Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Voodoo posted:

RIP Shaggydog. :(

Not empty quoting.

Seriously RR what the hell guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL if this is a gimmick by the Umbers and they somehow found some random rear end not-Shaggydog direwolf to use for that, as if Shags would be cool with that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And remember season one? Ned vs. Jaime? Supposedly the two best living swordsmen and Ned gets taken down by some goon's cheap shot.

In the books wasn't the fight on horseback and Ned fell or something?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

And OH MY GOD, that Tower of Joy scene.

You've got the two greatest swordsmen who ever lived, wielding the two most baller swords in the known world, Ice and Dawn, and what does the show do? Dayne has two twirly regular swords and Ned fights like a baby with a cheap bastard sword.

And remember season one? Ned vs. Jaime? Supposedly the two best living swordsmen and Ned gets taken down by some goon's cheap shot.

was Ned ever established as being one of the greatest swordsman who ever lived? I don't remember this to be true.

Also, how exactly did you think the ToJ fight went down with Reed. I always imagined Reed to cheapshot Dayne somehow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TommyGun85 posted:

was Ned ever established as being one of the greatest swordsman who ever lived? I don't remember this to be true.

Also, how exactly did you think the ToJ fight went down with Reed. I always imagined Reed to cheapshot Dayne somehow.

Barristan Selmy was afraid of him, Jaime couldn't land a blow on him, and he killed Arthur Dayne. There's also the whole never fighting in tournaments thing because he wasn't a showoff.

That's practically a blind swordsman / Wong Fei-hung / Zatoichi level of mythos about a character's skills in combat.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Kinda sad we didn't get Arya warging into a cat

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voodoo posted:

RIP Shaggydog. :(

sad :(

But on a positive note, this episode was one step closer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FGT7NzqDRU

TommyGun85 posted:

I always imagined Reed to cheapshot Dayne somehow.

Same here - we knew he wasn't a knight. I almost pictured him using some greenseer poo poo to distract one of them or something. I never visualized it as some sort of dumb 4v1 - dayne would maybe get one good shot in before they took him down, now matter how many swords he had.

I like how they are drawing out the whole TOJ scene for the Jon is a Targ moment.

Seriously though, doesn't the pacing seem really slow - we have so many plots to go through, and just not that many seasons left. Do we really need a kingsmoot? Isn't winter coming at some point? poo poo needs to move forward with like blinding speed.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 9, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LOL if this is a gimmick by the Umbers and they somehow found some random rear end not-Shaggydog direwolf to use for that, as if Shags would be cool with that.

I thought about that, and was hoping for a moment, but like... what do they gain by turning him over? If they were planning for a betrayal why not just bend the knee or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's really funny how badly written a lot of the show is now that they don't have that fat gently caress's dialogue to rely on. I don't get it though because they wrote some good show only stuff in the first few seasons but seasons 5 and 6 have just been such poo poo with the writing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM quit writing Tyrion's dialogue so tonight we had that 4 minutes of dead air where he talks to Misandry and Grey Worm.

Thank god we left out Strong Belwas and Wyman Manderly and Lady Stoneheart so we could have scenes like that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GRRM quit writing Tyrion's dialogue so tonight we had that 4 minutes of dead air where he talks to Misandry and Grey Worm.

Thank god we left out Strong Belwas and Wyman Manderly and Lady Stoneheart so we could have scenes like that.

There is something vaguely pleasing about how the show has the exact opposite problem of the books in that it eschews all character development and world building in favor of rushing the plot forward.

And also they can't really write dialogue without GRMM because they're hack writers. And yet I watch because they have the occasional good scene and I'm a sad pathetic human being who desires closure and knows he won't get it from the fat man ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^ At this point I just want to see Jon Snow go primal on the Boltons and the houses that follow him, then replace all them with the various Wildling clans. The whole "they see you as a god" stuff would be as good a reason as any for the wildlings to suddenly bend the knee rather than simply follow like they did with Mance. Just thing, we could end up with House Giantsbane. :black101:

I have to say I found the whole "man look at Ser Gregor" "I can't believe what they did to Gregor" "wow Gregor's a loving zombie" thing in the episode. The book goes about with the whole Robert Strong thing and HBO was just like "nah gently caress that dumb bullshit, everyone knows who this seven plus foot monster is and lets not pretend otherwise."

TommyGun85 posted:

He wasn't any better than what you'd expect from the son of a great house. Sandor and Gregor are probably the two biggest battlefield terrors (in both size and skill) when ASOIAF take place and that's not including Essos fighters like Drogo or Belwas.

kcroy posted:

sad :(

But on a positive note, this episode was one step closer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FGT7NzqDRU

Same here - we knew he wasn't a knight. I almost pictured him using some greenseer poo poo to distract one of them or something. I never visualized it as some sort of dumb 4v1 - dayne would maybe get one good shot in before they took him down, now matter how many swords he had.

I like how they are drawing out the whole TOJ scene for the Jon is a Targ moment.

Seriously though, doesn't the pacing seem really slow - we have so many plots to go through, and just not that many seasons left. Do we really need a kingsmoot? Isn't winter coming at some point? poo poo needs to move forward with like blinding speed.

I'm really sad the Kingsmoot stuff is happening. I hope this season ends with all the Ironborn dead and god willing we won't see anything more from Dorne because yeah, with the number of PoVs we have to go through each one of them gets what, maybe a bit over an hour of screen time for the entire season? Nine episodes in the season and we have Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Ironbore, Tyrion, Sam, Ramsay, and all the King's Landing poo poo. I'm probably forgetting someone too. I guess Daario and the other guy?

I hope this season ends with the masters coming to siege Mereen and Dany's just like "nope gently caress this poo poo we're gone" and she manages to get ships and take her core people and the Unsullied to Westeros, or she leaves them to defend the city, tells everyone to fight for their freedom or give up and go back to being slaves, and leaves with Tyrion and co on the dragons. Mereen's dumb like Dorne.

kcroy posted:

I thought about that, and was hoping for a moment, but like... what do they gain by turning him over? If they were planning for a betrayal why not just bend the knee or something.

Even in the books a bunch of houses are suddenly and illogically ok with backing not only a house that plotted to betray and murder their liege lord with enemies who loving hate the north, but are also a house that is hated by the north. Didn't the Boltons kidnap and torture some Karstarks when Ned's dad was still around? Manderly's the only house that seems to be acting in a rational way, ie: "the Boltons are loving insane and Ramsay is an insane monster who will murder us all on a whim we need to depose their asses if at all possible."

Or was it the Umbers who were basically told "we have the Greatjohn, obey or he dies?" Whereas the TV setup is "Greatjohn died, son left behind is a massive loving tool."

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 9, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait, didn't the entire harbour of Meereen get burned two episodes ago? How exactly was Varys going to send prostitute assassin away on a ship?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Interesting line by Allister Thorne - "you'll be fighting their battles forever." Maybe reading way too much into it but it's cool if it's a nod to the Azor Ahai reborn and cyclical nature of things.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

kcroy posted:

My only thought on him not bending the knee is this way he's not breaking a promise if he is setting him up. Of course this is probably going to be played as straight as possible and the Umbers really are siding with the Boltons, so it doesn't matter.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

My only thought on him not bending the knee is this way he's not breaking a promise if he is setting him up. Of course this is probably going to be played as straight as possible and the Umbers really are siding with the Boltons, so it doesn't matter.

Nah, there's almost no way the Umbers aren't double crossing Ramsay. The Umber leader in the show refused to kneel or make any oaths, repeatedly called Roose Bolton a oval office, and refused to acknowledge Ramsay's "poisoned by our enemies" story. He then trots out a severed wolf head, but it's probably a fake, and his whole song and dance about needing the Bolton's help to fight the wildlings is just a...Shaggy dog story.

John will probably march on Winterfell with a wildling army, but Ramsay will be all "nyah nyah, I have your brother, gently caress off or he dies", then the Umbers will go "lol, nope" and stab him in the back.

Or they are actually playing it straight. Which would be kind of silly, but, eh, so was Stannis deciding to burn Shireen, so who knows.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fhate posted:

Nah, there's almost no way the Umbers aren't double crossing Ramsay. The Umber leader in the show refused to kneel or make any oaths, repeatedly called Roose Bolton a oval office, and refused to acknowledge Ramsay's "poisoned by our enemies" story. He then trots out a severed wolf head, but it's probably a fake, and his whole song and dance about needing the Bolton's help to fight the wildlings is just a...Shaggy dog story.

John will probably march on Winterfell with a wildling army, but Ramsay will be all "nyah nyah, I have your brother, gently caress off or he dies", then the Umbers will go "lol, nope" and stab him in the back.

Or they are actually playing it straight. Which would be kind of silly, but, eh, so was Stannis deciding to burn Shireen, so who knows.

Either one of two things will happen:

Umber's are legit siding with a house they should (and do) loving loathe because... something, in which case Rickon's going to be a flayed corpse on display for Jon when he marches on Winterfell.
or
The Umbers are being used in place of Manderly for "find Rickon, gently caress the Boltons" in which case Rickon will probably be made lord of Winterfell and supported by Jon after Ramsay's finally crushed under all of his plot armor.

Though that wolf's head that was brought in looked very normal-sized, but that could just be due to laziness on the show's part. Though Grey Wind was massive when he was brought to Jaime's cage in season 2 IIRC. The look Rickon gives Umber is some pretty major loathing though. It's probably the former because it'll be 'dark' and 'shocking' or whatever. :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If the Umbers are backstabbing Ramsay, I figure it's: the little fight between Umber and Karstark was an act, they're plotting together to make Karstark the Lord of Winterfell.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Curious, how many people think AA is Jon vs Dany? Not to argue a point or anything, just want to see some people's reasoning.

Dany fits it all to a T imho esp. I mean she's got salt when she was born on the sea, smoke when she burned Drogo and woke the dragons, from petrified eggs so stone. And the comet came that morning and isn't there some poo poo about the stars bleeding in the prophecy? Like there was also a comet when Aegon was born which made Rhaegar think he must be PtwP/AA. Also imho Lightbringer could very easily be her dragons (or just Drogon specifically), sacrificing and burning Drogo working toward waking them w/ dat blood magic.

Basically Aemon was right all along is what I'm gettin at here.

Though with aDwD Jon has a few more things lining up just right with it all, and I almost wonder if that's just a part of the dragon having three heads. That three people who all fit the bill of this propecy will all fulfill it in some form and all be important in the battle against the Others. Kind of like how both Harry and Neville counted for the 'gna kill Voldemort' prophecy and Harry was just the unlucky sap Voldemort picked for infanticide.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
An extra who supposedly took part in The Battle of the Bastards leaked a bunch of stuff a couple months ago. Some of it has since been confirmed in the trailers that were released well afterwards. One of the plot details he gave was that just prior to the battle Ramsey sends Rickon running out into no mans land and shoots him dead with an arrow to make Jon angry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Evil Fluffy posted:

Put that in plate mail and have them wielding a zweihander (with one hand) and it'd be pretty terrifying. Hell even guys like Dave Bautista look massive when you meet them in person and Bautista's "only" 6'6" by comparison.

Especially in a medieval world where the average height is like 5'7".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

An extra who supposedly took part in The Battle of the Bastards leaked a bunch of stuff a couple months ago. Some of it has since been confirmed in the trailers that were released well afterwards. One of the plot details he gave was that just prior to the battle Ramsey sends Rickon running out into no mans land and shoots him dead with an arrow to make Jon angry.

"Kill another kid for shock value, the audience doesn't hate Ramsay enough yet."

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Kavak posted:

"Kill another kid for shock value, the audience doesn't hate Ramsay enough yet."

Yeah, it would be pretty stupid and serve no purpose.

Crap, it's probably exactly what happens.

Even if it doesn't Rickon's probably gonna bite it. I wonder what they'll do with Osha-"I haven't been on this show in like 3 years"-The Wildling. Probably something gross involving Ramsay. Maybe we'll all get lucky and she'll shove Ramsay up the rear end of the closest moose, but I doubt it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you weren't mad enough already the spoilers also say that Ramsey kills Wun Wun by shooting him in the eye. Which seems ridiculous since how the gently caress would that kill a giant but you never know with this show.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fhate posted:

I totally forgot about that. How loving dumb is Stannis, anyway? Does he really think his bannermen are going to put someone who'd burn his own daughter as a sacrifice to his god on the throne?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Ginette Reno posted:

It's really funny how badly written a lot of the show is now that they don't have that fat gently caress's dialogue to rely on. I don't get it though because they wrote some good show only stuff in the first few seasons but seasons 5 and 6 have just been such poo poo with the writing.

PLAY WITH HER ARSE

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If the book ever comes out, if, and it has a single loving scintilla of overlap with the show, I'm going to poo poo out my heart and eat it. God drat. What a loving terrible show.

There's basically no literary journey that could make shaggy dog's head being meat hooked onto ramsay's table worth it.

If you think there is any further subtlety left for this horseshit production I'd like to point you to every bran flashback where he says "that's ned's sister, my aunt" or "that's my dad, and his friend howland reed, meera's dad". The show runners do not respect anyone's intelligence now. The umbers are not playing a long game. There is not enough time in this horseshit for anything less than who stabs who and surface text. Nobody is going to be saying anything less than what they wholly unironically mean from here on out. Nobody is going to say poo poo that doesn't directly lead to a shocking stabbing. gently caress.

Except jonathan pryce gets to explain what mothers are on mother's day. poo poo that's what that was. gently caress me for thinking lady stone heart might come back. We get a loving speech on what mothers are on mother's day. Great. That was fifteen loving minutes that wasn't needed elsewhere.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I know it's pointless to think about since the book is never coming out, but Jesus think of how nicely we could speak of GRRM in comparison to the show, now.

Stannis is on his way to Winterfell with Asha, Lady Mormont, the dude from the Iron Bank, etc. to kill Roose and Ramsay.

Fat Wyman Manderly.

Theon is running off with Mance Rayder.

Rickon is the Cannibal King of Skaagos.

Sansa is with Littlefinger in the Vale.

There's like 100 characters in place to make the North interesting.

In the show Ramsay is poo poo and the north is poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm still looking forward to the Freys getting utterly hosed by everything everything in Stephenie Meyer presents George R.R. Martin's The Winds of Winter.

My entire interaction with the show at this point is just reading this thread after an episode to revel in you guys reacting to the poo poo. I'm still not okay with what they did to my boy, the one true king of Westeros, Stannis Baratheon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The preview shows Sansa and Brienne entering what we assume is castle black in the next episode, I expect a pink letter moment to occur soon enough as Jon will ride south to rescue Rickon. Brienne and Podrick are still slated to appear at Riverrun before the end of the season, who knows if Sansa tags along with them or not but it would seem they kinda have to head south in the next episode or the one after.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Krinkle posted:

If the book ever comes out, if, and it has a single loving scintilla of overlap with the show, I'm going to poo poo out my heart and eat it. God drat. What a loving terrible show.

There's basically no literary journey that could make shaggy dog's head being meat hooked onto ramsay's table worth it.

If you think there is any further subtlety left for this horseshit production I'd like to point you to every bran flashback where he says "that's ned's sister, my aunt" or "that's my dad, and his friend howland reed, meera's dad". The show runners do not respect anyone's intelligence now. The umbers are not playing a long game. There is not enough time in this horseshit for anything less than who stabs who and surface text. Nobody is going to be saying anything less than what they wholly unironically mean from here on out. Nobody is going to say poo poo that doesn't directly lead to a shocking stabbing. gently caress.

Except jonathan pryce gets to explain what mothers are on mother's day. poo poo that's what that was. gently caress me for thinking lady stone heart might come back. We get a loving speech on what mothers are on mother's day. Great. That was fifteen loving minutes that wasn't needed elsewhere.

The show is not supposed to respect anyone's intelligence. It's supposed to be comprehensible to a somewhat interested viewer who's dicking on his phone at the same time.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
How could the show kill shaggy dog when the entire point of the story is dany or maybe Davos seeing him and saying he's not really that shaggy

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

jsoh posted:

How could the show kill shaggy dog when the entire point of the story is dany or maybe Davos seeing him and saying he's not really that shaggy

Gurm clearly gave them fake notes.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mcustic posted:

The show is not supposed to respect anyone's intelligence. It's supposed to be comprehensible to a somewhat interested viewer who's dicking on his phone at the same time.

Hey I resemble that remark

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Show Jon was at Hardhome, fought an Other, and literally saw the Nights King raising a wight army. Instead of coming back from the dead to face this very real threat he's all gently caress this poo poo, I'm out!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I read his initial attitude being more along the lines of "I thought I had all the right answers but they got me killed so I'm once again full of doubts" and at the end him casting away his cloak wasn't about 'gently caress this poo poo' but more about "gently caress the watch, gently caress my vows, the old ways don't matter any more".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, didn't Jon Show already know about the Bolton's in Winterfell? he's doin' the obvious thing of going to reclaim his home so that he can protect the north as its lord.

episode was okay. the early seasons of this show were pretty fun, but the writing is all over the place now. chalk me up as another goon just stickin' around for closure, I guess. holy poo poo, though, that Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Missandei scene. if anything, Tyrion just highlighted how loving boring the other two characters are. (I did laugh, though).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lord Jon Stark can go south, take Winterfell, and command the entire North and probably the Vale and the Riverlands to march 150,000 dudes against the Others.

Commander Snow has 18 nights watch and like 200 Wildlings to fight off the undead.

There's a very obvious narrative reason Zombie Jon is quitting the NW.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

And OH MY GOD, that Tower of Joy scene.

You've got the two greatest swordsmen who ever lived, wielding the two most baller swords in the known world, Ice and Dawn, and what does the show do? Dayne has two twirly regular swords and Ned fights like a baby with a cheap bastard sword.

Now they show Dayne died by being shanked by Howland Reed.

IT'S

POETRY

IT

RHYMES

:unsmigghh:

And you left out the dialogue. How can these idiots ever be trusted to write dialogue themselves when they're given good dialogue and turn it to poo poo?

The Show posted:

Lord Stark.

I looked for you on the Trident.

We weren't there.

Your friend the usurper would lie beneath the ground if we had been.

The Mad King is dead. Rhaegar lies beneath the ground. Why weren't you there to protect your prince?

Our prince wanted us here.

Where's my sister?

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

And now it begins.

No. Now it ends.

The book posted:

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.” As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

Ned also acted and looked nothing like Sean Bean. Given how dull the rest of this episode was, I think they must have thought that this was going to be the good scene of the episode.

Please can we have another book now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

More like they're going to have the Night King destroy The Wall with the horn of winter and then Jon's going to have to rally everyone to Winterfell since the place's defenses held against the Others the last time they invaded.

If Ramsay actually gets to kill Wun Wun with a loving arrow to the eye that might be more loving retarded than anything else so far this season, but they still have time to do something worse, even if he is supposed to be a really good archer (or is that just a show thing?).

e: If GRRM gives the slightest poo poo about writing the next book he'll have a launch date posted in the credits of the season finale but I don't think "sometime before 2052" would mean much.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 9, 2016