Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Franz von Dada posted:

Getting the Witcheress ending first try blind was the best feeling ever, even if it's the shortest.
Same. The way that the games play you and Emyhr when Geralt blatantly lies to him about Ciri's death was fantastic. I had a smile on my face at the reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favorite thing about that ending is actually just riding through White Orchard. Something as simple as Geralt asking a couple of peasants if he can help fix their wheel, or seeing the Nilfgaardians or Redanians moving into the region gave everything an overall sense of finality. And that final smash cut to black before kicking off the Cloak and Dagger soundtrack was perfect.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Franz von Dada posted:

Getting the Witcheress ending first try blind was the best feeling ever, even if it's the shortest.

Got this ending, I never felt such a big sigh of relief in a game before.
God drat, what an emotional rollercoaster.

How many endings are there? I totally forgot there were multiple endings, aaaaah.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

Got this ending, I never felt such a big sigh of relief in a game before.
God drat, what an emotional rollercoaster.

How many endings are there? I totally forgot there were multiple endings, aaaaah.

Three ending options for Ciri Empress, Witcheress, or disappeared and presumed dead fighting the White Frost, then there are a few options for the political situation and Geralt's romances.

Ciri: "Good" endings are Witcheress if you don't take her to meet Emhyr, Empress if you do. "Bad" ending is she never returns from fighting the White Frost.
Nilfgaard/political situation: Depending on if you assassinate Radovid and how you deal with Dijkstra, Emhyr can conquer the Northern Realms optionally leaving Temeria as a vassal state, or he gets beaten back and Radovid/Dijkstra take over.
Romances: Yen, Triss, or neither.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not gonna remember how to play this game when the DLC comes out :ohdear:

I'm hoping that'll be me, too. It's so loving good I want to forget it all and replay it fresh.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 10, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood And Wine is looking like a better Alice in Wonderland than the Disney movie that's coming out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

Probably. Could always do a quick white orchard run before diving in if you're worried

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

More like Blood and Win!!

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Starting a game on hardest difficulty. Still in the first little gay village, just did the "find my brother" and "devil in the well" so I guess those are the only two post board missions on that board?

anyhow, any tips? should i be dismantling everything? etc etc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Starting a game on hardest difficulty. Still in the first little gay village, just did the "find my brother" and "devil in the well" so I guess those are the only two post board missions on that board?

Dismantle sea shells to get pearls and sell them. Also, find the old lady who wants her frying pan back. She lives on the riverbank.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Alchemy tree is overpowered as gently caress once you hit the 20s. Google for a map of where all the places of power are. There is like 5 or 6 just in White Orchard.

Uhh, craft Witcher gear only. (Bear school looks the best! But you need those tawny owls and Rage Management to make it work!).

Have fun. Wander around a lot.

edit: also Axii 2.0 spell Puppet is broken as gently caress, and is super easy crowd control

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 10, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

On hardest difficulty you only regen HP when you eat food or chug potions, not from meditating (resting). There is a generic talent Sun and Stars that gives you passive HP regen during daytime, this will be very helpful in the early game. Don't forget to actually slot the talent to gain effects from it, you can ditch it later there are infinite respecs.

You don't really need to sperg about crafting materials and herbs and such. The only worthwhile crafted items are the Witcher sets (green highlight) and those will take you through the whole game. Low and mid-level crafting mats are cheap and plentiful, so sell whatever and don't worry about dismantling and hoarding materials until later when you start finding the high-end stuff.

The highest difficulty mostly just makes fights really unforgiving until you learn the combat. Don't get greedy, fast attack a couple times then use a Sign or bomb, dodge/roll out, rinse repeat. You can't stand in melee and slug it out, get in a few hits and reposition.

The best part of the game is the storytelling and writing/dialogue. Don't skip dialogue, it's usually worth it to explore every conversation option. There is WAY more experience available than you need to hit max level. Some side quests will gray out and only give you token XP no matter what. That's ok, don't do quests for the XP or gold do them because they seem cool and interesting.

Edit: also, post your thoughts once you get a ways through the next and first major zone, Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator. That's usually the point where players on their first time through first go :aaa: with the amazing atmosphere and main quest Family Matters / Bloody Baron chain.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 10, 2016

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Just saw someone streaming Uncharted 4: dialog writing/voice acting/faces/animations on par with Witcher 3 (completely different, mind you, so neither is `better'). Should be a great game.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Pellisworth posted:

The gear from quest rewards is pretty bad and it's a running joke about Geralt receiving ancient family heirloom swords as rewards then promptly selling them. The Witcher gear sets are very good and rank up so you can improve them as you level.
When Crach an Craite gives you the Legendary Sword of Legends, spoken of in legends the gravitas was hugely diminished by me thinking "Oh god, it looks so cool but it's going to be straight garbage." through the entire scene.

And it was in fact garbage. I smashed it to pieces for the ore and gems at the Kaer Trolde forge. So basically it didn't even make it past the castle gates. Wicked sorry about your heirloom, Crach.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I can only make bombs once? I made a Samun bomb (which gave me two, which I used to clear monster nests) and now I can't craft more since it says I already have this item (at 0/2)

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

I AM BRAWW posted:

I can only make bombs once? I made a Samun bomb (which gave me two, which I used to clear monster nests) and now I can't craft more since it says I already have this item (at 0/2)

Meditate with (cheap) hard alcohol in your inventory. 1 is deducted every time, and all of your potions and bombs are refilled.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah you only need to craft each alchemy item once, they have charges which are refillable infinitely by meditating. One hard alcohol refills everything.

Don't ever hesitate to chug drugs and throw bombs, fighting dirty is the name of the game. Once you craft the base "container" item, refills are basically free and infinite so go nuts.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Don't worry about experience - you need to change your RPG habits for this game a bit to really enjoy it. Basically do quests for the dialogues, interactions and stories and not for XP or items. You will most likely outlevel some side-quests during your run (their level requirement will become greyed out) - don't let that spoil your experience, relax, do those quests anyway.

If you feel the need to level up do a main story mission, they're the main source of xp in the game and are tailored to level you up quickly.

Exhaust every white dialogue option before clicking the yellow ones - the yellow ones progress the conversation and this game has such an unheard of quality to writing that you'll be missing out.

There are a few viable builds but if you're having a really hard time use Quen, it's the most OP. You can focus on sword combat but you'll always need a sign or two to back it (Yrden+Quen). You can focus on sign usage but then your most important stat is sign intensity which you can maximize with proper items. Another build is going all in into alchemy where you'll focus on chugging potions and using oils - there's a bomb build in there as well but it will become less and less viable in the endgame.

The combat requires you to be mobile - use all potions, oils and bombs, cast signs, draw out single enemies from the group, hit once or twice and back off. If you try tanking in this game you'll have a really bad time.

Learn to roll and dodge and know the difference between them (for example it's better to dodge when fighting humans and roll when fighting monsters).

The game world has the whole range of monster levels present from the start so just run away from too tough enemies, you're supposed to tackle them later. The rewards will unfortunatelly be tailored to your level so it's not really worth it anyway.

You'll be poor for some time and the way to get rich at first is to pick up everything your enemies drop - swords, armors, everything and sell it all to blacksmiths/merchants. It adds up.

When you destroy a monster nest don't forget to loot it! There are good items in it and many people didn't know that (myself included).

There's a way to cheese combat when on a horse - HOLD DOWN the attack button and the time will slow down when you approach an enemy letting you easily hit them. I learned that waaaay too far into the game as it doesn't really explain this in any tutorial. You can calm down your horse using Axii, there's also a potion that makes her immune to fear.

You can ride your boat faster just like your horse, the game never tells you this.

Witcher gear will be your main source of itemization satisfaction but it takes some time to find, craft and you'll be also waiting to level up to use it so...don't be afraid to craft other items in the meantime. Don't go crazy with that not to use up resources needed for Witcher gear but still you can do that from time to time.

There are some real consequences to Geralt's interactions with his loved ones. This is true to many other NPCs but they don't affect the ending. Weigh your options...carefully.

If you get into Gwent then you may end up getting beaten by some NPC and then that NPC may be gone when you come back to them later. Their cards are always lootable somewhere in such instances though so either google them or ask in this thread.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 10, 2016

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Shoot annoying fucks in the water with the crossbow. When underwater the crossbow becomes a mega harpoon launcher somehow.

Hit the home key and enjoy the scenery.

Think about what characters are telling you and go with your gut. Don't treat the game like other rpgs where everything is spelled out for you.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

captain innocuous posted:

Think about what characters are telling you and go with your gut. Don't treat the game like other rpgs where everything is spelled out for you.
The Witcher 3 is one of the best detective games I've played.

It has glowing forensics bullshit like CSI.
It has regular hosed up crimes that combo into even more hosed up crimes like Law and Order: SVU.
Every other motherfucker is scheming and plotting like The Wire.
It has... something from Homicide, I don't know what, but I'm sure it does.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Made a review of the main game.

I think I hit most of the main points!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It out-does the Batman Arkham series in detective factor. However, I would have preferred that kind of combat system in the Witcher series with how Geralt's fighting style and superhuman reflexes blend together into a sort of whirling dance of blades and fists. With higher difficulty levels you'd need to block and parry while trying to find tiny gaps of opportunity to strike. I think that option of fighting only ever seems to show up if you're massively overpowered with decoctions and high level skills, but book Geralt's fighting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Franz von Dada posted:

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-witche..._medium=twitter

30 hours of new gameplay
over 90 new quests
40 new points of interest
14,000 new lines of dialogue
over 30 new weapons
100 individual pieces of armor
more than 20 new monsters
12 new mutation
New Game Plus maximum level increasing to 100

edit// aaaaaand the article seems to be deleted

:flashfap:

gently caress I am hype for this.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Upon my first visit to the Emporer's castle in Vizima(?) once I had finished talking to the Emporer and Yennifer, there was a quest marker on my minimap, to talk to some guy about Gwent. I lost the first match and then the quest marker disappeared. I played him (at 1 gold at a time) until I won, but nothing came of it.

Did I miss a quest? Do I have to beat gwent players on the first try for quests? Do I need to wager 5?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Madcosby posted:

Upon my first visit to the Emporer's castle in Vizima(?) once I had finished talking to the Emporer and Yennifer, there was a quest marker on my minimap, to talk to some guy about Gwent. I lost the first match and then the quest marker disappeared. I played him (at 1 gold at a time) until I won, but nothing came of it.

Did I miss a quest? Do I have to beat gwent players on the first try for quests? Do I need to wager 5?

I don't think there are quests associated with EVERY Gwent player in the world. Maybe the marker is so it catches your eye the first time, since it's not in a place you're supposed to visit often, and full of NPCs that don't have much to say.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVoDJ_DITs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god it's so pretty

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Goddamnit Geralt why can't I quit you?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Info Compiled by /u/dmax3901 on reddit

---

The Numbers:

* 30+ hour adventure.

* Over 90 new quests.

* Over 40 new points of interest.

* Dynamic points of interest system. Killing bandits in their main hideout will affect the number of enemies in surrounding camps.

* 14000 lines of dialogue (Hearts of Stone had 6000).

* 100 individual pieces of armour (including new Witcher sets).

* More than 20 new monsters.

* New Game + maximum level increased to 100.

Armour and Weapons:

* New Witcher armour class ‘Grandmaster’.

* New armour merchant who is the only one able to craft this level of Witcher gear.

* Can get blue, hooded armour from Witcher 2, armour from Witcher 1, Ursine Witcher armour with furry pauldron that was in the artbook but cut from the main game.

* More than 30 new weapons.

* Can now dye armour. Dyes can be bought from a merchant, crafted or looted. Only obtainable in Toussaint. Pink is among the colours.

* You can acquire the golden, plumed armour of the Touissant knights, and the same goes for Roach!
New Mutation System:

* Mutations. 12 new abilities. Mechanic is unlocked through a quest started by a letter from Yennefer. Examples: Signs can have critical hits causing the enemy to explode, instead of dying Geralt is healed and has damage immunity, opponents knocked down by AARD freeze and die instantly. Can only utilise one at a time.

* The UI resembles Witcher 2’s character customization screen. Basically they’re super strong abilities/stat boosts that require mutagens and skill points to unlock. Can only pick one at a time but you have to unlock earlier ones to get the others.

* Despite unlocking it at level 34+ (recommended level to venture to Touissant) the system and anything you’ve unlocked carries over to New Game+ so you won’t have to unlock it again.

UI Changes:

* Greatly redesigned User Interface.

* Can now rotate Geralt in stats screen.

* Books moved to glossary.

* Upon looting a readable item a little notification pops up in bottom left of screen. Upon clicking in the right stick (on Xbox One controller), you can read the text of recently looted books, letters, notes etc without having to go to the menu, inventory, finding the right book and so on.

* Option to remove fish-eye effect from witcher sense.

Home Base:

* Geralt gets his own motherfucking vineyard.

* It’s called Corvo Bianco.

* You can renovate it with large sums of money, the option I saw was for 5000 Orens.

* You can add a greenhouse of sorts where you can grow herbs for all your witcher potion needs, an armourer’s table, a stable for Roach (with its own stat bonuses), upgrade your bed, renovated interior and exterior, secret lab, guest room.

* Guest room where old friends will come to stay. They said the names Triss and Yennefer, but were reluctant to reveal the names of anyone else who might visit. Surprise Iorveth/Saskia visit??

* Scaffolding and workers will appear after you choose to build something. Each change takes a certain amount of in-game time to complete, but you can just meditate til everything’s done.

* Can display your armour, weapons, paintings and books.

* Some paintings can be bought, or specially made, others are obtained through quests.

Music:

* Over 2 hours of new musical content in the game.

* The title screen song is a reworked version of the Bruxa song from the CGI trailer.

Other Tidbits:

* Can enter Geralt in a tournament, creating his own logo and team colours.

* Can enter under a fake name, although you may not fool everyone.

* You can of course race horses, but other events involve crossbow shooting and a grand melee. Seems like there will be more but they didn’t want to say.

* No new unique weather effects, but the lighting has been prepared specially to reflect the feeling of Southern Europe.

* No new hairstyles.

* As of the preview event (3/5/16) they were still working on the final boss fight.

* Grass has been optimised, more of it but less expensive.

* Improvements to cloth tech (see interview for more detail).

* New sword sheathing option. With this new option Geralt no longer automatically unsheathes his sword at the start of combat. Also, he no longer switches weapons to match the opponent. The player has to do it on their own.

Nilfgaard and Northern Kingdoms physical Gwents cards exist, unsure if they’re being packaged with this expansion.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CDprojektred:This DLC will bankrupt us.

Man this company just doesn't know when to quit. I guess they want to re-lease the game as a "complete" version and get money out of it but this season pass has been worth more than the base game at this point.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I really liked the game already but with all this it will basically turn into the best thing ever and my #1 favorite of all time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

* Greatly redesigned User Interface.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008
I think I might vomit from excitement

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Gamespot was apparently allowed to record, so they have a lot more footage.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-witcher-3-blood-and-wine-everything-you-need-t/2300-6432053/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Oh, silly me.
I forgot the screenshots of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dyQXj/

Looks a lot better, I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deakul posted:

Oh, silly me.

That does look better, but does it solve the endless scrolling headache during crafting? The easiest thing to do would be to just disable blacksmith and armorer options when dealing with the opposite craftsman.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Deakul posted:

Oh, silly me.

We're getting set bonuses now? Nice.

And is that four more skills slots? Thank you god.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Polygon has 15 minutes of gameplay as well from the preview event:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/5/10/11604568/the-witcher-3-blood-and-wine-gameplay

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

Don't worry about experience - you need to change your RPG habits for this game a bit to really enjoy it. Basically do quests for the dialogues, interactions and stories and not for XP or items. You will most likely outlevel some side-quests during your run (their level requirement will become greyed out) - don't let that spoil your experience, relax, do those quests anyway.

If you feel the need to level up do a main story mission, they're the main source of xp in the game and are tailored to level you up quickly.

Exhaust every white dialogue option before clicking the yellow ones - the yellow ones progress the conversation and this game has such an unheard of quality to writing that you'll be missing out.

There are a few viable builds but if you're having a really hard time use Quen, it's the most OP. You can focus on sword combat but you'll always need a sign or two to back it (Yrden+Quen). You can focus on sign usage but then your most important stat is sign intensity which you can maximize with proper items. Another build is going all in into alchemy where you'll focus on chugging potions and using oils - there's a bomb build in there as well but it will become less and less viable in the endgame.

The combat requires you to be mobile - use all potions, oils and bombs, cast signs, draw out single enemies from the group, hit once or twice and back off. If you try tanking in this game you'll have a really bad time.

Learn to roll and dodge and know the difference between them (for example it's better to dodge when fighting humans and roll when fighting monsters).

The game world has the whole range of monster levels present from the start so just run away from too tough enemies, you're supposed to tackle them later. The rewards will unfortunatelly be tailored to your level so it's not really worth it anyway.

You'll be poor for some time and the way to get rich at first is to pick up everything your enemies drop - swords, armors, everything and sell it all to blacksmiths/merchants. It adds up.

When you destroy a monster nest don't forget to loot it! There are good items in it and many people didn't know that (myself included).

There's a way to cheese combat when on a horse - HOLD DOWN the attack button and the time will slow down when you approach an enemy letting you easily hit them. I learned that waaaay too far into the game as it doesn't really explain this in any tutorial. You can calm down your horse using Axii, there's also a potion that makes her immune to fear.

You can ride your boat faster just like your horse, the game never tells you this.

Witcher gear will be your main source of itemization satisfaction but it takes some time to find, craft and you'll be also waiting to level up to use it so...don't be afraid to craft other items in the meantime. Don't go crazy with that not to use up resources needed for Witcher gear but still you can do that from time to time.

There are some real consequences to Geralt's interactions with his loved ones. This is true to many other NPCs but they don't affect the ending. Weigh your options...carefully.

If you get into Gwent then you may end up getting beaten by some NPC and then that NPC may be gone when you come back to them later. Their cards are always lootable somewhere in such instances though so either google them or ask in this thread.

6 hours in and I'm just going up to the Nilfs to talk to Yen, and also just got the Viper swords. Cleared out white orchard. game is good. game is ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Polygon still going on about how the game is racist and sexist. :jerkbag: