Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do you know what goes great together? Ayn Rand and Buddhism, apparently. http://the-toast.net/2016/05/06/at-last-someone-has-combined-zen-buddhism-with-ayn-rands-objectivism/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

quote:

Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.

[edit] I see somebody beat me to the obvious response in the comments already. Ah well.

Heresiarch has a new favorite as of 00:05 on May 8, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm pretty sure you have to murder a couple thousand Muslims to be considered "Dark Buddhism"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I only just kind of skimmed it, but it seems to me like the gist was basically:

1) Buddhism and Objectivism are mostly incompatible
2) Buddhism has no rigid code of morals and shows that there is no one privileged point of view
3) Therefore, I can simply ignore the parts that don't gel with what I already believe but still claim to be a Buddhist and tack on the word "dark" because I am mentally 15

Edit: went back and read it more thoroughly and that's exactly what it said. I don't think you could possibly find any two philosophies that are more in conflict with each other in the very core of how they perceive the world.

Also lmfao at "if enlightenment weren't a good thing, nobody would want it, right?" The very meaning of enlightenment is that you have absolved yourself of the desire to be enlightened, among all other worldly desires. So clearly this guy took Philo 110 and decided he understood the intricacy of Zen enough to completely ignore the parts that don't fit with Objectivism (i.e. All of it except the name)

Heath has a new favorite as of 01:03 on May 8, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

I am mentally 15

AltRight.txt

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

1) Buddhism and Objectivism are mostly incompatible

For a :airquote:philosopher:airquote: this guy cannot spot axiomatic incompatibility to save his life. They are entirely incompatible. Unless your version of Buddhism is New Age Spirituality™, there should be no way to blend "only I matter" and "I don't exist."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Another reacto review

From the blog that gave us not talking to fascists is abuser behavior and whatever the living hell this is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do any of these people end up killing themselves? They don't seem to have much in life to keep them going. For as much as "the friendzone" likely features into their worldview, I bet they don't have many friends either.

Like, can you imagine being 25 and white with some kind of middle-class job and being furious about loving curbside recycling? What do you have to live for at that point?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The pleasures of being one of the privileged classes? Half of this is probably outrage addiction.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Their own philosophy about genetic selection justifies their suicides though so that's depressing

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Jack Gladney posted:

Do any of these people end up killing themselves? They don't seem to have much in life to keep them going. For as much as "the friendzone" likely features into their worldview, I bet they don't have many friends either.

Like, can you imagine being 25 and white with some kind of middle-class job and being furious about loving curbside recycling? What do you have to live for at that point?

It's one of the things that makes them more insufferable than actual fascists. The Italian Futurists would be close cousins to neoreaction. But at least the Futurists walked their talk and all got killed doing manly poo poo in WWI.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Why is Phil giving free copies of his book to people who claim to hate everything he represents, and are simultaneously too bafflingly stupid to understand what he even represents in the first place?

Like, if you wanna talk about signalling, these Nrx reviews are it right here: the entire depth of their engagement with Phil's text begins and ends with "Author is admitted Marxist → This book is bad". They're more concerned with desperately taking a Marxist down a notch—a Marxist who's approached them asking for comment, no less! Or rather, trying very, very hard to take him down and failing because the vast bulk of neoreactionaries are shallow idiots with a rickety worldview that can't survive genuine engagement with anyone of Phil's calibur. I'm actually embarrassed for them. Phil is literally handing it to them on a silver platter, and they're still fuckin failing to write a critique that doesn't leave me actively pitying their abysmal reading comprehension.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Why is Phil giving free copies of his book to people who claim to hate everything he represents, and are simultaneously too bafflingly stupid to understand what he even represents in the first place?

For Laffs, I assume.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Like, if you wanna talk about signalling, these Nrx reviews are it right here: the entire depth of their engagement with Phil's text begins and ends with "Author is admitted Marxist → This book is bad". They're more concerned with desperately taking a Marxist down a notch—a Marxist who's approached them asking for comment, no less! Or rather, trying very, very hard to take him down and failing because the vast bulk of neoreactionaries are shallow idiots with a rickety worldview that can't survive genuine engagement with anyone of Phil's calibur. I'm actually embarrassed for them. Phil is literally handing it to them on a silver platter, and they're still fuckin failing to write a critique that doesn't leave me actively pitying their abysmal reading comprehension.

Eh, kinda seems like you just answered your own question. :v:

I liked the most of the "substance" of the review was nitpicking about mega nerd poo poo only LessWrongers care about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Well I'm sure Vox Day would love to have "This book terrified me and is dangerous reading for innocent gamers --Zoe Quinn" on the back of HIS book. Same broad principle really.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Step 1:Read text critical of Less Wrong.

Step 2:Find a place in said text where the author mentions one of the Angels Dancing On The Heads Of Pins topics LW loves

Step 3: Find error in summary. If one does not exist, manufacture one.

Step 4: Spend countless hours and thousands of words carefully examining and re-examining the dancing angels problem with the help of all the people who are always ready to produce thousands of words arguing about vaguely sciency nothings.

Step 5: You have now "delt with" the problem by burying the actual criticism beneath an industrial waste dump of pedantic verbiage about a minor part of the text.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

No such thing as bad publicity.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
This man is having the time of his life and I feel proud to be in the same timeline as him.

Space Raptor Butt Redemption posted:

After a year stationed on planet Zorbus, astronaut Lance Tanner and his raptor lover Orion return home to find that they are not greeted as heroes, but as villains.

Unbeknownst to Lance, his space travels have been funded by the villainous Scoundrels Inc, a corporation that has deep ties to the illegal trade of unicorn tears and a destructive mining project at the core of the earth. Now Lance is on trial for a number of false charges; from having connections to the wicked Scoundrels, to being too strange for space.

The opposing lawyer argues that space is only for serious astronauts, and that love between a raptor and a man is giving space travel a bad name. Lance is arguing that there’s room to be weird in space. More importantly, Lance is arguing for the idea of love itself; that just because something comes out of darkness doesn’t mean it can’t become a beacon of light.

Of course, this all culminates in a hardcore dinosaur on astronaut pounding that will have your jaw on the courtroom floor!

This erotic tale is 5,000 words of sizzling human on gay dinosaur action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies, voyeurism and space raptor love.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's great publicity because it prompts these turds to validate everything in the book. I'm sure the audience that gathers to laugh at them by reading their awful stuff is pretty big, so it's also like product placement.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can only hope these sci-fi book awards result in a narrative from Mr. Tingle. He is perhaps the most unexpected ally we could have in the internet culture war, but I'm glad he's here.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: 5,000 words of sizzling human on gay dinosaur action

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

I can only hope these sci-fi book awards result in a narrative from Mr. Tingle. He is perhaps the most unexpected ally we could have in the internet culture war, but I'm glad he's here.

he already wrote a book about being pounded in the butt by his hugo award nomination

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

"so much for this Shakespeare fellow this so called 'Macbeth' has no decision theory at all 0/10 do not give money"

Phil actually called the guy out on his completely ridiculous review. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] Not sure I'd spend so much time arguing with a shitheaded reviewer, but evidently he thinks it'll work for him and set expectations.

As Storming The Ivory put it: "Honestly my new favorite spectator sport right now is watching Cultists/NRXers flagrantly lie about Neoreaction A Basilisk and pad out the lies with countless words boiling down to 'I’m twelve and what is lit'"

Basically, if you want to get the arguments hot off the presses, Phil's Tumblr is where the action is.

The discussion is accelerating nicely and he's successfully establishing they will be called out on complete BS. Also the Kickstarter's topped $7k.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Step 1:Read text critical of Less Wrong.

Step 2:Find a place in said text where the author mentions one of the Angels Dancing On The Heads Of Pins topics LW loves

Step 3: Find error in summary. If one does not exist, manufacture one.

Step 4: Spend countless hours and thousands of words carefully examining and re-examining the dancing angels problem with the help of all the people who are always ready to produce thousands of words arguing about vaguely sciency nothings.

Step 5: You have now "delt with" the problem by burying the actual criticism beneath an industrial waste dump of pedantic verbiage about a minor part of the text.

This is literally the process by which rationalists deal with all critiques of their subculture, particularly step 3. Neoreactionaries are even worse for it. edit: step 6: call the author a lying liar who lies and is misreading you from malice.

leftclausewitz notes, and Storming The Ivory concurs, how LW basically wants the Neoreactionary end goal. (Of course I noted this a coupla years ago.)

divabot has a new favorite as of 15:03 on May 8, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

Neoreaction a Basilisk colour facsimile zine edition preview is up now. Time to dive into the sofa for loose change!

Nydwracu has reviewed the book, and Phil notes in the comments he will be correcting the minor error noted accordingly. He's also extended an offer to neoreactionaries and rationalists who want to review it to ping him for a preview copy.

holy poo poo it starts with fuckin grover

im in

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was amazed when it hit $4k and now it's hit $7k in a little over a week. Holy moly!

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Tesseraction posted:

I was amazed when it hit $4k and now it's hit $7k in a little over a week. Holy moly!

I hope this thing is as full of gratuitous William Blake references as it appears to be

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A Man With A Plan posted:

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: 5,000 words of sizzling human on gay dinosaur action

Holy poo poo, please make this the thread title.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shakespearean Beef posted:

I hope this thing is as full of gratuitous William Blake references as it appears to be

Sandifer's next project, according to that podcast he did with divabot, is an annotated complete edition of Blake's work, so I'd say odds are good.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

This is a bit off the subject but I love how he repeatedly cites a séance to contact Blake in Last War in Albion.

Unbelievably Fat Man has a new favorite as of 19:18 on May 8, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just noticed Neoreaction a Basilisk has been marked as a "Project We Love" by kickstarter themselves :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I just noticed Neoreaction a Basilisk has been marked as a "Project We Love" by kickstarter themselves :allears:

Considering the amount of thinkpieces asking "Is Kickstarter responsible for the content it hosts?" Written by major publications in response to neoreactionaries it might be good business sense on Kickstarter's end to endorse it :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Applying what I am assured is a good form of textual analysis to that review gave me this

Fnord posted:

Phil Sandifer book Eliezer Yudkowsky, Mencius Moldbug/Curtis Yarvin, and Nick Land. Kickstarter page overview, advise against giving him any more money

Sandifer English major Marxist Neoreaction A Basilisk defies neither stereotype meandering, disorganized frequently mean-spirited (“Yudkowsky punchable people ”) long digressions Milton, Blake, Hannibal, China Miéville, The Matrix, Deleuze.

new not interesting interesting not new. do not recommend book.

titular basilisk.

Sandifer not understand decision theory information hazards literary.

Sandifer’s explanation timeless decision theory “intense contortions many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics”, ( physics math.) Yudkowsky vocal proponent many-worlds timeless decision theory applications quantum multiverse confusion understandable.

Sandifer Newcomb’s Problem “thought-experiment version of the Prisoner’s Dilemma” not right. Sandifer dissolve Newcomb’s problem

Sandifer’s discussion decision theory psychoanalysis tired religious analogies.

I posted this rigorous analysis in the comments, but there's a 50/50 shot that goes through so I'm posting it here.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Oligopsony posted:

quote:

This erotic tale is 5,000 words of sizzling human on gay dinosaur action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies, voyeurism and space raptor love.

How is there even room for all that in 5,000 words?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

How is there even room for all that in 5,000 words?
[/quote]

Writing is an art and he's a master of his craft

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
It's OK! Crisis averted, everyone! Scott has cautioned the rationalists not to talk about the book. Because "do not look at/talk about/acknowledge Neoreaction A Basilisk or bad things will happen" is a line of thought that has worked out spiffingly for rationalism heretofore. Phil sends a love note to the rationalists in general.

Meanwhile I had a bit of a rant following up stormingtheivory and leftclausewitz on Yudkowsky and neoreaction.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

quote:

If you post something like “I hate Eliezer, the Singularity is the rapture for nerds, and effective altruism is imperialism and we should have full communism instead”, rationalist Tumblr as a whole will conclude that you are a rationalist and trying to be friends, and will behave accordingly. (“Behaving accordingly” involves reblogging you with long-winded rebuttals; see dogpiling.) Rationalist Tumblr tends to parse statements that are probably intended to be “boo rationalists” as being serious critiques: it tends to go “hmm, maybe the Singularity is the rapture for nerds… well, on one hand, your point is valid because it is an eschatology that’s most popular among Silicon Valley types, but on the object level the Singularity does seem more plausible than the Rapture, and Singulatarians tend to be explicitly universalist…”

I have to say that I agree with him that this is actually a good thing on some level. Tone deaf, but the thing that keeps me from 100% writing off the whole LessWrong crew as a bona-fide cult is that they are willing to engage in this kind of self-criticism. They're only 90% of the way there otherwise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What does 'steelmanning' mean by the way?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Tesseraction posted:

It's supposed to be the opposite of strawmanning, where instead of inventing a lovely version of someone's argument to attack, you invent the best possible version of someone's argument to debate against.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tesseraction posted:

The opposite of a strawman - to try and imagine the "best" and most sound version of your opponents argument to lend credence to your counterargument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The opposite of strawmanning, basically, in that you intentionally construct the most charitably interpreted, logically rigorous, and conformant to facts version of an opponent's argument as the subject of a refutation. Dunno why what seems like the proper way to make a good case needs its own special term but hey.

eta: Wow, OK, that was enthusiastic.