Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Why do the environments in Senran Kagura have such low-res textures and bland designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

Why do the environments in Senran Kagura have such low-res textures and bland designs?

The difference is that are ver few the elements you can interact with and when there's an element you see repeatedly (like the Towers in Estival or the keepers in Bhikkhuni) they don't look like they just took the most low res model available and just copypasted through the stages like is the case in Uppers.

If this were just an extra feature then it wouldn't matter much but in Uppers is one of its selling points

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How come the character models can look so good but everything else look so poo poo? The loving truck looks like something out of a PSX game.

As opposed to VD where everything looks really bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alder posted:

Digimon still fun after 30+ hrs later but getting a bit tired of grinding for exp for new friends.

Do you have PlatinumSukamon? Make three Pabumon -> Motimon -> Hagurumon -> Plats. Their support skill grants +100% XP, and it stacks. They'll suck at fighting to start with, so you should digivolve them into Vademon one by one, get them to level 45 for Nightmare III, and de-digivolve back. Between that, Venom Trap, and Character Reversal, your PlatSukamons will be strong enough to take on most things by themselves. If you have any Tactician USBs, they'll also stack and a team of three poop monsters can carry up to 6 of them. You can also digivolve them to Etemon, and then to PlatinumNumemon for something stronger with the same support skill and even more Tactician USB carrying capacity.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Stanos posted:

NG+ is where most of the difficulty is (every iteration adds about 40 to enemy levels) but even then there's way to snap 90% of the difficulty over your knee if you really want to. Basically anything that isn't a god or a boss falls to the might of the starshine hammer (aka the PikoPiko Hammer from Demon Gaze) + slash where they're paralyzed, knocked out and silenced. But it's pretty much an Exp Inc DRPG through and through if that's what you're asking. The dungeons DO pull some seriously mean poo poo later so you have that to look forward to at least.

Plus you get to meet Dranserk the cool guy and figure out what's up with the butterflies. The story's good enough at least, nothing fantastic but I was interested enough to not just hold down X my first time through.

it's definitely pretty good, i'm just busy enough right now that it doesn't make me want to partition out my free time to crawl that dungeon but once things taper off later this year i'll come back and finish it in one big push.

honestly if there's one thing i really got a kick out of in Operation Abyss it was having those goofy as gently caress paperdolls you had the delight of customizing and then watching them wear progressively more goofy clownsuits as the games progressed. there's something super enjoyable to me about that but i also totally understand why they've just gone for flashy portraits now (and upload-your-own artwork in SoSS PC)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The difference is that are ver few the elements you can interact with and when there's an element you see repeatedly (like the Towers in Estival or the keepers in Bhikkhuni) they don't look like they just took the most low res model available and just copypasted through the stages like is the case in Uppers.

If this were just an extra feature then it wouldn't matter much but in Uppers is one of its selling points

why does this matter to you

it's a Vita game from Marvelous

i don't expect destructible items in a brawler to look amazing. i expect them to break on someone's face, and it looks like they do that.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How do people feel about Stranger of Sword City? Relative to the numerous other Dungeon Crawl RPG options on both the (3)ds/vita, is it a really good one and worth playing? I'm not asking if it competes with Etrian since I've already played all those, but how does it feel compared to the numerous other ones I could choose to spend my time with instead?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

John Romero posted:

they actually patched borderlands 2 a shitton and now it runs and plays pretty well

No it doesn't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish it was coming out this year instead of MN9

Same here but I've already played and beaten 10+ Castlevania games this month so you'd think I'd be burned out by now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Hey guys, it's only been since... November but I have a new computer and I can post news stuff so uh all hail your new reign of Policenaut news terror.

Uppers stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNz6O-V-lHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5689zzimADQ

New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawmRmVW0B4

Welcome back.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Dodoman posted:

No it doesn't.

Yeah, it does. I just tried out my roommate's copy of Borderlands 2 the other day and had no problems with it outside of the fact I don't really like playing shooters with thumb sticks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF is the superior multiplayer shooting grindfest anyway

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Really Pants posted:

EDF is the superior multiplayer shooting grindfest anyway

I hope EDF 2017 goes on sale again in the near future.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Grand Kingdom is fun enough. I'm not sure if it feels like a full-price game though. Gotta mess with the lite version a bit more to see.

The artwork and sprites want to be Vanillaware so bad.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Last I heard they blocked importers shortly after allowing them for a brief period. Did they open the "borders" again? And are they closing now (again)? The whole ordeal seems rather confusing.

This never happened. The list of items that could be shipped was inconsistent, which seems to have lead to the confusion.

I really hope they're not shutting it down now, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

stay safe in the anime tiddy echo chamber, policenaut

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RanKizama posted:

Grand Kingdom is fun enough. I'm not sure if it feels like a full-price game though. Gotta mess with the lite version a bit more to see.

The artwork and sprites want to be Vanillaware so bad.

The dialogue artwork is fine, but goddamn the battle models are so ugly. I feel like I'm playing an old flash game sometimes.

The game itself is fun, though, and I'll absolutely be getting it when it comes out. Getting it for Vita, though, because no way I'm spending $60 on a game that looks like this.

e: Also, it's a game that designed to be played in short spurts, so it's perfect for portable, IMO.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 9, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Is anyone trading the SKEV cards? Doesn't seem like something that'd go in the "TGGS" thread.

My friend who shares anime shows with me gave me his cards, but it's a pack I already have (Asuka). It's still sealed, but here is what they all look like.
I'd like the blue ones or red ones if anyone's interested in trading.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got the Hebijo cards so I threw them in a dumpster where they belong.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Takoluka posted:

I hope EDF 2017 goes on sale again in the near future.

Is multiplayer region locked or something? For as long as I had 2017 I rarely ever found anyone else playing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SpacePig posted:

The dialogue artwork is fine, but goddamn the battle models are so ugly. I feel like I'm playing an old flash game sometimes.

The game itself is fun, though, and I'll absolutely be getting it when it comes out. Getting it for Vita, though, because no way I'm spending $60 on a game that looks like this.

e: Also, it's a game that designed to be played in short spurts, so it's perfect for portable, IMO.

I think it's a nice looking game, but my friend was watching me play and complaining how background and foreground elements move real slow and it was making him a little dizzy looking at it

I think the biggest sticking point was the prep screen where it seems like it's got 6 frames of animation total that don't segue cleanly enough

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

SpacePig posted:

Agreed. While I'm usually on the PS4 > Vita wagon, this game definitely feels more suited to the Vita.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gabby_Jay posted:

Is multiplayer region locked or something? For as long as I had 2017 I rarely ever found anyone else playing.

I have no idea, to be honest. I do know that it's digital-only with next to no marketing in the US, so you're going to find less people based entirely on that. As for Japan, they either can't play with us or have moved on to 4.1 (where they can't play with us).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The multiplayer in all EDF games is broken up by region for some dumb reasom

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

How do people feel about Stranger of Sword City? Relative to the numerous other Dungeon Crawl RPG options on both the (3)ds/vita, is it a really good one and worth playing? I'm not asking if it competes with Etrian since I've already played all those, but how does it feel compared to the numerous other ones I could choose to spend my time with instead?

Look back a couple of pages, it's been mentioned.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I got the JP version of EDF2 for a really good price on play-asia ($15!) when I thought the vita was dead no way it was coming over. While I had lots of fun with it, I'm locked out of playing with western people. JP servers still have a whole lot of people, and sometimes you don't get kicked out for staying silent and not understanding poo poo.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I think I got the most boring set of the bunch, yeesh

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Death Under the Labyrinth is coming overseas.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/meiq-labyrinth-death-coming-west-fall

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
PS Vita Discussion: the game you like is dungeon crawler

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Takoluka posted:

Because the games are bad and they don't have the technology to put boobs on the terrain yet.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Are the trading cards tied into some kind of card game, or just plain cards with pinup motives?

nerdz posted:

PS Vita Discussion: the game you like is an erotic dungeon crawler

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
They're trading cards. You trade them with others. There's all kinds like baseball players and comic characters and hockeymans. I used to have a bunch of DESERT STORM ones. I even had one of myself when I was in Little League and it was dope and as it was one-of-a-kind I bet its probably worth serious bank now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It's actually super weird that there used to be desert storm trading cards now that I typed that out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ah, thanks for explaining. Where i grew up we didn't see those a lot, or connected to some kind of MTG game like things.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

But trading them means interacting with senran kagura fans

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

It's actually super weird that there used to be desert storm trading cards now that I typed that out.

What.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Saint Freak posted:

PS Vita Discussion: the game you like is jingoism

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

A man seven hearts younger.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

i'll trade you my highway of death for your kuwaiti resistance member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly XSEED was considering to sell the extra stock of the sets on their online store but nothing so far.

The cards themselves are trying to be sold in Ebay for some pretty insane prices. No Dai cards though :smith: