Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

What's a good rivals.com nickname for Jenson anyway?

Having trouble with the first name but i think "Fartton" is promising for the surname

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jenshit Cuntson.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

jenkem bottle.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

1500quidporsche posted:

Jenshit Cuntson.

Jenshit Fuckton, you can't illiterate his name nicely can you? Alonso, fernondon't kinda works, as does (did) Maldonardon't.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm just willing to accept that it's difficult to make bad nicknames for good drivers.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

track day bro! posted:

My favorite post of late was 1500quidporc posting about HCCI and F1's incredibly dumbed down reporting on tech stuff. Which was interesting because I got to learn what HCCI was. I should really buy racecar engineering more, but some of the stuff just makes me feel like an even bigger retard.

He brought up a lot of good points but there is some stuff he's wrong about, but I can't bring myself to write up a huge effort post explaining it all, because half of you don't know what a car is, half don't care. And honestly, there is no point in any of us speculating on it since none of us are better engineers than the literally hundreds of people doing R&D for these cars.

Here, read this instead About the development of TJI

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm just willing to accept that it's difficult to make bad nicknames for good drivers.

Jenson Wonnone

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Jism Butthole

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

True enough. Hard to come up with anything for Sebastian Vettel.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wicka posted:

unfortunately i don't have cable. i use a few people's cable credentials to stream NBC and stuff but none of them get bein. wish they'd just let me give them money directly bc they have US bundesliga and la liga rights.

I'm not sure if it's available for you, but FuboTV is $10/mo and has Bein. The downside is that they don't have DVR enabled for anything other than soccer/football but it works well enough.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

True enough. Hard to come up with anything for Sebastian Vettel.

Serb the Kurb, actually this is difficult.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Spastic Vanker

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's fairly difficult to encapsulate the differences between HCCI and TJI in three paragraphs, especially when part of my post was taking the piss out of F1 Journalists for blackboxing the technology.

Not quite sure what I got wrong, but please elaborate as there really isn't anything else important going on. I think there probably is going to be some points of disagreement since there is so little info but that's fine we're all grown ups here.

Edit: Also worth noting I work the world's most boring job with ridiculous restrictions on what you can visit on the internet, which is why I keep up on crap like this so much. I'm not even remotely close to being an engineer, I loving price out employee benefits. Also I'm phone posting so my responses may take a while since I've got to sit down at my laptop to post anything close to coherent.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 9, 2016

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

thegasman2000 posted:

Spastic Vanker

The oval office at the front. Though he isn't now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Hexyflexy posted:

Jenshit Fuckton, you can't illiterate his name nicely can you? Alonso, fernondon't kinda works, as does (did) Maldonardon't.

I always went with Asstor Bad-donado

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo slow down guys I can't report all these posts that fast

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

Jenshit Cuntson.

Justav Mycum

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Not quite sure what I got wrong, but please elaborate as there really isn't anything else important going on. I think there probably is going to be some points of disagreement since there is so little info but that's fine we're all grown ups here.

It wasn't much just some of the specifics on the utilization of HCCI vs spark ignition, the EGT's aren't anywhere near as high as you said (though conventional wisdom says they should be), and high polling rate sensors, really fast ECU's, what I suspect is electronic valve timing, and fuel development has practically eliminated the knock issue.

Give me a couple hours, I'll get back to my desk get my poo poo together and give you a run down.

[edit] I tried to find the thing I read saying that Merc was using HCCI, but all I could find was that Renault is rumored to have it by Canada. I don't remember where I got that from, so let's say they're not running it.

[edit2] Regardless, my whole point about HCCI and TJI was that F1 teams are using them because a more efficient engine uses less fuel. Which means that the teams spend less time saving fuel, and more time with their foot to the floor. Even if you lose a bit of horsepower from it, being able to run longer at full chat than your competitor makes your car faster over a race distance.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 9, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MustardFacial posted:

Regardless, my whole point about HCCI and TJI was that F1 teams are using them because a more efficient engine uses less fuel. Which means that the teams spend less time saving fuel, and more time with their foot to the floor. Even if you lose a bit of horsepower from it, being able to run longer at full chat than your competitor makes your car faster over a race distance.

How will this effect reliability and could it be the reason the Ferrari and mercs keep going bang?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I thought I mentioned that somewhere back that most teams are probably running a lean combustion due to the fuel flow limit, that may have gone out the window between my other points. I suspect most teams are running lean and have raised fuel temps regardless of the ignition type just because of the fuel flow limits, there's a huge advantage there.

I'd totally be for them using HCCI if they ran Avgas or something but struggle to see it being viable in the current formula. I don't know what manufacturers do now but for eternity every engineer's solution to high compression knock has been to have you put premium in.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

How will this effect reliability and could it be the reason the Ferrari and mercs keep going bang?

Just like in romance and comedy; timing is everything.

If your timing is even a little bit off, you create what is known as detonation (or knock as 1500quidporsche said). Without getting into the nitty gritty of it all, detonation is the air:fuel mixture basically exploding all at once before it is supposed to. This spikes cylinder pressure beyond what the components can handle and you end up with bent valves and connecting rods or a hole burned straight through your piston. Detonation is bad for a normal engine, but in an F1 engine where everything is made to the minimum thickness to save weight, then is really bad.

HCCI and TJI for all intents and purposes are "controlled detonation". If you can get the timing right, you can make the detonation occur at top dead center where all of the components are closed and can withstand that massive spike in cylinder pressure. If you can't.....Boom.

HCCI and TJI are prototype technologies in prototype engines. I'd say there is a big chance at least some of Merc's and Ferrari's failures are due to it.

[edit]

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd totally be for them using HCCI if they ran Avgas or something but struggle to see it being viable in the current formula. I don't know what manufacturers do now but for eternity every engineer's solution to high compression knock has been to have you put premium in.

MIT did some research on how conventional pump gas effects HCCI.

quote:

To examine these effects, the operating ranges of 12 gasolines were mapped in a naturally-aspirated, single-cylinder HCCI engine, which used negative valve overlap to induce HCCI combustion. The fuels were blended from commercial refinery streams to span the range of market-typical variability in aromatic, ethanol, and olefin concentrations, RON, and volatility. The results indicated that all fuels achieved nearly equal operating ranges. The LLL of HCCI operability was completely insensitive to fuel chemistry, within experimental measurement error. The high-load limit showed minor fuel effects, but the trends in fuel performance were not consistent across all the speeds studied. These results suggest that fuel sensitivity is not an obstacle to auto-makers and/or fuel companies to introducing HCCI technology.

I was just as surprised as you are.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 9, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Pricko Tossberg?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

Pricko Tossberg?

That is rather good.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 9, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So MustardFacial, if you have a driver with more of a brute force style or is pushing hard would it be more likely to fail or is it just down to luck? Could the merc works team be failing when the customers supposedly identical engines are not, be due to a failure at petronus' end or are they getting cocky and turning stuff up too far?

edit: people making name puns might want to listen up, the practical implications behind this tech talk could effect our autosport predictions quite a lot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Merc's failures (specifically Lewis') to my knowledge has been around the MGU-H, not so much any change in ignition system.

Ferrari's have been all over the map, the weird one was with a valve hitting the piston which I can only think a tensioner failed or something. Although Arrivabene did say some engine conditions caused it I don't think he knew what he was talking about as VVT is banned under the rules.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
It's impossible to know without knowing a lot more of the specifics of Merc's implementation (assuming they are even running HCCI. I thought I read somewhere they were, but I could've just as easily reasoned that conclusion on my own). And without knowing the specifics of each driver's driving style. Yeah, you can say "brute force driving style" but what does that mean exactly? Does he slam his foot to the floor as soon as he hits the apex? Or does he just feed the power in a bit quicker than everyone else? But I mean if you guys want some wild, unfounded speculation...

:siren:Wild, Unfounded Speculation Ahead:siren:

The Merc steering wheels, like everyone else have switches for ignition timing (TIL HCCI engines still have spark plugs for high load/engine still cold situations) and mixture settings. Now who do you think would be more likely to gently caress those settings up and blow the engine: the driver who spends all of his time training, and working with the engineers, making sure he knows how everything works and how to get the most out of it? Or the driver who says "make it fast, boys." As he boards his private jet and flys off to New York?

On top of that, I'm sure Merc are pushing and turning everything up to 11 to eke as much power as they can to keep Ferrari at bay.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 9, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would that driver also be the kind of chap who didn't bother to find out how single clutches worked, or do practice starts in the simulator, until the third race of the season?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've read the rules now. Unless these guys have found multiple loopholes, HCCI will be really difficult to pull off (Ferrari's TJI still works just fine.) But again, I'm no engineer. The people making these engines are way way smarter than me.

Things preventing HCCI (or at least making it really difficult to pull off):

5.3.6 - No cylinder of the engine may have a geometric compression ratio higher than 18.0

5.9.2 - Variable valve timing and variable valve lift profile systems are not permitted.

5.10.2 - There may only be one direct injector per cylinder and no injectors are permitted upstream of the intake valves or downstream of the exhaust valves. Only approved parts may be used and the list of parts approved by the FIA, and the approval procedure, may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.

5.11.1 - Ignition is only permitted by means of a single ignition coil and single spark plug per cylinder. No more than five sparks per cylinder per engine cycle are permitted.
The use of plasma, laser or other high frequency ignition techniques is forbidden.
Only approved ignition coils may be used and the list of parts approved by the FIA, and the approval procedure, may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.

5.11.2 - Only conventional spark plugs that function by high tension electrical discharge across an exposed gap are permitted.

[edit]

Jesus Christ,

5.16.1 - Unless explicitly permitted for a specific application, the following materials may not be used anywhere on the power unit :
a) Magnesium based alloys.
b) Metal Matrix Composites (MMC’s).
c) Intermetallic materials.
d) Alloys containing more than 5% by weight of Platinum, Ruthenium, Iridium or Rhenium.
e) Copper based alloys containing more than 2.75% Beryllium.
f) Any other alloy class containing more than 0.25% Beryllium.
g) Tungsten base alloys.
h) Ceramics and ceramic matrix composites.

That's like all of the best materials to build race cars from.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 9, 2016

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Youd think theyd be all for something like HCCI especially if it was something that enhanced the sports 'green' credentials. Although I wonder how much control a driver would have of these things if theres even less safety margin compared to traditional ignition.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

That's like all of the best materials to build race cars from.

but they're not the best materials to build regular cars from

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is what I mean when I say HCCI isn't really viable, there aren't many tools to work with in the current engine formula. Jet ignition fits in nicely in comparison.

Weren't Ferrari making noise about super tiny spark plugs when these engines first came around? I think Jet Ignition was always going to be the end game for then.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F1 tech regs read like some administrator polled a bunch of 9 year olds for their opinions on what would make an awesome car and then banned all the ideas. "OK kids, what would be the coolest way to ignite a fuel/air mixture?" "LASERS!!!" "No lasers allowed then."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

F1's engine regs are ridiculously draconian in alot of respects and that mostly is a misguided desire to close up the field and a knee jerk reaction to the overspending on engines in the past. They're the only engines made today that don't have VVT besides maybe a lawn mower engine or some Chinese garbage and the argument for banning VVT, these engines are road car relevant though.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

wicka posted:

but they're not the best materials to build regular cars from
BMW routinely makes their engine blocks out of magnesium, I think the exhaust valves in the old LS7 Corvette engine were ceramic, and carbon ceramic brake rotors outpace steel ones everytime, most newer cars you buy today will have iridium tipped spark plugs. These are good materials to build cars from, some of them are just too expensive, or too experimental to release to the public just yet. As time goes on, and car manufacturers are looking to reduce weight for fuel economy but retain strength for safety, the processes for making these materials will get faster and cheaper and you'll start seeing more and more of them in everyday cars.

1500quidporsche posted:

This is what I mean when I say HCCI isn't really viable, there aren't many tools to work with in the current engine formula. Jet ignition fits in nicely in comparison.

Weren't Ferrari making noise about super tiny spark plugs when these engines first came around? I think Jet Ignition was always going to be the end game for then.

Yeah, I never realized the engine regs were so strict. It kind of makes no sense really, like if you remove the ERS part from the power unit these engines are no more complex mechanically than what you would find in a mid-90's American pickup.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

The worst thread deserves Jenson Button???

No probation for THIS travesty!?

MustardFacial posted:

Just like in romance and comedy; timing is everything.

And rivals.com punning, evidently.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 10, 2016

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Please keep going with the talk about HCCI and Jet Ignition, I'm almost there :flashfap:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

funeral fag posted:

jenkem bottle.

This really didnt get enough love. :golfclap:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

track day bro! posted:

Lol at whichever bitchmade salty Australian reported me again for making fun of their lovely bogan oval office of a F1 driver.
To be fair, insulting Are Dan should be a bannable offence. :australia:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah seriously. Dan is easily the best guy in F1. Also I'm disappointed that Team Dan is no more and the moniker Team Dan never caught on while the team was operating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I am still Team Dan. gently caress Red Bull though.

• Locked thread