Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Best people for the job have careers and are employed. Why would they give that up for a shot at power for four years? Only the dumb/ naive would do that.

So you get dumb/naive/underemployed people running for office and somehow it turns in to a career based on nepotism and partisanship with whoever can cheerlead the best rewarded with consistent employment; the others drop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The person who ought to have power is usually not the person who asks for it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Manitoba Liberal party is in such a hole because of her. There's rumours that they took out a half million dollar line of credit to fund their campaign due to the lack of donors and now the party has no money to pay it back.

Also does anyone notice the hypocrisy of calling for the two peoples heads that called the Fort McMurray wildfires karmic? What happened to the free speech and all that other bullshit that people normally spout off about when people post stupid poo poo on social media. The only conclusion I can draw that all Canadians are assholes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Free speech is great but maybe elected officials shouldn't claim that people who lost their homes in a mostly-natural disaster "had it coming" because they helped the Mordor Corporation.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Free speech is great but maybe elected officials shouldn't claim that people who lost their homes in a mostly-natural disaster "had it coming" because they helped the Mordor Corporation. public employees shouldn't yell "gently caress her in the pussy" behind a female reporter on national TV

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're free to say whatever you want but you're not free from the consequences.

How is this hard to grasp?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vintersorg posted:

You're free to say whatever you want but you're not free from the consequences.

How is this hard to grasp?

Well because that's not at all how it works.

You're free to say whatever you want, and the government won't ruin your day (save for very specific cases), but from there on out you're on your own.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In reality that is how it works. Your job finds out you're being a shithead and it can be linked back to you (fb profile, twitter, insta, etc etc)? See ya.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

In reality that is how it works. Your job finds out you're being a shithead and it can be linked back to you (fb profile, twitter, insta, etc etc)? See ya.

I'm okay with this and I think it's completely reasonable. I'm taking issue with the people that will argue against it when they think what was said was funny and argue for it when they disagree with what was said.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Vintersorg posted:

You find out one of your employees is being a shithead in ways that do not impact their performance on the job, they're part of a union, and you're dumb enough you can just up and fire them? Have fun losing that slam dunk of a grievance.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

You find out one of your employees is being a shithead in ways that do not impact their performance on the job, they're part of a union, and you're dumb enough you can just up and fire them? Have fun losing that slam dunk of a grievance.

Naturally, the union has also blocked all efforts to measure and quantify employee performance beyond simple attendance.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Ikantski posted:

Naturally, the union has also blocked all efforts to measure and quantify employee performance beyond simple attendance.

And the metrics other than "does not perform job as laid out in job description" that justify firing are:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I find the explanation of the karmic comment more offensive than the comment itself:

quote:

He has since apologized, saying fire evacuees “have my full support and sympathy,” and told Postmedia on Wednesday that he meant “karmic” to describe his own failure to inform people enough about climate change.

Just admit you said something reprehensible in an emotional moment and that you regret it and here is your understanding of why it was wrong. It's laughable that these kinds of non-apologies in which the person claims 'actually I was saying something nice and self critical" have become so common that they don't even warrant notice most of the time.

Ikantski posted:

The union would be a pretty trivial and meaningless entity if any employer could just manufacture an excuse to fire union members. There's always going to be a trade off between protecting workers from arbitrary dismissal and making it easy to get rid of genuinely unfit employees.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Is there anyone here who can explain the significance of Canada adopting the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples? It seems like a big step.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
he was done a favour taber is a shithole, locals will drink in their trucks and go shoot small animals for fun

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

tagesschau posted:

:lol: Ok.

Let's continue to let shitheads thrive and get away with whatever the gently caress.

"Jerry can still push a pencil! I don't care that he hates women."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tagesschau posted:

The fact you're a cancer to the team and nobody wants to work with you doesn't impact your job performance. Nope, nosiree Bob.

Employers should always just eat the costs (ideally by arranging a payout that is fair, but if that's not possible by dealing with the lawsuit) and fire shitheads. The long term cost to the organization is lower.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What is even being argued about at this point? I've lost the plot of whatever digression this thread is on.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Job Creators should be able to fire you without good cause. Unions make this difficult and are therefore bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THC posted:

Job Creators should be able to fire you without good cause. Unions make this difficult and are therefore bad.

Being a shithead that makes the employer/employees look worse by association is 100% grounds for termination dude

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

TheKingofSprings posted:

Being a shithead that makes the employer/employees look worse by association is 100% grounds for termination dude
It's nice that you trust employers not to abuse something as nebulous as this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

, he posted, on a website that publicly mocked a woman for having several miscarriages. Clean out your desk, you misogynist scum by association.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

And the metrics other than "does not perform job as laid out in job description" that justify firing are:

"The province has not increased our budget therefore we need to replace your position with 2 part time workers who have half the education you do, your bad for choosing a career in nursing instead of teaching".

quote:

The Ontario Nurses' Association (ONA) and the provincial NDP called on the government to implement an immediate moratorium on cuts to registered nurse (RN) positions today.

At a joint media conference at Queen's Park this morning, ONA First Vice-President Vicki McKenna, RN joined NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in announcing that Ontario hospitals have cut 1,440 RN positions, or the equivalent of three RN positions per day since the beginning of 2015.

"To put the total number of RN cuts in perspective, that's 90 RNs per month gone from front-line patient care and a loss to our patients of 2.8 million hours of RN care in just 17 months," said McKenna.

"The repercussion of such deep RN cuts are serious," she said. "Evidence from multiple studies show that for every extra patient added to an average RN's workload, the patient's risk of suffering complications and even death increases by seven per cent. Patients occupying Ontario hospital beds today suffer from multiple, complex illnesses, and require the skills and education of RNs. Yet years of hospital funding freezes have resulted in the loss of RNs just as patients need their care the most."

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ontario-nurses-association-ndp-call-for-moratorium-on-rn-cuts-578635541.html

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

http://warrenkinsella.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_6739.jpg

Look at this guy :allears:

fakeedit: bah we missed the 20th anniversary of the Shawnigan Handshake :qq:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can see business worried about losing customers who don't want to deal with a publicly outed shitbag and figure getting rid of the shitbag will bring their potential lost customers back. Also, keeping someone like that can imply you and your company agrees with what the employee was publicly outed for, and a lot of business have gone on record stating they terminated the person due to conflicting values and not wanting to be associated with those opinions.

Politicians have to resign all the time when they make garbage comments (except Rob Ford) so it should be no surprise when that extends to the private sector.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Speaking of le petit gars du Shawinigan

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says it's time for Canada to decriminalize marijuana possession, saying the change is long overdue.

The former prime minister says it is unacceptable for anyone to be saddled with a criminal record for simply smoking marijuana.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^Pot? I use it to boil my egg.

I'm on the losing end of this one, but if the reputation of the shitbag hooking up your air conditioner or nailing your roof down means anything at all to you then maybe you should never talk to any tradesman ever, because having lovely opinions and being able to do your job really really well aren't mutually exclusive, and people who run these companies give exactly no fucks about their guys' ability to do anything other than the thing for which they were hired.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I'm on the losing end of this one, but if the reputation of the shitbag hooking up your air conditioner or nailing your roof down means anything at all to you then maybe you should never talk to any tradesman ever, because having lovely opinions and being able to do your job really really well aren't mutually exclusive, and people who run these companies give exactly no fucks about their guys' ability to do anything other than the thing for which they were hired.

People can think whatever lovely thing they want, it's only when they mention it or act it out that other individuals are free to respond appropriately.

If employers could read minds there'd be very few people actually still at most jobs, I imagine, but they can't and so the system "works"

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 9, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tom-moffatt-karmic-tweet-fort-mcmurray-fire-suspension-1.3573156?cmp=rss

Tom Moffatt's 'karmic' Fort McMurray fire tweet nets job suspension
Ex-NDP hopeful later deleted and expressed regret for social media post

A former Alberta NDP candidate has been suspended from his job with the Town of Taber over his tweet last week, "Karmic #climatechange fire burns CDN oilsands city," which he later deleted and apologized for.

https://twitter.com/TownofTaber/status/728748329941618688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

flakeloaf posted:

You speak truth. The crew that did our drywall was a scary bunch of red neck substance abusers but drat they did good work.

Flip side of the conversation is the possibility of a government scientist having their career impacted because he/she published a paper that didn't confirm the opinions of a cabinet full of young earth creationists, tar sand pounders, and other denialists.

A strictly hypothetical situation, of course.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Trudeau turned down all the international help

http://globalnews.ca/news/2689492/trudeau-turns-down-russian-u-s-mexican-offers-to-help-battle-fort-mcmurray-wildfire/

quote:

OTTAWA – Russia, the U.S., Mexico, Australia, Taiwan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority have all offered help in fighting the northern Alberta wildfire, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there’s no need for international assistance.

Last week Vladimir Puchkov, the Russian minister of emergency measures, offered to send heavy water bombers and specialized crews to battle the fire that’s been raging out of control near Fort McMurray.

John Babcock, a spokesman for Global Affairs Canada, says there have been a series of other offers since the crisis emerged last week and they have been reviewed against requirements.

Trudeau says Canada sincerely appreciates the international support, but it isn’t necessary.

He says water bombers and firefighters from other provinces, including Ontario, B.C., Quebec and New Brunswick, are getting a handle on the situation.

Babcock says accepting international disaster assistance would not set a precedent and has happened in the past, but he didn’t provide examples.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

TheKingofSprings posted:

People can think whatever lovely thing they want, it's only when they mention it or act it out that other individuals are free to respond appropriately.

If employers could read minds there'd be very few people actually still at most jobs, I imagine, but they can't and so the system "works"

People who say things I find repugnant should be rendered completely unemployable!

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

tagesschau posted:

People who say things I find repugnant should be rendered completely unemployable!

I personally vet every single person I do business with and if they don't align with my personal poo poo ideology I refuse to work with them or let them work for me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why not just take the loving help, Jesus loving Christ, Trudeau?

"I'll buy your cab home."

"No thanksh, I'm pretty sure I'm okay to drive *hic*"

They are trying to do you a favour and it's a favour you could really use! I'm sure the Canadian firefighters could use a rest, even if we currently have adequate capacity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Why not just take the loving help, Jesus loving Christ, Trudeau?

"I'll buy your cab home."

"No thanksh, I'm pretty sure I'm okay to drive *hic*"

They are trying to do you a favour and it's a favour you could really use! I'm sure the Canadian firefighters could use a rest, even if we currently have adequate capacity.

Probably has something to do with it being Russia....but hey.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No extra help is needed. They just need rain.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

tagesschau posted:

I agree.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

What help could the Palestinian Authority possibly offer? They don't have any money and I'm fairly certain they have neither the skills nor equipment to fight forest fires.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Chicken posted:

What help could the Palestinian Authority possibly offer? They don't have any money and I'm fairly certain they have neither the skills nor equipment to fight forest fires.
They get a lot of experience putting out olive trees that mysteriously catch fire from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chicken posted:

Maybe not forest fires, but I'm sure they have very good firefighters at fighting urban fires without good equipment. And those firefighters are used to doing it with bad equipment and without any respect too :v: