Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EightBit posted:

Anyone care to come up with some good red text for the new guy we share a thread with?

quote:

I'M A MENTALLY UNSTABLE GIT WHO LIKES RUNNING CYCLISTS OFF THE ROADS BECAUSE GRRR I HATE THE FEEL OF LYCRA AGAINST ME TINY BALLS

But I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license, so everything's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
"If you see me post, please direct me to stdh.txt"

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
You forgot about how proud I am of my actions.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
We don't need to use our cars as weapons here in the US because we all have guns.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dear waze users: please for the love of saint micromancer, stop reporting fog every half mile. IT IS loving RAINING ITS DICK OFF OVER 3/4 OF THIS STATE. All you are doing is pissing everyone off with incessant phone blathering of fog alerts.

Christ on a cracker

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After Google integrated the reports and slowdowns into Maps, I stopped using Waze.

I just need a quick "navigate from A to B" voice command for work (ambulance), without all of the social interaction. But having the crash reports and live rerouting integrated into maps is perfect.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/05/cops_text_it_ticket

So I guess this must be the reason why I've seen a bunch of cruisers in the past couple weeks parked in odd locations, not running radar, but instead just eyeballing me as I pass by. That's great although it really shouldn't be making the news. But if I drove by them while watching Netflix on my tablet while taking selfies instead I only would had to be worried about getting a $100 fine (without surchargable points affecting insurance) and that's had I not just been given a stern verbal warning about the apparent dangers of distracted driving and sent on my way.

Now if I had passed by going 75mph on a 55mph six-lane highway with my hands at 10 and 2 and the :cop: had finally had enough of squinting at every driver that goes by for the past hour I would have received at least a $200 citation for speeding (and of course much, much more than that if I was written up in a posted work zone, which also happens to be about 1/3 of all the roads in Massachusetts around this time of year) that would also have increased my yearly insurance premiums by about $300-500/yr. So altogether after the ticket and the effect of the points on my insurance over a couple years I'd be losing roughly 10x more money altogether in the end than I would have been fined had I been pulled over by a trooper in Massachusetts after being caught taking sexy pictures of myself driving and sharing them on instagram. :shepicide:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Awesome isn't it? On the plus side as long as you don't go faster than flow of traffic you really don't need to worry much about being pulled over in MA, and flow of traffic is usually 70 in a 55 and 80 in a 65. I always slow down for construction zones, but unless there's actually a cop there with his lights going I'm the only one who does.

It's ironic because if the cop has his lights going then he's acting as a warning beacon for active construction and is unlikely to chase you, though he might radio ahead to someone else. If the cop is sitting there with his lights off, that's when you have to worry.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 7, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:grin: "I did a thing!"

:argh: "It sounds like you tried to kill a dude"

:grin: "It's ok, I have a bit of paper from someone telling me otherwise"

:argh: "You're insane"

:grin: "It's ok, I have a bit of paper from someone telling me otherwise"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VdN5pMcfgI

I still can't figure out what this guy was trying to do. He can't be drunk cause he runs away and isn't stumbling or anything. It is really weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lime Tonics posted:

I still can't figure out what this guy was trying to do. He can't be drunk cause he runs away and isn't stumbling or anything. It is really weird.

Meth is a hell of a drug.
And/or stolen car.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Lime Tonics posted:

Steering is comprimised on the white truck during the accident, precluding the driver's attempted escape. Sometimes the steering responds, but the sole remaining front tire doesn't always respond. My guess is stolen/warrant/meth/Trump fan.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxo49yUBjA

Apparently three dudes chasing a BMW 3 series down a three lane highway on foot? I don't loving know.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Something about US 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg (NW of Phoenix) makes people completely unable to control the speed of their cars or something. Just got home from driving that road, and I was doing my best to just run on cruise control at 74, but the 'herd' was hearing none of that. There was a group of probably 12 cars that were just sort of clumped together and whenever the road was a divided highway, or a two-way with a dedicated passing lane, this clump of cars would run 80+, and zoom off into the distance, jockeying for position within the herd as they went (seriously, it looked like every one of them was doing their best to be the leader at all times when there were two lanes). Once the divided highway / passing lane section ended, and the road became a single lane in either direction, I would invariably catch up with the group about 4-5 miles later, since they were now going 60mph. Until the next passing lane/divided stretch, and then zoom... off they went. There wasn't a single car slowing down the entire group, since the group would change leaders constantly in every zoom-zoom section... It was weird, but 75 miles of that got pretty annoying.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Locator posted:

Something about US 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg (NW of Phoenix) makes people completely unable to control the speed of their cars or something. Just got home from driving that road, and I was doing my best to just run on cruise control at 74, but the 'herd' was hearing none of that. There was a group of probably 12 cars that were just sort of clumped together and whenever the road was a divided highway, or a two-way with a dedicated passing lane, this clump of cars would run 80+, and zoom off into the distance, jockeying for position within the herd as they went (seriously, it looked like every one of them was doing their best to be the leader at all times when there were two lanes). Once the divided highway / passing lane section ended, and the road became a single lane in either direction, I would invariably catch up with the group about 4-5 miles later, since they were now going 60mph. Until the next passing lane/divided stretch, and then zoom... off they went. There wasn't a single car slowing down the entire group, since the group would change leaders constantly in every zoom-zoom section... It was weird, but 75 miles of that got pretty annoying.

You're getting old. Go faster.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

You're getting old. Go faster.

Every time I do, I get a ticket. I don't like tickets. Besides, going faster with that pack would have just gotten me worse fuel economy since I kept catching them anyway.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

The Locator posted:

Mountains + automatic transmission. These people are the bane of my existence.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Vitamin J posted:

Mountains + automatic transmission. These people are the bane of my existence.

gently caress these people forever. Zero awareness. 55mph uphill and 90mph downhill all day every day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It doesn't need to be mountains -- it happens with any change in elevation, even a slight underpass! People are completely unaware of how the throttle affects the performance of their car, and apparently think the amount of gas they're giving is directly and constantly linked to their speed. So, so infuriating. You just passed me doing 20 over, and now I need to pass you because you're going 10 under? Get hosed!

In other news, today I saw a taxi back up halfway around a roundabout after missing their correct exit.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Is there some new roadway craze where you get points for passing people on the shoulder on the on-ramp and bullying your way in front of them?

Getting onto the highway this morning I'm in line in the left lane of a two lane on-ramp. There is nobody in the right lane. As the right lane is getting ready to end the woman behind me pulls to the right and starts passing me. She was on the shoulder before she was even halfway past me, finally gets most of the way past me and starts to come over.

Why? I mean I could understand if it were just the two of us and she whipped around me and took of at mach 5 never to be seen again. I could even understand if I was just coasting along while the cars in front of me got farther and farther away. I might still think it's a dick move but people have places to be and if you're going to hold things up you're going to get passed. All she was trying to do was gain one whole car length that wouldn't have gotten her anywhere any faster than if she'd just stayed in line.

Well gently caress that poo poo, I hate rewarding rear end in a top hat behavior by giving them what they want. I have control of the lane and she's on the shoulder. She realized I wasn't giving way very quickly and backed off, started to pull back behind me, then I guess noticed the car in front of me was signalling and moving onto the highway early by crossing the gore point, and moved back over and floored it to get in front of me.

But now she can't get onto the highway because she's next to the guy who had been in front of me and he's letting the everybody who'd been in front of him over. So I merge behind him, then merge into the left lane. She's still on the on-ramp, and as I'm passing her I look at her. I just have to see who this person is. She gives me some kind of gesture. Not a middle finger. I'm not really sure what it was. A half-assed shrug, like oops, that's embarrassing? A what the gently caress gesture, like I'm the bigger rear end in a top hat for not letting her pass me on the shoulder like everybody else she has done that to? Was she holding a phone and I just didn't notice it?

And as I continue on, she gets farther and farther back, still in the same line in the right lane, and taking the very next exit, which she would have gotten to in the very same amount of time had she just stayed in line to begin with.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm new to living near a city. HOV lane jumpers are a fascinating thing :allears:

Jumping from the HOV lane into the passing lane of local traffic and cutting someone off doing 15mph faster than you is definitely something that couldn't possibly have consequences.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The other day I used my horn for the first time this year. Left turner coming from opposite me just turned left in front of me without even looking. I was ready for it and braked to avoid it, so nothing happened, but since she wasn't looking I decided to honk anyway. She still didn't look.
I was at least hoping that she would see her mistake and not do it again, because the only reason nothing happened was because I was paying attention and was ready for it. Oh well.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I'm new to living near a city. HOV lane jumpers are a fascinating thing :allears:

Jumping from the HOV lane into the passing lane of local traffic and cutting someone off doing 15mph faster than you is definitely something that couldn't possibly have consequences.

People love doing this in Maryland. I was recently traveling in the left lane about two car lengths behind the car in front of me. A much slower driver merged into the gap between us forcing me to brake pretty hard to avoid rear ending him. What is the thinking there? He knows how fast the other car was going, he knew the gap was there and waited for it, so he presumably knew that the next car in line was going the same speed as the other car which was faster than he wanted to go. And it's not like there was anything in the right lane holding him up.

The guy behind me moves to the right and passes us, and now I know the dipshit's peripheral vision works because he notices the guy passing on the right and turns his head to watch him pass before they are fully even. So I go ahead and pass him on the right, too, and he doesn't even glance at me. Then a couple of other people also moved over to pass him.

Never sped up, never slowed down, didn't move back over, didn't acknowledge any other driver except the look at the first guy. Just wanted to get in the left lane and pulled into the first gap he got, no matter what. gently caress everybody else.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I just loooooove how when someone shits on about dem drat cyclists in this thread, they reveal themselves to be abhorrent peices of poo poo that need to lose their license and walk for the rest of their lives.

Thread continues to be a honeytrap of the highest order.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in grade school I was always told to cross the street with my bike by walking across the crosswalk next to it. I'm not sure where the transition from doing that and you're supposed to behave like an automobile occurs. Is that just a thing they teach kids so they're not getting hit by cars?

No skin off my back, though. I haven't ridden a bicycle on the street in ages. I know the objectively correct one isn't always the one that survives when its car vs bicycle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*catching up on the thread from 20+ pages back*

Deedle posted:

It's a good thing I see one on a weekly basis in that case. And before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license. My next evaluation is scheduled for 2018.

While it's not funny to call someone mental, if you have a psychologist and then you run a loving cyclist off the road whilst driving, I feel it's well warranted to call you out on being a danger to other humans and very possibly psychotic.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I love riding with a camera on my helmet now.

I caught a rare one: The double-handed phone-talker. I don't have good video of it, but about 4 carlengths ahead of me, before this stop, she almost merged into a motorcycle cop who for some reason let her go.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Bikes-as-cars is a terrible kludge that only exists because the U.S. has poo poo for bicycle infrastructure. Shoving a "vehicle" capable of cruising at 15 mph max onto a shoulderless 55 mph road sucks for everyone involved and just makes both groups hate each other, but plunking down a "share the road" sign and saying you Did Something is cheaper than widening the asphalt by six feet and actually making it usable for that purpose.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can only feel like adding the bike lane would lead to drivers passing on the right because this is that thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javid posted:

Bikes-as-cars is a terrible kludge that only exists because the U.S. has poo poo for bicycle infrastructure. Shoving a "vehicle" capable of cruising at 15 mph max onto a shoulderless 55 mph road sucks for everyone involved and just makes both groups hate each other, but plunking down a "share the road" sign and saying you Did Something is cheaper than widening the asphalt by six feet and actually making it usable for that purpose.

I was in Sedona recently, and they sort of tried to do this, but hosed it up in one important way: they installed roundabouts everywhere and as you approach the roundabout, the bike lane disappears, then reappears after the roundabout. So you still have cars and bikes dodging each other. :downs:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

Tsk, just widen the asphalt by six feet, it couldn't cost more than what, five bucks, and take an afternoon to do the whole country?

What's that you say? The roads we already have and our bridges are falling apart because we can barely keep up with the construction we have on our plates now and we barely have the budget for it as it is? Impossible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cities always have a road under construction somewhere. If they made it a policy to add bike lanes any time the work involves curbs or sidewalks, they could at least show progress on accommodating cyclists.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Cities always have a road under construction somewhere. If they made it a policy to add bike lanes any time the work involves curbs or sidewalks, they could at least show progress on accommodating cyclists.

And in cities where the buildings are basically four feet of sidewalk from the road?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I saw something about narrowing traffic lanes to accommodate bike lanes which would serve the added benefit of being able to passively enforce speed limits. The only real downside is the lack of accommodation for trucks and commercial transport. However in cities like NYC, driving anything much larger than a small box truck is already impractical.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Murphys Law posted:

People love doing this in Maryland. I was recently traveling in the left lane about two car lengths behind the car in front of me. A much slower driver merged into the gap between us forcing me to brake pretty hard to avoid rear ending him. What is the thinking there? He knows how fast the other car was going, he knew the gap was there and waited for it, so he presumably knew that the next car in line was going the same speed as the other car which was faster than he wanted to go. And it's not like there was anything in the right lane holding him up.

The guy behind me moves to the right and passes us, and now I know the dipshit's peripheral vision works because he notices the guy passing on the right and turns his head to watch him pass before they are fully even. So I go ahead and pass him on the right, too, and he doesn't even glance at me. Then a couple of other people also moved over to pass him.

Never sped up, never slowed down, didn't move back over, didn't acknowledge any other driver except the look at the first guy. Just wanted to get in the left lane and pulled into the first gap he got, no matter what. gently caress everybody else.

Hey, was just about to post a similar story. Yes, Marylanders do indeed love to do poo poo like this and much, much worse.

um excuse me posted:

I can only feel like adding the bike lane would lead to drivers passing on the right because this is that thread.

They do that here too, when the bike lane isn't full of parked cars anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

And in cities where the buildings are basically four feet of sidewalk from the road?

You're right, because an idea won't work on a relatively small percentage of roads, we should just forget the whole thing and never try to make the world better.

:jerkbag:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

You're right, because an idea won't work on a relatively small percentage of roads, we should just forget the whole thing and never try to make the world better.

:jerkbag:

Adding bike lanes doesn't make the world better. Not every change is good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah well you've got a well established history of voicing the worst opinions ever posted in this thread so pardon me for not taking anything you say as valid criticism.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I just loooooove how when someone shits on about dem drat cyclists in this thread, they reveal themselves to be abhorrent peices of poo poo that need to lose their license and walk for the rest of their lives.

Thread continues to be a honeytrap of the highest order.

The bad drivers are coming from *INSIDE THE THREAD* (pretty sure someone else made this joke)

um excuse me posted:

When I was in grade school I was always told to cross the street with my bike by walking across the crosswalk next to it. I'm not sure where the transition from doing that and you're supposed to behave like an automobile occurs. Is that just a thing they teach kids so they're not getting hit by cars?

No skin off my back, though. I haven't ridden a bicycle on the street in ages. I know the objectively correct one isn't always the one that survives when its car vs bicycle.

I think the rule of thumb is, "if you're going to use pedestrian rules, be a pedestrian. If you're going to use vehicle rules, be a vehicle."

If you're going to ride on the street, make turns like everyone else. Otherwise walk across the crosswalk. If you keep your actions inside the realm of what people expect, you'll be better off.

That's my big issue with cyclists; if they do weird things I don't expect, like running red lights/stop signs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

nitrogen posted:

The bad drivers are coming from *INSIDE THE THREAD* (pretty sure someone else made this joke)

n2 stating a universal constant

:science:

i like it.