 10 years in the sun, the rear view mirror plastic basically crumbled and is spread all over the floor. Luckily they had louvres on the back, a cover on the (already-cracked) dash, so only the front seats got turbo-hosed.

Update: the owner said I can have it for $500 if I want it. Have to see if my wife will approve... I also think I'd better check if the engine is seized before I hand over the $$$.

If the clutch pedal is all the way on the floor (because the clutch cylinder or something is hosed), does that mean the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Wondering if I might be able to just put it in 5th and try to roll it forward, see if the engine turns at all. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buy that car.

So earlier I came into the thread because yet another cheap Mazda6 has dropped into my lap. 2003, 160K, automatic, full records of oil changes, 2 year old tires. $1200. No visible rust issues. Offhand I do not know which engine it has but I think it might make a fantastic beater. Plus my winter wheels from the MS6 would bolt right up.

But then SCA posted about those S?C Mustangs and holy poo poo it's all I can think about right now.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Pham Nuwen posted:

U

If the clutch pedal is all the way on the floor (because the clutch cylinder or something is hosed), does that mean the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Wondering if I might be able to just put it in 5th and try to roll it forward, see if the engine turns at all. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.
Probably engaged

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

Its funny you say this as that was an idea that came to mind a few minutes ago. I don't know. I know I'm in a bit of a rut or funk or whatever and there's really no reason to be. Life is, ostensibly, great. So I don't know.

Middle age crisis after turning 43?

I've been in the same poo poo. And since I started doing that, and just TRYING to have a more positive outlook, trying to be the best I can put forward, and just trying to do what makes me happy...it has mostly gone away.

The brain is loving dumb.

Where is adibiatic when he's needed

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
So I posted in the Stupid Question thread, but I think this thought I have doesn't really fit the thread there...it might be too stupid. So I'm doing a carb conversion on once mechanically injected car, and I got to thinking. What if you were to find a car with a motor that was at some point in history carbureted but now runs on OBD II but you replaced the sensors with electronics that would give an ideal reading no matter what, then just swapped all the important bits to carbed stuff?

Yeah I know it's stupid and probably a huge waste of time and resources but it's something I think about doing just for the gently caress of it. I mean you'd get to keep the neato poo poo like wipers, turn signals, maybe even airbags(!!) but be running a purely mechanical motor setup. If you were to take a poverty spec mid 90s platform there wouldn't even be that many sensors to fake...

I don't know enough about OBD II, but I've got a decent background in low voltage DC stuff and electronics. Thoughts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Update: the owner said I can have it for $500 if I want it. Have to see if my wife will approve... I also think I'd better check if the engine is seized before I hand over the $$$.

If the engine is seized, it's doing you a favor and trying to make you do an engine swap. The only way I'd own another 280ZX would be if I was doing a full on engine swap, or at the very least trashing the K-Jet for either carbs or a Megasquirt. gently caress that K-Jet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tide posted:

I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

Buy a bicycle.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the engine is seized, it's doing you a favor and trying to make you do an engine swap. The only way I'd own another 280ZX would be if I was doing a full on engine swap, or at the very least trashing the K-Jet for either carbs or a Megasquirt. gently caress that K-Jet.

But the L28 looks really cool...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ahhhh I'm seriously looking at buying a v nice house from my brother in law's cousin and she told us she wanted $60,000 less than what I had guessed she would want for it

Only thing is it's slightly dated and it could use a new furnace and hot water heater, and I'll have to put about $2000 in fencing up so Rascal can roam his domain without escaping it.

But otherwise it's perfect, 3 bedroom 2.75 bath with a finished basement and a two car garage :circlefap:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MustardFacial posted:

gently caress.

I just found out that glyphostate only kills blackberries when applied in the fall. That was a waste of an afternoon.

I should just get a goat. That killed all of the blackberries in our yard when I was a kid.
Why do I feel dumb for thinking you should just eat them? That sounds like the best problem ever. Ask someone you work with if they want to come pick them all.

We have concord grapes growing in our backyard. Holy cow do those make good jelly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Except that car has L-Jet, which has a lot more in common with modern EFI than K-Jet. L-Jet was used in the Z cars from 82-89.

This is assuming the car is actually a 1982 model year anyway.

Nubile Hillock posted:

So I posted in the Stupid Question thread, but I think this thought I have doesn't really fit the thread there...it might be too stupid. So I'm doing a carb conversion on once mechanically injected car, and I got to thinking. What if you were to find a car with a motor that was at some point in history carbureted but now runs on OBD II but you replaced the sensors with electronics that would give an ideal reading no matter what, then just swapped all the important bits to carbed stuff?

Yeah I know it's stupid and probably a huge waste of time and resources but it's something I think about doing just for the gently caress of it. I mean you'd get to keep the neato poo poo like wipers, turn signals, maybe even airbags(!!) but be running a purely mechanical motor setup. If you were to take a poverty spec mid 90s platform there wouldn't even be that many sensors to fake...

I don't know enough about OBD II, but I've got a decent background in low voltage DC stuff and electronics. Thoughts?

This really depends on the car. But wipers and signals would be controlled by a BCM, assuming there is one (this depends how new you go). Airbags have their own module.

Using as an example, my 1999 Nissan Altima's ECU only controlled the engine (and cruise control IIRC), nothing else. There was no CANBUS, and the body control module wasn't tied to the ECU at all. The cluster was old school style and had individual wires going to it for everything (in two bigass plugs), instead of having the BCM or ECU control it. The only thing the ECU controlled on the cluster was the tach. The ECU did control the ac compressor, but as far as I could tell the only reason it even did that was so it could disengage the compressor at high RPMs.

That car would have been dead simple to convert to carb, the hardest part would have been converting the distributor to run it without the ECU.

There's been thousands (probably tens of thousands) of 4th gen F-Bodies (93-02 Camaro) converted to carb, while retaining everything else.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 9, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cage posted:

Why do I feel dumb for thinking you should just eat them? That sounds like the best problem ever. Ask someone you work with if they want to come pick them all.

We have concord grapes growing in our backyard. Holy cow do those make good jelly.

It's the bush I want dead. I could care less for the berries. Blackberry bushes are nasty, invasive fuckers that ruin every lawn, driveway, tree, fence that is in it's way. They are impossible to kill without very harsh chemicals.

Ferrimit, where do you get Garlon?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Except that car has L-Jet, which has a lot more in common with modern EFI than K-Jet. L-Jet was used in the Z cars from 82-89.

This is assuming the car is actually a 1982 model year anyway.

Well, the rat's nest looks very similar to the poo poo on the K-jet '79 we had, and it was an unending stream of fuel leaks and vacuum leaks with fuckall for diagnostics. L/LH-jet is something I hate only slightly less thanks to my Volvo 240 running so lean that it failed emissions, and being impossible to figure out why.

If you want to keep the L28, fine, just Megasquirt it or something. We're talking about a fuel injected car that still manages to be susceptible to vapor lock because of how lovely that fuel system is.

There's been thousands (probably tens of thousands) of 4th gen F-Bodies (93-02 Camaro) converted to carb, while retaining everything else.

I'd bet very few of those maintain any useful OBD2 functionality, though. The fourthgen, even the OBD2 LT1 ('96-'97) and LS1 ('98-'02) cars, still used discrete gauge signals. Predates any sort of CAN bus. It's not exactly hard to keep things functional in a fourthgen without computers actually working, especially since people running carbs on those cars are pretty much exclusively building drag-only racers where they don't give a gently caress about "working HVAC".

Also, unless class rules specifically prohibit fuel injection, carbing a LS1 is grade-A hillrod poo poo. You spend a huge chunk of change on a custom aftermarket intake manifold, another chunk of change on either an ignition-only computer or an aftermarket distributor, and all you've done is spend more to make the car demonstrably worse. The same money would buy an equally high-flowing intake and HPTuners licensing, plus probably some big injectors.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 9, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fully agreed, but the way his question was worded made it sound more like an academic question than anything. I was just using the 4th gen as an example of a car that a ton of people have tossed a carb at while keeping everything else working.

IMO, if it's new enough to be OBD2, it's new enough to have pretty good fuel injection and tunability (and if it doesn't, that's why there's 3rd party EFI). Even my crappy Saturn has some aftermarket support for ECU tuning (HPTuners won't touch the 04-06 L61 ECU for some reason, EFI Live will work fine with it).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tide posted:

I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

Build a plane.

But seriously,

nm posted:

Buy a bicycle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This weather here is insane! We've had 30mm of rain in the last 4hrs, recorded a 63kph wind gust in my back yard, Averaging 42kph and it just shredded my steel back fence. The cats are going bonkers and its generally shitfull and raining sideways outside.

WE ARENT MEANT TO GET CYCLONES IN ADELAIDE?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MustardFacial posted:

It's the bush I want dead. I could care less for the berries. Blackberry bushes are nasty, invasive fuckers that ruin every lawn, driveway, tree, fence that is in it's way. They are impossible to kill without very harsh chemicals.

Torch it and sew salt into the soil

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

:tipshat:

It'll be a while before I get bored of Mustang jokes/memes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I do some woodland management and blackberry/bramble isn't too hard to deal with once you know your enemy- buy, beg, borrow or steal a brush cutter with a nice blade, armour yourself up a bit and blitz the fucker up. Afterwards, rake up as much of the cut stuff as you can and burn or compost it, as it can and will regrow from cut sticks. Then you examine the ground, bramble grows out from a central plant and spreads out from there- the central part is the strongest but if any of the runners have rooted well they will regrow from there too, so they need to die. The guy who owns the land didn't want me using any kind of weedkiller so I would just mattock out the worst of the central root bit, then make sure I came back to it each week or so with the brushcutter- the side runners of the plant just don't have the energy stored to keep coming back after long, but the central part will, so dig it, burn it (carefully) or poison it at the right time.

I cleared a lot of bramble last year using that method and so far this year there are no signs of it returning to the cleared areas. Strongly recommend keeping a plant or two in check though, because blackberries make incredible jam/booze.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I get it from an agricultural supply store. Its active chemical is Triclopyr so if you look for something like that your onto a winner.

100% fool proof way to kill poo poo with it is mix it 40ml in 1000ml of diesel and apply it to cut stems, it will gently caress up trees if you do that!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Is there anything more frustrating that waiting for Amazon - who will only confirm that it is 'Arriving today' ?

Another courier company, that isn't run by a billion dollar tech company, is able to email me updates and google map locations of the delivery truck in real time and quote a delivery slot only 10mins in duration. Amazon can't even narrow it down to a 12 hour window.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You should be able to get the tracking number from the order status page. Copy and paste it, don't use Amazon's tracking link. The carrier's own tracking page may be able to narrow it down.

If it was stocked in a local warehouse, they could narrow it to a 4 hour window (likely 8-12 or 12-4), as they've started using independent contractors for local Prime deliveries, but those guys are picking up 50+ packages per route and Amazon has no idea what order they'll be delivered in. They have a suggested route, but the drivers aren't required to follow it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
That mustang meme is insanely dumb and you're pretty much a retard if you think its funny

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

corn in the fridge posted:

That mustang meme is insanely dumb and you're pretty much a retard if you think its funny

Mustang owner spotted.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Mustang owner spotted.

Corn is Luke Skywalker in your avatar after that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tide posted:

I loving bored.
I get in the same slump once and a while. Usually just have to force myself to start projects for a while until it becomes a habit again. Even if I dread starting I usually enjoy it once I'm started even if it's something as stupid as pressure wash the deck or fix the dryer :argh: Also lists as iwentdoodie mentioned, crossing poo poo off that list feels good.

Ferremit posted:

This weather here is insane! We've had 30mm of rain in the last 4hrs, recorded a 63kph wind gust in my back yard, Averaging 42kph and it just shredded my steel back fence. The cats are going bonkers and its generally shitfull and raining sideways outside.

WE ARENT MEANT TO GET CYCLONES IN ADELAIDE?
Please don't die, that looks like some nasty poo poo

Ferremit posted:

100% fool proof way to kill poo poo with it is mix it 40ml in 1000ml of diesel and apply it to cut stems, it will gently caress up trees if you do that!
All this blackberry talk minds me I have a bunch of thorny bramble poo poo at the base of my yard right by my neighbors fence I need to deal with this year. Was going to clear it out before it grew in this year but that didn't happen. I swear the mess went from just vines and sticks to thick fully grown in a weekend. Chemical warfare might be the right solution but I'd have to be careful, neighbor of course has massive rose bushes growing along the fence line.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

corn in the fridge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezFNU4qmAQ

Edit : Hooooly poo poo there are lot of these things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmZLPRivc4

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

You should be able to get the tracking number from the order status page. Copy and paste it, don't use Amazon's tracking link. The carrier's own tracking page may be able to narrow it down.

If it was stocked in a local warehouse, they could narrow it to a 4 hour window (likely 8-12 or 12-4), as they've started using independent contractors for local Prime deliveries, but those guys are picking up 50+ packages per route and Amazon has no idea what order they'll be delivered in. They have a suggested route, but the drivers aren't required to follow it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am in the UK, so I can't get more detail than that.

If they could at least give a 4 hour window, you could plan your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For fucks sake, been up 24 hours. Went to bed around 3am. Never got any sleep. gently caress insomnia.

Supposed to work 8 hours today... All behind the wheel. If I can't at least get 4-6 hours of sleep I'll give up the shift and let someone else have it, I have no business driving when I'm this exhausted.

spog posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am in the UK, so I can't get more detail than that.

:doh: Yeah the contractor bit I mentioned only applies in the US. I actually deliver for Amazon myself, but I only handle the same-day delivery.

• Locked thread