Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rumors are CBS is looking at options for Supergirl. One option is slashing the budget and shipping it to the CW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Rumors are CBS is looking at options for Supergirl. One option is slashing the budget and shipping it to the CW.
Based on what I've seen, I don't think that show can handle any lower of a budget.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

Based on what I've seen, I don't think that show can handle any lower of a budget.

On the CW, all shots of Supergirl flying are just reused season 1 footage. They do that for the next 4 seasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

No show deserves that fate.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah, as much as I wouldn't mind the writers doing some hand-wavy poo poo to merge that universe into the Arrowverse for some potentially cool crossover, I don't think Supergirl can endure any lower of a budget either.

CBS should just make it a 10-13 episode season, but broadcast network TV doesn't like that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just write Melissa Benoist into Arrow as a super strong amnesiac who decides to take on the name Karen Starr. Flash recognizes her when they meet, and it turns out the amnesia was caused by an extreme reaction to whatever has been sapping team Flash's intelligence all season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turns out that rocket is just full of kryptonite, permanently taking away Kara's powers.

Also J'onn dies somehow, but leaves Kara the apartment complex he invested in.

Kara loses her job at Catco because that set and Flockhart are expensive, so she moves into the apartment complex and to save money takes over the job of building superintendent herself while dealing with the issues of her quirky renters.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Haha no poo poo the ratings didn't justify 3 million per episode. It was a Supergirl show forbidden to have Superman on it, and then the writers decided to be dicks about it by having "Instant Messenger Clark" and "distantly mind controlled Superman", and possibly most egregiously, "Superman's boots." People apparently have low tolerance for poo poo like that, and had he been on the show proper, the ratings would have been better. Probably still not enough to justify the budget, since I am sure they would have found a way to make it terrible, but still.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the thing we need to take notice of here is that according to the wording in that article the three million was just the broadcast licensing fee per episode. That's insane.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Just put it on the CW and forget about it.

I stopped reading DC with the New 52. I don't like Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash or Arrow anymore. I didn't like Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel or Batman v Superman.

My transformation to Marvel fanboy is almost complete. :(

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

X-O posted:

I think the thing we need to take notice of here is that according to the wording in that article the three million was just the broadcast licensing fee per episode. That's insane.

Huh. Yeah, it does read that way. Which could mean the show might be at 4 or even 5 million an episode, which is psychotically expensive for this. Game of Thrones is like 6 million and back in the "million per actor" heyday of Friends it was 10m an episode.

I really like Supergirl as a show. But I also don't want them to drastically compromise the show to make ends meet and would rather have it end after a good first season than get mired down in mediocre quality due to budgeting issues.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Heathen posted:

Just put it on the CW and forget about it.

I stopped reading DC with the New 52. I don't like Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash or Arrow anymore. I didn't like Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel or Batman v Superman.

My transformation to Marvel fanboy is almost complete. :(

I kind of like Injustice. :/

X-O posted:

If this is true then it lends credence to my theory that the people running WB are either completely insane or that they actively despise DC properties and are pissed that they are being forced to use those properties to compete with Disney.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Codependent Poster posted:

On the CW, all shots of Supergirl flying are just reused season 1 footage. They do that for the next 4 seasons.

Worked for Battlestar

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

:stare: would CW still be subject to that $3mil licensing fee? Because if so holy hell, please cancel Supergirl and let it die before we have to see that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrProsek posted:

:stare: would CW still be subject to that $3mil licensing fee? Because if so holy hell, please cancel Supergirl and let it die before we have to see that.

The new adventures of Supergirl, coming to the CW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NUvO2R0X7w

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Imagine what the show might look like with that 3 million going into the production budget.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ToastyPotato posted:

If this is true then it lends credence to my theory that the people running WB are either completely insane or that they actively despise DC properties and are pissed that they are being forced to use those properties to compete with Disney.

I kinda hope the rumor of a Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe (HBCU) is true because that means WB wants another property, any other property, to use than Superman.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mycot posted:

I kinda hope the rumor of a Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe (HBCU) is true because that means WB wants another property, any other property, to use than Superman.

If it is true, then you might be right. Because it is insane to think that they would pour resources into something like that instead of developing their underdeveloped, lagging, DC properties.

I might be quitting Legends after tonight. At this rate, Avengers Assemble is probably a better written show.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well, you see nobody will complain when Spaceghost snaps Zorack's neck and cries.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough. I guess I assumed AoS was bigger because it's on Channel 4.

Again, I might be over-estimating the enduring popularity of Channel 4. I mostly watch TV after the fact on DVDs nowadays.
These days Channel 4 is usually left with cast-off shows which Sky don't want.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SirDan3k posted:

Well, you see nobody will complain when Spaceghost snaps Zorack's neck and cries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7k-91YQE4&t=298s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

These days Channel 4 is usually left with cast-off shows which Sky don't want.

One thing I distinctly remember vis-a-vis Channel 4 / Sky One relations: when Ricky Gervais did that Simpsons episode based on Wife Swap a number of years ago, Sky One ran this really irritating and obnoxious ad campaign in the week leading up to the debut, and the last one, which went out immediately before the episode started, was this text scrolling up the screen that said something like, "Ricky Gervais would like to remind you that Channel 4 does not broadcast The Simpsons two years behind Sky One. Ricky Gervais would like to remind you that Channel 4 broadcasts episodes four years behind Sky One. :smug:" Then the episode was pretty bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

She is like the most amazingly bad actress.

If the show dumped Coulson, Daisy, Lincoln, brought back Bobbie and dropped all references to Inhumans it might become watchable.

I don't often disagree with you. When i do, i want to smash your head in with your opinion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

I don't often disagree with you. When i do, i want to smash your head in with your opinion.

Awww. Mean.

Watching the CW shows is like being in an abusive relationship. You think you should leave. You know you should leave. They hurt you, they make you cry, they make you wish you were dead. But then they show up with candy and flowers and you think "Maybe this week things will be different. Maybe this week Barry/Ollie/Rip won't be terrible." But it's never different. It will always be terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Awww. Mean.

Watching the CW shows is like being in an abusive relationship. You think you should leave. You know you should leave. They hurt you, they make you cry, they make you wish you were dead. But then they show up with candy and flowers and you think "Maybe this week things will be different. Maybe this week Barry/Ollie/Rip won't be terrible." But it's never different. It will always be terrible.

I know it's not a comic book show, but I'd love your opinion on the CW's Reign if you ever watched it. It's basically a more contrived version of The OC, except it's about Mary Queen of Scots.

Edit: Speaking up for Arrow, Ollie has had a pretty consistent characterization this season, I don't agree with every decision Ollie makes, but I understand them. It's his friends who are assholes.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I know it's not a comic book show, but I'd love your opinion on the CW's Reign if you ever watched it. It's basically a more contrived version of The OC, except it's about Mary Queen of Scots.

I adored the first few seasons of the OC but I haven't ever watched Reign and I'm really only vaguely aware that is exists. I tried to watch the Vampire Diaries after much praise from the TV IV but I couldn't get into it. I recently found out that Claudia Black is on that show so I'll need to find time to watch that. Anymore the 100 and iZombie are the only shows I look forward to on the CW.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I adored the first few seasons of the OC but I haven't ever watched Reign and I'm really only vaguely aware that is exists. I tried to watch the Vampire Diaries after much praise from the TV IV but I couldn't get into it. I recently found out that Claudia Black is on that show so I'll need to find time to watch that. Anymore the 100 and iZombie are the only shows I look forward to on the CW.

Vampire Diaries sucks (no pun intended), The Originals was a decent spin-off but jumped up it's own rear end pretty quick. I'm going to half heartedly recomend Reign (it has a sexy Nostradamus, which is a sentence I never thought possible to type) and make a note to check out the 100 because I think our TV opinions have matched up pretty close.

I wish Constantine had been a CW show, the major difference between big 4 network shows and the CW is Big 4 shows are based off the procedural and CW is based off the prime time Soap (usually, there are exceptions going both ways) and if any character needs a Soap treatment over a procedural it's loving Constantine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Make sure you give the 100 a fair shake, the early episodes of season 1 are a bit rough but it really builds strength by the midpoint and the S1 finale is fantastic. Quite a few people are upset with the current season but it's been quite enjoyable so far.

Is Reign on Netflix? I'll have to check later, I'm at the midpoint on Fringe so once I wrap that I can slot in a new series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Is Reign on Netflix? I'll have to check later, I'm at the midpoint on Fringe so once I wrap that I can slot in a new series.

Probably, most of CW ends up there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

Make sure you give the 100 a fair shake, the early episodes of season 1 are a bit rough but it really builds strength by the midpoint and the S1 finale is fantastic. Quite a few people are upset with the current season but it's been quite enjoyable so far.
I fully agree with this. It has some early bumps to get over but once it finds its groove it's one of, if not the, best Sci-Fi show on tv. First two seasons are on Netflix.

quote:

It is. I tried to give it a shake but mixing teen drama with historical set work just wasn't do it for me. It also hurts by having full 22 ep seasons. Too much time to drag poo poo out.

I honestly think that's one of the things that makes the 100 so good. By having shortened seasons (first is 13 eps, second is 16) it keeps bullshit away because there just isn't time for it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Echoing everyone's love of The 100. The change from early 100 to what the show is currently up to is intense. I think there's only like 2-3 characters who have character arcs I found boring, everyone else, even if they start off boring, eventually finds a plotline that's interesting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Reign is just the weirdest idea for a show to me, because I know in broad strokes how Mary's life goes, and to say it ends poorly is an understatement. Though the show will probably get cancelled long before her ouster from the Scottish throne.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Krysten Ritter says she will be filming Jessica Jones season two and The Defenders back to back. So it looks like we'll have Luke Cage, then Iron Fist, then JJ S2, then The Defenders. And maybe Punisher in there somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Krysten Ritter says she will be filming Jessica Jones season two and The Defenders back to back. So it looks like we'll have Luke Cage, then Iron Fist, then JJ S2, then The Defenders. And maybe Punisher in there somewhere.

I vaguely recall Charlie Cox saying after he films Defenders he expects to jump right into DD season 3 as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wouldn't be the worst thing to have 4 shows a year instead of 2. I'd be down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Flash last night seemed to try fix some of the problems this season has been plagued with (ie mopey idiot Barry) and it was a nice twist (as far as I know it) on the speed force. I didn't really get a screen capture or anything, but did anyone recognise any of the villains at the end of the episode?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

Flash last night seemed to try fix some of the problems this season has been plagued with (ie mopey idiot Barry) and it was a nice twist (as far as I know it) on the speed force. I didn't really get a screen capture or anything, but did anyone recognise any of the villains at the end of the episode?

I like to think they're all slightly modified other DC villains,

There's the Quizzer, and the Laughster, Felinefemale, The Gull, Ghoulash, Cold Guy, Dark Finger, Evilestro, and everyone's favorite, Daytimer Dude.

Actually come ot think of it, Ghoulash would actually be a good name for a zombie hulk like villain.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 12, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, those look horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On Earth 2 it would appear that every metahuman is a hipster piece of poo poo.