Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm not really seeing inflated prices on any of the mainline Prince albums right now, they're all about $15-20 which about the average price for popular used records. If you're talking OOP stuff then yeah, that's always going to be expensive and it's going to be even more expensive right now with high demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are people actually paying $20 for used, in-print records? I could understand if it were an original pressing of a classic/your favorite album, but otherwise, seems like a pretty absurd price. Record prices have been inflated since at least 2008 if you ask me, and you should!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I was going to say "on Discogs the albums seem to be reasonable" but then I checked Purple Rain and the prices are loving retarded. Some pressings are $40+, even some cassettes are listed at ridiculous prices.

Some CDs are listed at $30 a piece, this is like money laundering poo poo. Nobody is, has or will ever pay $30 for a CD.

VV Granted, on a US pressing that's now listed for $40 the highest recorded sale was $30 and that was probably sealed. The last copy of that pressing that sold was before Prince's death.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 28, 2016

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

King Vidiot posted:

I was going to say "on Discogs the albums seem to be reasonable" but then I checked Purple Rain and the prices are loving retarded. Some pressings are $40+, even some cassettes are listed at ridiculous prices.

Some CDs are listed at $30 a piece, this is like money laundering poo poo. Nobody is, has or will ever pay $30 for a CD.

Are people actually buying though or are sellers hoping to turn a quick buck?If the former then hell, I could do with unloading my Prince albums.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Instead of time traveling you could just buy 100 copies of like a virgin and disappear Madonna.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm going to buy every copy of every Wendy & Lisa album on vinyl and wait 20-30 years. It's foolproof!

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Anyone got a hot tip on poly outer sleeves that for sure have enough room for thick gate/trifolds?
Sleeve City started doing some oversized sleeves last year. They also have sales pretty often if you're on the mailing list.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm starting to feel like a collector - and I get to combine my vinyl hobby with my love of space.

I just started with vinyl recently and, yeah, I love that I've been able to add a few artifacts from the space race to my burgeoning collection.

Go! - Colonel Glenn In Orbit (1962) - It's fascinating to me that for the longest time, the only way people had a way to experience a documentary at home was purely audio via vinyl. Someone uploaded the record here

This led me to start checking out the "spoken word" section of any record store for other time capsules like the John F Kennedy Memorial Album and recordings from the Civil Rights movement.

If you love space history, I definitely recommend looking for Time Life Records To the Moon (1969). Best $10 I ever spent at the local used music store.

The beautiful box set contains 6 LP vinyl records and a book full of vivid color photos detailing the race to the Moon from the early days of rocketry through NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Apollo program. This thing is incredibly detailed in its history, starting from the very beginnings of the rocket science, with 10 years of research according to the

According to the original advertisement in the 1969 LIFE magazine, it was available for for $19.99 (2016 equivalent: $128.89) via mail order.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I have a few like that. A Longines history of the 1950s through news audio clips. Highlights of a few sports teams' seasons, too. There's a Boston Celtics one, the 1967 St. Louis Cardinals and the latest one I have, the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My latest purchase, because I was tired of running my turntable through my computer speakers when I've got a perfectly good receiver. This is the photo from the store's website, here at home they've got the fabric fronts on them and they're sitting atop the seriously-dead cabinets I got for free some time back, so I don't need stands or anything. 10" woofers, fresh rings on the cones. It is so nice to have proper apartment-filling sound again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jealous of your sound boxes

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SimplyCosmic posted:

I just started with vinyl recently and, yeah, I love that I've been able to add a few artifacts from the space race to my burgeoning collection.

Go! - Colonel Glenn In Orbit (1962) - It's fascinating to me that for the longest time, the only way people had a way to experience a documentary at home was purely audio via vinyl. Someone uploaded the record here

This led me to start checking out the "spoken word" section of any record store for other time capsules like the John F Kennedy Memorial Album and recordings from the Civil Rights movement.

If you love space history, I definitely recommend looking for Time Life Records To the Moon (1969). Best $10 I ever spent at the local used music store.

The beautiful box set contains 6 LP vinyl records and a book full of vivid color photos detailing the race to the Moon from the early days of rocketry through NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Apollo program. This thing is incredibly detailed in its history, starting from the very beginnings of the rocket science, with 10 years of research according to the

According to the original advertisement in the 1969 LIFE magazine, it was available for for $19.99 (2016 equivalent: $128.89) via mail order.

Woah, yeah, that's awesome. I had no idea these kinds of records existed until I saw one on display at the Museum of Flight here in Seattle, so I started poking around to see what else is out there, which is how I found that album.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and it's a pretty great blend of narration and actual radio signals from the Apollo craft. It's not quite like being there, it's definitely like listening to a documentary, but it's still really rad.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So it turns out Devo's Miracle Witness Hour got repressed some time back and now you can get it shipped to the US for $27, which is far better than the $50 or whatever it cost originally. Also, they repressed it in a better color than the original options (I think some of those colors are still available though):

I believe I expressed my disappointment with this release when it was announced, but I've since changed my mind. If you're going to edit that show down to 2 sides, they did pretty well with track selection and arrangement. And the remastered recording does sound a bit cleaner than the old bootleg that's circulating. Side 2 in particular is just a great sequence of rarely heard live songs and great/weird versions of familiar tracks. It's still amazing to me that these early live shows keep getting officially released in any form.

I was bummed about Nutty Buddy and Space Junk being excluded, but I just went back and listened to them and there's noticeable dips in quality during those songs, so that explains why they aren't on there.

Here is a digital code if anyone wants it:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

wa27 posted:

So it turns out Devo's Miracle Witness Hour got repressed some time back and now you can get it shipped to the US for $27, which is far better than the $50 or whatever it cost originally. Also, they repressed it in a better color than the original options (I think some of those colors are still available though):

I believe I expressed my disappointment with this release when it was announced, but I've since changed my mind. If you're going to edit that show down to 2 sides, they did pretty well with track selection and arrangement. And the remastered recording does sound a bit cleaner than the old bootleg that's circulating. Side 2 in particular is just a great sequence of rarely heard live songs and great/weird versions of familiar tracks. It's still amazing to me that these early live shows keep getting officially released in any form.

I was bummed about Nutty Buddy and Space Junk being excluded, but I just went back and listened to them and there's noticeable dips in quality during those songs, so that explains why they aren't on there.

grabbed this thanks

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone have some thoughts on those Sonic Youth reissues that have been coming out lately? I've been wanting to buy their Self-Titled, Goo and Dirty for a minute but I'm not seeing much reliable info regarding sound quality and mastering. I know the MoFi pressing of Goo is supposed to sound great (but being out of print has shot that record well past $100), but the other two are up in the air. I saw a repress of their S/T at one of my local shops for $15 but I had a gut feeling not to buy it until I found out more about their mastering and sourcing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

lu_ducky posted:

Anyone have some thoughts on those Sonic Youth reissues that have been coming out lately? I've been wanting to buy their Self-Titled, Goo and Dirty for a minute but I'm not seeing much reliable info regarding sound quality and mastering. I know the MoFi pressing of Goo is supposed to sound great (but being out of print has shot that record well past $100), but the other two are up in the air. I saw a repress of their S/T at one of my local shops for $15 but I had a gut feeling not to buy it until I found out more about their mastering and sourcing.
The 2016 issues of Goo, Dirty, and Washing Machine are remastered from the original tapes. The most recent reissues of the s/t album are from about ten years ago. I don't personally own a copy so I can't comment positively on the sound of it but it is a remaster of some sort. No idea what it is sourced from but it was pressed by RTI so most likely it's a good reissue. Also all of the current pressings of Evol, Bad Moon, Rising, Sister, and Confusion is Sex on Goofin are sourced from the same lacquers as the excellent (and now out of print) ORG reissues from a few years back, I believe they're even a little bit cheaper than those were.

edit: On a related note, all of the current Geffen Nirvana reissues are also pressed from the ORG lacquers if you missed out on those when they were in print.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 3, 2016

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

The 2016 issues of Goo, Dirty, and Washing Machine are remastered from the original tapes. The most recent reissues of the s/t album are from about ten years ago. I don't personally own a copy so I can't comment positively on the sound of it but it is a remaster of some sort. No idea what it is sourced from but it was pressed by RTI so most likely it's a good reissue. Also all of the current pressings of Evol, Bad Moon, Rising, Sister, and Confusion is Sex on Goofin are sourced from the same lacquers as the excellent (and now out of print) ORG reissues from a few years back, I believe they're even a little bit cheaper than those were.

edit: On a related note, all of the current Geffen Nirvana reissues are also pressed from the ORG lacquers if you missed out on those when they were in print.

Oh awesome! thanks for the info. I only ever owned The Eternal and Simon Werner A Disparu on vinyl, but I find myself getting drawn into the band more and more lately so I wanted to start collecting their discography.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

lu_ducky posted:

Oh awesome! thanks for the info. I only ever owned The Eternal and Simon Werner A Disparu on vinyl, but I find myself getting drawn into the band more and more lately so I wanted to start collecting their discography.

Now is a pretty good time.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

I was also bummed abut Nutty Buddy. I think that's one of the best songs in the set.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Seeing some Residents stuff at my favorite store got me into buying some. Some of my friends really likes em so I got Meet The Residents, Third Reich N Roll, Fingerprince, Eskimo and the Duck Stab EP over the past few weeks.
Today i got 2 TMBG Maxi Singles (Don't Let's Start and Ana Ng) and in the comedy section I found the Rutland Weekend Television Songbook. Hooray for obscure Eric Idle and Neil Innes.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I have never listened to The Residents but I found the Cube-E Live in Holland thing in a flea market. I hope it's decent.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hell yeah the Flenser had one copy of Panopticon's "Kentucky" on green and I snapped that sucker up real quick

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's not that surprising really, but its annoying that I choose now to complete my collection of Prince vinyl only to see the prices skyrocketing on Ebay. Why yes, I will pay way over the odds for your copy of 'Purple Rain'. However, it did mean that I got a bargain price for 'Around The World In A Day' because someone weirdly misnamed the auction 'Prince Paisley Park' instead.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

DrVenkman posted:

It's not that surprising really, but its annoying that I choose now to complete my collection of Prince vinyl only to see the prices skyrocketing on Ebay. Why yes, I will pay way over the odds for your copy of 'Purple Rain'. However, it did mean that I got a bargain price for 'Around The World In A Day' because someone weirdly misnamed the auction 'Prince Paisley Park' instead.

I already had most of his studio albums, but I am so glad I got all the way rare stuff 3 to 6 months ago.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Shillary posted:

I already had most of his studio albums, but I am so glad I got all the way rare stuff 3 to 6 months ago.

It's probably pointless too since Warner's are reissuing his run of stuff up to the 'Symbol' era, which is what most people are going to want. For the casual collector it's going to make a lot more sense to pick them up brand new.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Wait, where are you looking where Around the World in a Day is going for crazy prizes? There are sealed copies going for modern retail prices, and there was a promo copy on eBay that sold for $8.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Prince...=p2047675.l2557

Sealed, looks to be one of the 80's pressings because it has a 99 cent closeout sticker still attached. $13.50

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always find that Around the World in a Day is usually the one Prince album that shows up in the $5 bin, they are plentiful.

Oh hey, here's three completely different albums I bought this weekend:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

DrVenkman posted:

It's probably pointless too since Warner's are reissuing his run of stuff up to the 'Symbol' era, which is what most people are going to want. For the casual collector it's going to make a lot more sense to pick them up brand new.

Well I'm talking stuff like The Gold Experience promo, which I hope will be rereleased, but who knows.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, where are you looking where Around the World in a Day is going for crazy prizes? There are sealed copies going for modern retail prices, and there was a promo copy on eBay that sold for $8.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Prince...=p2047675.l2557

Sealed, looks to be one of the 80's pressings because it has a 99 cent closeout sticker still attached. $13.50

This, sadly, is a downside to being in the UK where we love to inflate the prices on everything. An auction at the moment has a used copy on vinyl that's currently at about $12 with a day to go. It's a case of having to sift through a whole lot of that stuff to find anything that's reasonable.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't generally buy stuff online, the only time I have was once or twice in here when other people pointed out ebay sellers who had good stuff for good prices.

How bad/expensive is international shipping? I'm poking at discogs at the moment, and some of the stuff I'm looking at, most of the copies out there are in like Denmark and the like.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I always find that Around the World in a Day is usually the one Prince album that shows up in the $5 bin, they are plentiful.

It's pretty funny that the only Prince album in a huge lot I bought a few months back was Around the World in a Day. I guess it's just one of those albums that was so plentiful that everybody had a copy, even if they had no other Prince in their collection.

You'd think Purple Rain would be even more common :shrug:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

It's pretty funny that the only Prince album in a huge lot I bought a few months back was Around the World in a Day. I guess it's just one of those albums that was so plentiful that everybody had a copy, even if they had no other Prince in their collection.

You'd think Purple Rain would be even more common :shrug:

It's probably one of his most underrated efforts, and people just assume that it's not very good. It makes it easier to get rid of. Same thing tends to happen with Parade, neither of them are immediately accessible even though Around The World In A Day is the stronger of the two.

Also his first 5 albums have seen recent reissues, which includes Purple Rain, so I can only assume that drops their value. The only real valuable version of Purple Rain I've seen is either the one printed on purple Vinyl, or the original pressing that came with the lyric sheet and limited edition Poster.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Allen Wren posted:

I don't generally buy stuff online, the only time I have was once or twice in here when other people pointed out ebay sellers who had good stuff for good prices.

How bad/expensive is international shipping? I'm poking at discogs at the moment, and some of the stuff I'm looking at, most of the copies out there are in like Denmark and the like.

Seems that on average one LP can run you $10 for shipping. Just be sure to always check and make sure beforehand because it isn't uncommon that they charge $20+ or something

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you live in Australia like me it's not uncommon to see shipping quoted between 25 and 50 dollars

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I was excited to see this news that more Pink Floyd reissues are coming soon, but then saddened to see they're using the inferior stereo mix of Piper at the Gates of Dawn instead of the superior mono mix. It was released on CD as both mono/stereo in 2007 and in 1997 a deluxe mono reissue came out, but that's currently $90+ on discogs. Original mono releases are much more unreasonably priced. Waah~

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
SEND MORE DAD ROCK

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's pretty cool that they're once again making their pre-Darkside albums available but not having the mono mixes for the first two is seriously dropping the ball there. My guess is that the people they figure will buy these don't know or care what the difference is.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

iluvpr0n posted:

I was excited to see this news that more Pink Floyd reissues are coming soon, but then saddened to see they're using the inferior stereo mix of Piper at the Gates of Dawn instead of the superior mono mix. It was released on CD as both mono/stereo in 2007 and in 1997 a deluxe mono reissue came out, but that's currently $90+ on discogs. Original mono releases are much more unreasonably priced. Waah~

It doesn't really matter what mix is used because the music on the record is still by pink floyd

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vinyl collectors pay some crazy prices but somehow paying high prices for rare CDs seems so laughably retarded to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

It doesn't really matter what mix is used because the music on the record is still by pink floyd

A lot of albums of that era that were recorded and originally mixed in mono sound pretty bad in stereo. The best example of this is the Beatles catalog.