Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

I thought they fixed it at some point? Because I'm pretty sure the game runs at 1080p for me. Or maybe I still have DSFix installed from a previous install. Which I doubt.

Yeah, they let you set it to 1080p, but it still renders at 720p. I recently reinstalled DS1 and DSFix and the difference was really noticeable.

HMS Boromir posted:

For a few months after launch, Valkyria Chronicles had much deadlier interception fire on PC because it ran at 60 FPS and it messed with the game logic somehow. Apparently people were sad to see it go because it actually improved balance. It would've been kind of cool if 60 FPS Dark Souls 2 suddenly turned into Shadow Tower but the game isn't really built for high weapon turnover rate.

Hah, they tied interception fire to frame rate? Nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think durability only really exists so that you can have spells and enemy attacks that damage it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

This is exactly what I mean by overstating how bad the controls are.
Yeah. Sure, both DaS1 & DaS2 required a third-party fix, but with that both games' keyboard & mouse controls work fine.
So it just boils down to whatever control scheme you're more comfortable.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm sure you could get used to/beat the game with kb+m. I don't care about PVP/get gud at all, but for me the game just became unfun trying to play on the keyboard because I spent more time getting frustrated with the parry not firing despite me mashing the key than I did making progress.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Harrow posted:

Yeah, they let you set it to 1080p, but it still renders at 720p. I recently reinstalled DS1 and DSFix and the difference was really noticeable.

Yeah it was a huge difference (imgur gif showing before and after). Though this guy may have gone above 1080p.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Harrow posted:

Hah, they tied interception fire to frame rate? Nasty.

The reason this stuff happens is that a lot of console games are lockstep simulations, meaning that the world and the display of it run at exactly the same frame rate. In a lockstep simulation you have 33 or 17 ms (30 or 60 FPS) to compute the next world state & what it looks like* and forever the two shall be tied. This is a perfectly sane thing to do when you know all your clients have identical hardware and you can design your game to guarantee that you always meet your frame deadline. In a lockstep simulation, if the FPS drops then the world slows down correspondingly since it means it took more than 33 ms to compute what the world will look like in 33 ms.

PC games generally can't make any guarantees on how well the hardware performs and need to use asynchronous simulation. You still want the world to be predictable so the simulation still steps at an absolute fixed rate; 10 to 30 FPS, depending on game. The difference is that graphical frames aren't displaying a single world state but interpolations between two of them, which lets you have more display FPS than you do simulation FPS. This is a lot more complicated to actually do and introduces overhead and limitations you might not want, but is a necessary evil on non-fixed hardware.

Converting from the lockstep to asynchronous is not trivial work in a mature engine. Locking to 30 FPS instead is is perfectly sane when the option is re-architecting your entire engine (and thus not getting a port).

* This is a lie: for performance reasons you actually compute world state T+1 while rendering state T.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xerophyte posted:

The reason this stuff happens is that a lot of console games are lockstep simulations, meaning that the world and the display of it run at exactly the same frame rate. In a lockstep simulation you have 33 or 17 ms (30 or 60 FPS) to compute the next world state & what it looks like* and forever the two shall be tied. This is a perfectly sane thing to do when you know all your clients have identical hardware and you can design your game to guarantee that you always meet your frame deadline. In a lockstep simulation, if the FPS drops then the world slows down correspondingly since it means it took more than 33 ms to compute what the world will look like in 33 ms.

PC games generally can't make any guarantees on how well the hardware performs and need to use asynchronous simulation. You still want the world to be predictable so the simulation still steps at an absolute fixed rate; 10 to 30 FPS, depending on game. The difference is that graphical frames aren't displaying a single world state but interpolations between two of them, which lets you have more display FPS than you do simulation FPS. This is a lot more complicated to actually do and introduces overhead and limitations you might not want, but is a necessary evil on non-fixed hardware.

Converting from the lockstep to asynchronous is not trivial work in a mature engine. Locking to 30 FPS instead is is perfectly sane when the option is re-architecting your entire engine (and thus not getting a port).

* This is a lie: for performance reasons you actually compute world state T+1 while rendering state T.

Which is why when you use DSFix to unlock the framerate on DS1 on PC, you get all sorts of fun bugs like jumps that just suddenly end and plunge you straight down, enemies colliding with you pushing you through the floor and out of the map and so on. You end up with the actual character mesh being in a different place than the current internal state of the game says it should be, and hilarity ensues.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

For a few months after launch, Valkyria Chronicles had much deadlier interception fire on PC because it ran at 60 FPS and it messed with the game logic somehow. Apparently people were sad to see it go because it actually improved balance. It would've been kind of cool if 60 FPS Dark Souls 2 suddenly turned into Shadow Tower but the game isn't really built for high weapon turnover rate.

Definitely wasn't an advantage when I played it. The AI auto end movement and don't trigger any after attacks, but for the player, you get counter fire just standing still, so you'd get absolutely pummeled just moving about.

But yeah, I used greatswords in DS2.. I pretty much just started carrying 2 or 3 of them around with me and regularly swapped out, it was really ridiculous.

I've still heard mixed messages on whether scholar fixed it or not, I'd heard the same bits about the body durability being fixed, but that you still took a ton from 60fps, big weapons impact with the scenery and ground way too often

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if its just me, but the enemies in this game feel like they track too well. Like, I was fighting in another area and one of the enemies seemed to spin on a dime when I attempted to get behind them. Is this the case for anyone else?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

FluffySquirrel posted:

Definitely wasn't an advantage when I played it. The AI auto end movement and don't trigger any after attacks, but for the player, you get counter fire just standing still, so you'd get absolutely pummeled just moving about.

Oh no, people liked it because it made the game harder. It punished running past enemies with scouts, something the game doesn't do enough.

Scribe13 posted:

I don't know if its just me, but the enemies in this game feel like they track too well. Like, I was fighting in another area and one of the enemies seemed to spin on a dime when I attempted to get behind them. Is this the case for anyone else?

Definitely. Most enemies are nigh-impossible to backstab until they take a swing at you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scribe13 posted:

They do. It's overkill, really, when enemies turn like they're on a turntable mid-attack animation. You can see a ton of that while Geop's fighting the hollows in the forest in the latest update.

Enemies sort of need to track to a certain degree, but there are ways to do it that don't look so comical, and DS2 generally goes too far with melee tracking. It's especially egregious on a later enemy that's already set up to punish you for getting behind it, but you basically never will because it turns to face you constantly--I won't say much more because Geop hasn't seen it yet.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, Bloodborne and Dark Souls III have enemies that track a lot too, but their animations make it look less stupid.
They also don't track as much as in Dark Souls II I think, but I may be wrong here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I like DS2, but there comes a point where a 10-foot tall knight with a greatsword spins around his center axis in the middle of the process of bringing his greatsword down on your head and it just looks ridiculous even if you dodge, and it certainly makes backstabs impractical against most enemies worth a drat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, Bloodborne and Dark Souls III have enemies that track a lot too, but their animations make it look less stupid.
They also don't track as much as in Dark Souls II I think, but I may be wrong here.

Yeah, it's more or less exactly the same in BB and DS3, but the animations are improved so they aren't just rotating the model on an axis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's more or less exactly the same in BB and DS3, but the animations are improved so they aren't just rotating the model on an axis.

In DS3, at least, I've noticed that they way they do it is that they tend to have the enemy stay in place during an attack wind-up, then redirect towards where you're standing as they actually attack. It's functionally the same effect--it's hard to dodge by just circle-strafing--but it looks more natural.

It feels like less of an issue in Bloodborne because everything is so mobile and fast anyway that you're much less likely to even try circle-strafing, and if you do, you're probably circle-dodging. But the tracking is still present, it's just masked with the animations the same way they do it in DS3.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I like DS2, but there comes a point where a 10-foot tall knight with a greatsword spins around his center axis in the middle of the process of bringing his greatsword down on your head and it just looks ridiculous even if you dodge, and it certainly makes backstabs impractical against most enemies worth a drat.

The way you have to give them the donkey punch to get the stab is another thing that makes it impractical.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm also not a fan of DS2's changes to parrying, which I hope Geop at least attempts. I mean, I'm probably biased because DS2 is the only game in the whole series where I could never really get a handle on parrying, but I also think the "riposte-ready" state that enemies go into just looks comical as hell.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I have no idea what changed with DS2's parrying but I absolutely cannot get a parry in it with anything other than a target shield/buckler where I could parry at least semi-consistently with medium shields in DS1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm a parrying addict in every single other game in the series. People told me Demon's Souls had tighter parry timing than Dark Souls but I never really felt it--I rolled into Demon's Souls and parried things pretty confidently, including the Red-Eye Knight in 1-1. In Bloodborne, I parry everything I can because why wouldn't you? And it took me a bit to get used to it in Dark Souls 3 just because things tend to attack faster, but it's ultimately similar to the first Dark Souls.

DS2, though? I got pretty good at parrying one of the bosses because I just forced myself to learn how, but I'm still nowhere near consistent with any enemy type and I just can't figure out why.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Harrow posted:

They do. It's overkill, really, when enemies turn like they're on a turntable mid-attack animation. You can see a ton of that while Geop's fighting the hollows in the forest in the latest update.

Enemies sort of need to track to a certain degree, but there are ways to do it that don't look so comical, and DS2 generally goes too far with melee tracking. It's especially egregious on a later enemy that's already set up to punish you for getting behind it, but you basically never will because it turns to face you constantly--I won't say much more because Geop hasn't seen it yet.

I mean, he HAS seen it probably, we just haven't seen him see it yet.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
My brain is going crazy trying to tell Geop to explore Majula more for a decent weapon.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I though Scholars was kind of a big slog bummer I never got too far into. Then again, I thought Dark Souls 2 was kind of poo poo in general and DS3 confirms that yep. That was the bad one. Still interested to see how much it changed later on in.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IGgy IGsen posted:

There's a better video somewhere with this same concept, but I couldn't find it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB588GimO-M

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

IronSaber posted:

My brain is going crazy trying to tell Geop to explore Majula more for a decent weapon.

That way lies a dark path

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

A bit off topic, but did Geop ever do the dlc for the original game? I can't remember/find it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Chinese Batman posted:

A bit off topic, but did Geop ever do the dlc for the original game? I can't remember/find it.

Yeah he did it. It was near the end of his LP. http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/ Starts at episode 101.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm almost certainly crazy, but I swear the tracking has gotten worse. I did a run a couple of weeks before DS3 came out and I'm sure I had an easier time getting backstabs and not getting hit fighting those hollows in the forest. I remember when I first played I had a good time tricking the huge knights in Heide's to combo right off the edge of their platforms, but I can't seem to make them now. I spent about 150 hours in this game between base and SotFS and I'm somehow apparently worse than when I started.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm a parrying addict in every single other game in the series. People told me Demon's Souls had tighter parry timing than Dark Souls but I never really felt it--I rolled into Demon's Souls and parried things pretty confidently, including the Red-Eye Knight in 1-1. In Bloodborne, I parry everything I can because why wouldn't you? And it took me a bit to get used to it in Dark Souls 3 just because things tend to attack faster, but it's ultimately similar to the first Dark Souls.

DS2, though? I got pretty good at parrying one of the bosses because I just forced myself to learn how, but I'm still nowhere near consistent with any enemy type and I just can't figure out why.

Parrying in 3 is like one-for-one how 2 works. If you figured out how it works in 3, then you should be able to do it in 2 no problem.

Enemies kind of have to track you heavily for them to ever have a chance of hitting you with any kind of slower vertical attack: your basic movement speed is too fast otherwise. They could get away with this not happening in 1 because you moved slow as molasses in Dark Souls 1.

In Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, enemies generally either just attacked super fast or hit extremely wide angles around them. It looks less awkward, but honestly, it's less fair on the player than really accurate attack tracking.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
I suggest that you try to find a mace as soon as possible, it will be worth it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Whamukars posted:

I suggest that you try to find a mace as soon as possible, it will be worth it.
I suggest that he find a Whip asap
Also six Caesti to fill all the weapon slots

[spoilers]the mail breaker is the best loving weapon in the game I swear to god[/spioler]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
imo if your posts are going to be telling geop what to do then try to remember he's playing through this with three people constantly telling him what to do

instead channel that energy into telling ds2 haters how wrong they are

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dark Souls 2 is a really good game, but, it's not as good as some of the other Souls games

That is my opinion

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

I suggest that he find a Whip asap
Also six Caesti to fill all the weapon slots

[spoilers]the mail breaker is the best loving weapon in the game I swear to god[/spioler]

Or dual-wielding a grand lance and claymore and be hated by everyone online.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

Notorious QIG posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a really good game, but, it's not as good as some of the other Souls games

That is my opinion
That is a fair opinion.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

imo if your posts are going to be telling geop what to do then try to remember he's playing through this with three people constantly telling him what to do

instead channel that energy into telling ds2 haters how wrong they are

I've lost a lot of steam as a DS2 defender. The more I reflect on it the more I realize how many mistakes it made. That said, it still provided that Souls exploration and challenge that we've all become addicted to, so even if it was a little sub-par, it's still worth its weight in gold.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Whamukars posted:

That is a fair opinion.

Exactly, being generally regarded as the worst game in a stellar series it's still a pretty drat good game. It would be like saying all of these others scored at 9 and this one only scored an 8.5.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
My opinion on Dark Souls is that I am poo poo at Dark Souls. And also too lazy to git gud.

I'm sure they're fine games, though.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think there are both good criticisms of dark souls 2 and bad criticisms of dark souls 2. If you feel a frothing hate for something, anything, you are more likely to be making bad criticisms.

DS2 haters so bad, worst haters in a series of haters. They're the DS2 of haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I understand that folks dislike DS2, but I really enjoy it because... I dunno, it has this feel to it that isn't in the first DS.

• Locked thread