Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Ha ha ha

Trump Adviser’s Ties Raise Security Questions

quote:

Trump’s top adviser, Paul Manafort, has spent much of his recent career working for pro-Russian forces in Ukraine, and doing complex deals for an oligarch with close ties to Putin. And while a Democratic senator has already charged Trump is not responsible enough to receive secret information, Manafort’s deep relationships with top pro-Russian figures raise special concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The title, and the reference to Trump, made me assume that the adviser's fashion choices were somehow a security risk. Like they had a target pattern on them, or football codes, or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

it's not a bug, it's a feature

putin is manly America's best bro after all

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

The title, and the reference to Trump, made me assume that the adviser's fashion choices were somehow a security risk. Like they had a target pattern on them, or football codes, or something.

They didn't have the three stripes.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Could any Romanian posters link me some youtube videos of good songs in romanian? Old ones also okay. I want to enjoy the sound of romanian language for my own enjoyment.

'Dragostea din tei' not accepted.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sure thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DO0XyS8Ko

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This isn't the only adviser either. Carter Page on Trump's foreign policy team was another Donbass cheerleader caught parroting pro-Russian comments...

Politico, March 21, 2016 posted:

Carter Page, a former investment banker and global energy consultant who graduated from the Naval Academy, according to his online biography. In discursive online blog postings about foreign policy that invoke the likes of Kanye West, Oprah Winfrey and Rhonda Byrne's self-help bestseller "The Secret," Page has blamed the U.S. for "misguided and provocative actions" toward Russia — notable in light of Trump's friendly words for Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Page, who has worked for Merrill Lynch in Moscow, has accused the State Department's top official for Ukraine and Russia, Victoria Nuland, of "fomenting" the 2014 revolution that overthrew Ukraine's government. That charge is often lodged by pro-Kremlin media outlets but is strongly disputed by the Obama administration.

Page has also compared the Obama administration's official 2015 national security strategy document to an 1850 document on how to manage slaves.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Given the first advisors background, expect people working for Trump companies to be told that if he doesn't win they are all fired, and to keep that in mind while voting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I always forget how sweaty that guy is.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting article on the far right in Croatia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Trump is elected president and it turns out he's way poorer than he brags about and has massive secret debts to Putin who then ends up controlling the US president.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Trump is elected president and it turns out he's way poorer than he brags about and has massive secret debts to Putin who then ends up controlling the US president.
Tom Clancy's "The Second Orange Revolution"

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.rt.com/on-air/moscow-victory-day-parade/

71st victory day "celebrations"

Nothing reminds me what we defeated fascism for more than goose-stepping soldiers and massive displays of military hardware.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 9, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Baronjutter posted:

Considering Trump's stance on NATO involvement, the interests of his advisors and how much he likes Putin - him being elected might have grave consequences for Eastern Europe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

slavatuvs posted:

Nothing reminds me why we defeated fascism more than goose-stepping soldiers and massive displays of military hardware.

But it really was unstoppable military might that defeated fascism? Of course the victors were militarists themselves.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nenonen posted:

But it really was unstoppable military might that defeated fascism? Of course the victors were militarists themselves.

The new all black uniforms were cool also.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's more that they defeated fascists to replace them with an equally monstrous regime.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

It's more that they defeated fascists to replace them with an equally monstrous regime.

For significant part of EE it was exchanging death sentence for life in prison, with possible parole.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Was it? I thought Stalin alone managed to rack up a higher kill count than the Nazis, not to mention all the suppressions that followed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Was it? I thought Stalin alone managed to rack up a higher kill count than the Nazis, not to mention all the suppressions that followed.

The most liberal estimates on victims of Stalin's regime are ~25 million people, including people sentenced to deportation for petty crimes. Which is the same number as the number of soldiers, not even including civilians, who died in WWII. So I would say Hitler 'wins' this one.

E: Happy V Day, everyone. Here's the Pope wearing the St. George's ribbon presented to him by a Russian communist a couple of days ago.

Obviously, he didn't know that the ribbon is a bit controversial outside of Russia.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like Stalin wasn't at least partially responsible for WW2 as well...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Generalplan Ost

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

By that logic, he was also partially responsible for winning it, so it evens out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

He shouldn't have worn such a short skirt!

anilEhilated posted:

The Nazis managed to kill more Soviet civilians in less than four years than Stalin throughout his entire career. (16 - 18 million for the Germans, 4 million due to political violence, forcible resettlements, POW mistreatment... + 6 - 8 million in famines = 10 - 13 million for Stalin).Of course this doesn't include military deaths as well as civilian deaths outside the USSR.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

steinrokkan posted:

He shouldn't have worn such a short skirt!

Yeah signing a secret pact with Nazis to divide up other countries and invading Poland basically together means nothing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
T minus 5 posts to Suvorov/Icebreaker.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Palpek posted:

Considering Trump's stance on NATO involvement, the interests of his advisors and how much he likes Putin - him being elected might have grave consequences for Eastern Europe.

Yeah I really worry for eastern europe and Ukraine if he's elected. Seems the sort of guy who would "respect" that eastern europe is putin's playground and putin earned it by being strong not weak like the europeans.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
The secret protocols of the pact that the Soviets signed with the Nazis included an independent Polish state, and the Soviets only intervened after the Polish government fled and the Nazis stopped acknowledging the Polish state's existence. Before the invasion the Soviets offered to put an army on the German border as part of a larger alliance against the Nazis.

They weren't "basically together" with the Nazis in invading Poland.

Hail Grover.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flocons de Jambon posted:

The secret protocols of the pact that the Soviets signed with the Nazis included an independent Polish state, and the Soviets only intervened after the Polish government fled and the Nazis stopped acknowledging the Polish state's existence. Before the invasion the Soviets offered to put an army on the German border as part of a larger alliance against the Nazis.

Hail Grover.

Also in 1938 - 1939 the Soviets were quite open about their willingness to go into a pre-emptive war against Germany, as long as France and Britain also committed. Obviously the Western powers weren't forthcoming, so a continued non-aggression with the Nazis was chosen to buy the Soviets some time for rearming and military reform.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

I don't know what I expected on this forum.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe Hitler & co., after having defeated their enemies, would have mellowed out and cancelled their genocide plans? :kiddo:

Otherwise Soviet control of half of Europe, while not good, was the lesser evil. Stalin of course was guilty of all kinds of crimes on humanity, but Nazis winning wouldn't have made things easier for Ukrainians et al. Maybe for some nationalities who would have benefitted from divide and conquer policies like Slovaks did at the expense of Czechs (or so they hoped at the time).

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7Wjq4lllw

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrCsB23GoU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Hail Grover.

It doesn't really matter. Various nations made agreements that enabled Hitler. The Soviets just paid the biggest price for theirs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meanwhile on the news on Polish national TV (controlled by PiS):

The subtitle reads "(Is) KOD like Hamas?" - KOD organizes legal and peaceful marches through Polish cities against constitution-breaking PiS's ideas.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hail Grover.

The Germans crossed the border on September 1st, 1939. The Soviets crossed the border on September 17th, 1939. The Polish government fled on September 18th, 1939 (to Romania). The German and Soviet forces met at Brest on September 19th, 1939. The Polish government fleeing was a direct result of the Soviet invasion and resulting encirclement. You have a poor (or extremely selective) understanding of events it seems.

In the spirit of totally-not-cooperating the Germans and Soviets held a joint military parade in Brest a few days later.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 9, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Putin couldn't have disrupted this thread any better if he'd tried.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Palpek posted:

Meanwhile on the news on Polish national TV (controlled by PiS):

The subtitle reads "(Is) KOD like Hamas?" - KOD organizes legal and peaceful marches through Polish cities against constitution-breaking PiS's ideas.

I saw a video today from some TVP show (I don't watch TV anymore so I couldn't tell you which) where the woman was interviewing a priest who said it was a grave sin to publicly support KOD or PO and he would only offer absolution to parishioners who promised to stop supporting them. We're through the looking glass.

edit: vid: https://www.facebook.com/antysystemowa.polska/videos/1753899481514471/?pnref=story

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 10, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Natonalist idiots are attacking Portuguese people in Poland because they think we're Arabs. did they privatize sun rays during the 90's and everyone in Poland is a pale ghoul or something? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Natonalist idiots are attacking Portuguese people in Poland because they think we're Arabs. did they privatize sun rays during the 90's and everyone in Poland is a pale ghoul or something? :psyduck:

Yes.