Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I also hate how in movies/tv shows where they build up to some intense showdown between two really powerful things and they settle it with...a fist/knife fight, not even bothering to use the full extent of their powers we spent all movie/season hearing about. I'm looking at you, Supernatural.
Season 1 of Heroes was the loving worst for this. The entire season we see Peter Petrelli absorb everyone else's powers (in a harmless way) to become basically a literal God, and we also see Sylar murder his way through tons of powered people and steal their powers straight out of their brains.

Then, when they eventually meet up and have a fight, we don't get to see any of it (other than some flashes of light) because "our" camera is in another room and those two are behind a loving door.

Which, one of other characters - who at the time has no superpowers - manages to hold closed despite the presumably apocalyptic fight taking place on the other side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GazChap posted:

Season 1 of Heroes was the loving worst for this. The entire season we see Peter Petrelli absorb everyone else's powers (in a harmless way) to become basically a literal God, and we also see Sylar murder his way through tons of powered people and steal their powers straight out of their brains.

Then, when they eventually meet up and have a fight, we don't get to see any of it (other than some flashes of light) because "our" camera is in another room and those two are behind a loving door.

Which, one of other characters - who at the time has no superpowers - manages to hold closed despite the presumably apocalyptic fight taking place on the other side of it.
It being off-camera is a different kind of problem than being seen and being underwhelming, thought.

Really, I can understand and even appreciate, in a way, the former. You probably can't make something that matches up to what people are vaguely imagining, so just let the details remain unknown, and only show who comes out of it the victor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At that point, they were in the future and it was implied they were saving the real fight for the present, in the finale.

But it ended up being a boring fistfight.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah at the time the implication was that the real fight would be shown later (probably a bet to get more budget?)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Completely irrational: I think Jakku is a really loving stupid name for a planet. The same goes for Naboo. They both sound like ridiculous planets for babies, in addition to Jakku sounding vaguely filthy. Also, Snoke is a dumb name that makes me think of the Snorks.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Beachcomber posted:

Completely irrational: I think Jakku is a really loving stupid name for a planet. The same goes for Naboo. They both sound like ridiculous planets for babies, in addition to Jakku sounding vaguely filthy. Also, Snoke is a dumb name that makes me think of the Snorks.

Somehow I don't think you really get Star Wars.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Esroc posted:

Somehow I don't think you really get Star Wars.

I love Star Wars, I just really hate those names.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sheev Palpatine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tatooine is also ridiculous. Plus it's full of sand which is coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

Tatooine is also ridiculous.

Tunisia doesn't agree with you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last :colbert:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is a dude in Star Wars named Sleaze Baggano. I think Licas wanted one of the bad guys in KOTOR to be named Darth Villanous. Names aren't Star War's strong suit.

VVVV yeah that's it .

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 04:20 on May 9, 2016

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

quote:

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If George had wrote the sequels I'd fully expect one of the Sith to be called Darth Badguy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah but there's also Darth Andeddu. Guess what, he's a skeleton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a Jedi called Ima Gun Di. He dies.

Also they later smartly made Sleaze Baggano a nickname.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aphrodite posted:

There's a Jedi called Ima Gun Di. He dies.

lmao That's amazing.

Sinestro is probably the closest non-Star Wars example I can think of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The long biography might make it seem like he was around a while, but that's all just one episode.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

lmao That's amazing.

Sinestro is probably the closest non-Star Wars example I can think of.

Comic book names are awesome. My favorite is still Mr. Miracle, who is an escape artist. His real name is Scott Free. Roy G. Bivolo, The Rainbow Rider, is also a good one.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 06:04 on May 9, 2016

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Darth Insanius is legitimately a way better name than COUNT DOOKU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Darth Prettybadfellowtomeetinadarkalleyus

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One thing that bugged me in Captain America: Civil War. So in Ant-Man's film, they described the Pym Particle as changing the distance between atoms/molecules, which is why even when Ant-Man is the size of, well, an ant, he still has the power of a 200 pound man. In fact they hit home pretty throughly that his mass is constant regardless of his size, which means he has to be careful not to kill a man with a punch to such a concentrated area.

So when Ant-Man shows up and grows to four stories tall, wouldn't he still have the mass of a 200 pound man? A stiff breeze should knock him over at that point, he'd be like a giant balloon animal.

Also why the gently caress didn't he actually use the ants he trained so hard to control in his movie? That was like half of his gimmick. I'd think filling Iron Man and War Machines' armor full of bullet ants would take the fight out of them a lot faster than throwing a giant toy truck at them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Darth Insanius is legitimately a way better name than COUNT DOOKU

Wouldn't it be Darth Sanius, though, since the In is always silent?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

So when Ant-Man shows up and grows to four stories tall, wouldn't he still have the mass of a 200 pound man? A stiff breeze should knock him over at that point, he'd be like a giant balloon animal.

I took the whole "I did it in a lab, once" explanation to mean that Lang/Pym were working on a way to for Lang to become a giant four-story man without the downsides of being a giant four-story man you mentioned. I mean, poo poo: if you've realized that you can reverse the shrinking process and make yourself into a giant, you'd totally want to try and make it useful, right?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

MisterBibs posted:

I took the whole "I did it in a lab, once" explanation to mean that Lang/Pym were working on a way to for Lang to become a giant four-story man without the downsides of being a giant four-story man you mentioned. I mean, poo poo: if you've realized that you can reverse the shrinking process and make yourself into a giant, you'd totally want to try and make it useful, right?

Only if by useful you mean figure out how to make a condom out of Pym Particles, because heyyyyyy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wild T posted:

One thing that bugged me in Captain America: Civil War. So in Ant-Man's film, they described the Pym Particle as changing the distance between atoms/molecules, which is why even when Ant-Man is the size of, well, an ant, he still has the power of a 200 pound man. In fact they hit home pretty throughly that his mass is constant regardless of his size, which means he has to be careful not to kill a man with a punch to such a concentrated area.

Also why the gently caress didn't he actually use the ants he trained so hard to control in his movie? That was like half of his gimmick. I'd think filling Iron Man and War Machines' armor full of bullet ants would take the fight out of them a lot faster than throwing a giant toy truck at them.

The same reason they can shrink a car down to a few inches but still be light enough to carry - pym particles do whatever the plot requires.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the first movie an adult male was carried by an ant. Mass is obviously plot determined.

If they had just said he could change size and mass it would have been fine. Suit now has two buttons for each size transition.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the first movie an adult male was carried by an ant. Mass is obviously plot determined.

If they had just said he could change size and mass it would have been fine. Suit now has two buttons for each size transition.

Marvel and DC probably leave some ludicrous stuff in because (a) why not and (b) it gives nerdlingers poo poo to argue about for years afterwards, helping to keep the brand in people's minds. See also : Superman reversing time by orbiting the Earth

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Comic book names are awesome. My favorite is still Mr. Miracle, who is an escape artist. His real name is Scott Free. Roy G. Bivolo, The Rainbow Rider, is also a good one.

Since watching the Flash series I've started noticing that DC is way more on-the-nose about these sorts of things. Roy G. Bivolo bothers the poo poo out of me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I'm partial to Edward Nigma.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm partial to Edward Nigma.

Didn't they go back and change that one?

Fake Edit: Yeah, wiki says they revised it to Edward Nashton. gently caress knows why, dude wears a bright green suit covered in question marks, who cares that his real name is dumb?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They usually save that kind of thing for gadget or technology based characters though. So the logic is frequently that they chose that name on purpose. Like Rainbow Raider doesn't coincidentally have some kind of rainbow powers, he specifically builds a rainbow device because that's his name. Victor Fries decides to make himself Mr. Freeze because that's already his name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They usually save that kind of thing for gadget or technology based characters though. So the logic is frequently that they chose that name on purpose. Like Rainbow Raider doesn't coincidentally have some kind of rainbow powers, he specifically builds a rainbow device because that's his name. Victor Fries decides to make himself Mr. Freeze because that's already his name.

You say that like Roy G. Bivelo isn't a ridiculous name for someone to have.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

If George had wrote the sequels I'd fully expect one of the Sith to be called Darth Badguy.

IT'S TWO WORDS, GOD!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's actually hyphenated. Darth Bad-Guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

You say that like Roy G. Bivelo isn't a ridiculous name for someone to have.

If your last name is Bivolo and you don't name your son Roy G., you have no sense of humor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I bet there's a printing villain called Etaoin Shrdlu somewhere.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

If this is the kind of stuff that passes for comic book writing these days, it's no loving wonder DC's brand is swirling down the tubes. This reads like something Brian Clevinger would have rejected from 8-Bit Theater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the TV show Gotham did a pretty good job with Victor Fries' name. While they had characters saying it like "freeze" he says the correct pronunciation is more like "fries" as in the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably from the $1 video-game tie-in Injustice comic.