Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Todoroki coming in second is BS, like how the heck you compete with Yaoyorozu's OP quirk, my boy's been HAD.

I really love just loving angry Bakugo is. He's just fuming with rage and goddamn if he isn't going to let it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rohan Kishibe posted:

What I was thinking was that for the ball toss, she just held onto the ball and ran with it until she felt she got far enough.

Now I want to see an omake "How Hagakure (invisible girl) passed the fitness test" and it's just her carrying the ball, calling out her sit-ups and so on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dammit I have to wait another week for my avatar!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Waffleman_ posted:

This anime is quite evil. Making you wait like this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Waffleman_ posted:

the way the end of episode preview sounded, it doesn't seem like they'll be animating that part anyways

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Waffleman_ posted:

Lum has a quirk?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Futaba Anzu posted:

the way the end of episode preview sounded, it doesn't seem like they'll be animating that part anyways
I dunno, they've been doing all of the major setpiece images one-by-one really so I can't see that not getting animated. It's a good comedy bit too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hace posted:

Lum has a quirk?

the disease is spreading, iida is now a lum, soon all will be lum

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hace posted:

Lum has a quirk?

Can shenanigans be a quirk?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What planet are you people from where training for 9 months could take a nerd to an athletic masterpiece? We also saw what his training consisted of: cleaning up a beach. That isn't going to outshine someone who has been training well the rest of their lives and Izuki has clearly been a tad sheepish bookworm who has never gone outside for even a second.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Mordaedil posted:

What planet are you people from where training for 9 months could take a nerd to an athletic masterpiece? We also saw what his training consisted of: cleaning up a beach. That isn't going to outshine someone who has been training well the rest of their lives and Izuki has clearly been a tad sheepish bookworm who has never gone outside for even a second.

Yeah. He's in good shape now. So is...basically everyone else. Some more than others. With the exception of One For All letting him go to absurd levels of power, he's still woefully underequipped to do much of anything. Remember, everyone in this test could pass the entry exam (with two exceptions, but those two probably also could). Unless you have some sort of super ridiculous quirk that allows you to find and defeat the robots while sitting on your rear end, everyone here is going to be in very good shape. Maybe Deku is in the top half of people in terms of sheer physical power. Great! Still leaves him weaker than mostly everyone else.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

What planet are you people from where training for 9 months could take a nerd to an athletic masterpiece?

This is an anime, so

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

This is an anime, so

Yeah, I clued into that when he punched a giant tank robot. Point is that the anime also tries to follow a certain suspension of disbelief to raise the stakes on whether you think Deku is going to win or lose. Such as all his limbs breaking because he still launched himself 30 meters into the air and punched a pure metal frame and he didn't get out of it scott-free.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ochako is awesome, good luck Deku!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/meijins/status/729468321419120641

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Watched the first four or five episodes of this - got to Eraserhead doing his creepysmile at Deku post-broken finger. I have a heart of stone, but fiction has been killing me lately - I cried a little during The Force Awakens, and I found myself getting misty-eyed whenever the soaring soundtrack kicks in during My Hero Academia too. All Might is objectively the best character, if a really bad teacher, and his encourage of Deku strikes a weird chord in me that just makes me Feel Things. Part of it might be that I always expect these mentor characters to be more like Kakashi (who functionally is the same as Eraserhead), where, yeah, you know they care but getting them to show it is difficult at best.

All Might is amazing because not only does he reverse his original statement to Midoriya ("You can be a hero!") but he seems to genuinely be a fan of his, as well. All Might likes Midoriya and is pretty blatant about this fact, which is refreshing and cool, especially when he does things like go out of his way to make sure Deku knows he didn't pull strings to get him into UA.

Top three "No, there's an eyelash in my eye" moments watching MHA so far:
  • All Might delineating the nature of the exam and that Rescue Points exist, and that Midoriya got in to UA
  • All Might telling Deku that he can be a hero
  • All Might calling Deku an inspiration right before DIITUROITOOOOO SUMAAAASHHHHUUUUU

Some of it is just expert audience manipulation and making the narrative about achieving dreams that seem impossible, but it works because the show (mostly via All Might) only ever oscillates between two settings on the Hype Meter, which is 0 (Deku being a scrublord and literally tripping over his own two feet) and 11 (KOing the loving invincible boss robot). The surges in the visuals, the soundtrack, and the mood, plus the unbounded optimism of the message when the episodes peak like that, just makes for a very potent mix of emotion - like a shocking amount for what's basically a kid's cartoon.

This is a good show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

His real super power is that his face is so 1-dimensional, he always appears as if looking straight at the camera even when he isn't.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

so that was great.

god i could just shotgun it though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori has done a good job showing people revealing their true emotions through their actions rather than words. Eraserhead is a really good example of this; his poker-face doesn't really ever drop, he's a hardass in class the entire time, and he keeps the facade up even when the poo poo hits the fan but if you look at everything he does in the manga you realize that among the faculty he might be the softest touch.

The anime will show a bit of this by the end; there's one particular scene I'm really dying to see animated considering the cool effect they gave his eye power.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I've binged the manga in three days, and there are a lot of scenes I can't wait to see animated. Amazingly, only a handful of those involve Deku.

While he's clearly the main character and focus character, when it comes to it everyone is a protagonist in this manga. Yes, even crotchlaser guy.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Ka-chan's dad must have beaten the crap out of him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

To be honest, everything about him implies the opposite - he's a genius with a ridiculously powerful quirk who's always been treated like the king of the world, and can't handle that situation getting disrupted. That's especially why Deku pisses him off - while his fellow students at UA are highly-performing elites who he can expect to give him a challenge (although he'll always come in first place because he's Bakugou Katsuki), Deku, the quirkless nobody, trying to rise above his station is deeply irritating, and him actually managing to do it and coming close to Bakugou's lead is just existentially terrifying. It implies that he might not be so much of a chosen one after all.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Oh

Or hes just a dick

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

To be honest, everything about him implies the opposite - he's a genius with a ridiculously powerful quirk who's always been treated like the king of the world, and can't handle that situation getting disrupted. That's especially why Deku pisses him off - while his fellow students at UA are highly-performing elites who he can expect to give him a challenge (although he'll always come in first place because he's Bakugou Katsuki), Deku, the quirkless nobody, trying to rise above his station is deeply irritating, and him actually managing to do it and coming close to Bakugou's lead is just existentially terrifying. It implies that he might not be so much of a chosen one after all.
Basically this.

Bakugou's response when he sees Deku's quirk is wonder if Deku tricked him. He feels slighted that the weak Deku he knows suddenly having power that matches his, but more than that he wonders if Deku was just stringing him along this entire time, and that's what hurts him more. Bakugou's not so much single minded in that he thinks he should always be the best given any situation, he barely reacts when he sees two other students scored higher than him on the Apprehension Test, it's that suddenly someone he has written out can stand beside him and possibly even in front of him, and that just kinda fucks with his constant narrative. If he can be surpassed by this nobody suddenly turned somebody, then what's stopping him from slipping even further.

sidenote: I'm not even close to being caught up with the manga, but since I'm a big dumb idiot who likes physical media, this anime is making me awfully tempted to buy the English releases and maaaaaaan

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's main problem is that he thinks he's the main character of this story.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Moltrey posted:

Basically this.

Bakugou's response when he sees Deku's quirk is wonder if Deku tricked him. He feels slighted that the weak Deku he knows suddenly having power that matches his, but more than that he wonders if Deku was just stringing him along this entire time, and that's what hurts him more. Bakugou's not so much single minded in that he thinks he should always be the best given any situation, he barely reacts when he sees two other students scored higher than him on the Apprehension Test, it's that suddenly someone he has written out can stand beside him and possibly even in front of him, and that just kinda fucks with his constant narrative. If he can be surpassed by this nobody suddenly turned somebody, then what's stopping him from slipping even further.

Deku and Bakugou's entire relationship is fascinating once you learn more about their childhoods; psychology goons have noted that their dichotomy is a pitch-perfect example of the Fixed vs. Growth mindset, and even though the story we've seen clearly indicates Growth to be more important and get farther, there has been (as yet) exactly zero attemps to "fix" Bakugou, with the Power of Friendship(tm)* or otherwise- which makes Bakugou one of the most interesting characters in the story, because that's not something that's done often.

*not even by Deku, since his only indicated interest in that regard is wishing that the latter would stop beating him up so much

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 9, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even just from the anime (or even the latest episode), we can see that Bakugo wasn't really angry at Deku as a kid. In fact, he seemed quite happy to be hanging out with him. He probably considered Deku a friend back then. What changed is that Deku moved from "wow, you're so cool, Kacchan!" to "I wanna be like you, Kacchan!" which threatened his view of the world. He wants weaker people to look up to him, and to praise him, and Deku is doing the opposite of that. From his perspective anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 10, 2016

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like to think that he passed the entrance exam by leering so blatantly that the robots in the area destroyed themselves to escape the situation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not really sure if "he's really spoiled" is sufficient to explain Bakugo's apparently limitless flow of rage.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
His Quirk comes with Super Tsundere powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not really sure if "he's really spoiled" is sufficient to explain Bakugo's apparently limitless flow of rage.

'Superhero', in this setting, is the only job that allows unlimited quirk use. Basically, the job description is 'use your superpower to make the world a better place'. Bakugou's quirk is very powerful, so he and everyone else around him see being a superhero as the best possible use of his talents (it being an incredibly glamorous, elite job doesn't hurt, either). His quirk is also exclusively destructive - he's basically a living weapon. Therefore, he sees being a superhero, his destined role, as being a celebrated purveyor of state-sanctioned violence. In other words, responding to everything with howling berserker rage isn't just a result of a lack of boundaries. It's because he's been (probably accidentally) taught that his rage, his capacity for violence, is the greatest contribution he has to offer to society, and because everyone around him was so impressed with his potential that they forgot to teach him to only point it in the right direction.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He could also just be a raging dick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He can be multiple things, including a raging dick!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

have we "met" Bakugou's father?

edit: actually, ignore this, it isn't spoilers or anything, but this was sort of the wrong thread lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

He could also just be a raging dick.

yeah. while i get these interpretations people are throwing out, it's not like the show or comic has gone out of its way to satisfyingly explore why Bakugou is the way he is. so i've grown to really dislike his shtick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's hinted at it but that's clearly for a future arc to flesh out his character more.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Waffleman_ posted:

Perfect in every way.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 15, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Iida is a huge dork and I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Episode 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HNhe9AEL3o

• Locked thread