Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

PittTheElder posted:

But then where would you get all your astronauts?

And Presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think we all know the answer that question is Kansas

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Blistex posted:

Really hoping this guy doesn't get in a heap of poo poo. That was a legit awesome pre-flight.

I like it because he talks exactly like one of the Trailer Park Boys.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Chinese rap recruitment video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdOnDSPZ_Q

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

How is the PLA so far behind even K-Pop rap? poo poo is getting embarrassing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The random F-16 was odd.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Saif Al-Sham brigade captures a tank from the Syrian army and is using it to pound ISIS. An ISIS ATGM somehow skips off of it without detonating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68s-QtYNnNw

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Looks more like a glancing blow from a HEAT round.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

From everything I've heard, Ekranoplans are noisy as gently caress, so I'm thinking all Taiwan would have to do is drop modified sonobouys with microphones on them in the international waters parts of the Strait of Taiwan during heightened states of alert and they'd have plenty of early warning - to say nothing of the fact that it'd be impossible to secretly launch them from the Chinese mainland in the first place, unless they'd base them at their new islands.

Maybe this acquisition is because of those new islands?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kesper North posted:

Maybe this acquisition is because of those new islands?

This was my thought, but I don't know enough about them to decide if they'd be efficient enough to keep the islands supplied.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Godholio posted:

This was my thought, but I don't know enough about them to decide if they'd be efficient enough to keep the islands supplied.

I think the problem is that they only work in very calm waters, i.e. the Black sea or the Great lakes. Hence no Soviet Ekranoplane assault across the Baltic in the near future.

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
:byodood: AIRPLANES!! :byodood:
[xposted from the Aeronautical Insanity thread]

:siren: Visited Museum of Flight in Seattle for the first time! :siren:
Sorry for the mediocre quality, I haven't got a very good camera, but I thought I could share at least.

I literally got off the bus, took two steps forward, pulled out my phone, and took this picture. It was an exciting way to get things started!

Hangar photography problems - During the daytime, it's really tough to get a legible shot when your only fine tuning is limited to changing focus and exposure by sliding an icon around on your screen. Nevertheless, I like this one, because it sorta looks like they're flying in an endless void instead of sitting in a museum :3:

That's a little better... This was taken about 10 minutes before closing time on one of their "free" evenings, so it's about as dark a shot of the hangar as I could get!

And here we can see the little-known variant of the F-5 equipped with tiny, spatted landing gear.

I really underestimated the size of this place, and I arrived late thanks to public transit delays, so there are entire wings of exhibits I didn't get to see. Looking forward to going back next month!

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
It's a pretty amazing place, randomly went there while visiting a friend last summer and got to see the Blue Angels practice for Seafair, had no idea they were performing that day. :eyepop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The blue Angels will forever be those jerks that ruined nap time for me all six months I was trapped in Pensacola.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I like it because he talks exactly like one of the Trailer Park Boys.

Fort McMurray, the Canadian forces and the cast of Trailer Park Boys are approx 110% east coasters. Hence them all sounding the same.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the problem is that they only work in very calm waters, i.e. the Black sea or the Great lakes. Hence no Soviet Ekranoplane assault across the Baltic in the near future.

Hell, even in the Great Lakes it isn't unheard of to get 35 foot waves. Is there some huge advantage of an Ekranoplane vs a similarly sized cargo plane with full wings to offset the lack of ground effect? You know, in case you wanted the option of flying higher than just above the water.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I agree that this thing sounds useless, unless there has been some massive improvement in "wavetop" terrain following radar thanks to advances in computing or whatever handwavery you wish to apply.

That said, every self-respecting billionaire should own one, because they are awesome.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

This is a fascinating read. Though makes me wonder if people were suspicious of me when I was living in Russia.

I used to work with a guy who had been stationed at the US Embassy in Moscow in the early 80's. Man that guy had some good stories.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seattle Museum of Flight is awesome and well worth the visit. Lots of nice spaceflight stuff there too. There's a very nicely filled out WW2 and WW1 era wings in addition to the main area photographed above. Lots of more current stuff on static display outside also.

I managed to go one day and a Super Guppy was landing on the neighboring airstrip so got to watch that as well which was very good luck.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Who's been to Udvar-Hazy? Been thinking about taking the kids one of these days. I've been to the regular Air and Space Museum countless times, but I've heard this is much bigger. Is this an all day affair?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

Who's been to Udvar-Hazy? Been thinking about taking the kids one of these days. I've been to the regular Air and Space Museum countless times, but I've heard this is much bigger. Is this an all day affair?

I would set aside a whole day for it. The main hangar alone is about as big as Air & Space. Then there's a whole rocketry and spaceflight wing which is nearly the same size, plus the control tower. I think there may have been a simulator or two for the kids, as well.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Dark Helmut posted:

There's a lot to see - plan a day!

One of the most disturbing things I saw was all the Japanese tourists taking selfies with the Enola Gay.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nothing wrong with wanting a pic with one of the founding fathers of your democracy

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nothing wrong with wanting a pic with one of the founding fathers of your democracy

holy gently caress

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Cyrano4747 posted:

:megadeath:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

:thurman:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

:chord:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

:thurman:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cyrano4747 posted:

:perfect:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

post of the year 2016 candidate

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA

Cyrano4747 posted:

:pusheen:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Close the thread, it's all downhill from here. :drat:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

:vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goldmine

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cyrano4747 posted:

:iceburn:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cyrano4747 posted:

:smugdon:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cyrano4747 posted:

:boom:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

Founding mother. :colbert:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

:staredog: :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sperglord Actual posted:

Founding mother. :colbert:

Yeah, every democracy needs a mommy and a daddy

Bockscar would be the daddy of course