Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

This is why I'm always careful to keep enemies from falling into pits, as amusing as that is.

That's the annoying part. It wasn't even a pit, it was just that long fall to the big wet cathedral room. But it was still a fatal distance for me at the time, and I was a bit busy running from the other knights in the rafters and looking for Rosaria's to take the long way down without using a bonfire first :v:

I probably would have never known without the wiki weapon entry, to be fair. But that's a pretty dick move place to put a 'spawns first time killed' item even if you did know ahead of time. Not like I kicked them over the edge, I shot him in the face with a shortbow arrow, and then his pathfinding decided to walk directly towards me and over the edge. Meanwhile, the other knight is chasing me with perfect acrobatic balance across the rafters.

Worse things to worry about though. There are cooler crossbows even if I were using crossbows, it's just one of those principle of the matter moments.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Yaoi is one of the three pillars of Japan

What stat would that ring raise?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sunrighto Sturaighto Sword.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

What stat would that ring raise?

+3 to hosed up hands

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wait, so there's Master of rings, but there's no Knight's honor achievement, right? I don't need to get every single loving item in existence?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There's definitely something creepy going on with the bro's relationship, but they could just be that close because they are literally halves of the same joined soul.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
nah lothric totally has the yaoi hands goin
they fuckin

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

HaB posted:

Do people consider the Champ hard? I figured he was basically the first Grundyr fight with some extra moves designed to punish what you thought you learned the first time. Only took me two tries.

Nameless King is over 20 tries and still counting.

Yeah, I've been rocking a +10 lightning rear end w/40 faith (Gotta love that rear end :coolfish: ) and he's weak to lightning, so I took him down pretty handily my first try.

Nameless king, on the other hand, he took quite a few tries to beat.

I've beat him through NG++, but still. gently caress lightning resistant bosses

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ponzicar posted:

Does the Pontiff sprout the weird pilgrim butterfly branches from his back during his second form? I'm usually too busy trying not to die during that fight, but it looks like it to me.

Not really, he is the oak tree to their birch or some poo poo (I don't know trees)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mazed posted:

Part of the difficulty I had with Dancer, myself, was the temptation to just be mesmerized by her movement and footsteps along with her music. It's like the best expression of eerie and gorgeous. There's something almost cathartic about it.

If it seems weird at all, just let go of that feeling and remember that Yoel is sincerely your buddy and wants the best for you.

Ah. So this is where hollowing went.

I've yet to see if it has any disadvantages like in DS 1 and 2. Hollowing was a punishment in those games, yet here it seems like a mechanic as well as quest line.

Am I right in Yoel, being from the land of hollows, wants me to become the lord of hollows? Is this why he hollows me out every few times I die? Is that who Ms. Blackset Trousers is now here, to guide me on the path to becoming the lord of hollows?

Now that it will cost me about 60k souls to un-do, what kind of game have I begun now that i'm level 70 hollow, the darkwraith woman is here, and I've yet to fight the Abyss watchers?

Please note for future updates, my character, Heide the Hollow Herald who wields a Halberd, is the Lord of Hollows. I promise I didn't name her or pick her class or weapon with prior knowledge of how hollowing worked.

turtlecrunch posted:

Not really, he is the oak tree to their birch or some poo poo (I don't know trees)

You would know your deciduous from your coniferous if you visited an arboretum on Arbor day, idiot :mad:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Level 30 with a +3/10 top weapon and I'm getting invasion hits and summons real fast in Undead Settlement. Aim for lv30 maximum if you want to make a fun one for lowbie action

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

lite_sleepr posted:

Am I right in Yoel, being from the land of hollows, wants me to become the lord of hollows? Is this why he hollows me out every few times I die? Is that who Ms. Blackset Trousers is now here, to guide me on the path to becoming the lord of hollows?

Now that it will cost me about 60k souls to un-do, what kind of game have I begun now that i'm level 70 hollow, the darkwraith woman is here, and I've yet to fight the Abyss watchers?

Please note for future updates, my character, Heide the Hollow Herald who wields a Halberd, is the Lord of Hollows. I promise I didn't name her or pick her class or weapon with prior knowledge of how hollowing worked.

Indeed you are correct. There's no real disadvantage to it outside of fashion (the most important thing in the game), but if you want to get a ~special ending~ you need to do everything that she says or implies. Also, help along some other NPC quest lines otherwise you won't get said ~special ending~

Genocyber posted:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

lite_sleepr posted:

Ah. So this is where hollowing went.

I've yet to see if it has any disadvantages like in DS 1 and 2. Hollowing was a punishment in those games, yet here it seems like a mechanic as well as quest line.

The price to cure hollowing goes up quickly, as it's the combined total cost of the last five levels you've gained, so if you change your mind about this, don't wait. But, if you leave it: it opens up the possibility of obtaining a unique ending, though satisfying the other requirements for it aren't especially clear on a blind playthrough.

If you want to know more in very broad terms: Keep an eye out for Anri of Astora, and make sure he makes it out of the Catacombs of Carthus intact. Beyond that, your buddy Yuria can fill you in on the plan.

Oh, also: You can go back to being pretty using a Purging Stone (buy from Yuria) or paying the statue of Velka if you've found it. This won't break the quest line, but actually curing the Dark Sigil will.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 10, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OH, CONFOUND THOSE LORDS OF CINDER! OH, HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE YHORM! I HATE ALDRICH! AND I HATE LOTHRIC! THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK! *chugs estus next to Andre*

edit: A flame! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Genocyber posted:

Mods do the needful

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I haven't done anything with the dark sigil. I still have it in my toolbar from when I started, and I had Yoel PPP-POWER UP me until he dropped and Yuria showed up.

Does curing the dark sign mean making the Hollowed levels on my character sheet go to 0? I'm very interested in being the LORD OF HOLLOWS, so I'd prefer not to screw this up.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Mods do the needful

What he's not wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, you will lose all ranks of beef jerky and be unable to get more if you cure it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying SotFS but going through Heide first once I've learned the following:

-Heide knights can walk out of backstabs, don't even try.
-Heide knights could be the Great Monarch but can't be assed. Lead them to the wyvern? 12 damage from the flame breath, no big, not even going to stagger. gently caress you and die.
-It's a real rear end in a top hat not having upgraded weapons in Heide.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

OH, CONFOUND THOSE LORDS OF CINDER! OH, HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE YHORM! I HATE ALDRICH! AND I HATE LOTHRIC! THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK! *chugs estus next to Andre*

edit: A flame! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

I could hear the voice in my head as I read it. :allears:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying SotFS but going through Heide first once I've learned the following:

-Heide knights can walk out of backstabs, don't even try.
-Heide knights could be the Great Monarch but can't be assed. Lead them to the wyvern? 12 damage from the flame breath, no big, not even going to stagger. gently caress you and die.
-It's a real rear end in a top hat not having upgraded weapons in Heide.

Everyone can walk out of them because the B TEAM put that stupid loving punch animation in. I lost count of how many backstabs I missed because my character went to punch someone in the shoulder to spin the around, only to miss. The animation triggered, but the effect didn't.

Also Heide knights are very powerful and spastic in their movements.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So about those black parasites you see coming out of various creatures; could they be larval primordial serpents? I've seen it speculated that they are some kind of dragon, but in Lothric Castle the two dragons you kill are being controlled by those black parasites. So it doesn't seem like they are dragons but rather a malformed offshot of them; which would be the serpents.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Honestly, after seeing the snake infested villagers in the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne, I think that Miyazaki is just a big fan of the spaghetti monster design from Resident Evil 4/5. There's extremely little in the lore about what the tar parasites are in game at the moment and it's sort of frustrating.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The last DLC boss will be another version of Gundyr that starts the fight in Champ Mode then the second phase he puts down the halberd, gets 3x more moves, and becomes unparryable.

Title Belt Rematch Gundyr

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

you need to do everything that she says or implies.

Except killing Orbeck. That would be awful, and is thankfully unnecessary.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Everyone can walk out of them because the B TEAM put that stupid loving punch animation in. I lost count of how many backstabs I missed because my character went to punch someone in the shoulder to spin the around, only to miss. The animation triggered, but the effect didn't.

Dark souls 2 had the best system for backstabs though. Instant backstabs in demon's souls and dark souls 1 were incredibly dumb, because they broke the PvP even harder than it was already broken and encouraged you to fight everything that was backstabbable in the exact same exploitable way (think havel). Putting in a half second delay that doesn't interrupt the enemy makes backstabs much less silly, although I wish they hadn't further tried to fix the problem with the ridiculous tracking on every enemy.

The real step backward was removing the unique critical animations though. They even used different ones for big enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJtbny8zTE

I liked bloodborne making them even harder to do than any of the souls games though. They're basically just for stealth or really specific situations there.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I think I found my favorite new weapon today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBOxLPzP8Y

With the right stats, the weapon hits surprisingly hard. You can mix it up and give it a really versatile moveset with Farron's Flashsword. You can pewpew whenever you want (Great Farron Darts are fun pokes, kinda like throwing knives). And it's a light source!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there anything I can do settings-wise to increase my odds of darkmooning? I've been farming and picking up missed gear and other stuff for quite a few hours now and absolutely zero action at SL 100, not even failed attempts. My internet isn't that lovely, is Windows blocking me somehow? Normal summoning works fine, almost instantly both ways.

e: i just want to stop genociding these silver k***hts already

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The fake backstabs in Dark Souls 3 are worse than either DS1 or 2.

Its infuriating to have an animation you have no control over play, whiff, and be stuck standing there while an enemy stabs you in the gut.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Its infuriating to have an animation you have no control over play, whiff, and be stuck standing there while an enemy stabs you in the gut.

I've botchstabbed the stationary praying hollows on the high wall, what the gently caress.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

lite_sleepr posted:

What he's not wrong.

Thread title change :ssh:

Someone on the wiki came back to firelink after sending Greirat to lothric castle, WITH GREIRAT ALIVE. Apparently it can only happen in NG+ and beyond, you have onionman save him in irithyll, by saving onion from the cathedral using his own armor from NG, then you send Patches to save him in the castle. Thats at least part of it, seems there are some other triggers to hit too, but no one seems to have found them all yet

We can save our Husbando :unsmith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Especially dumb since, IIRC, the network test did not have that. If you whiffed your guy would just pause for a split second and then continue on, no animation to be locked into.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Thread title change :ssh:

Someone on the wiki came back to firelink after sending Greirat to lothric castle, WITH GREIRAT ALIVE. Apparently it can only happen in NG+ and beyond, you have onionman save him in irithyll, by saving onion from the cathedral using his own armor from NG, then you send Patches to save him in the castle. Thats at least part of it, seems there are some other triggers to hit too, but no one seems to have found them all yet

We can save our Husbando :unsmith:

That would explain why Patches asked about him after I sent him to Lothric, and then buggered off. Shame Greirat had already died by that point. Oh well, have to do ng+2 anyway for the bullshit ring trophy.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Section Z posted:

I've botchstabbed the stationary praying hollows on the high wall, what the gently caress.

That's just karma for being a dick

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just your average invasion :regd09:

I had to use a divine blessing and 3 siegbreaus to win, but it was worth it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dazzling Addar posted:

Honestly, after seeing the snake infested villagers in the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne, I think that Miyazaki is just a big fan of the spaghetti monster design from Resident Evil 4/5. There's extremely little in the lore about what the tar parasites are in game at the moment and it's sort of frustrating.

It seems to me (tenuously, there is definitely a lack of lore atm) like the pus of man is like the undead curse 2: hollow harder. The cleric armor mentions they carry covers on their backs to stop from turning into monstrosities on their journeys (londor pilgrims too?), these enemies count as abyssal, and they're concurrent with the worsening link of fire (the archives key mentions the spreading pus). It's almost like a manus-eque mutation that erupts from the darksign. The dark sigil, which enables hollowing for the unkindled, has the following description: "A black gaping hole in the flesh that resembles the brand of an Undead. The darkness of humanity seeps from this bottomless pitch-back hole, the gap filled by the accumulation of the curse." There's probably a connection there. It's peculiar that the mutation would look like a snake and have association with dragons but Kaathe and the other primordial serpents did have a close link to the dark/abyss and this game does seem to be hammering the point that snakes are jealous of dragons that they could have been. The abyss is def all about humanity/desire running wild.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xenolalia posted:

That's just karma for being a dick

Yeah, though it would help it it also didn't happen when I'm trying to fight the actually hostile ones while making return visit :v:

"Okay fine, I'll not stab them for some pocket change and just fight the hostile ones. Now to oneshot that sword hollow" *botchstabs 4 feet away from praying hollow" "Seriously?"

Now I R2 murder them out of principle, as much to avoid any more strange hitbox shenanigans. I can't make buggy backstab animations near you if you're dead!

Nowhere near as big an issue as when it happens on Cathedral knights or pontiff knights, though. ow.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

HGH posted:

I think you have to capitalize the word to bypass the filter.
But yes it has a lot of easy exploitations.

Binged the thread so gonna reply to some old posts, sorry about that.

Does this help in any way? Only reference I could find.

You are my hero. Thank you a ton. Worked like a charm, and now my gimmick can be realized!

Behold, Unshavable Patches... except the names is 2 characters too long! Anyone got some good alternative name ideas for this Patches from a time before male pattern baldness hit him hard and took away his empathy for his fellow man?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Obligatum VII posted:

You are my hero. Thank you a ton. Worked like a charm, and now my gimmick can be realized!

Behold, Unshavable Patches... except the names is 2 characters too long! Anyone got some good alternative name ideas for this Patches from a time before male pattern baldness hit him hard and took away his empathy for his fellow man?

Handsome Patches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

So about those black parasites you see coming out of various creatures; could they be larval primordial serpents? I've seen it speculated that they are some kind of dragon, but in Lothric Castle the two dragons you kill are being controlled by those black parasites. So it doesn't seem like they are dragons but rather a malformed offshot of them; which would be the serpents.

The statues in The Cathedral of the deep also depict various stages of a pilgrim first having the goo pop out of his back, and later it forming into a winged creature and enveloping him.

The official name of that poo poo is apparently "The Pus of Man," for what it's worth.