Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Internet Kraken posted:

The only reason Nameless King can be considered harder than the Champ is because he can't be parried and has a first phase that will waste your resources. The Champ is wayyyyyy harder to straight up fight, his combos are ridiculous and brutal.

Nameless King just has some weird timing on his swings you have to get used too, and the only hard part of that is loving up requires killing his stupid dragon again.

Do people consider the Champ hard? I figured he was basically the first Grundyr fight with some extra moves designed to punish what you thought you learned the first time. Only took me two tries.

Nameless King is over 20 tries and still counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dragonrider who actually rides a dragon wasn't so bad for me although I could see why it would be considered hardest boss in the game due to the obscene damage output. Got it on the third try. Champion gundam was the absolute worst though and took more like nine, although that's a lot better than bloodborne's multiple godawful chalice dungeon bosses that each took me 30-40 tries.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Filthy Hans posted:

I love the Champion, it's like they imported a Soul Caliber fighter into Dark Souls

Dragonrider was also pretty good at simulating the is the true Soul Calibur experience :downsrim:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Beat Lothric & Lorian at SL17/WL+3 :pcgaming: :supaburn:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yhorm's Mach4ete is the only thing that made me put down the SSS.
(HOW AND WHY IS IT FASTER THAN A UGS)

"SSS?"

Desperate Character posted:

the fact there isn't a permanent wax head to go with the wax shirt piece is so annoying. I don't mind missing out on the dusk crown damage if I can use a gimmick :mad:

That reminds me, what in the high hell does dunking your head in wax even do? I remember when I first saw the option to do that I shrugged and went along with it and then sat there staring at my character for a few minutes going "Why did I think this was a good idea?"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The last DLC boss will be another version of Gundyr that starts the fight in Champ Mode then the second phase he puts down the halberd, gets 3x more moves, and becomes unparryable.
I want a variant of him in the DLC that acts a bit like the Jetstream Sam's boss fight in Metal Gear Rising. First half of the fight he uses the halberd and then once he reaches half health he tosses that thing aside and just starts doing punches and grapples. Give the giant metal man a barehanded parry, watch the players weep.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

That feeling when you finish off the host with a kukri.

*My Thanks*
In my first successful run against the nameless King I ran out of estus and was basically one hit away from death. Spent the next five minutes dodging and pegging him with kukris until he dropped because I was too scared to get close.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

That reminds me, what in the high hell does dunking your head in wax even do? I remember when I first saw the option to do that I shrugged and went along with it and then sat there staring at my character for a few minutes going "Why did I think this was a good idea?"

It prevents the ghost book arms from hurting you. I think it wears down faster as they grab at you, though. It's not necessary at all but it's nice to have so just accept it and dunk your head in.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I love the princes, they're a reasonably fun fight, but mostly it owns that the most badass thing in the kingdom is two vaguely incestuous paraplegic shut-ins that throw catty quips at you when they kill you

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-vnto0l7g

:aaaaa:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I can use Yoel to level up? What is 'Draw out my True Strength?' Is this like when Guru put his hand on Krillin and Gohan and they powered up?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

liar ahead

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

lite_sleepr posted:

I can use Yoel to level up? What is 'Draw out my True Strength?' Is this like when Guru put his hand on Krillin and Gohan and they powered up?

Yes

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

lite_sleepr posted:

It's basically exactly this.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Merauder posted:

My next gimmick is to name my character Marty McFly and just run around invading people's worlds, dropping Heavy Gems, and leaving.

did something happen to gravity in your first playthrough?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Whoever said the Swords Master can basically solo the Champ without the invulnerability glitch? You're a filthy liar :mad:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HaB posted:

Can confirm he does bleed. Takes maybe 5 hits to proc with a +10 Uchi and Carthus Rouge. That's assuming you can get off 5 hits in rapid succession, so more like 6-7 hits in actuality.

Thanks, good to know I don't have to rely solely on my slash damage

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's an out-there explanation, but it's the one the game seems to be going with. Remember in the opening cinematic, the narrator mentions that the "transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder" are converging on Lothric.

As to what's going on with the Fire Keeper corpses in Firelink Shrine--I'm convinced something fucky is going on. Have you been to Untended Graves yet? It gives you a whole new angle on the timeline that's going on and throws into question just how long this particular cycle has been dragging on for.

One thing I can't quite get my head around is the arguably third Firelink shrine that you arrive at when heading to the kiln of the first flame. You can see the eclipse from it which would put it at the same time as the rest of the game world (save for untended graves, which would arguably be afterward, then?), but you can also see the clusterfuck of buildings there, which implies that things have gotten even more twisted together than during the rest of the game. Is

I wonder if the idea of ages and the whole time/space convolution is to make the idea of the flame being a metaphor for a story, one passed down from teller to teller. Each time it is told, some details are forgotten or confused with one another. Eventually you reach a point where the story is so far removed from what originally was that you either must begin again, or try to pretend as though it has some relation to the original.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Part of the difficulty I had with Dancer, myself, was the temptation to just be mesmerized by her movement and footsteps along with her music. It's like the best expression of eerie and gorgeous. There's something almost cathartic about it.

lite_sleepr posted:

If it seems weird at all, just let go of that feeling and remember that Yoel is sincerely your buddy and wants the best for you.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Mazed posted:

Part of the difficulty I had with Dancer, myself, was the temptation to just be mesmerized by her movement and footsteps along with her music. It's like the best expression of eerie and gorgeous. There's something almost cathartic about it.

Eloquent way of saying you were staring at her rear end

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Naw dog, girl be too skinny there.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The conventional wisdom seems to have settled on the Untended Graves being in the past, primarily because of the shrine handmaiden's hidden dialogue, but that's never sat well with me because you find Andre's hammer as if he died and left it behind. If Yoel dies naturally, you find the Hollow's Ashes at his location, suggesting that the area is in the future. The Coiled Sword Fragment description reads that it's "from a bonfire which served its purpose long ago."

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Invaded someone as an Aldrich guy, and before I fight I figure I may as well toss him a spare set of silver knight gear I've picked up from farming. He traded back the full black knight set. :3:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mazed posted:

Worst opinion in the thread.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HaB posted:

Do people consider the Champ hard? I figured he was basically the first Grundyr fight with some extra moves designed to punish what you thought you learned the first time. Only took me two tries.

Nameless King is over 20 tries and still counting.

Yeah this is basically my question too, I beat him on the first try. The rhythm of the fight is very similar to a lot of other Souls bosses of the "big fast knight" type, dodge as late as you can, only heal or attack when you certainly have an opening, and never run out of stamina. If you can beat Allant, Artorias, Alonne, Fume, etc. then you can beat Gundyr. Most lethal bosses for me were Dancer, Wolnir, Oceiros, and Storm/Nameless King. Wolnir was just me being dumb and tunnel visioned on the bracelets so I didn't see the death fog until I was dead, Oceiros' problem was that loving charge attack. Covers like 75% of the arena with gigantic hit box that takes a week to go away, no thanks.

Nameless King himself isn't that hard, he's very similar to Gundyr in that you really need to not lose your cool and pick your openings carefully, what fucks people (i.e. me) up is that they've already wasted half their estus on the Storm King and aren't prepared to recover from a mistake.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Toady posted:

The conventional wisdom seems to have settled on the Untended Graves being in the past, primarily because of the shrine handmaiden's hidden dialogue, but that's never sat well with me because you find Andre's hammer as if he died and left it behind. If Yoel dies naturally, you find the Hollow's Ashes at his location, suggesting that the area is in the future. The Coiled Sword Fragment description reads that it's "from a bonfire which served its purpose long ago."
Alternate theory: The Shrine Handmaiden is a Time Traveler. :ms:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Champ is different from all those bosses in that he has extremely fast punches and kicks he mixes in with his slower combos, so getting a safe opening against him is way harder. Dodging his main attacks isn't difficult, its trying to find a safe opportunity to hit him. As far as I could tell, its random whether or not he decides to do a kick or shoulder check after one of his regular combos.

I do not understand how someone could have trouble with loving Oceiros but consider the Champ easy.

Mazed posted:

How did you feel about Asylum Demon?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 10, 2016

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If a non-respawning enemy die and drops an item, and I die, there's no way I'm able to get that item right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

null posted:

If a non-respawning enemy die and drops an item, and I die, there's no way I'm able to get that item right?

Should be at its spawn point.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

I checked and it's not there :(. It's the spider inside the cathedral at the beginning of Anor Londo that apparently drops this ring. I know it's not that great of a ring, but it still sucks. I died at the same time I killed the spider, so I couldn't pick it up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

I love the princes, they're a reasonably fun fight, but mostly it owns that the most badass thing in the kingdom is two vaguely incestuous paraplegic shut-ins that throw catty quips at you when they kill you

What...?

What's incestuous about them?

Not everything has to have sexual undertones drat it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

One thing I can't quite get my head around is the arguably third Firelink shrine that you arrive at when heading to the kiln of the first flame. You can see the eclipse from it which would put it at the same time as the rest of the game world (save for untended graves, which would arguably be afterward, then?), but you can also see the clusterfuck of buildings there, which implies that things have gotten even more twisted together than during the rest of the game. Is

I wonder if the idea of ages and the whole time/space convolution is to make the idea of the flame being a metaphor for a story, one passed down from teller to teller. Each time it is told, some details are forgotten or confused with one another. Eventually you reach a point where the story is so far removed from what originally was that you either must begin again, or try to pretend as though it has some relation to the original.

My guess for your spoiler is: that third Firelink Shrine is still the main Firelink you use throughout the game, but they didn't want to lock you into a point of no return, so you can still go back to the normal Firelink and the rest of the game world. I think that's supposed to be the same one, though, and they just made a concession for gameplay purposes.

That said, I didn't look all that closely at it--maybe there's a clue I'm missing and something much weirder is going on.

Toady posted:

Perhaps all of this has happened before. That could be where they got all those Fire Keeper corpses.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 10, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Mr Dog posted:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

The Champ is different from all those bosses in that he has extremely fast punches and kicks he mixes in with his slower combos, so getting a safe opening against him is way harder. Dodging his main attacks isn't difficult, its trying to find a safe opportunity to hit him. As far as I could tell, its random whether or not he decides to do a kick or shoulder check after one of his regular combos.

I do not understand how someone could have trouble with loving Oceiros but consider the Champ easy.

Get ready for this: I beat the Champ on my first try and the only bosses that took me more than 3 tries were Nameless King and Bordt and they both took me a lot more than 3.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

I'm still out a heavy crossbow, but then that enemy respawns so I guess it's a niche case of "Hope you checked the ground level if they died the first time by falling!". 6 kills later (including going down to check when they fall) and I've given up on seeing that particular item this NG.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

I'm still out a heavy crossbow, but then that enemy respawns so I guess it's a niche case of "Hope you checked the ground level if they died the first time by falling!". 6 kills later (including going down to check when they fall) and I've given up on seeing that particular item this NG.

This is why I'm always careful to keep enemies from falling into pits, as amusing as that is.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mr Dog posted:

What...?

What's incestuous about them?

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad rear end stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

swamp waste posted:

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad rear end stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

What the gently caress are you talking about

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

swamp waste posted:

Hahaha, this is a fantastic post.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Incest chat goes in the Fire Emblem thread not this one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yaoi is one of the three pillars of Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

swamp waste posted:

Please source your quotes.