Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
:confused:
There's no known 3DS exploit in any Ubisoft developed game so far, at least not publically known.
And AFAIK, the first known game exploit was in fact Ocarina of Time, which is by Nintendo themselves, though apparently a different company actually made the 3D port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Cubic Ninja was published by Ubisoft outside of Japan, though it was developed by AQ Interactive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the Virtual Boy emulation like? It would be rad to play Wario Land and Teleroboxer with good 3D.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Update 11.0.0-33 is out and apparently fixes svchax, so if you're planning to downgrade do not update at this time.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
On the flip-side, emuNAND and A9LH users should be perfectly safe to update. 10.7 payloads will still work to launch homebrew if you are using Luma3DS CFW as it indirectly breaks the countermeasure Nintendo just implemented for OoThax and CN ninjhax. Other CFW and non-CFW users will have to wait for the countermeasure to be worked around.

I would definitely NOT upgrade to 11.0 if you are planning to downgrade.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So this means that cubic ninja has finally been patched out?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

21:16 <@smea> The codebin physical-memory randomization code introduced with 10.4.0-29 was updated so that it's now used for OoT3D and Cubic Ninja, for the USA+EUR+JPN titles.
21:16 <@smea> hahaha
21:16 <@smea> this is hilarious
21:17 <@smea> i mean its obviously worthless
[...]
21:18 <Jhyrachy> Why is worthless?
[...]
21:19 <@smea> Jhyrachy because it's trivially bypassed
[...]
21:19 <@smea> annoying but not really an issue
[...]
21:20 <Plailect> pita, but not actually that big of a deal
21:20 <@smea> shouldnt really be an issue...

Probably not. Just won't work right now. Won't know for sure until later though.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 10, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

m2pt5 posted:

There have been reports of Gamestops getting CN back in stock lately. Online, too. (gently caress the ridiculous eBay/amazon prices sellers are trying to bilk people out of.)

I wonder whether the second printing of CN carts has the exploit fixed.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That would be incredibly hilarious. Willing to bet the second run probably saw more sales than the 1st.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

~Coxy posted:

I wonder whether the second printing of CN carts has the exploit fixed.

I don't think it's a second printing, it's just a bunch of used copies they're pushing out of warehouses or whatever.

That said, CN may be demoted to a secondary entry point with 11.0, as it can no longer download the payload with the qr code, but it can still use an already downloaded payload.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the more important thing than the physical memory layout randomization for Ninjhax and OoThax (which is annoying, but can be coded around) is that they blocked network access for Cubic Ninja explicitly in the firmware. That's bad because CN worked so well since it could download all the hax code from the internet via QR code.

I'm just wondering why it took them two years to get the idea to just block CN from wifi.

edit: it also only occured to them NOW to maybe just remove that function that allows unsigned code execution from an arbitrary address, which has been lovingly dubbed "svcBackdoor". They just straight up deleted that function from the ARM11 firm. No ARM11 processes even had access to it without some form of hax, so why was it there in the first place? Why did they leave it there for years? Who knows!

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 10, 2016

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So I was following the Plailect guide to get my old 3ds XL up to 9.2 sysnand and installing emunand/luma/arm9 when the update dropped.

I'm at step 3, and have set up the RedNAND. Should I skip the step about updating to the latest version before setting up OTP since that blocks edit:downgrades? Is there any problem with leaving the RedNAND at 9.2 before downgrading it for OTP?

I don't see a reason to have the rednand at 10.7 at all before you downgrade to 2.1 for OTP so I'm curious why it's in the guide

edit: blocks downgrades not upgrades and clarified question

general chaos fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 10, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

general chaos posted:

So I was following the Plailect guide to get my old 3ds XL up to 9.2 sysnand and installing emunand/luma/arm9 when the update dropped.

I'm at step 3, and have set up the RedNAND. Should I skip the step about updating to the latest version before setting up OTP since that blocks updates? Is there any problem with leaving the RedNAND at 9.2 before downgrading it for OTP?

I don't see a reason to have the rednand at 10.7 at all, so I'm curious why it's in the guide.

You can update your emuNAND/redNAND, it still has kernal/arm11 access.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're running an emuNAND, you can run whatever software you want on it by installing it as a CIA. Doesn't matter what version it's on then, CIAs don't require exploits to work.

That said, if you want you can skip that 3 minute step if you want, just make sure you've got the important things (NAND backups) done.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

If you're running an emuNAND, you can run whatever software you want on it by installing it as a CIA. Doesn't matter what version it's on then, CIAs don't require exploits to work.

That said, if you want you can skip that 3 minute step if you want, just make sure you've got the important things (NAND backups) done.

Are you sure about this? They subbed out svcBackdoor in ARM11 with 11.0, so I'm pretty sure you need an exploit to get downgrades to work now, which means if you do update emuNAND/redNAND to 11.0 you need to use the NTR firmware.bin to downgrade as it will still have svcBackdoor.

I thought Plailect just said on the IRC that the guide uses 9.2 for the downgrade now.

quote:

If your RedNAND / EmuNAND has been updated to version 11.0.0 or higher, you must either put the NTR firmware.bin from part 5 into the /luma/ folder or restore your EmuNAND from a backup of an older version to be able to downgrade. This is because 11.0.0's FIRM broke downgrading.

Yeah the guide skips updating to 11.0 now and uses this warning instead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was about to say that if you're running emuNAND, you're booting through a CFW which all boot through their own static (patch-unaffected) firmware.bin which is usually 10.2 or 10.4 nowadays, but i haven't kept up with Luma3DS and apparently it now boots the firmware from your (updated) CTRNAND instead, which, well... exactly means that you can't update willy nilly anymore, which was the big advantage of booting a static firmware.bin. What a dumb change.

Well, i'm not using Luma anyways, but that's yet another thing you need to warn people about now then

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Though this Luma3DS change means that you really don't have to worry that your CFW will stop working if NATIVE_FIRM gets updated anymore. So for A9LH users, you kind of can update willy nilly, plus you can always toss the firmware.bin into /luma and it will auto load it instead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's the thought behind it, but it falls flat. It creates way more problems than it solves.
You can still run a 11.0.0 system with the 9.6.0 firmware just fine, since nothing much has changed on the back-end firmware level since the keyslot-change on 9.5.0 for New 3DSes. And there likely won't be any big enough changes coming, since the 3DS is running towards the end of its livespan and the only changes made will be anti-hacking stuff (which you don't want anyways). So it's likely to never matter.
Instead, by always using the newest up-to-date firm, you need to worry about possible new patch locations for things like emuNAND access, the FIRM protection offsets for a9lh, other programs like NTR who depend on firm code offsets all need to be updated etc. Especially the firm protect could royally gently caress you over, if you update and a new FIRM gets used where the offsets don't match. That's not even mentioning the terrible confusion it's causing right now, with the people who'd need to be insulated from it the most (noobs setting up a9lh).

OTOH: Use a static firm. Update without fear of needing new offset patches for your hacks, your CIA stuff like NTR keeps working without needing attention, there's no possibility for a surprise gently caress YOU from Nintendo snuck in with the newest firmware that somehow deletes all your homebrew potential, 'cause you're still booting the most integral, low-levelpart of the OS on an old, known to be exploitable firm you have control over.
Worst case scenario? Some part of the assorted system modules depends on a new thing, and you need to wait for a day for the home brewers to make the most recent firmware compatible with all the good hacks. In the mean time you restore an older NAND backup from the previous system update and make do for one day without eshop access.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I've run into another snag at the start of step 4 of the guide. I have my rednand working just fine - it's recognized in emunand9 and Luma3ds launches without incident.

However, when I open decrypt9 it doesn't detect the rednand for the health & safety dump.

Any ideas? Is it because I'm launching homebrew from Cubic Ninja rather than menuhax/sliderhax (oh man that bootrate is nauseating/)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

general chaos posted:

I've run into another snag at the start of step 4 of the guide. I have my rednand working just fine - it's recognized in emunand9 and Luma3ds launches without incident.

However, when I open decrypt9 it doesn't detect the rednand for the health & safety dump.

Any ideas? Is it because I'm launching homebrew from Cubic Ninja rather than menuhax/sliderhax (oh man that bootrate is nauseating/)

It helps to follow every step, which includes setting up menuhax. I'm not entirely sure why that'd matter because I don't think it's a timing based thing.

Quick question, you're using the updated version of decrypt9 grabbed from the github repo yeah?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

general chaos posted:

There's a way to drastically improve the boot rate of menuhax by switching it to the old themehax ropbin payload.

The guide is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-improve-menuhax-boot-rate-to-nearly-100.410764/

Short version: Install menuhax, install themehax over it, back up the ropbin payload from themehax, reinstall menuhax, rename themehax's payload that you backed up to match menuhax's and replace the new file with the old one.

The easiest way to visually tell that the old payload is in use is that there's no yellow flash during bootup.

Edit: Alternately, just grab the appropriate payload out of the otherapp folder in the themehax install package and replace your menuhax payload with it. (There's a list in the linked thread of which one you need.)

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 11, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Iron Rose posted:

It helps to follow every step, which includes setting up menuhax. I'm not entirely sure why that'd matter because I don't think it's a timing based thing.

Quick question, you're using the updated version of decrypt9 grabbed from the github repo yeah?

Would that help the success rate of the actual downgrade step? I thought it wasn't necessary since I could access the homebrew menu via OoT.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Sorry, it was actually the bootrate of sliderhax that was keeping me down rather than menuhax. After many, many tries, I have opened homebrew through sliderhax and successfully installed menuhax again. However, I'm still back at my previous problem.

Decrypt9 does not recognize my Rednand and I have no idea why. It works fine when I boot through luma, and emunand9 can recognize it just fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Would that help the success rate of the actual downgrade step? I thought it wasn't necessary since I could access the homebrew menu via OoT.

It's essential to the downgrade setup since memchunkhax is a race condition. You must use menuhax.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Well poo poo no wonder mine kept failing. I'll give it a shot when I get home then.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

general chaos posted:

Sorry, it was actually the bootrate of sliderhax that was keeping me down rather than menuhax. After many, many tries, I have opened homebrew through sliderhax and successfully installed menuhax again. However, I'm still back at my previous problem.

Decrypt9 does not recognize my Rednand and I have no idea why. It works fine when I boot through luma, and emunand9 can recognize it just fine.

Use the most recent release of decrypt9? If that doesn't work there might be a bug in the latest release, try a previous one.

Also post on r/3dshacks, there's a larger community there that might help.

In theory I suppose you could inject health and safety to sysNAND and then make a new redNAND.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Uh, how do I update from ARN 5.1.1 to the newest Luma? I've replaced the relevant files (hbl, menuhax and luma.dat) but the 3DS keeps booting into the outdated AuReiNand and won't boot if i delete AuReiNand.dat. What obvious thing am I missing this time?
No A9LH, just old-fashioned cfw.

e: And now system settings is showing up as "ver. (system version)" instead of "(CFW name) ver. (system version)". However, it IS my CFW's version, so updating through there shouldn't update my sysNAND, correct?

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Uh, how do I update from ARN 5.1.1 to the newest Luma? I've replaced the relevant files (hbl, menuhax and luma.dat) but the 3DS keeps booting into the outdated AuReiNand and won't boot if i delete AuReiNand.dat. What obvious thing am I missing this time?
No A9LH, just old-fashioned cfw.

Install a9lh, or fix your boot.cfg so it points to Luma.dat not aureinand.dat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

It's essential to the downgrade setup since memchunkhax is a race condition. You must use menuhax.
What are you talking about? I've done multiple downgrades via memchunkhax without menuhax.

Also, took them long enough, but they've finally killed off (software-based) downgrading, probably for good:

quote:

Before installing titles, including NATIVE_FIRM, AMPXI will now check the version of the title to install against a hard-coded list of (titleID, minimumVersionRequired) pairs. This applies to MSET, Home Menu, spider, ErrDisp, SKATER, NATIVE_FIRM, and every retail system module.

This effectively prevents downgrading.
Just check for a hard-coded minimum-version for all system titles before installing. It was as easy as that. Even if we get another ARM11 exploit in the future, no going back down to 9.2 for ARM9 access anymore.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Install a9lh, or fix your boot.cfg so it points to Luma.dat not aureinand.dat.

Yeah, I'm just gonna install a9lh.

By the way, in the "removing TWL modifications" part should I remove them for both sysNAND and emuNAND or just emuNAND? And how would I do that?
And I already have FBI injected to H&S on sysNAND as an old artifact from rxt. Would that interfere with steps 8-14 on getting the OTP? Should I remove that somehow, or does having that saves me the trouble of doing those steps?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

HenryEx posted:

What are you talking about? I've done multiple downgrades via memchunkhax without menuhax.

I might be thinking of the CPU version that came out back in January then. That was why entering and exiting a HBL app helped increase the downgrade chance. I dunno if that's still the case however.

Stink Terios posted:

Yeah, I'm just gonna install a9lh.

By the way, in the "removing TWL modifications" part should I remove them for both sysNAND and emuNAND or just emuNAND? And how would I do that?
And I already have FBI injected to H&S on sysNAND as an old artifact from rxt. Would that interfere with steps 8-14 on getting the OTP? Should I remove that somehow, or does having that saves me the trouble of doing those steps?

Ehhhh that's not good actually. RXtools' FBI injection fragments your NAND to hell and back. I'm actually not sure what you can do about that, other than trying to inject with decrypt9 instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Menuhax seems to be a no-go for me since I'm on 10.7 and I can't find a payload for that version.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Menuhax and Browserhax were fixed in 10.6 and no new exploits for them have been released.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Ehhhh that's not good actually. RXtools' FBI injection fragments your NAND to hell and back. I'm actually not sure what you can do about that, other than trying to inject with decrypt9 instead.

Actually that didn't matter in the slightest since the guide never touched sysNAND H&S. :v:

Also I have A9LH now and it's pretty dope.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Can someone help me out with this? I've been trying to get homebrew working on my old 3DS I abandoned after a system transfer at some point, and I can't get it to work at all.

My 3DS is on version 7.1.0-15U and my browser on version 1.7552. Based on the info I can find, this means I should be able to run sliderhax. I downloaded the homebrew starter pack on my SD card and followed the steps. (Initialize browser, go to website, zoom in, tap slider) However, when I tap the slider at the end, I get a yellow screen for a few seconds, and then it jumps back into the Home menu with a system "An error has occured." message. No matter what I do, I can't get to the other colors and the Homebrew Launcher menu.

Is my problem that my firmware is actually too old? This page says something about browserhax pre 9.0.0 not being able to run 3DSX files, but I have no idea what that means and how that would affect me. If this is the problem, is there any way to update to 9.0.0 without updating (too far) past that?

Also, is the information in the OP about needing a firmware below 9.2 for full system access still accurate?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2016

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is my problem that my firmware is actually too old? This page says something about browserhax pre 9.0.0 not being able to run 3DSX files, but I have no idea what that means and how that would affect me. If this is the problem, is there any way to update to 9.0.0 without updating (too far) past that?

Basically it is too old (but not old enough to just get your OTP, sadly). There's a section of Plailect's guide about "9.2.0 Update" that you'll want to follow to get started.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yep, the browser is exploitable with sliderhax, the problem is after you exploit something, you need code to actually run and set up the homebrew environment. This is called a payload and it takes over the home menu with code hooks, so it needs specific hooks for each home menu version.
These payloads only exist for system version 9.0 and up (to 10.7 currently, but since the home menu wasn't in the latest update, the 10.7 payloads still work), so if you're on a system under 9.0, you'll need to update even if the exploit technically works.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
Follow this guide to bring your O3DS up to version 9.2.0, high enough to use the homebrew launcher and low enough for all exploits to still work.
(you should then get rid of rxTools forever since it's a piece of crap)

And yes, all exploits for full system access still require FW 9.2 and under.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 12, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Thanks all, that worked perfectly! Installed menuhax and the Ocarina of Time exploit as a backup with zero issues after the 9.2.0 update.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Thanks all, that worked perfectly! Installed menuhax and the Ocarina of Time exploit as a backup with zero issues after the 9.2.0 update.

Be aware, if you set up emuNAND/redNAND, the process of creating the partition wipes your whole SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I finally got CFW set up! On my O3DS, but I got it set up! I think I'm going to abandon the idea of homebrewing my n3DS for now and stick with this.

• Locked thread