Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sunday Harlan totally looks like Tony Stark.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is mnemonic.

Working Daze makes my eyes hurt.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix makes u think liek and share if u agree.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix makes u think liek and share if u agree.

This is a parody of a comic strip called "the small society" (the title was intentionally written in lower case). The strip ran 1966 to 1999. Some papers ran it in the Editorials section, before "Doonesbury" took off. You can see a bunch here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I realize it's probably some ad-copy nuance I don't understand, but I like to imagine the artist was just so loving pleased with that terrible joke he wanted to draw it three times.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

SomeMathGuy posted:

I realize it's probably some ad-copy nuance I don't understand, but I like to imagine the artist was just so loving pleased with that terrible joke he wanted to draw it three times.

It was to illustrate to potential clients that the strip can be trimmed to fit any part of the page. Note that the 3rd strip is wider, while the top two have the sides trimmed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy gently caress, I thought that the littlest one was imagining a noose.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mister Beeg posted:

This is a parody of a comic strip called "the small society" (the title was intentionally written in lower case). The strip ran 1966 to 1999. Some papers ran it in the Editorials section, before "Doonesbury" took off. You can see a bunch here.

This was the strip that had me saying "hoo boy!" at six years of age. I didn't understand a word of it, but "hoo boy!" sounded like something good to say.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

"Boy, those clowns in Congress are at it again! What a bunch of clowns!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Recognizable food that isn't a vague abstract representation of a sandwich?

Are you sure this is Mary Worth?

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Thank you,

This is one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes of all time. Every single panel is a masterpiece.

I love the effort Bill put in to copying the dramatic angles and exaggerated expressions of soap opera comics.

Calvin's expressions in the first and second panels stand out for me. The faces of frustrated derision and amused antagonism made an awesome second joke for me when I reread the comic for the first time as a kid.

Holy crap, I just noticed the detail on the edge of the tablecloth in panel two. Bill's commitment to detail and love of his craft is awesome.

Man, compare that to the crap in Working Daze or Intelligent Life. Two artists who are clearly churning out the comic and not giving a good goddamn if it's any good or not. I don't know if I'm alone, but I feel sort of a personal offense to those comics. They're probably around my age (30's), probably grew up reading/loving newspapers comics. and can only muster jokes along the lines of

"HA HA! Nerd Reference in the workplace!"
:hfive:

"HA HA! Romance is confusing to men!"
:circlefap:

"Oops! I Forgot to write a joke! HA HA!"
:tinsley:

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dang it Heathcliff, why are you using a rapier without a shield? That's the entire point of thrusting weapons, you're gonna get your rear end kicked if you can't block.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

I know it's just a "ha ha, Ted's wacky" joke, but it really weirds me out that he competes with Hil about who will give Sal the best Mother's Day. It's different than Sal eating the ears off Hil's chocolate Easter bunnies. She's not your mother, Ted!

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Small world.

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Prince Valiant

Small world.

You'd have to be mad to be hearing even Old English in the 5th Century.

What the hell would post-Roman Britain have been speaking at that time, anyway? A Latin dialect?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kavak posted:

You'd have to be mad to be hearing even Old English in the 5th Century.

What the hell would post-Roman Britain have been speaking at that time, anyway? A Latin dialect?

Old English, actually. It's the language of the Anglo-Saxons and didn't turn into Middle English until the Norman Conquest.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Old English, actually. It's the language of the Anglo-Saxons and didn't turn into Middle English until the Norman Conquest.

I think this is a little before they settled in. King Arthur fought the Anglo-Saxons, after all.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Anglo-Saxons started settling Britain mid-fifth century. Though otherwise the languages would be British Latin and a variety of Goidelic and Brittonic languages.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Anglo-Saxons started settling Britain mid-fifth century. Though otherwise the languages would be British Latin and a variety of Goidelic and Brittonic languages.

I guess it depends on how far they've settled, Val would probably have to learn their language at some point if they've started living in southeast Britain. Anyone versed in Prince Valiant's history know what the Anglo-Saxons are up to in its setting?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As you mentioned, King Arthur - and therefore Val - have already fought the Anglo-Saxons. They are back on the mainland until they're needed for another story arc.

Also note that while the Anglo-Saxons didn't establish themselves in England until the mid-5th century, they had been raiding it since before the collapse of the Roman colonies.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kavak posted:

I guess it depends on how far they've settled, Val would probably have to learn their language at some point if they've started living in southeast Britain. Anyone versed in Prince Valiant's history know what the Anglo-Saxons are up to in its setting?

This is basically a modern Arthurian tale, and like the older stories, the author feels free to pull cool and interesting stuff willy-nilly from Late Antiquity to the High Middle Ages as suits the story. That Arthur should more accurately be a Celtic chieftain speaking an extinct Brittonic tongue doesn't figure into it. And after all, Valiant is supposed to be Norse. And his son was born in North America. Anachronism is a proud Arthurian tale tradition!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ibntumart posted:

This is basically a modern Arthurian tale, and like the older stories, the author feels free to pull cool and interesting stuff willy-nilly from Late Antiquity to the High Middle Ages as suits the story. That Arthur should more accurately be a Celtic chieftain speaking an extinct Brittonic tongue doesn't figure into it. And after all, Valiant is supposed to be Norse. And his son was born in North America. Anachronism is a proud Arthurian tale tradition!

Okay now this is a plotline I have to read.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kavak posted:

Okay now this is a plotline I have to read.

I don't know where you can read the old (and I mean 1947) strips online, but here's a synopsis at least!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

This honestly a pretty jacked up nursery rhyme

quote:

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. She gave them some broth without any bread; And whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I think Fritzi's been enjoying some of the green, herself :rznv:

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First panel of Inspector Danger reads like a Not Always Right-style STDH ("We never had a murder before here at [elite department store]") but then it goes straight into a blatant ad for Novox.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

OH gently caress

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I think I have a new fear.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Julet Esqu posted:

Inspector Danger

That assassin is going to prison because he just couldn't resist the great deals at Elite and because he was too lazy to wrap his presents himself.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I started laughing at the second panel and I haven't been able to stop since.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Johnny Walker posted:

Well the big Mary Worth news has already been broke, but here's a bigger version anyways.

Good art and distinguishable faces in Mary Worth?? :psyduck:

I just hope the writing won't go all New Dick Tracy.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Inspector Danger lives in a dystopian world, where all businesses are owned and operated by the Novox corporation. I'd really like to see him go up against some Shadowrunners.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I thought this was supposed to be about our fears, not our fantasies

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

The Day After Mother's Day Fort Knox Special

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I fear Crankshaft is attempting a much too intricate structure for my interest levels. Each of the three panels are in a different time-zone?

They couldn't think of a thing for the camel to say so just left the speech bubble blank. Stone cold.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

One of my favorites.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

That hair is so awful, it's like her head is sitting inside an egg-chair.

quote:

The Day After Mother's Day Fort Knox Special

What the hell is happening outside of that window?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

That hair is so awful, it's like her head is sitting inside an egg-chair.

That's hair? I thought it was a horribly drawn hoodie.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

ibntumart posted:

I don't know where you can read the old (and I mean 1947) strips online, but here's a synopsis at least!

Fantagraphics is republishing the older strips by year. They're up to the early '60's by now, I think. They're gorgeous editions - really high quality image reproduction and some interesting commentary and history as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

• Locked thread