Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

man nurse posted:

Is this gonna have Steam achievements because there are none on the store page and it's not listed as a feature either. This is important

I know what you mean. I also require my games to give me constant attaboys during my play experience.

Simply playing video games and seeing myself do cool things in them isn't enough. I need to be shown tangible, literal rewards and validation while I play with my toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

I know what you mean. I also require my games to give me constant attaboys during my play experience.

Simply playing video games and seeing myself do cool things in them isn't enough. I need to be shown tangible, literal rewards and validation while I play with my toys.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Rage was good when you were actually shooting stuff. Shame that was only about 10 minutes of the game.

If Rage didnt have driving or the driving sequences felt more meaningful, then it would have been a better game. Still, I liked it, despite the cliffhanger ending. They should make a second one.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

They should have just redone this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgklh0kDHiI

Retard 4 - Do The Math

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Retard 4 - Do The Math

Lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

man nurse posted:

Is this gonna have Steam achievements because there are none on the store page and it's not listed as a feature either. This is important
Of course there are cheevos. Here is the list for PS4 https://www.exophase.com/game/doom-ps4/trophies/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Linguica posted:

Of course there are cheevos. Here is the list for PS4 https://www.exophase.com/game/doom-ps4/trophies/

They are really banking on nostalgia with those achievement names.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Deakul posted:

And most importantly, honoring the Doom comic.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

The entire development's been banking on nostalgia.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So like.. besides the digital distribution thing.. noone buys disks anymore.. I guess another big change from your time is achievements. Gaming magazines are a thing of the past, there are a few still but HTTP really took off and everyone reads online now. But yeah, you have to roll these things into the game now where you come up with gameplay targets, completely basic poo poo anyone is going to do through normal play, and then you tick them off and let the player see the checklist whenever they want. Stuff like 'kill 100 monsters' or 'pick up 50 health packs'.

John Romero from the 90s: So.. when the player kills 100 monsters they get an onscreen alert that they hit that target and it checks it off. I guess you share completion of these through your modern social network poo poo, so Steam or even Facebook?

Yeah, you got it. Not Facebook so much, that's more about pretending you're someone that you're not in real life.. but Steam absolutely.

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does? It would make more sense to me if we put them in hard to reach places, perhaps complex secrets or particularly nasty monsters that you don't have to kill to finish the level. But if you did you'd get this recognition from the game you did that thing. Why do we want to reward stock standard basic play?

You need to read the Wikipedia page on 'skinner box'

Oh yeah, loving Wikipedia. Is that your answer for everything?

You have no idea.. read the page on Blizzard while you're there too.

edit: omfg. WoW has how many subscribers?! We ain't in Kansas anymore..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 10, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tony Montana posted:

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does?

I don't know if you've ever checked those things where people examine who completes achievements, but a shockingly large amount of people who play their games never get to the first achievement on Steam/the 360/whatever, despite owning the game and even playing it a little. And forget things like just plain "complete the main story/campaign with no special conditions", for many games the rate of getting those achievements is under 50%:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GUI posted:

Doom............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :boom: will be good. :boom:

Four days remain. H*CK yeah.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GUI posted:

Four days remain. H*CK yeah.

Hell yeah. :getin:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh it's actually this Friday. THIS FRIDAY. That's quite good.

I got a pre-order from G2A for a bargain, I know it's bad and I'm going to hell but thems the breaks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tony Montana posted:

I got a pre-order from G2A for a bargain, I know it's bad and I'm going to hell but thems the breaks.

I hear a website called CDKEYS and stuff like that are selling the game for like, half off, but I cant for the life of me help but think that these guys are black market types since it sounds a little TOO good to be true to be out for that cheap so soon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

So like.. besides the digital distribution thing.. noone buys disks anymore.. I guess another big change from your time is achievements. Gaming magazines are a thing of the past, there are a few still but HTTP really took off and everyone reads online now. But yeah, you have to roll these things into the game now where you come up with gameplay targets, completely basic poo poo anyone is going to do through normal play, and then you tick them off and let the player see the checklist whenever they want. Stuff like 'kill 100 monsters' or 'pick up 50 health packs'.

John Romero from the 90s: So.. when the player kills 100 monsters they get an onscreen alert that they hit that target and it checks it off. I guess you share completion of these through your modern social network poo poo, so Steam or even Facebook?

Yeah, you got it. Not Facebook so much, that's more about pretending you're someone that you're not in real life.. but Steam absolutely.

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does? It would make more sense to me if we put them in hard to reach places, perhaps complex secrets or particularly nasty monsters that you don't have to kill to finish the level. But if you did you'd get this recognition from the game you did that thing. Why do we want to reward stock standard basic play?

:wtc: Are you okay

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Tony Montana posted:

are you roleplaying

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yes it was me explaining to a 90s game developer achievements.

Also don't use G2A because it's really bad and it's probably BLACK or GREY MARKET and holyshit the FBI is onto that stuff.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There's nothing wrong with helping the russian mob launder money comrade

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zapazdyvaniye 4

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You are right, my money (x2 or x3) is much better spent on Gabe's waistline. He's had a tough run, I should think more about how to give back to him.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Huuuwat

U bout to do it

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Making entire weapon classes useless and melee awful = masterful design
Not using skills available to you and being punished for it = design flaw

reminder that MisterBibs literally needs his hand held through many videogames else he gets really angry on Games threads about said games, ie the kind of person who gets lost in Doom 2's MAP07

I refuse to believe that anyone could get lost in Dead Simple. Get their rear end handed to them, sure, that's believable. But get lost?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone could get lost in Dead Simple. Get their rear end handed to them, sure, that's believable. But get lost?

Misterbibs is DSP's long lost brother.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tony Montana posted:

More like it's a crap shoot if the key you bought is even legit and won't be deactivated a week or two after using it due to a stolen credit card being used to buy it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Oh poo poo I thought it came out today.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

various cheeses posted:

Oh poo poo I thought it came out today.

Quite a few shops around the world have broken the street date.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Polygon got refused a review copy

As did every one else

Bodes well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

yes it was me explaining to a 90s game developer achievements.

Also don't use G2A because it's really bad and it's probably BLACK or GREY MARKET and holyshit the FBI is onto that stuff.

Say hello to my little Retard 4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

As did every one else

Bodes well

Seems to be common practice these days, doesn't mean much.

or the game is just utter poo poo

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

As did every one else

Bodes well

Also don't Bethesda always refuse them anyway now, there was an article I'm sure I saw. Or was that Kotaku.

Yeah not sure about this launch day embargo. I also don't understand the Season Pass, who is that targeted at? Its all multiplayer which next to no one cares about.

EDIT: Also seeing your avatar makes me instantly think of Radiohead. Guess I'm off to listen to Moon Shaped Pool.

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 10, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ZoDiAC_ posted:

As did every one else

Bodes well

They probably fear dirty leakers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like the limpdicked excuse they gave for not giving review copies "oh but wait Retard 4 is a 3-part product and you can't look at the single player without also looking at the online multiplayer and snapmap."

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Gobblecoque posted:

I like the limpdicked excuse they gave for not giving review copies "oh but wait Retard 4 is a 3-part product and you can't look at the single player without also looking at the online multiplayer and snapmap."

Hah based on what we have seen surely the multiplayer would have just reduced the potential score?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah definitely holding back review copies is not a great show of confidence. Holy cow Bethesda are horrible marketers.

I mean think of it, we've only seen SIX MINUTES of gameplay footage with the mouse and keyboard, and not even direct feed footage either! that little bit swayed alot of people in their direction it's just really amazing the sheer damage they've done to the game from their marketing practices.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Apparently you get Wolfenstien: The Old Blood if you preorder Retard 4. I skipped TOB because I wanted a sequel to TNO, not a prequel. Free games are always nice though!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

Apparently you get Wolfenstien: The Old Blood if you preorder Retard 4. I skipped TOB because I wanted a sequel to TNO, not a prequel. Free games are always nice though!
The best part of The Old Blood was how little they made it for because they already had 3/4 of the assets made on 5% of the game it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah definitely holding back review copies is not a great show of confidence. Holy cow Bethesda are horrible marketers.

I mean think of it, we've only seen SIX MINUTES of gameplay footage with the mouse and keyboard, and not even direct feed footage either! that little bit swayed alot of people in their direction it's just really amazing the sheer damage they've done to the game from their marketing practices.

Yeah It really cannot be overstated how completely horrible their marketing strategy has been and how utterly they misunderstand their own product and target audience.