Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The pantheon in FFXIII is generic Gnosticism with a critical head injury.

Hm, I can kinda see that. I never thought of it that way because the whole "Bhunivelze can't see souls" thing obviously doesn't come up until the third game. There isn't really a big distinction between the physical and spiritual realms in XIII or XIII-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

In Training posted:

I think it's like SMT1 where you kill YHWH, and is part of the reason NOA refused to touch it and the series took a long time to make its way overseas.

You're thinking of SMT2, beating up the archangels Uriel, Gabriel and Raphael is the closest you get in the first one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kanfy posted:

You're thinking of SMT2, beating up the archangels Uriel, Gabriel and Raphael is the closest you get in the first one.

Also we're going to beat up YHVH again in the upcoming SMTIV:Apocalypse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

The list of games where you kill god with a capital G is like Xenogears and maybe one of the SMT games.
Dragon Quest 7, in the postgame. And after you beat him up enough he comes and lives in your village. But that theology was just "God and the Demon Lord fighting over poo poo" so it's not like the God, but he's the singular God of that universe and he's an old bearded guy so I'm counting it :colbert:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

Also we're going to beat up YHVH again in the upcoming SMTIV:Apocalypse.

I hope he's still a giant head. Lex Luthor the Destroyer of Worlds.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
No mention of The Final Fantasy Legend? You murder God with a chainsaw after he tells you your entire adventure was a sad joke with no meaning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And let's not pretend like Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism/Hinduism have not in the past held roles of authority and had firm hierarchies and corruption and power-grabs and poo poo like that. Religion + government power = fuckery. Given the cycle of death in Spira is sort of a grimdark interpretation of death and reincarnation within Eastern tradition and the main character is awakened (or, say, enlightened) from a dream world, after which he finds himself protecting a sage on a long pilgrimage to save the entire world from suffering. It's like a Journey to the West meets Godzilla and Grave of the Fireflies.

Yeah, it's very eastern instead of western is what I was driving at.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
wasn't there a goon poster who was adamant that ff9 was a rip off of journey to the west

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Morden posted:

wasn't there a goon poster who was adamant that ff9 was a rip off of journey to the west

Dragonball Z actually.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

ImpAtom posted:

Dragonball Z actually.

which saga

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Saiyan.

What a card!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

General Morden posted:

It's important to note that when it was pointed out that both draw inspiration from journey to the west, said poster denied this and said "no no, FF9 is a rip-off of dbz"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Saiyan.

What a card!

Which is crazy because Kuja is Zidan's brother, but he doesn't die at the start of the game, but he's too hot to be Vegeta.

It's an awful comparison from every direction.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Would someone be kind enough to dredge up what page/s that took place in?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Would someone be kind enough to dredge up what page/s that took place in?

Here you go.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So he seems to think the game more or less took a nosedive come Disk 3. That at least isn't a completely rare opinion. A lot of people seem to think Disk 3 and on of FFIX is noticeably worse than the first two.

I never really understood why but I've read it often enough.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CeallaSo posted:

No mention of The Final Fantasy Legend? You murder God with a chainsaw after he tells you your entire adventure was a sad joke with no meaning.
No, no, that was "The Creator". Different guy.

(Seriously though, was he God or did he just create the Tower that everyone lived in?)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So he seems to think the game more or less took a nosedive come Disk 3. That at least isn't a completely rare opinion. A lot of people seem to think Disk 3 and on of FFIX is noticeably worse than the first two.

I never really understood why but I've read it often enough.

But disk 3 has all the pay off and conclusion for everyone's character arcs? It's honestly the best part of that game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But disk 3 has all the pay off and conclusion for everyone's character arcs? It's honestly the best part of that game.

Even Freya's?

But I'm not arguing with you. I like Disk 3 just fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Even Freya's?

But I'm not arguing with you. I like Disk 3 just fine.

Freya and Armarant kinda get lumped in together starting in disk 3. In Treno you can get his backstory and see exactly why he's so focused on Zidane and how one little meeting with Zidane changed the course of his life and that gets mirrored by Freya's growth and dialogue.

It's not much, mostly because Freya is very much underwritten past Clerya's destruction, but what's there is still pretty good.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You guys are reminding me of the massive shame I feel for never finishing IX. I always peter out somewhere in disc 2, probably tried to finish the game half a dozen times.

It isn't bad, I recommend it to friends looking for JRPGs... Something about the first half just doesn't hook me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFIX starts out as Blade Runner, then becomes Melancholia.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
9 starts off really strong, so while I do think Disc 3 and 4 are slightly weaker, they're still pretty great. I could see some frustration coming from the Desert Palace and forced Quina sections of Disc 3. It also starts off with Tetra Master and I know a lot of people gate that.

As someone who liked Quina and had Level 5 Death for the Desert Palace, I had none of these problems.

One of the Roos is my low point, I think Fossil Roo? I don't remember liking either though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pichupal posted:

One of the Roos is my low point, I think Fossil Roo? I don't remember liking either though.

I looooove the Gargan Roo music.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I never made it past disc three in FF IX, but that's not really disc three's fault so much as it is due to disc one and two just taking forever. IX really could have benefitted from some tighter pacing. The bad loading times on the PSX didn't help either.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I never made it past disc three in FF IX, but that's not really disc three's fault so much as it is due to disc one and two just taking forever. IX really could have benefitted from some tighter pacing. The bad loading times on the PSX didn't help either.

FF9 PC is right there with it's fast load times and it's X5 speed up all for you.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hey guys FFX HD PC is out in a couple of days, no biggie

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359870/

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
No price yet but it seems to come with Japanese audio and gameplay boosters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tempo 119 posted:

So that's, what, all the mainline FF's on Steam now besides 1, 2, and 12?

e: And all the sequels too (besides Revenant Wings and the FF5 anime but who even remembers those two exist anyway)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 10, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder why the first game isn't on Steam yet? II has issues and I do love that clunky game, but you figured the original would got ported from the PSP one that on IOS/Android ages ago?

That said, I would love if they gave you the option of the PSP graphics with the Origins gameplay for I & II before it got made super easy for the GBA and later releases.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FF9 PC is right there with it's fast load times and it's X5 speed up all for you.

You're right. I think it's time I give the game another chance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/final-fantasy-brave-exvius-coming-west

Final fantasy Brave Exvious is also coming to the west. That's the...mobile game that has Lightning Return combat, I think?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tae posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/final-fantasy-brave-exvius-coming-west

Final fantasy Brave Exvious is also coming to the west. That's the...mobile game that has Lightning Return combat, I think?

It's the Final Fantasy version of Brave Frontier.

Mobius is the Lightning Returns combat one I think.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tempo 119 posted:

does this have any new content over the PS2 version?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I do like Brave Exvius's sprites though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Countblanc posted:

does this have any new content over the PS2 version?

The versions after the PS2 is the International version:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X/Version_differences

edit: High speed boost? Is this the closest to cutscene skip we'll get for FFX?

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 10, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Mega64 posted:

So that's, what, all the mainline FF's on Steam now besides 1, 2, and 12?

e: And all the sequels too (besides Revenant Wings and the FF5 anime but who even remembers those two exist anyway)

Vaan gets a shirt so I remember Revenant Wings (and FFTA2). It also makes Ashe a Time Mage who equips Bombs which is a cool choice.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, you know, just casually ripping open the boundaries of reality. No big deal, really.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, you know, just casually ripping open the boundaries of reality. No big deal, really.

The laws of the universe means nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hate how one of Ramza's popular portrayals as a hero is him shouting. It's such an waste when he has so much other cool poo poo.