Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

mojo1701a posted:

In other words, conservative media has a narrative continuity shorter than that of professional wrestling.

The next storyline is Trump turns face and saves the Republican Party from itself. Obama then reveals himself as the modern day reincarnation of D-Generation X and then fights Trump in Hell in the Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There was a whole lot of "respect the station of the presidency" and "support the troops" because no one liked thinking critically about that whole "why are we in Iraq anyway" situation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vargatron posted:

The next storyline is Trump turns face and saves the Republican Party from itself. Obama then reveals himself as the modern day reincarnation of D-Generation X and then fights Trump in Hell in the Cell.

I don't even watch rasslin' but I'd watch the hell out of that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It remains hilarious that all this happened within recent memory of the "Wag the Dog" bullshit campaign against Clinton.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Levantine posted:

I'll never get tired of the unearned self importance of right wing bloggers. I mean, they're bloggers. It's not like Crowder is a proper journalist. He's not dodging gunfire in the Middle East to get a story or anything. He sits in comfort at home thinking up lame burns (unless he's getting punched out by old men at union rallies and lying about it).

I imagine a Galt's Gulch where it's just a bunch of right wing bloggers since listening to them they are the most important people in society unlike the scum that makes them food, cleans up their garbage, or otherwise makes sure they don't die .

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Alex Jones describes Hillary... dear God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpCF55IaMA&t=721s

edit:

LOL, LOOK AT THIS loving AD PLAYED AFTER THAT VIDEO!!!!

Movie: Amerigeddon
Synopsis: America is being destroyed by it's government. Martial Law, arms confiscation, not having enough food, evil dudes.... "I'm just so afraid of the world you're going to have to grow up in."

AN OLD LADY LITERALLY SAYS BOOTSTRAPS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDHDh0s_BQ

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 9, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Radish posted:

I imagine a Galt's Gulch where it's just a bunch of right wing bloggers since listening to them they are the most important people in society unlike the scum that makes them food, cleans up their garbage, or otherwise makes sure they don't die .

Did they ever explain how galt's gulch functioned with just a bunch of former CEOs that apparently made the world function by pure force of will/personality? Or is that place now just a loving landfill?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Did they ever explain how galt's gulch functioned with just a bunch of former CEOs that apparently made the world function by pure force of will/personality? Or is that place now just a loving landfill?

They literally had a free energy machine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rick_Hunter posted:

Galt was so super magnificent he discovered a free energy machine that solved everyone's problems as soon as they went to its shrine to pledge eternal loyalty and put up a Klingon-style cloaking field around the area so no filthy normals could see into it.

I read the book on a bet and the two of us settled on a draw based on a technicality, 37 god drat pages of one poo poo head speaking uninterrupted saying what could be condensed into maybe one paragraph if Rand wasn't such a stunningly awful author was just too much for me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rick_Hunter posted:

A free energy machine so its literally deus ex machina

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A free energy machine so its literally deus ex machina

Because that instantly translate into some way to produce food/clean water/magical cloaking device without someone applying said free energy. In short, someone would have to figure out how to turn free energy into those things, build the device and then man it, or *dum-dum-dum* work.

Laziest loving plot device ever. Especially since from what I understand the big deal was that he didn't want to share when the rest of the world was all "Hey, could you show us how to make one of those too? That really would solve so many problems it's not funny." And the dude was all "Nope. I wanna be special!" and throws a tantrum worthy of a five-year-old child because they want to copy his device.

As if the actual, physical proof you could make a perpetual motion machine wouldn't start a massive R&D race as every university, research lab, defense contractor, etc. doesn't immediately drop their current plans and starts trying to reverse engineer the machine from any pictures that they have. The world would probably have their own perpetual motion machines/deus ex machina in 4-5 years, 10 on the outside.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

As if the actual, physical proof you could make a perpetual motion machine wouldn't start a massive R&D race as every university, research lab, defense contractor, etc. doesn't immediately drop their current plans and starts trying to reverse engineer the machine from any pictures that they have. The world would probably have their own perpetual motion machines/deus ex machina in 4-5 years, 10 on the outside.

All of the people who could even possibly come close to that decamped for Galt's Gulch. Anyone who wouldn't go to Galt's Gulch was a huckster who was selling bullshit, not a Trve Captain Of Industry.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Actually no, because only a True Captain of Industry has the ingenuity to make such a machine. And a TCI wouldn't share because they're above selflessness.

e: fb

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

if I recall correctly Galt's Gulch also had some sort of super technology making it invisible so that the ungrateful takers couldn't storm the place after society collapsed. I don't know how you read a book where for everything to work out we have to have magic scifi technology to even hope to function and say that it will work if we institute it all right now. I mean I know it means you are either an idiot or know that the thing is a scam and are rich enough to profit but it sucks we have to suffer since people keep trying to push a bad fanfic as serious policy.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually no, because only a True Captain of Industry has the ingenuity to make such a machine. And a TCI wouldn't share because they're above selflessness.

Except for that pirate guy that died saving Galt since he was so cool. Even in context of her lovely book she knew she actually had to have characters act somewhat heroic breaking down her ideology because the alternative would be everyone murdering each other over spare change. Someone wrote up an article on how the book disproves itself numerous times it is so badly written but I've lost it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

if I recall correctly Galt's Gulch also had some sort of super technology making it invisible so that the ungrateful takers couldn't storm the place after society collapsed. I don't know how you read a book where for everything to work out we have to have magic scifi technology to even hope to function and say that it will work if we institute it all right now. I mean I know it means you are either an idiot or know that the thing is a scam and are rich enough to profit but it sucks we have to suffer since people keep trying to push a bad fanfic as serious policy.

This is basically why Libertarians love science fiction so drat much: It allows them to invent ridiculous scenarios where their ideology actually works out.

Then they inadvertently write them as insane dystopias anyway and don't notice.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
My favourite objectivist literature is the Sword of Truth series. A series in which a former traumatised rape victim is threatened with more rape by the main character's wife, and ends with everyone who doesn't agree with the main character's objectivist viewpoints being sent to actual hell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

My favourite objectivist literature is the Sword of Truth series. A series in which a former traumatised rape victim is threatened with more rape by the main character's wife, and ends with everyone who doesn't agree with the main character's objectivist viewpoints being sent to actual hell.

Oh my god, don't even get me started. In one book he goes to fantasy Soviet Russia and convinces everyone that Capitalism is amazing by doing a bunch of jobs himself and creating the most perfect statue anyone has ever seen.

In another book he slaughters a nation of pacifists because they had the gall to be pacifists. This is the hero and who we are supposed to relate to.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Some crazy person is Let's Reading it right now here. They just finished the 4th book and it's really terrible. And it only gets worse!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

This is basically why Libertarians love science fiction so drat much: It allows them to invent ridiculous scenarios where their ideology actually works out.

Then they inadvertently write them as insane dystopias anyway and don't notice.

It should also be pointed out that quite a few of their stories are set in present-day alternate universes so they can say "See?! This is what we could have right now if only the government wasn't holding me us back!".

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Does /r/The_Donald stuff go here? I haven't seen much posting about it. It is now the biggest politically related subreddit.

Someone posted a gif of a girl flicking off Trump Tower and taking a pic. The comments are beautiful. /r/The_Donald posters losing their poo poo and everyone else mocking them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/4ij1hs/girl_flipping_off_the_trump_tower/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who What Now posted:

It should also be pointed out that quite a few of their stories are set in present-day alternate universes so they can say "See?! This is what we could have right now if only the government wasn't holding me us back!".

Libertarian thinking functions as an excuse in two contexts: The college alt-right dropout who is convinced he (and it's usually he) could be God King of all Industry if the government would just get out of the way (which is a safe excuse because we'll never actually get rid of government, basically, so he can continue thinking that without the assumption ever really being challenged by reality) and the rich man saying 'Look, taking everything I can from the world is moral, selfishness is morally justified.' to assuage his conscience.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kokoro Wish posted:

Only read the first book and that was enough for me. I also wrote while inebriated my reactions to every chapter.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Some crazy person is Let's Reading it right now here. They just finished the 4th book and it's really terrible. And it only gets worse!

Oh thank god, I was just thinking about trying to reread some of it and this will save me the pain.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Who What Now posted:

Naturally, the irony that these amazing Mary Sue corporate assholes can deliver feats of hard work and innovation, but are absolutely stumped by taxes and regulations from the people they dub so inferior never occurs to them.

I don't understand how someone gets so far up their own rear end that they genuinely believe in this self-aggrandizing temper tantrum of a "philosophy". It's like FYGM, but without even the Got Mine part.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I would suggest that no one actually read that thread. I can appreciate the OP's dedication to the darkness, but even with the comedic riffing going on there, you are still subjected to honestly one of the shittiest things ever put to paper. Those books are a god-awful steaming pool of abject jackassery.

One of my friends went through his Libertarian phase a bit later in life than usual and read that entire series and tried to get me to read it. He thankfully gave up that fiasco and became a cool guy instead.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Geostomp posted:

Naturally, the irony that these amazing Mary Sue corporate assholes can deliver feats of hard work and innovation, but are absolutely stumped by taxes and regulations from the people they dub so inferior never occurs to them.
It's pretty much the same with conservatism in the main. It's a totally robust and kickass way to make an economy and organize a society, but sprinkle in a little bit of welfare state here, or some civil rights there, and of course it all goes to poo poo. Better make sure we don't do any of that stuff! please keep doing it

You see it on the left sometimes too, but not so much these days.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is that the series that was somehow translated into a decent TV show?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

God drat, it seems all of the loving bullshit liberals had to go through back in the day has fallen down the memory hole. If people can remember specific incidents to search for, let me know.

I remember poo poo like the Dixie Chicks being blacklisted, 'free speech zones', and poo poo like that from back in the day. Not enough specifics I can Google, though. It's just bullshit about how conservatives (and the internet) forgets all of the shouting down liberals had to endure during the Bush admin.

Some of us remember. Ever since then I've taken the time to poo poo all over the press (ESPECIALLY CNN) every single chance I get and will never vote Republican until I die, barring a realignment.

Crowder does remember those years, probably fondly, as he was likely the one throwing poo poo at protesters and sending death threats to anybody who asked questions. It was a literal Crusade according to the administration so I imagine he was SUPER on board

Galt's free energy machine sounds like a deus ex machina on par with the Orson Scott Card's freaking FTL drive. After that book I didn't even bother reading the rest. Xenocide I think it was

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 9, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh my god, thank you for linking this. It's a special thrill to vicariously re-live these terrible books with other goons occasionally chiming in and going "Seriously, what the gently caress?"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If I recall correctly, only Galt ran the generator in the Gulch and things worked because one of the other TCIs had a fancy car that he could rent to Galt in exchange for the perpetual energy, and another TCI had something else to sell/rent, and another cooked food for sale, and so on. So basically even the Gulch janitor was somehow a TCI who could earn enough from the other Gulch residents to rent a generator. Or something. It all fell apart about 1/3 of the way through when the government forcibly stole Reardon's metal from his factory. Or when Dagny abandoned whatsisface. Or maybe in the first paragraph. I don't remember anymore. That book was basically "Ancap 101".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some former Facebook employees (sorry, "contractors") have been airing a shitload of laundry about the Trending News widget.

Gizmodo has a 1500 word article about how Facebook was suppressing conservative news.

And a 50 word disclosure about how Gawker is currently participating in a Facebook News curation program.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

Is that the series that was somehow translated into a decent TV show?

Yep, but the show was entirely reliant on being syndicated. So it ended up getting canceled

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Phone posted:

Some former Facebook employees (sorry, "contractors") have been airing a shitload of laundry about the Trending News widget.

Gizmodo has a 1500 word article about how Facebook was suppressing conservative news.

And a 50 word disclosure about how Gawker is currently participating in a Facebook News curation program.

Dear me, Facebook trended an article about how O'Reilly doesn't understand how welfare works instead of a Red State article that says 'O'Reilly delivered a devastating monologue to those welfare queens?'

:patriot: :monocle: CENSORSHIP :argh: :freep:

Although looking for that FB article did clue me into this article.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/get-hosed-john-kasich-1775106445

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Alkydere posted:

Or worse. Love me some Star Trek, but we would blow the crap out of ourselves in like a month if we had infinite energy.

Best case: Eclipse Phase.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Bob the Angry Flower sums up the aftermath of Atlas Shrugged nicely:

The problem with libertarian sci-fi is that it requires magic to work. What I wonder is if the writer ever realizes this themself and has to make something up in order to make their point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If only there was a way to be completely surrounded by conservative media by only opening my eyes and getting out of bed.

Oh wait, there is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

God drat, it seems all of the loving bullshit liberals had to go through back in the day has fallen down the memory hole. If people can remember specific incidents to search for, let me know.

I remember poo poo like the Dixie Chicks being blacklisted, 'free speech zones', and poo poo like that from back in the day. Not enough specifics I can Google, though. It's just bullshit about how conservatives (and the internet) forgets all of the shouting down liberals had to endure during the Bush admin.

Americans need to watch what they say, watch what they do

We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality.

quote:

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

I really wish Trump would quote that last bit back at the GOP #NeverTrump crew.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 9, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rick_Hunter posted:

Dear me, Facebook trended an article about how O'Reilly doesn't understand how welfare works instead of a Red State article that says 'O'Reilly delivered a devastating monologue to those welfare queens?'

:patriot: :monocle: CENSORSHIP :argh: :freep:

Although looking for that FB article did clue me into this article.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/get-hosed-john-kasich-1775106445

http://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

Not quoting the whole thing, but this is the best part:

quote:

Among the deep-sixed or suppressed topics on the list: former IRS official Lois Lerner, who was accused by Republicans of inappropriately scrutinizing conservative groups; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; popular conservative news aggregator the Drudge Report; Chris Kyle, the former Navy SEAL who was murdered in 2013; and former Fox News contributor Steven Crowder. “I believe it had a chilling effect on conservative news,” the former curator said.

It sounds like someone got pissy that his Hate-Speech-as-News wasn't being flagged as trending.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I never read the book but from these descriptions, Galt's Gulch sounds pretty collectivist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Prepare the Walsh anger because this is Big

quote:

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch is slated to announce law enforcement action related to North Carolina Monday at 3:30 p.m. E.T., according to a Justice Department statement. The press conference comes after North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory announced a lawsuit against the federal government in response to a Justice Department letter saying the state’s new anti-LGBT law violates civil rights.