Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think we just wrote half the script for Not Spider-Man: A XXX Parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Is the Rogue Cut of DoFP worth watching? I want to see the film again before Apocalypse comes out and only have time to watch one version.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Canonically speaking Aunt May's Peter Parker's mom, not his aunt.

:getin:

We don't talk about Trouble around here, son. :spits some chaw and the ground:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lamont posted:

Is the Rogue Cut of DoFP worth watching? I want to see the film again before Apocalypse comes out and only have time to watch one version.

It doesn't really change a ton, but I'd watch that version if you have a choice between the two and haven't seen the Rogue version.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 9, 2016

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What was the in story reason for Pepper not being in CW? I somehow didn't catch it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're split up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

What was the in story reason for Pepper not being in CW? I somehow didn't catch it

Tony kept going back to his Iron Man suits despite promising he wouldn't and she had enough. It's basically "Tony's an alcoholic" but with Iron Man in place of actual alcohol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Attention super hero's girl and boyfriends: They are never going to pick you over the suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Attention super hero's girl and boyfriends: They are never going to pick you over the suit.

Cap clearly chose Bucky over the suit. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ImpAtom posted:

Obviously the only path to a stable relationship is Ant-Man style husband and wife matching suits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Sebastian Stan is far too cool looking!

It's funny to me that the most grounded, realistic superhero movie villain yet is based on a guy who permanently glued an oversized purple stocking cap to his head.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omg chael crash posted:

She went to hang out with Natalie Portman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

That and Paltrow saying no more Pepper unless she's promoted to a hero and not just a love interest. Which I can't see them doing outside an Iron Man 4.

Maybe more to the point, the world isn't going to let Tony especially pick Pepper over the suit. He's tried that two or three times now and poo poo keeps happening that demands Iron Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They do have a solution there in the form of Rescue if they actually wanted to.

Cythereal posted:

Maybe more to the point, the world isn't going to let Tony especially pick Pepper over the suit. He's tried that two or three times now and poo poo keeps happening that demands Iron Man.

Honestly has anything happened since Iron Man 3 that actually required Iron Man and wasn't caused by Tony?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

speaking of love interests. It's pretty crazy that Mary Jane has only appeared in half of Spider-man's cinematic outings so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing is more dangerous in any Marvel continuity than a guilty Tony Stark trying to make amends.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

So this made me think a little, regarding situations that would "demand" Iron Man or Cap or whoever.

It's like what Spiderman says: now that he has the power to save people, anytime he doesn't its his fault.
But to me this is like saying: man this fresh drinking water is life-saving, all those people in Africa that died from not having any is my fault!

Or am I misinterpreting what he is saying and he actually means what Vision said early on in the film " Because I have these powers and I'm spiderman now, criminals want to challenge/fight me so its indirectly my fault that they are here to begin with?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly has anything happened in the Marvel Universe that actually required Iron Man and wasn't caused by Tony?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rurea posted:

So this made me think a little, regarding situations that would "demand" Iron Man or Cap or whoever.

It's like what Spiderman says: now that he has the power to save people, anytime he doesn't its his fault.
But to me this is like saying: man this fresh drinking water is life-saving, all those people in Africa that died from not having any is my fault!

Or am I misinterpreting what he is saying and he actually means what Vision said early on in the film " Because I have these powers and I'm spiderman now, criminals want to challenge/fight me so its indirectly my fault that they are here to begin with?"

He was just saying "with great power comes great responsibility" without actually saying it for the 100th time.

I have a more broad question. When Tony Stark went to the floating prison known as the Raft, did anyone catch any easter eggs or nods? I figure they'd throw something in there as a little wink wink nudge, but I didn't catch anything. Then again, I was 4 rows away from a 3D IMAX showing and I couldn't see much clearly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rurea posted:

That logic only carries forward if you're routinely walking around in Africa with a two-gallon drum of filtered water over your shoulder. It's as much about opportunity as it is access/capability.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rurea posted:

It's the Superman zone of influence thing

There is a "zone" that every person has where they can have a direct influence on those around them. For instance using your water analogy. It would be like if you were walking around with your plentiful amounts drinking water and ran into someone who was thirsty and didn't have water and just needed some of yours to make it and survive.

It's literally Spider-man's Origin story. He didn't stop a bad guy and Uncle Ben died because of it. So now if Peter sees something that he could do to help he won't hesitate to do it. Because if he didn't the consequences are on him.

(Superman's zone of influence is entire galaxies lol)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man, gently caress Gwyneth Paltrow. Pepper Potts is absolutely not needed as a character.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dexo posted:

It's the Superman zone of influence thing

There is a "zone" that every person has where they can have a direct influence on those around them. For instance using your water analogy. It would be like if you were walking around with your plentiful amounts drinking water and ran into someone who was thirsty and didn't have water and just needed some of yours to make it and survive.

It's literally Spider-man's Origin story. He didn't stop a bad guy and Uncle Ben died because of it. So now if Peter sees something that he could do to help he won't hesitate to do it. Because if he didn't the consequences are on him.

(Superman's zone of influence is entire galaxies lol)

Okay so the water analogy doesnt really work I guess.

I guess its more like, if you are a mandated reporter and see signs of a child being abused and do nothing about it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The whole point of that line is the logic that states how Kevin Costner literally advocating that Superman kill kids in Man of Steel is morally reprehensible.

If you have the capability, and the ability, to safely save a life without endangering your own and decide not to, your inaction means that those deaths become your responsibility. This isn't even a theoretical case: Good Samaritan laws are passed to compel those who can save lives to do so without fear of liability or prosecution out of that same implicit moral understanding, and duty to rescue has become de facto prosecuted, seeing total idiots like homeopath parents charged with crimes for failure to act in the safety of their children.

In a world where superheroes exist they have the obligation to save lives, not just the imperative to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So is Jonathan Kent Jerry, or George?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, gently caress Gwyneth Paltrow. Pepper Potts is absolutely not needed as a character.

lol, you mean good for her because she doesn't need to play second fiddle to RDJ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pepper Potts is entirely needed because Tony Stark needs someone who will call him on his poo poo and who he will listen to. Rhodes kinda-sorta fills that role but doesn't have the same influence on Tony and without that poo poo-called Tony... well, he makes a whole lotta fuckups is what he does.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

Rescue is an awesome concept, Gwyneth Paltrow is a good actress, and the MCU needs more genuine female superheroes anyway. Scarlet Witch is literally the only one that exists so far (Black Widow is as much a genuine superhero as Clint Barton is), and that's embarrassing. Especially considering that the MU has a boatload of awesome female superheroes from which to pick.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

lol, you mean good for her because she doesn't need to play second fiddle to RDJ.

Okay, let's not say dumb things. Everyone in the MCU plays second fiddle to RDJ. He's the foundation upon which this whole universe is built, the same way Spider-Man is the foundation of the MU. If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Uh apparently she agreed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, let's not say dumb things. Everyone in the MCU plays second fiddle to RDJ. He's the foundation upon which this whole universe is built, the same way Spider-Man is the foundation of the MU. If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

It's why Marvel has to be loving relived that Guardians did as well as it did. Because that's like the only movie not involving RDJ to do real numbers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

It's why Marvel has to be loving relived that Guardians did as well as it did. Because that's like the only movie not involving RDJ to do real numbers.

Winter Soldier did really good numbers, the Captain America brand has been built up to the point I would say Chris Evans is a solid (but very far behind, like everybody else) number two to RDJ in terms of being or tied with the superhero that he plays.

RDJ is Tony Stark is Iron Man. You can see that's true because people refer to Tony Stark and Iron Man interchangably, and I would argue that Steve Rogers/Captain America is very near to that level of recognition. Everybody else though, yeah. If you said Peter Quill or Clint Barton or Natasha Romanoff or Richard Barnes, people would be all like "Who?"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Nothing is more dangerous in any Marvel continuity than a guilty Tony Stark trying to make amends.

Surely Reed gives him some competition here?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

If you mean without RDJ the MCU wouldn't have kickstarted I can't disagree, but if you mean the continuation of MCU relies solely on RDJ's presence I'd argue that it is not a good thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's the former, I mean he's currently its main draw but they've already fostered enough talent that the MCU can survive and make a fuckload of money without RDJ. But while he's there, in every movie he's in, he's its most important character. And it's not undeserved when you think about it; I'm confident that RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark will be looked back on as one of the greatest/most appropriate casting choices ever made in the history of movie-making.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Toxxupation posted:

Rescue is an awesome concept, Gwyneth Paltrow is a good actress, and the MCU needs more genuine female superheroes anyway. Scarlet Witch is literally the only one that exists so far (Black Widow is as much a genuine superhero as Clint Barton is), and that's embarrassing. Especially considering that the MU has a boatload of awesome female superheroes from which to pick.

Most of Marvels female heroes' film rights belong to other studios though. Cloak and Dagger is getting a series (I think?) so there's one and She-Hulk is, honestly, probably a bit too hard to shoehorn into the MCU. We're getting a Captain Marvel movie and Marvel half-owns the rights to Spider-Man so we could get that whole crew now but what other big name ladies are there in Marvel that aren't part of the X-Men?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sockser posted:

Most of Marvels female heroes' film rights belong to other studios though. Cloak and Dagger is getting a series (I think?) so there's one and She-Hulk is, honestly, probably a bit too hard to shoehorn into the MCU. We're getting a Captain Marvel movie and Marvel half-owns the rights to Spider-Man so we could get that whole crew now but what other big name ladies are there in Marvel that aren't part of the X-Men?

Angela
Valkyrie
Tigra
Moondragon
Quasar
Crystal
Medusa
Spider-Woman
Silk
Enchantress
Firestar
Spectrum