Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Thump! posted:

Navy Seals killed the Vice President!? :ohdear:

If Joe Biden has been dead for five years that could explain some of the facial expressions I've seen him make on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Taxation is theft!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oneforthevine posted:

Taxation is theft!

At least he (presumably) still left a tip, unlike those loving bible tracts that look like a folded up $20.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Who What Now posted:

At least he (presumably) still left a tip, unlike those loving bible tracts that look like a folded up $20.

I says right there, he left a gift not a tip, jeez.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

oneforthevine posted:

Taxation is theft!

Do people think this smug Dale Gribble poo poo would actually hold up if someone noticed?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

This is beautiful. :allears:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't often save images, but this one is going to be kept for the next appropriate time. Thanks.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

oneforthevine posted:

Taxation is theft!

The Subtotal is $59.91, and I count four bills. This means that this guy probably left a tip of $1-20, minus tax ($7, let's say.) So, his tip is anywhere from $3-13 depending upon if he left a 20 or a 10. This, for what appears to be a two-person meal of some complexity.

From my over analysis of a stupid image, I conclude that libertarians are stingy assholes. I expect my nobel in the mail, thanks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Working service jobs I never got really angry unless someone either:

a.) completely stiffed me.

b.) gave me like below 2 dollars.

As long as that person gave me money? I'd have been okay with it. To add, I've had people tip me with a bible before and 10 bucks. It was incredibly thoughtful of them. I still have the bible with me to this day :unsmith:.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

From what I understand the people who make those advise you to give an actual tip along with the tract, since even they know not tipping would be a dick move that would just alienate people.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

hmm for some reason one of these pictures isn't an aerial photo, but just a ground photo of a single run-down building, I wonder why that is

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

oneforthevine posted:

Taxation is theft!

Turns out free market still allows you to fire wait staff who don't report tips, especially in businesses where tips are shared among staff.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'd wager money he deducted out the sales tax from the total before tipping gifting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tip sharing schemes are often scummy bullshit that allows the managers/owners to take a cut of tips though, so there are valid reasons for slipping waitstaff some money other than I am SMITH COMMA JOHN and I do not recognize your 'TAX CODES'.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Gounads posted:

I'd wager money he deducted out the sales tax from the total before tipping gifting.

That's what you're supposed to do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Watermelon City posted:

Do people think this smug Dale Gribble poo poo would actually hold up if someone noticed?

Yes, there is a certain subset of the population who believes in a form of legal alchemy, where if you combine the right words in the right order, you can invoke secret laws and basically bypass all sorts of things about the way people live. That one is pretty tame compared to the people who think that by using the correct phrases you can drive without a license or avoid going to jail or whatever else they try.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mlnhd posted:

Not the whole dollar of sales tax! :cry:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ashcans posted:

That one is pretty tame compared to the people who think that by using the correct phrases you can drive without a license or avoid going to jail or whatever else they try.
They're right, but they're wrong that they think the correct phrases involve a lot of capital letters, punctuation, and gold fringes, rather than "my dad is the County Judge" or "I am incredibly wealthy".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I exercise my right as a Free Citizen not to be subjected to the Tyranny of Illegal Taxation. In doing so, I-

:goonsay:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

shadowvine118 posted:

From what I understand the people who make those advise you to give an actual tip along with the tract, since even they know not tipping would be a dick move that would just alienate people.

But if you wasted your money on tips, how can you buy more tracts?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You report your credit card tips but nit your cash tips, this isn't hard people.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Yes, there is a certain subset of the population who believes in a form of legal alchemy, where if you combine the right words in the right order, you can invoke secret laws and basically bypass all sorts of things about the way people live. That one is pretty tame compared to the people who think that by using the correct phrases you can drive without a license or avoid going to jail or whatever else they try.
If you change your name to Freeman you actually become a free man immune to the restrictions of the state!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's true.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Yes, I'm sure the government had nothing to do with the rebuilding of Hiroshima, and I'm sure the private sector had nothing to do with Detroit's problems.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The United States federal government ought to fund the revitalization of Detroit. A good macro.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

mlnhd posted:

I meant like this...

Bill: $60
Tax: $3

Hmm.. I'm not paying taxes. So the bill is really $57. I'll tip $5 on that. $62 total. But I'll leave this note so they don't have to pay taxes and because of hosed up math they're doing better because of my awesome idea!

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

mlnhd posted:

Wait, what? I don't understand tipping despite being brought up in countries where that's a thing, but that seems like it adds a lot of thinking to "round(total*1.1 or 1.2 or something)". Is that really a standard thing?

e: I don't get weird forwards, so I can't offer content. Sorry, thread.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It wasn't a Facebook post or email, it was dinner conversation.

My husband and I are foster parents and just adopted our foster son yesterday. We have two bio kids and are aware of paternity leave options, which are absolutely required when someone goes through a C-section and can barely walk. But adoptions are a little different since he has been in our home already for 2 years and we aren't dealing with caring for someone after birth or anything, so we are struggling with the idea of taking paternity leave or not. I am all for it, I would love my husband and I to spend solid one-on-one time with our new legal family (even though nothing has really changed) but my husband is understandably concerned about taking so much time off of work. What can I say, we are Americans who have been drilled into our head to not accept "entitlements".

So after gathering all of the requirements and options from his company's HR office, we are now down to making a final decision if/when to take his leave. We had a Mother's Day dinner with local family and friends and the topic came up, and every single person at the table immediately tried to dissuade my husband from taking leave. "What will they think at your job?" "How will that reflect on your reputation?" which was all maddening coming from a group of folks who started trash-talking Donald Trump about 20 minutes into arriving in our home.

A few months ago, I mentioned in this thread that we were WIC eligible for free milk, formula, etc and we opted not to take it because we had plenty of income to cover it and y'all were quick to point out that those "entitlements" are there for a reason. I tried using that same logic to justify our considering paternity leave, but they were really hearing none of it. Just because something is there for you to take doesn't mean you need to use it. And in the case of WIC, they all firmly believed that because I didn't participate some other more worthy family was able to in my place.

Paternity leave in the US has plenty of issues - we only get 12 weeks, 6 of which are funded at 55% pay by the state and we'll have to pay for our portion of his benefits for the few weeks we do take off - but I think it's too valuable of a resource to pass up! My husband is meeting with his supervisor (who seems to be pretty laid back, and she takes yearly month-long trips to India for family visits so hopefully she'll get it) to go over their schedules and make sure it's even feasible, but the idea that this is some crazy notion only losers who don't care about their jobs would participate in really bums me out. I'm not asking a lot, a few weeks this summer to spend solid family time together going to the zoo and stuff.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

VorpalBunny posted:

My husband and I are foster parents and just adopted our foster son yesterday. We have two bio kids and are aware of paternity leave options, which are absolutely required when someone goes through a C-section and can barely walk. But adoptions are a little different since he has been in our home already for 2 years and we aren't dealing with caring for someone after birth or anything, so we are struggling with the idea of taking paternity leave or not. I am all for it, I would love my husband and I to spend solid one-on-one time with our new legal family (even though nothing has really changed) but my husband is understandably concerned about taking so much time off of work. What can I say, we are Americans who have been drilled into our head to not accept "entitlements".

So after gathering all of the requirements and options from his company's HR office, we are now down to making a final decision if/when to take his leave. We had a Mother's Day dinner with local family and friends and the topic came up, and every single person at the table immediately tried to dissuade my husband from taking leave. "What will they think at your job?" "How will that reflect on your reputation?" which was all maddening coming from a group of folks who started trash-talking Donald Trump about 20 minutes into arriving in our home.

A few months ago, I mentioned in this thread that we were WIC eligible for free milk, formula, etc and we opted not to take it because we had plenty of income to cover it and y'all were quick to point out that those "entitlements" are there for a reason. I tried using that same logic to justify our considering paternity leave, but they were really hearing none of it. Just because something is there for you to take doesn't mean you need to use it. And in the case of WIC, they all firmly believed that because I didn't participate some other more worthy family was able to in my place.

Paternity leave in the US has plenty of issues - we only get 12 weeks, 6 of which are funded at 55% pay by the state and we'll have to pay for our portion of his benefits for the few weeks we do take off - but I think it's too valuable of a resource to pass up! My husband is meeting with his supervisor (who seems to be pretty laid back, and she takes yearly month-long trips to India for family visits so hopefully she'll get it) to go over their schedules and make sure it's even feasible, but the idea that this is some crazy notion only losers who don't care about their jobs would participate in really bums me out. I'm not asking a lot, a few weeks this summer to spend solid family time together going to the zoo and stuff.

If your husband's employer is okay with it and he gets the leave approved, I wouldn't give a gently caress what anybody else thought.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VorpalBunny posted:

Loving your family and spending time with them? You piece of poo poo. Get back to work and earn your keep you lazy good for nothing who wants to show your children fun and loving experiences.

Shameful.

I bet your kids will grow up to love their families too. Disgusting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

VorpalBunny posted:

I tried using that same logic to justify our considering paternity leave, but they were really hearing none of it. Just because something is there for you to take doesn't mean you need to use it.

For people with this mindset, this is how I would characterize it:

Paternity leave is part of my employment benefits, which are given as a package instead of a higher base pay. Instead of getting paid more, I decided to take a position that had a lower base pay, but additional perks like providing health insurance (allowing me to benefit from better group rates) and the ability to take time off. These are not freebies or gifts that my job is giving me as a courtesy, it is part of my compensation for the work I do* every day of the week.

Now, let's ask if any of these people would give back 10% of their paycheck on the basis of 'just because something is there for you to take doesn't mean you need to use it'. If they pay all their bills in a month, do they ever consider giving some money back to their boss because they didn't 'need' it? If you had just had a kid and your job gave you a raise, would anyone decline it?

If not, why should you decline the benefits that are given in lieu of raw compensation? By not using them you are literally giving part of your hard-earned paycheck back to your employer on the basis that you 'don't need it'.

Tons of people get zero paternity leave beyond what might be required by FMLA, if you have it you should use every bit that you can afford to and will benefit your family. I was very lucky to get 2 and 4 weeks of paid leave when my kids were born, and you can bet that I took every day of that.

* work may include posting on SA.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Were your friends concerned about your husband taking leave when he didn't need to, or were they concerned that he would be putting his job at risk for taking it? Unfortunately the latter is a very real concern for a lot of people; they are allowed paid leave but are severely discouraged from actually taking it. This primarily applies to people with at-will employment where proving that you were fired for taking advantage of a benefit you were "offered" is all but impossible to prove. I know that I've been in jobs where any time I took time off I had such awful anxiety thinking about how I would lose my job over it I made myself sick to the point of vomiting. Even now that I'm in a better job that fear is still there when I put in a request for PTO (but this has more to do with my severe case of sadbrain than any reflection of reality).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Duck Man is going to nip this bathroom thing right in the bud. I'm waiting with bated breath to see the memes produced

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just got a post of an album which is called "if we were animals..."
The front page features a picture of a bunch of pregnant anime girls in a cow milking enclosure with the appropriate apparatus over the appropriate parts.

One comment notes "This art style leads me to believe this wasn't originally drawn for the purpose it's being used for right now"

The rest of the album is similar and has some :nms: poo poo so I'm not sharing it.

VV Forgot to mention it was on my FB and is shared by some vegan lady :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 10, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thanks for updating us on your porn habits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've seen that being shared around, as "if we were animals and animals were humans"

It's just a bunch of torture porn, and doesn't look in depth enough at the fact that all life on earth would be extinct because corvids would have nuclear weapons.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

If you and your husband have been employed by the same company for more than 1 year, and have worked more than 1250 hours in that year, and the conpany employs more than 50 people in a 75 mile area your leave is qualified under FMLA. Don't let people tell you it's a benefit, if it is under FMLA it your absolute right to take that you can take that leave for an adopted child (or other circumstances).

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SSNeoman posted:

One comment notes "This art style leads me to believe this wasn't originally drawn for the purpose it's being used for right now"

Did the chicks have 4 tits? If not, they weren't being anatomically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Vargatron posted:

Did the chicks have 4 tits? If not, they weren't being anatomically accurate.

Dude, that's way beyond even goonsay. I don't think the emoticon that would go with that has even been purchased yet.