Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

my bony fealty posted:

Well that would be some pretty weird aging since Howland Reed would be like 40 and the High Sparrow looks to be, uh, much older than 40

I'd agree but the guy who played young Howland looked to be a few years older than young Ned and Jonathan Pryce is only like ten years older than Sean Bean IRL and I'm just hoping my pet theory is true. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I extremely want the Sparrow to be Howland Reed, but there's like no way it actually is the case. It's like varys being a merman.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

whatever7 posted:

I don't think we will get pregger Lyanna next week. They still have to flash back to Lyanna running off with prince Targ first. We might not find out Jon's secret until e5, e6.

It's Ep5.

quote:

Synopsis: Tyrion seeks a strange ally. Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) learns a great deal. Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) goes on a mission. Arya (Maisie Williams) is given a chance to prove herself.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
So in the books didn't Smalljon die? And the Greatjon lived? Albeit taken captive?

Regardless, in the TV show, how could any Umbar side with a Frey/Bolton after such treachery?

Is this D&D loving up again? Or a trick on the part of the Umbars? Are they going to play the role of Manderly in the book?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

hemophilia posted:

I extremely want the Sparrow to be Howland Reed, but there's like no way it actually is the case. It's like varys being a merman.

I've never read the books but this one 3 minute youtube video I saw convinced me Varys is indeed a merman

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm now convinced they'll drag out the tower of joy reveal for another two seasons or so. That was a pretty poo poo troll especially when it looked like Bran was going to just go see, treeman be damned.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, it's really lazy characterization to make minor villains into paedophiles just to emphasize that they are Naughty Men Who Are Up To No Good. First Meryn Trant, now the Karstark heir.

I rather liked Tommen echoing Joffrey's "I AM THE KING!!!11!" outburst in his conversation with the high sparrow.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, it's really lazy characterization to make minor villains into paedophiles just to emphasize that they are Naughty Men Who Are Up To No Good. First Meryn Trant, now the Karstark heir.

Makes me think the Umbar is actually on the Stark's side now. The way he called out Karstark as a pedo must mean he is a good guy!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LemonDrizzle posted:

First Meryn Trant, now the Karstark heir.

The Karstark seemed pretty pissed he said that, I think it was just a joke.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Rarrgh posted:

Is this D&D loving up again? Or a trick on the part of the Umbars? Are they going to play the role of Manderly in the book?
I think, if you look at photos from the final battle, the Umbers are split. Half with Ramsay, half with Sansa/Jon. I'll think that the rest of the season will be spent discovering which houses are on the Stark side.

I'm seeing a lot of people say that Sansa will be getting to Castle Black next episode. Am I the only one who thinks it's still too early for her and Jon to meet? Maybe she'll arrive at the Last Hearth and some other Umber will play the role of the 'fat lord who changes his allegiance in a dramatic turn of events'?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

His death can't come soon enough. No ill will to the actor, but the character is just a bore.

I think the actor is doing a great job with really poor material/lack of character depth or development, Ramsey was a pretty good character in Season 3 and just never went anywhere interesting from there.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'd agree but the guy who played young Howland looked to be a few years older than young Ned and Jonathan Pryce is only like ten years older than Sean Bean IRL and I'm just hoping my pet theory is true. :negative:

It would be really great if at least one one of the crazy out there theories ended up being true. I don't care which one - Reed is the High Sparrow, GoT is crypto-scifi, Tyrion is a Targ, whatever. The absolute best possibility being that Varys is a merman who wants the dragons to melt the wall and usher in a global flood, of course.

Preston Jacobs always makes me a bit sad though, I feel like he could spend all that time analyzing fiction that actually, definitively has hidden depth and puzzles and the like rather than trying to piece together some grand unified theory of GRRM.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

LemonDrizzle posted:

Well, its not like gay people have been confused for paedophiles in popular opinion before, they could just be having a laugh at him. But so far into the series im not kidding anyone, obviously its gonna get rapey.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Cersei is totally having Kevan killed. Maybe the show is so blunt now the scene will just be zombie mountain standing over a sleeping Kevan annnnd crunch.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I had never heard the "Varys is a merman" thing before and I love the fact that it's an actual crazy theory some people have. Something stupid like that should definitely end up being true, why not at this point.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Do you think present day Howland Reed (not the High Sparrow) could have a part this season? He can reveal Jon's parentage, rally other houses to his side and betray the Boltons/Freys since he's been characterised as a sneaky Stark loyalist. Maybe some more people in Winterfell will be "poisoned by their enemies." Seems like all the other Northern lords are awful, awful people with the possible exception of Manderly who might only have a very minor role and that's miserable.

Is there any chance that Osha escapes a painful death? She's not even an interesting character but it's tedious.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 9, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Tyrion threatens to throw him off a boat, and he says that that's unlikely to kill him or he's a pretty good swimmer despite how he looks. Ergo he is a merman.

That's it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Narmi posted:

Tyrion threatens to throw him off a boat, and he says that that's unlikely to kill him or he's a pretty good swimmer despite how he looks. Ergo he is a merman.

That's it.

It gets even more ridiculous though. http://www.tinfoilfantheories.com/2015/03/game-of-thrones-varys-is-merman_22.html

I can't believe what some people will come up with. Maybe they should use some of that time to read or watch something else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I feel like Arya's "four brothers... three brothers and a half brother" line may be revisited at some point.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I feel like Arya's "four brothers... three brothers and a half brother" line may be revisited at some point.

Why? It's just an excuse for the waif to slap her with the stick again.

E: VVV drat you, I corrected so quickly! :argh:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 9, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't see why it would be revisited, but it's actually not true assuming the reveal is what we think it is, he'd be her cousin.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

GoT is crypto-scifi

Tyrion Targ is pointless and a lot of Preston's stuff is utterly insane homeless guy with a corkboard nonsense but I absolutely believe this is possible, whether as a bombastic mindfucker ending or as a thing with sly little clues that readers will be able to piece with no real impact on the actual plot

I kind of hope it's the former and that the show ends with Bran heading for Alpha Centauri on a goddamn starship, because the combined outrage from viewers who think it's the hokiest poo poo possible and readers who are absolutely livid that the show spoiled that twist would be one of the most amazing things in internet history to witness

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Rarrgh posted:

Regardless, in the TV show, how could any Umbar side with a Frey/Bolton after such treachery?

Bad writing.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Young Ned Start looked like Neil Patrick Harris doing a bit from How I Met Your Mother

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Tyrion Targ is pointless and a lot of Preston's stuff is utterly insane homeless guy with a corkboard nonsense but I absolutely believe this is possible, whether as a bombastic mindfucker ending or as a thing with sly little clues that readers will be able to piece with no real impact on the actual plot

I kind of hope it's the former and that the show ends with Bran heading for Alpha Centauri on a goddamn starship, because the combined outrage from viewers who think it's the hokiest poo poo possible and readers who are absolutely livid that the show spoiled that twist would be one of the most amazing things in internet history to witness

I hope it turns out to be true and GRRM didn't plan it initially but said gently caress it after ASoS and made it sci-fi. The Others are aliens from Iceoros and built the wall as part of a terraforming project, idk there's plenty of fun directions to take it in. 'Magic' is returning to the world cuz their mothership is coming back to colonize the rest of the planet after thousands of years, activating dormant technology. Would even be a good way to tie up some interesting conflicts, like the maesters' secret plan to destroy magic through science is actually just retarding future science they don't understand.

If they can have a time traveling tree internet, why not!?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The episode was pretty.. meh.

I wanst nearly as hyped for the ToJ scene as most here and still I found it disappointing.

Everything else was either stupid or not very interesting.

Next episode the seven gods thenselves are are going to materialize at Winterfell and bow to Ramsay. The old gods he will capture and turn into an army of reek-gods

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Rarrgh posted:

So in the books didn't Smalljon die? And the Greatjon lived? Albeit taken captive?

Yeah, Greatjon is a captive of the Freys and Smalljon dies defending Robb.

It's likely that the Umbers are plotting something because the alternative is just really, really bad writing. The two universal rules that everyone follows are that kinslayers are damned by the gods (Robb and Karstark) and guest right is a sacred, inviolable right, and anyone who breaks it is cursed (Rat Cook style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWFeamtjHJE&t=50s).

We've seen Ramsay break the first when he murdered Roose and his baby brother, now Umber is turning over his guests to a sadist, breaking the second. If this isn't some secret plot to betray Ramsay when he least expects it, or that Umber just ensured his own doom, then the writers are ignoring their own rules.

e: Though we have yet to see any of the Freys punished, likely that will happen at some point, probably the feast where Walder was in the trailer (hopefully).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 9, 2016

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

The episode was pretty.. meh.

That's how I've felt about this season so far. These episodes haven't been particularly bad, they're just kind of bland. And that sucks because a lot of cool poo poo has happened so far.

Like Roose's death should have been this major "gently caress YEAH" cathartic moment and it...just...sort of happened. And this was a guy that killed a beloved major character and played a part in one of the most shocking and heartbreaking events in the series.

Then theres Doran, Trystane, I didn't even care for the hangings last night either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yudo posted:

i wish they would stick to a plot an episode instead of jumping around. rip the lovely band aid off and then let us enjoy the worthwhile stuff undistracted.

yup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kajeesus posted:

She was being goaded into adding the Waif to Arya's list, which would admit that she still thinks of herself as Arya. It's the first actually subtle thing they've done in any of Arya's scenes.

I kinda got that too, but at the same time wasn't Merryn Trant on her list and didn't she leave him off? I also think the Waif was just trying to get Arya to admit that a week ago she was still killing people off her list as Arya. That's kinda a big sign she hasn't fully let go yet.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
I know there are a lot of maps of the book's world, but are there any maps for the show's world that illustrate how Theon can walk into the frozen wilderness of the North one episode and show up in Pike two episodes later?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jagermonster posted:

I know there are a lot of maps of the book's world, but are there any maps for the show's world that illustrate how Theon can walk into the frozen wilderness of the North one episode and show up in Pike two episodes later?

A wizard did it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda got that too, but at the same time wasn't Merryn Trant on her list and didn't she leave him off? I also think the Waif was just trying to get Arya to admit that a week ago she was still killing people off her list as Arya. That's kinda a big sign she hasn't fully let go yet.

She killed Trant last season. Her list was only people still alive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerkface posted:

She killed Trant last season. Her list was only people still alive.

Yeah but last season for her was like a week ago like I said. She included The Hound but he's potentially dead (even if we know better) and how does she know Tywin and others are dead? I guess news has reached Braavos.

Jagermonster posted:

Steals a horse? Not too crazy.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zaphod42 posted:

The horse would have to walk on water since Pyke is an island. Going by the map of Westeros, he'd have to hike to Torrhen's Square or Barrowton and then either steal a boat or sign on as a crewmember. He's ironborn, so he presumably knows how to handle a boat.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but last season for her was like a week ago like I said. She included The Hound but he's potentially dead (even if we know better) and how does she know Tywin and others are dead? I guess news has reached Braavos.

He had a horse, he asked to take one didint he?

He just have to ride to the coast and get a ticket in one of those Westeros speed boats everyone uses, is not that absurd (not sand snakes levels of absurdity at elast)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Jagermonster posted:

yes, it's called "A Westerosi Guide to Autism"

guh,,,d&d, i wish we would have had 6 episodes of theon riding horseback/taking a boat to pike..smdh

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The best thing about the Varys is a Merman theory is no one ever really engages in how he gets around. They just say 'His robe hides his tail, we never see his feet!' But like, is he balancing on his tail the whole time like a loving sea lion? Does he have an enormous version of one of those wheeled baby walkers that he uses to scoot around, complete with a secret set of freight elevators hidden around King's Landing so he can avoid stairs? Does he get his army of children to push him around in a shopping cart and prop him up wherever he needs to be seen? I sincerely hope so.

my bony fealty posted:

I hope it turns out to be true and GRRM didn't plan it initially but said gently caress it after ASoS and made it sci-fi. The Others are aliens from Iceoros and built the wall as part of a terraforming project, idk there's plenty of fun directions to take it in. 'Magic' is returning to the world cuz their mothership is coming back to colonize the rest of the planet after thousands of years, activating dormant technology. Would even be a good way to tie up some interesting conflicts, like the maesters' secret plan to destroy magic through science is actually just retarding future science they don't understand.

If they can have a time traveling tree internet, why not!?

If it turns out to be true, GRRM will still be only the second person to write a dragon fantasy series that turns out to be scifi all along.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

He had a horse, he asked to take one didint he?

He just have to ride to the coast and get a ticket in one of those Westeros speed boats everyone uses, is not that absurd (not sand snakes levels of absurdity at elast)

Yeah I forgot, he explicitly asked Sansa if he could have one. So he just speeds to the nearest port and then says "gently caress you I'm a greyjoy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
As much as I usually hate the dumb zinger lines at the end of every scene, "my watch is ended" was great and made me go awwww yeaahhh inside

• Locked thread