Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugly John posted:

Obviously, SWORDCHUCKS would have solved all of these issues.

Welcome to Dorne
I like Swords
Welcome to Dorne
I like Swords

kiimo posted:

You need to drop Jamie out of that list the only swordfighters he's better than are Jack and poo poo and Jack left town.

Yeah, but then we should probably drop Brienne and several others too.

I mean if we really want we can come up with tiers but its kinda overthinking things?

God-tier
-------------
Dayne
Barristan
Mountain
Oberyn
Syrio

Good fighter tier
------------------
Jaime (two-hands)
Jorah
Drogo
Brienne
Areo
Bronn
Hound
Maybe Jon Snow
Halfhand
Loras

poo poo tier
----------------
Ramsay
Sand Snakes
Jaime (one-hand)
Everybody else

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ahem, I don't know if he "sword fights" like the plebes mentioned , but offer Jaqen any name on the list for the Red God and their poo poo is done.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Hound is cool and all but never struck me as being considered a legendary swordsman. Wasn't Robert a badass in his day? Rhaegar? Daario appears to be as well, at least on the show.

Robert was big and strong as gently caress and like all sons of great houses he was trained by an expert from childhood.

I still think you'd have to give more cred to the dudes who survived dozens or hundreds of fights in the pits. Daario would gently caress up some Westerosi knights. See: Bronn at Tyrion's trial. Or Oberyn at Tyrion's trial.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

QuoProQuid posted:

Cersei's uncle is cool and I hope he continues to give zero shits about Jaime/Cersei's vaguely concealed threats.

Not really sure what Kevan's game plan is, though. I assume he's going to do a whole lot of nothing until Tommen is inevitably held prisoner by the Faith which forces his hand? I mean it's all well and good if he doesn't give two shits about Cersei, but you'd think he's show a little bit more concern about the Queen being captured and the entire city having fallen out of royal control.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I also got the distinct impression Bronn thought he could take the Mountain, he just doesn't fight for people unless he has enough to gain, he's a nice enough guy but he's in it for himself.

Sydin posted:

Not really sure what Kevan's game plan is, though. I assume he's going to do a whole lot of nothing until Tommen is inevitably held prisoner by the Faith which forces his hand? I mean it's all well and good if he doesn't give two shits about Cersei, but you'd think he's show a little bit more concern about the Queen being captured and the entire city having fallen out of royal control.

He is meeting with the Queen's mom, he's definitely concerned.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

QuoProQuid posted:

I really hope the High Sparrow isn't Howland Reed. I want the High Sparrow to be exactly whom he claims to be: a nobody that used religious devotion to claw his way to relevancy. I liked his dynamic with Tommen this episode, and am going to be really sad when Tommen dies. He's a cute kid.

HS=HR is the worst theory, and nothing of value will be lost when the show kills it with fire.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I also got the distinct impression Bronn thought he could take the Mountain, he just doesn't fight for people unless he has enough to gain, he's a nice enough guy but he's in it for himself.

No, Bronn definitely made it out to be a huge longshot. He told Tyrion that maybe there was a single plan where he could win, if the stars aligned and he managed to fight the Mountain into being exhausted and then finish him, but he admitted that all it would take was one tiny little slipup, just get hit by the Mountain one time, and he's toast. It was a huge longshot.

Bronn's good but The Mountain's sheer strength puts him in the top tier of fighters by far. Even a prime-age Barristan would probably have a hard time with him, although it'd be closer than with Bronn.

Lycus posted:

HS=HR is the worst theory, and nothing of value will be lost when the show kills it with fire.

Agreed 100%. I even think the Daario = Euron theory is kinda cool (if probably wrong) but HS=HR is just dumb.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I even think the Daario = Euron theory is kinda cool (if probably wrong).

It would take some real ridiculous poo poo to make this theory correct, after episode 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blarzgh posted:

It would take some real ridiculous poo poo to make this theory correct, after episode 1.

Yeah there's just not really any way for the show to play the name game the way the books are. Either they cast the same actors and try to hide his face and its real obvious, or they cast a different actor and then later be like "oh hey it was the same guy with a moustache!" and the audience is upset and feels tricked because it was totally a different actor.

Even if the books end up going that direction the show may have split them just because I don't know how you play that game otherwise.

HS=HR is easier to get away with since we don't know what he looks like now, but it has no reason to exist and is a silly theory.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I want the High Sparrow to reveal himself for what he truly is: a man in a bird costume who flies around at night. Also he takes lots of drugs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Holy poo poo D.B. Weiss has some yellow teeth, dude looks like he never used a toothbrush once in his life.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vegetable posted:

idk but smalljon is just a really funny name

He's not the only Smalljon around.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Blacktoll posted:

I've never thought that Dawn actually glows, I thought it was because in Neds fever dream the apparition was standing out.

Am I wrong for wanting more great sword fighting?

Not at all. Different fighting styles could really break up what is kinda becoming monotonous combat scenes. It's probably part of why Oberyn's fight stands out so much. He's not standing in place and using a sword, he's doing cool flashy stuff and using a cool looking spear. Even Clegane in that fight is using what could be considered a great sword, but he uses it one-handed and not at all like a sword.

As for Dawn, I figure it was probably just more exaggeration by everyone. Like maybe it was just really well-polished or colored in some way. I dunno, I don't mind magic swords (Ice is cool and Longclaw is rad) and I don't really feel like it would take people out of the show.

As for dual-wielding, it absolutely has historical precedence, and was arguably more common among fencers than sword + shield (excluding the buckler, which was incredibly common and was essentially a weapon in its own way). However those particular swords being used are made to be gripped with two-hands, which is probably why the actor's attacks looked so wobbly and awkward.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I kinda hope SUPER FRIGHTENING ZOMBIE CLEGANE HOLY poo poo turns out to be loving useless in a fight and gets insta-whupped in the trial by combat. Like, just fumbling with his big stupid zombie fingers on his sword because Pycelle never bothered to check if he could actually remember how to fight a person and then BOOM gently caress there goes his head and Crippled Old Man Hound is like gently caress YEAH GIMME ALL THE CHICKENS I WILL. EAT. THOSE. loving. CHICKENS.

Which is exactly how it would go in real life because I LARP super real sword fighting techniques with a group of wheezing programmers in a basement and once read the Wikipedia article on Johannes Lichtenauer while taking a poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

Actually the creepy old dead khal wife lady said ALL the khalesars were gathered in Vaes Dothrak for some kind of crrrrazy party and that they are going to decide what to do with her. I am guessing that the moment she gets threatened Drogon is going to swoop down and they're going to declare her khaleesi to all dothraki because of her wizard flying horse. Some khals are going to disagree. They will burn.

Deus Ex Drogona

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Hey man Dorne wasn't even that great in the books so whatever, I just want loving Dany to finally you know, DO SOMETHING WITH HER GODDAMN DRAGONS, gently caress

The dragons she can hardly control?

Lycus posted:

He exited north, didn't he? I think he's been burned and has had it with uniting humans right now, and wants to try to kill the Night's King on his own.

The only exit north is the big rear end fuckin' tunnel. He went south.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Welcome to Dorne
I like Swords
Welcome to Dorne
I like Swords

Yeah, but then we should probably drop Brienne and several others too.

I mean if we really want we can come up with tiers but its kinda overthinking things?

God-tier
-------------
Dayne
Barristan
Mountain
Oberyn
Syrio

Good fighter tier
------------------
Jaime (two-hands)
Jorah
Drogo
Brienne
Areo
Bronn
Hound
Maybe Jon Snow
Halfhand
Loras

poo poo tier
----------------
Ramsay
Sand Snakes
Jaime (one-hand)
Everybody else

#1 Wun Wun

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

The dragons she can hardly control?

Which at this point is obviously because Dany doesn't know poo poo about dragons and doesn't have the proper respect for them. These are, as we can see, adult dragons now who understand not only little words and phrases, but probably all human expression. Imagine how loving condescending it seems to them when she talks to them like they're little dogs who can only parse out a few words and commands when really they can totally understand full, entire sentences. Tyrion has cracked the code in a way that Dany just hasn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

As for dual-wielding, it absolutely has historical precedence, and was arguably more common among fencers than sword + shield (excluding the buckler, which was incredibly common and was essentially a weapon in its own way). However those particular swords being used are made to be gripped with two-hands, which is probably why the actor's attacks looked so wobbly and awkward.

Do you have any evidence of that? Parrying daggers were common but those don't count, that's an entirely different thing from two longswords. (Or worse, two bastard swords)

Two weapon fighting is sometimes called 'florentine style' but that's been traced to a misnomer. I really think it was apocryphal, like flails which likely didn't exist or were only used very rarely by people who were showing off. Historians disagree on some of these things but if two-weapon fighting was at all historical, it was at the very least extremely rare.

kiimo posted:

#1 Wun Wun

I left him off the list because he's not a swordfighter, but you're right Wun Wun should be god-tier even if he's fighting bare handed.

Wun Wun should be Azor Ahai.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Has Jon actually left the wall? I mean he stalked off under an archway or something but I figured he was going to go pack his poo poo up and figure out what to do, not leave immediately (after getting rid of his nice warm cloak).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This is probably a moronic question, but I only started watching this season with my boyfriend, so I'm completely stupid newbie tier and can only remember the names of a few characters at this point. In the first episode, there were two guys looking for Danerys(?), and one of them looked like his one arm was turning to stone.

Is that a curse or something he got? Can't remember his name (I want to say Theon, but that's the guy that got castrated, I think) or I'd look up his entry on a GoT wiki. That chart in the OP with who's who and where they're from is pretty helpful, but I feel like I need to school myself so I can stop asking 'who's he again?' and having to stop the episode for my BF to explain it. Show seems pretty darn densely packed.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is probably a moronic question, but I only started watching this season with my boyfriend, so I'm completely stupid newbie tier and can only remember the names of a few characters at this point. In the first episode, there were two guys looking for Danerys(?), and one of them looked like his one arm was turning to stone.

Is that a curse or something he got? Can't remember his name (I want to say Theon, but that's the guy that got castrated, I think) or I'd look up his entry on a GoT wiki. That chart in the OP with who's who and where they're from is pretty helpful, but I feel like I need to school myself so I can stop asking 'who's he again?' and having to stop the episode for my BF to explain it. Show seems pretty darn densely packed.

That's Jorah Mormont of Bear Island and his rear end got Grayscale (fantasy leprosy) when he was in Old Valyria with Tyrion. He used to hang out with Daenarys before she gave him the boot because of his creeper Nice Guy poo poo. You're welcome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah he's doomed. He's going to turn into a mindless rock golem. Seriously. One of them touched him and he's got it.

Also watch, from the beginning, with subtitles. It's worth it. Except for the Sand Snakes.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Jaime has a massive ego and was regarded as one of the best swordsmen in Westeros. He personally trained and fought with Dayne/Barristan and it would probably take someone of that level to beat him in single combat. I don't know if I'd say he was terrified of the Hound in the books but he was certainly very concerned about the prospects of fighting him, citing how large, skilled, brutal and fast he was. If Jaime says the Hound is a badass then he is just that.

Also after Jaime and Brienne fought in SoS she admitted in her PoV that she was barely hanging on despite him basically being emaciated and shackled and that if neither were the case she'd be dead. Jaime was goddamn good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kiimo posted:

Yeah he's doomed. He's going to turn into a mindless rock golem. Seriously. One of them touched him and he's got it.

I just realized he got branded with the darksign and now he's going to go hollow.

:haw:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is that a curse or something he got? Can't remember his name

He's Jorah Mormont, disgraced knight and Leader of the DanyFans. The grey shizz on his arm is Greyscale, which is basically Game of Thrones leprosy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Robot Mil posted:

Has Jon actually left the wall? I mean he stalked off under an archway or something but I figured he was going to go pack his poo poo up and figure out what to do, not leave immediately (after getting rid of his nice warm cloak).

He hasn't yet but he's indicated that's what he's doing right away. The only reason he hasn't is because the episode didn't have time to show him doing what he's doing next.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just realized he got branded with the darksign and now he's going to go hollow.

:haw:

Bearer, seek, seek, lest

NomChompsky posted:

That's Jorah Mormont of Bear Island and his rear end got Grayscale (fantasy leprosy) when he was in Old Valyria with Tyrion. He used to hang out with Daenarys before she gave him the boot because of his creeper Nice Guy poo poo. You're welcome.

He better not give fantasy leprosy to Danny is all I'm saying.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

MG3 posted:

I think it's weird how happy some people are olly is dead. I felt sorry for him.

I think his plotline was another attempt at subverting fantasy tropes, in this case the one where a child loses his parents, makes the audience root for him, and goes on a heroic journey. But to me it ended up just another sad story about what violence and psychic trauma do to a kid and cause him to do in turn. I was hoping for something other than either execution or straight up forgiveness, neither really seemed just. I feel bad for Jon too, if he hasn't changed too much then I wouldn't be surprised if part of him feels he failed Olly. Just sad all around.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

He hasn't yet but he's indicated that's what he's doing right away. The only reason he hasn't is because the episode didn't have time to show him doing what he's doing next.

Packsposition.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is Sam and his family substory of any importance or relevance with the rest of the plot at this point?
I am mostly trying to think if there was something special about their baby or if there was some message that Sam would deliver to someone ... but I got nothing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Is Sam and his family substory of any importance or relevance with the rest of the plot at this point?
I am mostly trying to think if there was something special about their baby or if there was some message that Sam would deliver to someone ... but I got nothing.

Sam is basically GRRM's self-insert character and he's going to end up writing A Song of Ice and Fire to chronicle Jon Snow's tale after he dies.

But nah, other than being Jon's friend and knowing that white walkers are vulnerable to obsidian (maybe he'll tell the maesters and get everybody united under Jon or something) he's worthless.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

At this point it's probably just because he's heading to Old Town, which is part of the Reach, which is where his family is from. So it's a matter of convenience. "Here hang on to this lady and her baby while i go to Hogwarts. Also gently caress you dad."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have any evidence of that? Parrying daggers were common but those don't count, that's an entirely different thing from two longswords. (Or worse, two bastard swords)

Two weapon fighting is sometimes called 'florentine style' but that's been traced to a misnomer. I really think it was apocryphal, like flails which likely didn't exist or were only used very rarely by people who were showing off. Historians disagree on some of these things but if two-weapon fighting was at all historical, it was at the very least extremely rare.

I left him off the list because he's not a swordfighter, but you're right Wun Wun should be god-tier even if he's fighting bare handed.

Wun Wun should be Azor Ahai.

I think we're in agreement here. I'm not saying dual-wielding with two long-bladed weapons was a thing (at least in European systems) , but dual-wielding with a long-bladed sword and a smaller weapon (a dagger, a buckler, a sickle, etc) was very common, although perhaps not as much as using a single weapon. Rapier treatises for example go into explicit detail on how you should master the rapier by itself before adding another weapon to the mix. There is no real difference between "bastard swords" and "longswords". Historical examples show similar blade lengths, grip lengths, blade geometry, weight, etc.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

NomChompsky posted:

He was doing creeper nice guy poo poo, but didn't he actually get the boot for orchestrating and then ultimately foiling her assassination attempt?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Sam is basically GRRM's self-insert character and he's going to end up becoming a motherfucking wizard when he realizes magic is back and gets a valyrian chain link from the maester's citadel.

Sorry had to edit your post a bit.

He was doing creeper nice guy poo poo, but didn't he actually get the boot for orchestrating and then ultimately foiling her assassination attempt?

Yeah.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah sure I'm grossly misusing terms because I said phalanx instead of testudo

Testudo is not what you think it means.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Testudo is not what you think it means.

Testudo just means "tortoise" and it was the word the Roman's used to describe that thing you do when you have your soldiers put shields over their head to protect them from projectiles, which is something every shield-bearing army in the history of loving forever has done and just because the Roman's did it and had a dumb name for it doesn't make it special. Also there were no Romans in Game of Thrones.

PS I'm not trying to fight you if I come off as snippy but my god this HEMA poo poo gets so boring in game of thrones threads.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

I don't know, Daario beheads a bunch of tough mercenary leaders and then shows off in front of Dany and her entire army, he has the flashiest actual fight scene in the whole series. Selmy actually made it to old age and only got taken down in a 15 v 1 scenario in an alley, which is pretty good when compared with some guy getting ganked by a teenager in the last episode. Also,

Why do you keep bringing up Selmy when I have him listed in my top 3?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

NomChompsky posted:

Testudo just means "tortoise" and it was the word the Roman's used to describe that thing you do when you have your soldiers put shields over their head to protect them from projectiles, which is something every shield-bearing army in the history of loving forever has done and just because the Roman's did it and had a dumb name for it doesn't make it special. Also there were no Romans in Game of Thrones.

That's not what it means.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=latin+to+english+testudo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Outside of the scene this episode with the harpy woman and the scene with Shae at the end of season 3, has Varys had any scenes alone or not with someone in the principle cast?

• Locked thread