Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It seems like every tournament I gently caress up an extended perfect character through some sort of idiocy. A gargoyle dying to death curses in Tomb, an ogre killing Cerebov and leaving the rune, a formicid getting the iron rune first and then dying to an easy pack of enemies 300 turns later in Depths, and now a demonspawn drowning because I lagged through the 2 turn warning of Hell cancelling my flight. I'm now wondering how bad I can gently caress up next tournament (or if I've still got more in me for this one)!

On a side note, I was reading a Tavern thread and chuckled at the name Captain Tedium, so now I'm trying to think of Justice League/Avengers puns for HOM clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Do undead not time out on other floors? My ogre skeleton fell down a shaft, and was still there when I caught up to him 3 floors later. There's a HOM strategy for you.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Started as a HuAs, stopped training stealth and short blades when I dropped the trident. Then I got boots of the Assassin and picked up the Ring of Shadows and now it's looking like I may actually play a successful stabber.

If I drop Cloak of the Thief, is that like the Dungeon Crawl deathly hallows and I can never die? :D

code:
Thalamas the Warrior (Human Assassin)              Turns: 40825, Time: 02:58:57

Health: 155/155    AC: 28    Str: 23    XL:     19   Next: 36%
Magic:  24/24      EV: 16    Int: 18    God:    Gozag
Gold:   36         SH: 14    Dex: 17    Spells: 0 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    I - +8 trident of the Octopus King {venom, rElec rPois MR+}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    P - +8 ice dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    F - +0 shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    z - +0 hat {SInv}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    d - +0 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    c - +0 pair of gloves of the Storm King {-Tele rF++ Int+2}
SustAt .          Harm     .    E - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {DetectMon Stab+ Stlth++}
MR     ++...      NoTele   +    a - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  ++++++....               K - ring of Shadows {Umbra +Inv rN+ SInv}
                                e - ring "Jen Baaz" {Fragile +Blink rElec rN++ Str+6 Int+4}

@: wreathed by umbra, very resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: no striking features
a: Potion Petition, Call Merchant, Bribe Branch, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink,
Evoke Invisibility

You have visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and seen 28 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer, Bailey and Volcano.

You have collected 11591 gold pieces.
You have spent 6053 gold pieces at shops.
You have paid 5502 gold pieces to Gozag.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Thalamas/Thalamas.txt

Why is it that dancing weapons in Elf don't leave a weapon and turn into piles of gold when you worship Gozag? That just seems weird.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What's the RC file line to warn you of Necromut ending?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Speaking of lajatangs, I just got a lajatang of speed before lair, and then two wands of hasting on lair 1 :flashfap:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Stoat posted:

What's the RC file line to warn you of Necromut ending?

I don't know if it's actually possible to specifically apply it only to Necromutation so this is just the general warning for all transformations expiring soon.

force_more_message += Your transformation is almost over

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also this character is a demonspawn with powered by death and GDA and +5 slaying.

current status:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU&t=53s

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lmao

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hildebrand's ghost has gotten one kill on V:5 already. :)

Found this sweet Lajatang: the +11 lajatang "Kileam" {slice, +Fly Str+4}

I'm using a demon whip of pain (found early, and then pained up by kiku) on my DsMo with a shield, so unfortunately I can't use that as a swap weapon. Seems like it'd be pretty good against rN enemies though.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
I don't think I had seen the Swamp entrance with four giant leeches. Also, fighting leeches with a vampiric weapon is asinine. That took too long.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I've never had such an easy time on V:5. Statue Form, Ring of Fire, Augmentation, regen lots of health on kills, warlock mirror, Deflect Missiles, Chei's abilities... now I'm working on getting my skills high enough for Fire Storm and Tornado. Can't find Necromutation but I think I won't have too tough of a time in the Tomb.

This is a character to go for a ridiculous high score with, right?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thalamas posted:

Why is it that dancing weapons in Elf don't leave a weapon and turn into piles of gold when you worship Gozag? That just seems weird.

it's not that weird when you realize that the weapon you'd get is actually a corpse, and obviously gozag turns all corpses into :10bux:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
by extension, using a former dancing weapon counts as hitting people with a corpse

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

You have a drat good shot at extended, yeah. Look around for an akashic record and get yourself controlled blink. I wouldn't say you NEED lichform to do Tomb, just make sure you have rN+++ while in statue form before you try it. Try to clear Slime before you do Tomb because Slime is generally easier and you get a few chances at the books you need.

Just be wary about tedium if you try extended without massive kill spells, especially with Chei.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Akett posted:

You have a drat good shot at extended, yeah. Look around for an akashic record and get yourself controlled blink. I wouldn't say you NEED lichform to do Tomb, just make sure you have rN+++ while in statue form before you try it. Try to clear Slime before you do Tomb because Slime is generally easier and you get a few chances at the books you need.

Just be wary about tedium if you try extended without massive kill spells, especially with Chei.

Got necromut, cleared slimes, Abyss, and working on Pandemonium now. Can't find controlled blink, and a few curemut potions would be nice, but otherwise nothing puts a dent in me.

I've never done more than a few Zig levels... maybe before I ascend I'll dip my toes in? So risky but so many points.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

jerkstoresup posted:

I've never had such an easy time on V:5. Statue Form, Ring of Fire, Augmentation, regen lots of health on kills, warlock mirror, Deflect Missiles, Chei's abilities... now I'm working on getting my skills high enough for Fire Storm and Tornado. Can't find Necromutation but I think I won't have too tough of a time in the Tomb.

The guy who was painting the minimap with experience potions he got from too many zig clears had powered by death and augmentation, though he had nightstalker too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nightstalker is merely icing on the cake when compared to those other two when consequ-zigging.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
a - the +10 longbow of the Wasteland (weapon) {freeze, Fragile rF+++ MR++}.

Well, since I am playing a centaur hunter who uses bows I guess I didn't really want to ever swap weapons again as it is?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
All this and I'm still chumping Panlords. :boom:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

All this and I'm still chumping Panlords. :boom:

How are you still alive :stare:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I had a similar amount of mutations, due to this situation(plus the rest of pan)

Worked out though. You think I won't kill you just 'cause I'm a porcupine? You think I'm not mad as hell? :black101:

thanks passive freeze

dove thru like half a zig to get curemut after pan

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Anyone else having issues connecting to crawl.akrasiac.org? I haven't been able to load the lobby, never mind resuming my game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Just checked, my connection is sound and stable. Might be some node along the way from you to it.

In other news, getting to use Orb of Destruction while in Lair without worrying about hunger is a wonderful, wonderful thing. I'm painting the levels red!

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2016

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
First time using Pakellas, playing a KoMo stabber. What'd be a good wand to supercharge?

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
+6 longbow of Precise Incision {velocity, Fragile rC+ Str+3 Stlth+}

Wield-ID'd this thing after buying it on D12, subsequently murdered the entirety of Orc. However, I'm a GrMo^Trog and unless I'm reading learndb wrong, you can't fire missiles while zerking. When would it be a good idea to break this thing and go back to punching? About to go to Swamp, and my other options are a +4 flaming shortbow, +2 triple crossbow of velocity, and a mystery artifact longbow that I don't have the ID scrolls for right now. Morgue is here if skilling matters.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pomale posted:

First time using Pakellas, playing a KoMo stabber. What'd be a good wand to supercharge?

An iron rod or I dunno, shadows is good, right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Supercharging a rod takes it to 18MP, so I tend to only supercharge level 6 rods. Shadows is a level 5, so you can get 3 evokes with normal recharge scrolls.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pomale posted:

It's almost always better to supercharge a rod, and Pakellas will always gift one to you.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Doing Hell for the first time ever, nearly died at several points in Cocytus 7. That was terrifying. I'm mutated to hell and back, but I only have Tartarus, Zot 5, and the orb run left.

Pro tip: Potions of resistance are really loving great, don't forget you have them until you've brushed with death sufficiently, like me.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Just checked, my connection is sound and stable. Might be some node along the way from you to it.

In other news, getting to use Orb of Destruction while in Lair without worrying about hunger is a wonderful, wonderful thing. I'm painting the levels red!

:agreed:

my GrEE went vehumet and then found a staff of energy, book of power and book of annihilations

well ok then, I've never ascended a caster before (or even gotten a rune with one) but i've got nobody to blame but myself if i gently caress this up

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pinechild posted:

+6 longbow of Precise Incision {velocity, Fragile rC+ Str+3 Stlth+}

Wield-ID'd this thing after buying it on D12, subsequently murdered the entirety of Orc. However, I'm a GrMo^Trog and unless I'm reading learndb wrong, you can't fire missiles while zerking. When would it be a good idea to break this thing and go back to punching? About to go to Swamp, and my other options are a +4 flaming shortbow, +2 triple crossbow of velocity, and a mystery artifact longbow that I don't have the ID scrolls for right now. Morgue is here if skilling matters.

I'd wield-id that longbow once you do break your current one, so you can get a better comparison between that and the triple crossbow (since you decided to skill that one as well!). As for the best time to do so, uh, I guess when you have to break out your guns and go berserk.

Makes for a nice mental image too. Stone cold gaze while you shatter your bow on the ground, clench your fists and explode in anger at your oncoming foe.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Pomale posted:

Heal Wounds, or Acid. But really, you should supercharge a rod. Iron is my go to.

Also congratulations bitcoinbastard on another victory in our team. I'm going to get one I hope.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Heal Wounds, or Acid. But really, you should supercharge a rod. Iron is my go to.

Also congratulations bitcoinbastard on another victory in our team. I'm going to get one I hope.

Did it with a DDFi of Pakellas, ended up getting 3x Heal Wands by the end of the game which came in handy because Z:5 had permanent teleporters in the entryway chokepoints so I had to blind tele into a crowd of Ancient Liches and Orbs of Fire, then blink scroll myself onto the rune, then wand teleport myself somewhere outside the orb chamber (took 3 or 4 tries), healing myself in between running away the whole time.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Augh, why am I being so bad this tournament. Just wasted another easy victory character.

I think I am going to have to take a day or two break till I get my head back in the game.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
I finally overcame adversity, announcing the first win for out clan!

OgMo^Gozag

God choice was out of necessity, as I blew a 2 rune OgMo^Trog in V:5 and realised I am too weak to get my ogres safely through V:5 (and, by extension, Z:5). There's nothing that gold wouldn't buy you... so bribed V:5 three times on the next one that stuck. That was slightly overbuying matters, got out with $5000 still in the system. The bribe was very helpful, though.
The first or second merchant provided +2 shadow dragon armour of the Vacuum (worn) {+Fly rF+ Regen+ Stlth++++} which I wore till the end. Some AC on an ogre (around 25 most of the game) is very helpful.
Despite all the complaints in here, throwing is still strong. I was very happy to have the cyclops orc ending and also Shoals, that gave me lots of pieces to throw. Skilled Throwing to 8 pretty early, 12 after Lair, and finished with 20. Silver javelins were enough to do orbs of fire, but when I noted that my Zot:5 has *two* hostile statues in the safe wing (the other one was double-guarded by teleportation + Zot trap), I bribed twice, which trivialised matters.

Fun Gozag captcha: that trove was asking for a +3 gold dragon armour, of all things. (A wish a Gozag worshiper can never satisfy.) Double irony: the shopping spree with the orb coughed up Dragon King armour :)

Honorary mention: my first tournament character, a OgVM^Kikubaaqudgha, happily bashing letters with the GSC of pain, met its doom on Lair:8 because I acted like a teenage girl (well, your or my children would definitely be smarter than me): labyrinth announced, I map the level, see where it is (not far away), make a beeline for it, get killed by a wolf.

I wanted to apologise for fatfingering on one starting screen -- obviously I quit that Draconian right when I noted the typo. But then I saw that some of us have, ahem, left the path of racial purity. Where will it end? IT IS NOT OGRE YET!!

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Is there a good way to utilize the sceptre of torment on a ghoul? I already have my unarmed all the way up and am doing fine, but I've never managed to use it and was wondering if there's a way to proc it easily without investing a bunch of points or is it another evocations and staves kind of thing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

Is there a good way to utilize the sceptre of torment on a ghoul? I already have my unarmed all the way up and am doing fine, but I've never managed to use it and was wondering if there's a way to proc it easily without investing a bunch of points or is it another evocations and staves kind of thing.

It goes off on 50% of all attacks and a 1/200 chance every turn otherwise (while wielded, of course), no evocations investment required.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Floodkiller posted:

It goes off on 50% of all attacks and a 1/200 chance every turn otherwise (while wielded, of course), no evocations investment required.

Awesome thanks... I think I can put that to use.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Won a (yellow) DrTm of Chei. Once you get statue form it is like a whole other game. Everything just dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

quote:

You have visited 3 ziggurats (completing 2), and seen 74 of their levels.

This gets a really high score right? I can keep doing this for days, and would keep going if I didn't have to sleep, go outside, work and stuff. :dukedog:

http://pastebin.com/raw/VVieDr1K

i'll never have a character this good again

• Locked thread