Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alright, I have a vet appointment on Wednesday. The big challenge will be getting Putni moved over to a transport cage... does anyone have ideas for strategy? I think keeping him in the current large cage, removing as many of the toys and perches as possible, and then trying to catch him while he's in there, will be my best bet? His current cage is too large to fit the car.

Either way, I'm not even sure if isolation has any purpose. If Putni, Pion, or both, are infected, they'll surely have been it for much longer, and would already have transmitted the disease to the other, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You really should seperate them. Best to not assume anything especially if only 1 bird is showing symptoms. If this was a hospital and a disease just as dangerous except for humans, Putni and everyone he had contact with would be isolated pending confirmation of infection, because thats how serious it is.

To get him into the travel cage, grab a small towel (like facewasher-showermat size, tea towel works too) and put it over 1 hand. Putni will freak out, but put your hand in the cage and move quickly and with purpose and grab him as fast as possible and wrap the towel around him. Put him in the travel cage and throw the tea towel out into your wheelie bin and wash your hands. The vet with have more.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pion may be the carrier but in some cases they have it but don't get sick. Both birds should really be tested to make sure.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6qx1YeOqIM

and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87d3IrjGIA

:3: Cruisin' cockatoo videos on youtube this morning

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's me your cat mittens. You can trsut me, let me in.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

TaurusTorus posted:

So I'm going to be rehoming my parent's cockatiel for a month while some home renovations are done. What are some of the common pitfalls for moving an old bird who has never lived anywhere else? Also sometimes the pot smoke from the apartment below mine wafts up through the vents, how much smoke is "too much" for a bird, its just tiny whiffs here and there.

Well, any smoke is bad for a bird, but you can do what I did when I had my awful downstairs neighbors and keep the bird in a sealed room with a towel under the door. To help the bird adjust, have your parents visit as often as possible. If that's not an option, just sitting quietly in the same room will help the bird understand that it hasn't been abandoned and still has contact with someone it (hopefully) likes. Good luck!

Disco Salmon posted:

Cricket pellets

A growing bird should eat whatever the hell you put in its bowl, honestly. When a bird is molting/growing new feathers, that's usually the time to try something new in their diet since they'll typically be ravenous enough to throw caution to the wind and stuff their faces. I LOVE Harrison's as a staple diet. You'd want Harrison's High Potency Fine to start with, then the Adult Lifetime Fine in a few months.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Official Bizness posted:

A growing bird should eat whatever the hell you put in its bowl, honestly. When a bird is molting/growing new feathers, that's usually the time to try something new in their diet since they'll typically be ravenous enough to throw caution to the wind and stuff their faces. I LOVE Harrison's as a staple diet. You'd want Harrison's High Potency Fine to start with, then the Adult Lifetime Fine in a few months.

Yup got that part figured out lol just have no idea on what pellets I should be looking at. I have some idea but not sure on what ones are better for them, or what pellets to stay away from. I'll look into the Harrisons...thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This sums up the difference between the two types of birds.

https://vine.co/v/iQPFQ5XznYM

https://twitter.com/vine/status/729714832832925696

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loki finally did it and managed to hatch an egg :D

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

learnincurve posted:

Loki finally did it and managed to hatch an egg :D

WELCOME TO THE WORLD, LITTLE JELLYBEAN. Not sure if it's your first time, so if you need baby raisin' tips, feel free to ask me.

Have some pictures of lovebirds of yesteryear:

Official Bizness fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 9, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

baby birds are such freaks

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
^^^

such adorable lil turkeybutts! Love the nekkidness :)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

So I'm going to be rehoming my parent's cockatiel for a month while some home renovations are done. What are some of the common pitfalls for moving an old bird who has never lived anywhere else? Also sometimes the pot smoke from the apartment below mine wafts up through the vents, how much smoke is "too much" for a bird, its just tiny whiffs here and there.

I found this book on cockatiel care, it seems helpful if a bit confusing in places:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I know Boop didn't appreciate being drizzled with olive oil and put in the oven for 15 minutes at 160C, but I think judging by how quiet she is, she seems pretty content with the result.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Today Judah was a Good Bird and decided to take a nap when I wanted to take one :3:

Granted it was primarily because it's overcast and cold and snowing, but STILL.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

I know Boop didn't appreciate being drizzled with olive oil and put in the oven for 15 minutes at 160C, but I think judging by how quiet she is, she seems pretty content with the result.

I laughed WAY too hard at that.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

baby birds are such freaks

My theory has always been they're ugly because how else are mom and dad gonna be able to vomit up some food for them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

My theory has always been they're ugly because how else are mom and dad gonna be able to vomit up some food for them

Baby birds can be cute, just visit the keets thread or the chicken thread.

These, however, are not.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Cythereal posted:

Baby birds can be cute, just visit the keets thread or the chicken thread.

These, however, are not.

Yeah, with baby birds the cuteness factor usually comes down to altricial vs precocial birds. Baby precocial birds like chicken, keets, emu babies, etc are adorbs, whereas altricial babies like most parrots are horrifying fleshbeasts.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find baby cockatiels ugly-cute as hell though :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
From Cthulhu to Cute in only weeks: The Baby Parrot Tale.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ITT: CUTE BABEY BIRDS!

Unrelated: The happy cheeping of many cockatiels from last weekend. There's one guy missing an eye who perched on my shoulder for a good little while. I like him a lot :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1FhPuLWAy8

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

ITT: CUTE BABEY BIRDS!

Unrelated: The happy cheeping of many cockatiels from last weekend. There's one guy missing an eye who perched on my shoulder for a good little while. I like him a lot :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1FhPuLWAy8
Ain't no party like a cockatiel party 'cause a cockatiel party don't shut the hell up :3: I want to go stand in there

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tendai posted:

Today Judah was a Good Bird and decided to take a nap when I wanted to take one :3:

Granted it was primarily because it's overcast and cold and snowing, but STILL.

It's been in the 90's down here for like the last month down here in South-Central Texas. My mind is continually blown whenever I realize that there are people in the USA who are still dealing with snow.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

It's been in the 90's down here for like the last month down here in South-Central Texas. My mind is continually blown whenever I realize that there are people in the USA who are still dealing with snow.
I'm only one state over from you, at that, in NM. Just, I'm up at 8500 feet, too.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Due to some unexpected and rather horrible financial stuff that just popped up, I have to put off adopting an African Grey for a bit and I'm slightly heartbroken over it. I was so excited :( :(

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Oh boy, I think this is the thread I need to be in for this. You guys like birds, right?

My sister-in-law's parents are taking a vacation next week and leaving a pet menagerie behind. My sis-in-law will be working from their home to take care of most of them, but she asked me to take care of the bird, since she had no clue what to do with her. Frankly, I don't, either, but I have the time to ask around for help. I didn't even know they had this bird. I'm told that she's a currently a fledgling sparrow, found injured a few weeks ago near their home. Apparently, they took her to the vet (it's a rural area whose vets deal with lots of non-cat/dogs), and I guess the vet didn't suggest giving the bird to someone more experienced, which I find really surprising. In any case, she's pretty much healed now and they can't seem to let her go because oh no my bird baby! :byodood: I'm pretty sure the bird is relatively dependent on them by now, too.

I've never cared for a bird (not ready for the commitment and might never be), but I absolutely adore them and read about bird care when it comes up. I find this whole wild sparrow thing pretty dang questionable. In terms of doing the ethical thing—which I assume is not keeping the poor thing—I sincerely doubt there's anything I could say to convince them that they should not be keeping this bird. Furthermore, it would be Highly Upsetting to the family dynamic if I did something with the bird behind their backs. I'm left with two things to do: learn how to care for her the best I can and also learn what should actually be done with the bird.

So there we have it! How on earth do you care for a wild, fledgling sparrow? What should I suggest be done with her once the official caretakers return? If there's a moral issue here, I'd like to know, too. If I need to lean in and pressure them to give up the bird ASAP, I will. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to acting on my own, though.

Thanks for reading, by the way. I'm kinda freaked out about this.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Where do you live? The simplest solution might be that it's illegal in your state or country to harbor wildlife without a rehabilitation license. Conversely, depending on the sparrow species, the bird may be considered an invasive predator and not be protected by this law, meaning that your family can keep it without consequence.

If the bird was fully feathered (looked like a "real" bird versus the fleshy jellybean pictures further up the page), it's been socialized to live with and function alongside its fellow birds. It won't have had the chance to bond with your in-laws - they feed it and coo to it and pet it, but most likely their companionship isn't something the bird will thrive on receiving until many, many months or years later after continued and positive exposure. It would ABSOLUTELY survive in the wild as well as any other bird if it was already fledging. I wouldn't call it cruel to keep it as a pet, but they'd need to understand its social needs may not be met with only human interaction. Since sparrows are kinda dicks, it wouldn't get along with finches or canaries, so they'd need to find a few more sparrows and hope they don't all murder each other over territory.

If it was blind and pink when the in-laws found it, then it can be considered a well-socialized "pet" and treated like any canary, finch, etc - a large flight cage, plenty of things to shred, and fed an appropriate diet. All birds do best in the wild, but this thread is evidence that many birds live very happy existences with great quality of life alongside their humans. :)

Shirec posted:

Due to some unexpected and rather horrible financial stuff that just popped up, I have to put off adopting an African Grey for a bit and I'm slightly heartbroken over it. I was so excited :( :(

That's a really, really responsible decision. You're setting yourself up for success with your future bird friend, and hey! More time to visit and bond with the birds available for adoption!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Official Bizness posted:

Where do you live? The simplest solution might be that it's illegal in your state or country to harbor wildlife without a rehabilitation license. Conversely, depending on the sparrow species, the bird may be considered an invasive predator and not be protected by this law, meaning that your family can keep it without consequence.

If the bird was fully feathered (looked like a "real" bird versus the fleshy jellybean pictures further up the page), it's been socialized to live with and function alongside its fellow birds. It won't have had the chance to bond with your in-laws - they feed it and coo to it and pet it, but most likely their companionship isn't something the bird will thrive on receiving until many, many months or years later after continued and positive exposure. It would ABSOLUTELY survive in the wild as well as any other bird if it was already fledging. I wouldn't call it cruel to keep it as a pet, but they'd need to understand its social needs may not be met with only human interaction. Since sparrows are kinda dicks, it wouldn't get along with finches or canaries, so they'd need to find a few more sparrows and hope they don't all murder each other over territory.

If it was blind and pink when the in-laws found it, then it can be considered a well-socialized "pet" and treated like any canary, finch, etc - a large flight cage, plenty of things to shred, and fed an appropriate diet. All birds do best in the wild, but this thread is evidence that many birds live very happy existences with great quality of life alongside their humans. :)

I'm in Texas, which has a pretty free-for-all attitude about... everything. I found this when searching through the TPWD regulations, which leads me to believe they're within legal limits:

quote:

69.45. Permit Required.
(a) No permit is required to rehabilitate nongame species for which there is no open season or possession limit, or for which there are no provisions by rule or statute that would otherwise restrict possession.

You know, my niece said they sent her a picture of the bird when they first found her, so I'll ask her to send to send it my way so I can see how young she was. It's been at least a month and a half, if they're recalling correctly, so I don't have a clue what stage she was at. If she was a fledgling, I'll let them know release is a safe option! In either case, I'll use the feeding/care tips you linked to make sure she's healthy and happy in the meantime.

My biggest concerns come from not understanding exactly what bird needs are—especially birds that weren't bred in captivity and intended as pets. I love seeing other people's bird babies, so cruising this thread has been delightful. Thanks a ton for the response!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sparrows are apparently not entirely uncommon as pets and there is a lot of information available out there from what I'm looking at online. TBH, provided the bird has plenty of enrichment I don't see how the life of a sparrow indoors could be appreciably worse than the life of a sparrow outdoors, given that the inside sparrow is probably not going to get eaten by any cats or freeze to death or drown in a rainstorm. IMO, the ethical issues behind wild songbird ownership are a lot less messy than the ethical issues with a lot of popular aviculture birds :shrug: Beyond that they're an invasive species and shouldn't be there anyway.

Fledgling sparrows should be ready to go on their own and should already be afraid of predators (they apparently go from hatching to independence in two weeks) so it may have still been a baby when they found it. What kind of cage setup do they have for the bird right now?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Hey, what's that in the distance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FD8MrKROaM

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
I kind of feel like roving flocks of friendly wild cockies and potatiels are aussie consolation prizes for everything else down there trying to kill you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My mother has rescued numerous small wild birds, usually starlings, sparrows and once a robin. Must have been around 10 of them over the years. Standard thing she does is to feed it in the cage, worms in cut up in a blender with maybe some fat or seeds thrown in is the usual to start with, and then when it starts to fly she leaves the cage open by the window with a small fat ball in it. The bird will come and go as it wishes until one day it moves out of the "nest". She has a bird table and various feeders round the garden so it usually happens pretty fast after birdie discovers where they all are. Sometimes they choose to hang out in the house or land on her when she's outside, the robin was a bugger for tapping on the kitchen window when it got cold or wet and I remember one hard winter in the late 80s when it just moved itself back into the cage for the duration.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ApathyGirl posted:

I kind of feel like roving flocks of friendly wild cockies and potatiels are nature's reinforcements for everything else down there trying to kill you.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 10, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ApathyGirl posted:

I kind of feel like roving flocks of friendly wild cockies and potatiels are aussie consolation prizes for everything else down there trying to kill you.

"Friendly" aka "Dive bomb you with pinecones" and "Scream at 2am" :argh:

I can forgive the screaming though, theres a few wedgetails around and I can imagine being woken by something like 5x your size shuffling in its sleep would be terrifying.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Is it bad that I'm considering not hand taming Echo? She seems super, super stressed if I even put my hands in the cage, even if it's just to replace food. I don't want to make her sick like Hara, and she's got Fuji for affection and play. Is it bad to just let her be or do I need to hand train her?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was watching a movie and heard Judah wark off to the side; when I looked over he was hanging upside down from the top of his cage by his feet, looking vaguely bewildered about how the gently caress he got there in the first place :derptiel:

He successfully clambered over to his sleep perch and is now whistling and seeming proud of himself. Good job, bird.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Is it bad that I'm considering not hand taming Echo? She seems super, super stressed if I even put my hands in the cage, even if it's just to replace food. I don't want to make her sick like Hara, and she's got Fuji for affection and play. Is it bad to just let her be or do I need to hand train her?

I think you might be jumping the gun in thinking that you'll end up making her horribly sick, from stress.
How long have you had her now?
Does she ever seem interested in you, if you sit calmly beside the cage and speak softly? My budgies are pretty flighty for the most part. But they really like when I talk to them, and wink my eyes at them. They come sit close to me and wink back!

I think however tame you want your girl, is up to you. But with time, eventually she should come to accept routine things like changing feed/water cups without freaking out. Mine aren't really phased by that anymore. They even jump straight onto the seed cups in the morning, before it's even hooked onto the cage. That being said, for the most part, they still don't really enjoy being handled too much.

I've noticed it's been much harder to keep two birds tame than one. Milly was bonded to me before I got Pekoe, but now she's reverted back to being really shy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My dad raised a sparrow from ugly pink thing stage to fully grown and kept her as a pet for a few years. (He heard a plop next to him while gardening, saw a tiny pink sparrow on the ground... Picked it up and put it in the nest in the rafters it came from... Parents then proceed to shove it out of the nest again. Or that's how he told it :cheeky:) She was raised on Insectivore bird food as a babby, which you can buy in Australia at least from any bird vet, wildlife rehab places, and many regular vets. You just mix the powder with water and then feed it to babby bird on the reg on the tip of a spoon. It smells gross but sparrows love it. As she grew up she was happy to eat a mix of the Insectivore, people food, seeds, chopped fruit, etc, as well as iceblocks as a treat (her favourite food). She learnt to fly on her own and Dad thought about releasing her back into the wild but she kept 1) picking on much larger birds including cockies and crows 2) landing on cats and dogs and 3) flying into our house and neighbours' houses through open windows and helping herself to their dinner... So he figured it would be easier just to keep her.

She was very territorial, as a girl sparrow, and very possessive of my dad. She was very aggressive if you tried to invade her nest (which used to be the kitchen hand-towel. We had to remind visitors that it was no longer a hand-towel but a bird-towel). She loved showers and biting fingers and trying to infiltrate the freezer, which is the home of iceblocks. Once or twice she got trapped in the freezer for a couple of minutes... No harm done, just very grumpy afterwards (or more so than usual).

When she died she got buried in the garden with a grave marker like the favourite pet dogges. I'm pretty sure she was my dad's favouritest pet ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
One time she got out around sunset and didn't make it back home. She flew into a neighbour's house through an open window and started helping herself to their dinner and trying to make a nest in their tea-towels. They noticed her leg-band and put a notice up on the town noticeboard saying they'd found a "small brown canary".