Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr E posted:

My group will be doing a campaign using these rules after my current DnD 5.0 campaign is over. I'm not GMing it, so I'm assuming I just need the core book and any sourcebooks that have the class/race I want to play, even if others want to play a Jedi or something?

Your character's career is limiting and permanent, but all your career does is 1) give a discount on adding later specializations that came from "within the career" and 2) determine what your Signature Abilities can be You can freely add any specialization from any book at any time, GM-permitting.

So ultimately, I recommend one core book, books that have specializations you know you want (in career or out), and the one that introduces Signature Abilities for your starting career. Species . . . well, I probably wouldn't buy a book just for the page or so devoted to the species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are Hutts something that becomes difficult to play due to size or are they just a different race with different limitations? I kinda want to play a Hutt or Chiss.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mr E posted:

Are Hutts something that becomes difficult to play due to size or are they just a different race with different limitations? I kinda want to play a Hutt or Chiss.

It'll come up a lot, but it's a narrative system so thats just an opportunity for interesting situations to deal with and horrible jokes about your weight, it'll be fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hutts can take a ton of damage, so they don't have the typical disadvantages if they're non combat classes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/10/forged-in-battle/

Soldier sourcebook :eyepop:

Edit: shistavenan :)

alg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yayyy, I can stop fretting about the lack of upcoming sourcebooks now!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yeah! Great to see goofy cantina werewolf dudes back in the star wars universe after the Special Edition wiped em out.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Apologies if this has been asked somewhere in the last 90 pages but does anyone know if FFG is planning a game or supplement around playing imperial forces? i saw some people commenting online that Age of Rebellion could be refitted for an imperial game as it describes soldier classes and uses Duty as a mechanic, I was wondering if FFG had said anything about it

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ivor Biggun posted:

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere in the last 90 pages but does anyone know if FFG is planning a game or supplement around playing imperial forces? i saw some people commenting online that Age of Rebellion could be refitted for an imperial game as it describes soldier classes and uses Duty as a mechanic, I was wondering if FFG had said anything about it

Nope not as yet. The next non-class source book they release is probably going to be some Force Awakens stuff if I had to guess.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Ivor Biggun posted:

I think it would be difficult to run an Imperial campaign because your players would be tempted to start calling down AT-ATs and Star Destroyers to solve every possible problem. If I were running an Imperial campaign, I’d either do it as a Monuments Men-type campaign where the PCs are in charge of retrieving valuable items from planets that are about to get Base Delta Zeroed, or as a Good Stormtrooper Svejk campaign full of conscripts trying to avoid unpleasant assignments.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Also you're playing as the soldiers of a literal murderous fascist regime being ruled by an evil space wizard.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

I just wish the dice weren't so hard to get hold of. Finally managed to order an extra set for a decent price, but when I got them, the Setback dice had been swapped with the black d6s from Imperial Assault.

FFG'S support was very responsive and quick to offer a free replacement, but now the order's on hold because, you guessed it, they're out of stock.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xiphopagus posted:

I just wish the dice weren't so hard to get hold of. Finally managed to order an extra set for a decent price, but when I got them, the Setback dice had been swapped with the black d6s from Imperial Assault.

FFG'S support was very responsive and quick to offer a free replacement, but now the order's on hold because, you guessed it, they're out of stock.

Are there any Beginner Boxes available near you? Those come with a set of dice each.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Yeah; I do have one set already that I got from the beginner box. This was an additional set I picked up to make things smoother at the table. Between the 1 set and the app, it's not a crisis, just obnoxious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xiphopagus posted:

Yeah; I do have one set already that I got from the beginner box. This was an additional set I picked up to make things smoother at the table. Between the 1 set and the app, it's not a crisis, just obnoxious.

Gotcha

My completionist urges have left me with 4 sets of dice...I have all three beginner boxes, and I bought a spare set back when there was only one beginner box.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

Gotcha

My completionist urges have left me with 4 sets of dice...I have all three beginner boxes, and I bought a spare set back when there was only one beginner box.

You should be a nice goon and sell some sets on SA Mart, you'd never need more than 2! :smug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

You should be a nice goon and sell some sets on SA Mart, you'd never need more than 2! :smug:

The table we play at is large enough that it's worth having plenty of extras scattered along its length for easy access.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Amerigoons can get dice here http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-SWE04-Star/dp/1616616598/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462975517&sr=8-1&keywords=Star+wars+dice

Edit: vvv :stare:

alg fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 11, 2016

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Caveat emptor; that's where I got the ones with the wrong setbacks. And based on some posts on FFG's forum, it's not a unique occurrence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xiphopagus posted:

Caveat emptor; that's where I got the ones with the wrong setbacks. And based on some posts on FFG's forum, it's not a unique occurrence.

That's the official set, not some knockoff...so it looks like there was a mixup across a whole batch at the factory or something.

EDIT: Glanced at the Amazon reviews, yeah it looks like some major mixup happened on the factory end of things, a bunch of sets purchased between February and now are affected.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A timely reminder that there's also a Dice App. I know some people love rolling their dice and love custom dice and love teasing out the net result collaboratively. With higher-level characters, I found it to be a time-wasting annoyance to pick through every 10+ dice combat roll. YPMV (Your Parsecs May Vary).

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd better double-check my dice before my Roll20 group meets in person for the first time over a year.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

homullus posted:

A timely reminder that there's also a Dice App. I know some people love rolling their dice and love custom dice and love teasing out the net result collaboratively. With higher-level characters, I found it to be a time-wasting annoyance to pick through every 10+ dice combat roll. YPMV (Your Parsecs May Vary).

there's also more than one free dice-roller floating around

also a roll20 script

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 11, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also you're playing as the soldiers of a literal murderous fascist regime being ruled by an evil space wizard.

The list of rebel heroes who are essentially 'Imperial that defects' is so long that having an Imperial source book seems like a legit useful tool for by running and playing a game. Also wanting a talent tree thats just 'Soontir Fel'

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echopapa posted:

I think it would be difficult to run an Imperial campaign because your players would be tempted to start calling down AT-ATs and Star Destroyers to solve every possible problem. If I were running an Imperial campaign, I’d either do it as a Monuments Men-type campaign where the PCs are in charge of retrieving valuable items from planets that are about to get Base Delta Zeroed, or as a Good Stormtrooper Svejk campaign full of conscripts trying to avoid unpleasant assignments.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I was thinking of a possible campaign idea where PCs would be a group of imperial officers garrisoning an out-of-the-way system. So one could be in charge of a company of stormtroopers, one could have control of some TIE fighters, maybe a gunboat or two with limited opportunities for reinforcement, I'd have to think of other options as well. They would then be charged with keeping the Emperor's peace against challenges like alien political factions trying to have a civil war and rebel agitators. Individual actions could be resolved by having the players control the forces they have deployed unless their charactors chose to show up in person for some reason. There could also be intrigue options for players to secretly be rebel symathisers or imperial intelligence operatives trying to gain advantage for an outside group.

I don't know how well this would work in practice, maybe it's a crazy idea. I'm still reading through Force and Destiny to see how the FFG system works.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 12, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We're actually working on our own for phones since the ones we found are either the garbage official one or a bit simple. Once in particular is very simple and easy to use but doesn't let you store rolls or let you remove dice from a dice pool without starting over. Annoying to the point we ended up starting work on this.

It'll be very simple and clean, no dice physics or anything like that.
It'll let you edit dice pools
It'll show a simple log of previous rolls and let you edit the dice pool if you made a mistake.

Any feature requests?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kingcom posted:

The list of rebel heroes who are essentially 'Imperial that defects' is so long that having an Imperial source book seems like a legit useful tool for by running and playing a game. Also wanting a talent tree thats just 'Soontir Fel'

Did the WOTC system have a sourcebook for Imperials?

Could be mined for narrative ideas at least

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

Did the WOTC system have a sourcebook for Imperials?

Could be mined for narrative ideas at least

D6 is the place to mine narrative ideas. Give the WOTC system a pass.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kingcom posted:

D6 is the place to mine narrative ideas. Give the WOTC system a pass.

Only problem is basically every bit of WEG d6 Star Wars material I've seen assumes the players are members of the Rebel Alliance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

kingcom posted:

I've just noticed a real gross and skeezy habit both here and in some parts of Star Wars fandom at large to try and paint the Imperials as totally not that bad, honest. "How about an Imperial game" doesn't always mean it's gonna be terrible, but it gives me the same avoidance chills like someone gushing about their love for art deco or talking up how they like to collect World War 2 memorabilia.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've just noticed a real gross and skeezy habit both here and in some parts of Star Wars fandom at large to try and paint the Imperials as totally not that bad, honest. "How about an Imperial game" doesn't always mean it's gonna be terrible, but it gives me the same avoidance chills like someone gushing about their love for art deco or talking up how they like to collect World War 2 memorabilia.

Nerds are the loving worst people. Hope that helps.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ProfessorCirno posted:

Besides, everyone knows Art Nouveau is the superior stylistic period.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ProfessorCirno posted:

I was talking about it in IRC today, but whenever I meet people who really love the Empire and wanna run games about it and playing inside it and stuff, I remember this guy Todd from my highschool RPG club.

See, Todd refused to play anything in D&D campaigns besides Thayans, and he of course fully embraced 'roleplaying' the racism of them. We had four seperate campaigns over freshman and sophmore year, and he played a thayan wizard in all 4.

Come junior year, Todd openly reveals he is a skinhead.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not all of space hitler's minions are necessarily as evil as he is, and if you want to drag the parallels out with Nazi Germany then there could be quite a few different groups operating under the banner of The Empire with varying levels of commitment to the cause. On the outside it's a big grey murder machine but on the inside there's backstabbing, betrayal and even good people trying to make the best of a bad situation.

None of this is shown in the movies but I figure if you're going to write up a game might as well flesh out the one-dimensional bad guys.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ProfessorCirno posted:

What's wrong with art deco?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Ivor Biggun posted:

I was thinking of a possible campaign idea where PCs would be a group of imperial officers garrisoning an out-of-the-way system. So one could be in charge of a company of stormtroopers, one could have control of some TIE fighters, maybe a gunboat or two with limited opportunities for reinforcement, I'd have to think of other options as well. They would then be charged with keeping the Emperor's peace against challenges like alien political factions trying to have a civil war and rebel agitators. Individual actions could be resolved by having the players control the forces they have deployed unless their charactors chose to show up in person for some reason. There could also be intrigue options for players to secretly be rebel symathisers or imperial intelligence operatives trying to gain advantage for an outside group.

I don't know how well this would work in practice, maybe it's a crazy idea. I'm still reading through Force and Destiny to see how the FFG system works.

I'm actually in a campaign like this right now with some Goons on Roll20. Look Sharp, Be Sharp, Go Empire.

We're like 10 sessions in, and I'd like to think it's going pretty well :P . Killing Rebels, hunting pirates, protecting Imperial interests near the Outer Rim, assassinating wayward Hutts, good times...

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Ivor Biggun posted:

Not all of space hitler's minions are necessarily as evil as he is, and if you want to drag the parallels out with Nazi Germany then there could be quite a few different groups operating under the banner of The Empire with varying levels of commitment to the cause. On the outside it's a big grey murder machine but on the inside there's backstabbing, betrayal and even good people trying to make the best of a bad situation.

None of this is shown in the movies but I figure if you're going to write up a game might as well flesh out the one-dimensional bad guys.

Problem is, it segues really quickly with some kind of "Clean Wermarcht" mentality. I recall a few weeks back I posted about how in that sweet youtube video styled like an old school anime, way too many comments were arguing how rebels were just terrorists, and the Empire trying to bring order to a corrupt Republic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can sympathize with Average Jooe Imperial who's just trying to get by, but I'd be pretty uncomfortable with any Imperial game that wasn"t about... Well, being uncomfortable with your orders and superiors. And besides, setting a game in some boondocks where the Empire doesn't do anything evil is sort of a disservice to the settinig. You might as well set the game during the Clone Wars and play Republic fleet officers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I can sympathize with Average Jooe Imperial who's just trying to get by, but I'd be pretty uncomfortable with any Imperial game that wasn"t about... Well, being uncomfortable with your orders and superiors. And besides, setting a game in some boondocks where the Empire doesn't do anything evil is sort of a disservice to the settinig. You might as well set the game during the Clone Wars and play Republic fleet officers.

This is how every empire game should go :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
It's a tad hard to come up with a place where a meaningful (ie more than a squad of grunts holed up in their barracks) force of an overtly xenophobic, human supremacist, slavery friendly, pro arbitrary detainment, pro torture and pro summary execution, regime doesn't do anything evil though.