Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

It's not, definitely get a different card and don't pay the annual fee.

If it's reliable, chip/PIN, and has some amount of rewards I can wring out of it without a lot of hassle, it might be worth the 90 bucks. I travel internationally at least every couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

slap me silly posted:

If it's reliable, chip/PIN, and has some amount of rewards I can wring out of it without a lot of hassle, it might be worth the 90 bucks. I travel internationally at least every couple of years.

I think Barclay has a reputation for waiving the fee or giving a credit with that card, so long as you're putting a decent amount of spend on it. I'm on my phone though and don't feel like digging on FT to confirm.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Arrival+ is pretty much bottom tier now after the decrease in refunded points upon redemption as well as the raise in the minimum redemption amount. If it had no AF it might still be considered decent if not good, but you can do a lot better with a variety of other cards that cost nothing.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

triple sulk posted:

The Arrival+ is pretty much bottom tier now after the decrease in refunded points upon redemption as well as the raise in the minimum redemption amount. If it had no AF it might still be considered decent if not good, but you can do a lot better with a variety of other cards that cost nothing.

This argument never made sense to me. The difference between 2.1% and 2.05% is minuscule and the redemption threshold is an annoyance and yet peoples opinion, mostly the bloggers, went from raving about it to hating it. I guess they could just hate stuff being taken away, but my guess is that Barclay substantially lowered the amount they got for signups instead. The card has pretty much always been meh since the rise of easy 2% cash back cards.

slap me silly posted:

There are plenty of cards with similar features that you could rotate though on a yearly basis to rack up some signup bonuses and keep AF free assuming that Barclay won't waive it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How about visa debit cards with chips? Do those have true chip+pin?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

There are plenty of cards with similar features that you could rotate though on a yearly basis to rack up some signup bonuses and keep AF free assuming that Barclay won't waive it.
No doubt, but this is precisely the sort of game I can't be arsed to play. Wouldn't be bothering with this in the first place if my current card didn't keep getting declined for no good reason in the the last year or two.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have a Visa Signature with Regions bank (where I also have my checking and savings accounts). I opened the account about 2 years ago in a credit rebuilding phase, and I don't really use the card. I'm not quite ready yet to close it as I'm still enjoying the lower overall util. ratio I get by having it open. Does anyone know if they are likely to close the card for lack of use, or if my existing banking relationship would be enough to leave it open?

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

gregday posted:

I have a Visa Signature with Regions bank (where I also have my checking and savings accounts). I opened the account about 2 years ago in a credit rebuilding phase, and I don't really use the card. I'm not quite ready yet to close it as I'm still enjoying the lower overall util. ratio I get by having it open. Does anyone know if they are likely to close the card for lack of use, or if my existing banking relationship would be enough to leave it open?

I've had a low interest (but poor rewards) credit card with my credit union that has no activity on in, like, 5 years or something. I just got a new chip card from them. Most people recommend putting a small recurring charge (like Netflix) on a card to make sure it doesn't get shut down, but I don't think it's as big of a deal when you have other active relationships with the institution.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rated PG-34 posted:

How about visa debit cards with chips? Do those have true chip+pin?
If it's from a US bank probably not - debit chip and pin works by sending the PIN to the bank over the wire, and the issuer checks it and either allows or rejects the transaction. In EMV chip and pin, the pin is stored on the card and does not need to be sent over the wire (this allows for offline validation).

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

wyoak posted:

If it's from a US bank probably not - debit chip and pin works by sending the PIN to the bank over the wire, and the issuer checks it and either allows or rejects the transaction. In EMV chip and pin, the pin is stored on the card and does not need to be sent over the wire (this allows for offline validation).

Not exactly.

PIN for mag stripe and EMV work the same way - they are both validated "online" by the card issuers. In some markets, offline PIN is also a CVM option for EMV, but this is becoming very rare, and is subject to transaction dollar amount limits due to increased likelihood of fraud.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
New 100k platinum offer from Amex. Very tempting to get that plus a card for my wife. Can I use the 200 fee credit to buy stickers on AA?

The points are tempting, but travel wise I already get lounge access on international travel and already have Global Entry. Missing part is hotel and car status, but meh, I'd have them if I really wanted them.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
god mother loving dammit

e: I JUST got the Mercedes-Benz 75k points offer and there's no way I can (responsibly) do 6k spend in 3 months if I apply for the 100k non-MB card. :(

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 10, 2016

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

god mother loving dammit

e: I JUST got the Mercedes-Benz 75k points offer and there's no way I can (responsibly) do 6k spend in 3 months if I apply for the 100k non-MB card. :(

Welp, don't worry too much, the links from yesterday are already showing as expired. I'll jump on the next one if there is one I guess.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Sort of related:

Anyone ever done a big damage protection claim as a benefit of a card? I've done some small claims with two different cards before (Chase lost item, Citi missed event) but both were under $100. I had a couple large purchases ($1000+) in the last month that were damaged in a bike accident last week. How was the process?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FunOne posted:

New 100k platinum offer from Amex. Very tempting to get that plus a card for my wife. Can I use the 200 fee credit to buy stickers on AA?
When I tried this once, it did not work for me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Amex is dead. :(

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm a student, senior (sticking around the same school for one more year to do a master's), looking for a credit card to start building credit. Signed up for Credit Karma, and my score is 629 TransUnion/671 Equifax, which seems to be okay for someone with only some student loans. I took a year off for health reasons and made timely payments before going back, so I suppose that's why I even have a history; the dings seem to be short history, few accounts, and no actual credit. My only hard pull is my credit check for grad school loans, and I didn't need a cosigner. I don't need a certain score right away or anything, my apartment lease didn't do a check and I'm certainly not in the market for any big purchases in the next few years, but I probably will at some point in the next decade, so might as well start now. I was thinking I could get a credit card from somewhere, put my Spotify payments, groceries, and other things on it, and pay it off every month. I'm just using my debit card so it seems like a waste to not build credit now.

My current bank is Bank of America for checking (I have one of those old online only accounts) and they keep sending me preapproval offers for this card, Bank Americard Cash Rewards: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credi...k-credit-card/. I don't drive but cash back on groceries sounds nice even if it's a pittance and no fee is great.

I know from reading a bit of the thread that the Chase Freedom card is good for first-timers. Chase Slate seems better (free monthly FICO :v:) because I don't plan on spending $500 right away when I get the card just for the bonus. I am probably missing something though.

Rewards-wise, I'm not entirely sure what I want. My base for the foreseeable future is the Boston area, so Logan would be my home airport. I plan on flying back to Houston where family is at least once a year and I do it on Southwest, so something that could give me points there would be nice. I have plans not too far into the future to visit Canada, Sweden, and Vietnam (family, probably in the next three or four years spread out) so chip and pin would be great and maybe miles on an airline that could go to all those places + Houston but that seems like a lot to ask for (I also have vague plans of visiting Istanbul and other European countries when I'm in Sweden but probably not the greatest idea at this moment in time). I think I'd probably prefer miles over cash back in the long run (both would be lovely :v:) but I don't even know if I could spend enough to amass enough points for miles on an airline by the time I go and also have no idea where to start looking other than the Credit Karma listings.

So I guess my questions are:
- What card should I get or you guys can steer me towards given all the above? Hard requirements are no annual fee and at least $500 limit for emergencies. If rewards are miles, something that can be used with Southwest at least, hopefully internationally (I have no idea what airlines are good to Canada/Sweden/Vietnam).
- What's a balance transfer fee? Transferring the balance of another card onto the current one (like to take advantage of a low introductory APR or something)? Not applicable to me but I just want to make sure I don't get dinged for anything.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Miles cards generally only make sense on top of existing travel. If you already travel for work with Delta then also get the Delta credit card kind of thing. Plus, you're not going to put 200-400k of spend onto one of those cards to generate the required mileage to get the awards you're talking about.

Honestly, the easiest would be the BofA Travel card, chip, no fee, 1.5points/dollar, points are worth 1 cent against travel expenses, so effectively a 1.5% card, this goes up the more $ you have at BofA. Plus it'd be on your current BofA login for moving money around and keeping track of spend. You'd be able to credit those points against purchasing any ticket you buy, so airline wouldn't matter.

I'm sure they've got some special where you get a boat load of points to start with as well with some immediate spend.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you don't spend $500 in 3 months for the Freedom then you aren't going to spend enough on pretty much any credit card to rack of miles or points for anything. The way to get a lot of miles or points is to either spend a ridiculous amount, 100k+, or get a sign up bonus and the majority of those are $3k in 3 months.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I calculated it out and if I put every purchase (groceries, subscriptions, etc) on my new credit card I could definitely swing the Chase Freedom intro offer and get really close to the BoA Travel offer (I'd be like ~$100 short but my Surface needs a new keyboard anyway). I have the cash, I guess part of me is just wary of doing all credit. Which is dumb because I know credit cards get more protection than debit, but that's how my brain goes.

BoA Travel and Travel for Students seem identical reward-wise, but I'd probably be way more likely to be approved if I apply for the latter, right? Any downsides?

And I wasn't expecting a ton of points/miles, but it would have been nice in the long run. With BoA Travel I would get enough to not actually pay anything other than the traveler's fee for my yearly flight to and from Houston, which is great.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

BoA Travel and Travel for Students seem identical reward-wise, but I'd probably be way more likely to be approved if I apply for the latter, right? Any downsides?

Apply for the normal one and if you get rejected then tell the reconsideration number to consider the student version. They should do that automatically anyway, at least that is what they told me the brief time I worked there.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Does anyone have any experience with the new Charles Schwab cards from American Express? I'm eying the 1.5% cash back card. The rewards obviously aren't best in class, but I've been really happy with my other Schwab accounts, and feel like it'd be nice to have all of my accounts in one place.

More importantly, how widely accepted is Am Ex? I've never had a card issued by anyone other than Visa before. In 2016 are there still places in the United States that won't take these?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Possible Dumb Question: The Citi Double Cash Rewards information packet they sent me mentions that one of the benefits is a "free pass on your first late fee."

Why are there late fees on a credit card? Wouldn't they just charge the APR? Does this just mean that if you miss the first payment date that they won't apply the APR?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Possible Dumb Question: The Citi Double Cash Rewards information packet they sent me mentions that one of the benefits is a "free pass on your first late fee."

Why are there late fees on a credit card? Wouldn't they just charge the APR? Does this just mean that if you miss the first payment date that they won't apply the APR?

APR is applied if you don't pay the bill in full by the due date. A late fee is applied if you miss the minimum payment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

asur posted:

APR is applied if you don't pay the bill in full by the due date. A late fee is applied if you miss the minimum payment.

Duh. Somehow I didn't think of that.

Thanks.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Blakkout posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the new Charles Schwab cards from American Express? I'm eying the 1.5% cash back card. The rewards obviously aren't best in class, but I've been really happy with my other Schwab accounts, and feel like it'd be nice to have all of my accounts in one place.

More importantly, how widely accepted is Am Ex? I've never had a card issued by anyone other than Visa before. In 2016 are there still places in the United States that won't take these?

AmEx is my favorite issuer and I tend to make pretty heavy use of them. I rarely run into a place that won't take my AmEx - and yet, it does still happen on occasion. It's usually a smaller family-owned shop or restaurant; most bigger places accept it (as do most smaller places, really).

If you can only carry one card, it probably shouldn't be an American Express. I carry several cards so it's not a problem for me - on the rare occasion I get turned away, I pay with something else.

becoming fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 18, 2016

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Amex charges the highest merchant fees, so thats why small mom/pop places that are running close to the bone don't take them. I just carry a minimum of two cards (actually more like 4 credit cards plus a shitload of gift cards these days!)

Fidelity is replacing its no-fee amex 2% card with a 2% visa btw, just in time for the costco cutover.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Also I think the Schwab cards are Amex-issued, not just Amex network like Fidelity. I assume you would still be paying through the Amex website or app by ACH, not like paying a Chase card from your Chase checking.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Also depends where you're at. Small 1500 person town a few hours outside the city that isn't a tourist spot? Bring a backup or some cash. Otherwise most every place in the city/suburbs take Amex, and unless it's an amazing place, I just don't go back again if they don't.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In the Twin Cities area, when Delta (with an Amex rewards card) bought hometown airline Northwest (not-Amex rewards card) a bunch of new merchants started accepting Amex because there were enough people with airline cards for it to make a difference.

Just a fun little anecdote about Amex acceptance.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Though I just shelled out a bunch of money this week for vet bills and a home inspection and neither of them took amex :negative:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Though I just shelled out a bunch of money this week for vet bills and a home inspection and neither of them took amex :negative:

I bought a bed and a recliner of course neither shop took amex. I have to live with the slightly lesser rewards on the visa.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I thought Southwest was down to offering 25k points per card, but if I log into my Rapid Rewards account, it offers both 50k cards.

e: guess that's for everyone again.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 20, 2016

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
My new United Mileage Plus Explorer comes in the mail in a week. Is there a gimmick with Mileage Plus X to meet the spending requirement and eek out some extra value?

Edit: Buy Amazon gift cards for +2 mi/$1 in the app and then the +2 mi/$1 from the credit card itself?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 21, 2016

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Blinkman987 posted:

My new United Mileage Plus Explorer comes in the mail in a week. Is there a gimmick with Mileage Plus X to meet the spending requirement and eek out some extra value?

Edit: Buy Amazon gift cards for +2 mi/$1 in the app and then the +2 mi/$1 from the credit card itself?
I don't think you get 2 mi/$1 for MPX spend on the Mileage Plus card, but you will get a 25% bonus regardless of what card you pay on.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Thanks. Found this as well, and can easily replace MileagePlus Shopping with whatever portal I want to use.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been using the Citi Doublecash as my only credit card for over a year now but I have a couple large purchases coming up in the near future and think it would be a good time to expand into a travel card. From reading around a bit it seems like the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be good if I can hit the sign up bonus (plus it looks soooo sexy) but I've also read some things about how it works best with a Freedom card (or freedom unlimited)? Is that true or is it fine to use the CSP alone as a main card? Should I get two? Or three? Hard not to fall down the rabbit hole

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 22, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Virtue posted:

I've been using the Citi Doublecash as my only credit card for over a year now but I have a couple large purchases coming up in the near future and think it would be a good time to expand into a travel card. From reading around a bit it seems like the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be good if I can hit the sign up bonus (plus it looks soooo sexy) but I've also read some things about how it works best with a Freedom card (or freedom unlimited)? Is that true or is it fine to use the CSP alone as a main card? Should I get two? Or three? Hard not to fall down the rabbit hole

The CSP is likely (but not definitely!) a good first travel rewards card for you to branch out into, and the Freedom would be a good card to pair it with if you want to get a second (not so sure about the Freedom Unlimited, personally...maybe someone else here is?).

Here are some reasons to get the CSP+Freedom:
  • Applying for, meeting the minimum spend on, and adding an authorized user to both cards will net you 50K+5K+4K+15K+2.5K+.5K=77K UR points, which you can do a lot with
  • You have a specific, large scale redemption that you know you want to spend those points on
  • You don't have a specific, large scale redemption in mind, but you know that some of the point transfer partners work really well for you (e.g. you want to take a lot of domestic flights on United)
  • You value the best-in-class trip protection that comes for any travel booked with the CSP
  • You're going to be diligent about registering your Freedom for the quarterly 5% category bonuses
  • Chase has been tightening up on card approvals, often shutting out people who have applied for 5+ cards in the past 24 months, so it's better to get these sooner rather than later

Here are some reasons to maybe not get these cards, at least right now:
  • You're planning on mainly using your UR points to transfer to British Airways Avios or Southwest Rapid Rewards. If you know this is how you want to redeem points, you may want to apply for Chase's BA or Southwest cards
  • You want to fly Delta a bunch. You should instead be exploring Amex cards.
  • If you're only planning on applying for a couple cards right now, you'll still have a cushion within the Chase 5/24 rule

If you want to post a little more info about what your travel goals are, we can help you decide for certain whether this is the best option for you.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 22, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

The CSP is likely (but not definitely!) a good first travel rewards card for you to branch out into, and the Freedom would be a good card to pair it with if you want to get a second (not so sure about the Freedom Unlimited, personally...maybe someone else here is?).

Here are some reasons to get the CSP+Freedom:
  • Applying for, meeting the minimum spend on, and adding an authorized user to both cards will net you 50K+5K+4K+15K+2.5K+.5K=77K UR points, which you can do a lot with
  • You have a specific, large scale redemption that you know you want to spend those points on
  • You don't have a specific, large scale redemption in mind, but you know that some of the point transfer partners work really well for you (e.g. you want to take a lot of domestic flights on United)
  • You value the best-in-class trip protection that comes for any travel booked with the CSP
  • You're going to be diligent about registering your Freedom for the quarterly 5% category bonuses
  • Chase has been tightening up on card approvals, often shutting out people who have applied for 5+ cards in the past 24 months, so it's better to get these sooner rather than later

Here are some reasons to maybe not get these cards, at least right now:
  • You're planning on mainly using your UR points to transfer to British Airways Avios or Southwest Rapid Rewards. If you know this is how you want to redeem points, you may want to apply for Chase's BA or Southwest cards
  • You want to fly Delta a bunch. You should instead be exploring Amex cards.
  • If you're only planning on applying for a couple cards right now, you'll still have a cushion within the Chase 5/24 rule

If you want to post a little more info about what your travel goals are, we can help you decide for certain whether this is the best option for you.

I travel US domestic for work ~1-2 times a year so being able to use points to upgrade to first for some of the longer flights would be nice. I also try to travel internationally for vacation once every year or two, primarily to Asia but I'd like to hit Europe eventually. In the past I've used mostly Delta and United with no real preference either way so I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to stop using Delta/British Airways/Southwest. Googled the 5/24 rule and don't think it will be a problem since I'm only looking at 2 or 3 chase cards right now (CSP, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited). Remembering to check up on the quarterly 5% category bonus is doable -- it will probably just go on my calendar.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You want to use personal miles that you can (and should) use for vacation to upgrade your domestic work flights?