Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Why does anyone take Eliezer Yudkowsky seriously? Like, he has no formal training or credentials in anything and his writing reads like the venn center of of autism and narcissism, but people keep giving him money. It does not compute. (LOL, little Silicon Valley humor for you there)

He tells people what they want to hear- that tech geeks are the most important people in all of history, and that they will never die. That's powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
goddamn Uber and Lyft are a bunch of whiny shitheads

I mean, like just about every other company, but they still kinda push the boundaries there

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

e_angst posted:

They've already decided they are going to the legislator next. Of course, the legislator doesn't meet again until January 2017, and the earliest any law they pass will only go into effect is January 1, 2018. Or, given Uber's current burn rate, around $1.25 billion in the future.

They already tried going to the Lege after Houston passed TNC regulations but their bill didn't get scheduled for a floor vote* in the House and didn't even manage to get out of committee in the Senate. And this time they would have every city delegation trying to stall, poison pill, or otherwise kill that bill so the odds will be worse. Additionally the cab companies, public safety folks, and insurance companies probably actually do have some decent pull in the Legislature so I could see a statewide fingerprint requirement getting tacked on.

*For those unfamiliar with Texas politics the Legislature only meets every two years for a very short time. Due to the time crunch the most important part of the process is getting your bull scheduled for a floor vote as early as possible.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Shifty Pony posted:

*For those unfamiliar with Texas politics the Legislature only meets every two years for a very short time. Due to the time crunch the most important part of the process is getting your bull scheduled for a floor vote as early as possible.

As an aside I have no clue how this system has continued for so long. One of the biggest and most important states and it's governed, kind of, like 3 out of every 24 months.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

A Man With A Plan posted:

As an aside I have no clue how this system has continued for so long. One of the biggest and most important states and it's governed, kind of, like 3 out of every 24 months.

It's in line with the small government mindset. Although the schedule ironically gives the Governor a lot of power.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Because the best way to stymie the dirty, far off Feds and ensure the PEOPLE have a voice in their local government is apparently to never actually do anything.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Levitate posted:

goddamn Uber and Lyft are a bunch of whiny shitheads

I mean, like just about every other company, but they still kinda push the boundaries there

If they get beaten anywhere it can gently caress them everywhere

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Coolness Averted posted:

It's in line with the small government mindset. Although the schedule ironically gives the Governor a lot of power.

Even funnier: it gives the Lt. Governor a lot of power, since he schedules and runs the senate. It's important enough that it's generally considered the more powerful office.

And of course the other important office in texas is the railroad commission head. Man I'm glad I only lived there for school. State is all kinds of hosed up.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Baby Babbeh posted:

Why does anyone take Eliezer Yudkowsky seriously? Like, he has no formal training or credentials in anything and his writing reads like the venn center of of autism and narcissism, but people keep giving him money. It does not compute. (LOL, little Silicon Valley humor for you there)

The people that take him seriously tend to have zero credentials in that area and more money than sense

Academia/research and his organization are basically disjoint

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If they get beaten anywhere it can gently caress them everywhere

New York, New Yoooork!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

I'm one of those wankers that stood in line to preorder the Model 3 (my wife wants one). Right before the doors opened some goober went down the line and said "OK on the count of THREE we're going to chant THANK YOU ELON! THREE times, ok?"

:sever:, also did you do the cheer?

Baby Babbeh posted:

lovely people respect lovely people.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Baby Babbeh posted:

He got into the good graces of some folks via sci-if fandom. He grew up in it, so he has those connections (mostly his dad's friends & acquaintances), and I'm pretty sure he's also been a fixture in Bay Area fandom ever since he came out here.

I had been thinking about stopping in at Baycon this year. Maybe I should reconsider…

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

e_angst posted:

They've already decided they are going to the legislator next. Of course, the legislator doesn't meet again until January 2017, and the earliest any law they pass will only go into effect is January 1, 2018. Or, given Uber's current burn rate, around $1.25 billion in the future.

I assume you mean the legislature, right? Like, it's not just one dude :shobon:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nachos posted:

Is there any sense of how the nation views the gig economy and companies like uber? I imagine approval ratings would be pretty high and I'm surprised this was defeated with such a margin.

Depends on which part of it you're asking about; if you're asking for "I can easily use my phone to get a ride from anywhere to anywhere whenever I want" then I highly doubt people are going to find much fault with that. It's kind of the allure of the gig economy; whatever you need, whenever you need it, just a few phone swipes and an app away.

If you're asking about the labor practices? People who know what's up loving hate it. Turns out that people like having steady work with solid, living wage pay and get unruly when you disrupt that. Kind of the problem with stuff like Uber is that they're doing their damnedest to pass the costs off on the people doing the actual work (i.e, forcing drivers to pay all the vehicle expenses) while setting the rates in stone. Plus drivers only get paid when they're actually driving. If you get no fares for a week well lol gently caress you no paycheck then. Ignoring, of course, that people on call like that get paid whether there's work to do or not.

I think what's happening is that the terrible, terrible business practices of things like Uber are starting to come to light. Suddenly people are wondering if their job is next; every programmer can't help but think that the next app is Codr. Meanwhile it becomes apparent that Uber is doing stuff that was formerly illegal and even if it's legal is unethical as hell. It's repeating 19th century stuff again; when Standard Oil was gobbling up the entire oil industry it would move into a new area, sell everything at such a low cost it was at a loss, and obliterate the competition that way. Then once they had control could just do whatever they wanted because hey who the gently caress else were you going to buy oil from? Uber deliberately running at a loss like it is is doing the same thing; they'll no doubt crowd out everything else until they can charge whatever they want due to total market saturation.

History has shown that letting somebody do that is a terrible, terrible idea.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Plenty of midwestern nowhereville cities have a young populace that loves uber/lyft/etc because they associate it with significant cities and thus makes the city they can't/won't escape more like the ones they wish they lived in

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

lancemantis posted:

The people that take him seriously tend to have zero credentials in that area and more money than sense

Academia/research and his organization are basically disjoint

I don't think that the businesses involved in practical AI development are all that interested in his crap either. The hypothetical artificial intelligences that people speculate about are so far from reality right now that it's like trying to optimize zeppelin docking masts on the skyscrapers of the future.

A general purpose AI is like a general purpose robotic manipulator. They're both hypothetically very useful, but in practice you can get the same effect far more easily by just using a special purpose solution fitted to the problem. For instance instead of using a robotic hand to pick up a screwdriver, use an electric screwdriver. A special purpose AI avoids all of the speculative downsides of some evil general purpose AI. Oh, no, there's a malevolent Go computer out there that's thinking bad moves at me. :ohdear:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peztopiary posted:

:sever:, also did you do the cheer
poo poo no, man. I'd been standing in line for 3 hours at that point. All I wanted was to pay my wife's $1k reservation blood money, grab a bottle of water and have a real breakfast.

The damned car prototype wasn't even out at that point. Why the hell would I thank a dude for the privilege of giving him $1,000.00??

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I don't think that the businesses involved in practical AI development are all that interested in his crap either. The hypothetical artificial intelligences that people speculate about are so far from reality right now that it's like trying to optimize zeppelin docking masts on the skyscrapers of the future.

A general purpose AI is like a general purpose robotic manipulator. They're both hypothetically very useful, but in practice you can get the same effect far more easily by just using a special purpose solution fitted to the problem. For instance instead of using a robotic hand to pick up a screwdriver, use an electric screwdriver. A special purpose AI avoids all of the speculative downsides of some evil general purpose AI. Oh, no, there's a malevolent Go computer out there that's thinking bad moves at me. :ohdear:

*invents intelligent humanoid robot*

*hands robot a broom*

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Dropbox Cuts Perks, But Not $100K Chrome Panda

quote:

According to the email, which Dropbox sent out in March, the company will officially be cutting perks like its free San Francisco shuttle, as well as its gym washing service. (Sorry, fitness fans.) Dropbox is also pushing its dinner service back until 7 p.m.—the little trick said companies use to ensure that you have to work longer hours to benefit from free food—and cutting the "unlimited guests" perk that Dropbox employees previously enjoyed. Now, they'll only be able to bring a total of five guests each month to Dropbox to partake in food or happy hours.

Life is tough, eh?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

*hands robot a broom*

That but with nuclear weapons and mind control because they don't understand current AI well enough to understand the ethical issues it raises but have at least a shaky grasp on the idea that mad scientist poo poo is a bad idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you're asking about the labor practices? People who know what's up loving hate it. Turns out that people like having steady work with solid, living wage pay and get unruly when you disrupt that. Kind of the problem with stuff like Uber is that they're doing their damnedest to pass the costs off on the people doing the actual work (i.e, forcing drivers to pay all the vehicle expenses) while setting the rates in stone. Plus drivers only get paid when they're actually driving. If you get no fares for a week well lol gently caress you no paycheck then. Ignoring, of course, that people on call like that get paid whether there's work to do or not.

Isn't that how taxi companies have worked for generations? Drivers aren't employees of the company, they're responsible for maintaining their own vehicle, they don't get paid if they don't get fares. Fares are imposed on drivers in every Western city I'm aware of. Medallions only restrict street-hails, not ordered-by-passenger stuff like calls to taxi dispatch or an app.

The 1099 scraps-of-the-transaction model is a general problem, but it's not clear to me that the industry that Uber is displacing is any better for its workers.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

lancemantis posted:

Plenty of midwestern nowhereville cities have a young populace that loves uber/lyft/etc because they associate it with significant cities and thus makes the city they can't/won't escape more like the ones they wish they lived in

I like Uber/Lyft/etc because when I'm traveling in a nowhere city in the States it can be a loving epic quest to get a taxi, while getting a rideshare takes like 10 minutes on my smartphone and costs me less.

I know a lot of foreigners who use Uber here in Santiago because they don't know how to get around and don't want to get scammed by taxi drivers (which they will).

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't that how taxi companies have worked for generations? Drivers aren't employees of the company, they're responsible for maintaining their own vehicle, they don't get paid if they don't get fares. Fares are imposed on drivers in every Western city I'm aware of. Medallions only restrict street-hails, not ordered-by-passenger stuff like calls to taxi dispatch or an app.

The 1099 scraps-of-the-transaction model is a general problem, but it's not clear to me that the industry that Uber is displacing is any better for its workers.

Is this the case for dispatch-only services as well as street-hailing services?

I have very little experience with taxis outside of New York City, but I assumed that car services (where you call as opposed to hailing) worked more like normal employers. I could be dead wrong, though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In the UK most minicab firms have drivers as contractors. I took my first Uber the other day and the guy said it was basically the same for him as any other firm he'd worked for, except he could vary the patch he worked more easily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JamesKPolk posted:

Is this the case for dispatch-only services as well as street-hailing services?

I have very little experience with taxis outside of New York City, but I assumed that car services (where you call as opposed to hailing) worked more like normal employers. I could be dead wrong, though.

None of the drivers I've asked have been employees, but I guess it's not impossible for some company to run that way; mine is a sample of 5 or so in the US and Canada.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

History has shown that letting somebody do that is a terrible, terrible idea.
IMO so much of this is possible (along with general erosion of labor protection) simply due to the generational loss of such knowledge. The market will always ask for more, and eventually the populace forgets why they should say "No".

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The fact that many people are turning to unsteady contract work for income (or extra income) is symptomatic of structural issues. Harping on uber seems pretty stupid to me especially given, as is pointed out here, that the contract structure isn't new in the industry at all. There is nothing inherently wrong with people having the option of extra part time work with very flexible hours.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

*hands robot a broom*

"You pass butter."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

The fact that many people are turning to unsteady contract work for income (or extra income) is symptomatic of structural issues. Harping on uber seems pretty stupid to me especially given, as is pointed out here, that the contract structure isn't new in the industry at all. There is nothing inherently wrong with people having the option of extra part time work with very flexible hours.

That's true but Uber is also doing their damnedest to try to exploit this situation so why shouldn't we go after them as well? Just because the system permits their actions doesn't absolve them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brannock posted:

That's true but Uber is also doing their damnedest to try to exploit this situation so why shouldn't we go after them as well? Just because the system permits their actions doesn't absolve them.

Sure, do whatever it is you do to oppose them. Just be honest that you're targeting them specifically because they're brash and have an app, because the taxi industry has had the same employment model for decades with nary a peep.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

asdf32 posted:

Except that Uber is not only exploiting contract employees -- including by changing their base rates downward, something that IIRC most contracts don't let you do -- it is also violating state and local ordinances about the provision of livery service. There are laws about what you have to do to drive a taxi, and Uber thinks that claiming they're a "disruptive" company is sufficient excuse for ignoring those laws. See the Wiki page on various legal cases against Uber. Many of them were dismissed or became obsolete, but in others Uber chose not to obey the law.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Except that Uber is not only exploiting contract employees -- including by changing their base rates downward, something that IIRC most contracts don't let you do -- it is also violating state and local ordinances about the provision of livery service. There are laws about what you have to do to drive a taxi, and Uber thinks that claiming they're a "disruptive" company is sufficient excuse for ignoring those laws. See the Wiki page on various legal cases against Uber. Many of them were dismissed or became obsolete, but in others Uber chose not to obey the law.

I get that a lot of people get riled up by uber's attitude but little here has to do with the contract structure which isn't anything unique to Uber, even in their industry.

It's also somewhat ironic to use the term exploitation in the context of a company that's losing billions in investor capital on some combination of employees and customers. If the rich always invested this badly it would completely eliminate the problems of inequality.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

It's already been covered but the difference there is that there's pretty much always a limit on how many medallions there can be which keeps the market from saturating itself. Cabbies can make a living because there can't be too many of them. Uber looked at that and went "nuts to this!" and created a market that's highly likely to over saturate itself.

The taxi industry isn't great by any means but Uber basically looked at it and said "how can we shove the workers even further down the ladder?" Plus like people keep saying companies like Uber are just going "lol gently caress your laws" with stuff like this. When somebody says "you're a taxi company and must follow the same laws as one" their response is to just go "nuh uh! You're not the boss of me and I'm not a cab company because I don't to follow the laws of one."

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 10, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's already been covered but the difference there is that there's pretty much always a limit on how many medallions there can be which keeps the market from saturating itself. Cabbies can make a living because there can't be too many of them. Uber looked at that and went "nuts to this!" and created a market that's highly likely to over saturate itself.

Medallions limit hailed cabs, but not dispatched cabs, anywhere I'm familiar with. They're designed (originally) to avoid swarms of cars circling for fares, so dispatch services (such as black car services, Uber's origin) don't require a medallion. Is it different in your jurisdiction?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Medallions limit hailed cabs, but not dispatched cabs, anywhere I'm familiar with. They're designed (originally) to avoid swarms of cars circling for fares, so dispatch services (such as black car services, Uber's origin) don't require a medallion. Is it different in your jurisdiction?

No but the difference there is that black car services have pretty good reasons to figure out how many cars they need handy and keep only that number. Uber is saying "literally anybody with a good enough car can hire with us."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No but the difference there is that black car services have pretty good reasons to figure out how many cars they need handy and keep only that number. Uber is saying "literally anybody with a good enough car can hire with us."

What reason does the black car service -- whose drivers are contractors paying for the dispatch service -- have to limit their driver pool which is not shared by Uber? What cost do their bear per-driver?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I love how supply and demand needs to be explained every 3rd page of every D&D thread.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Uber also preys on ignorance in the people that drive for it. If you do the math on their "buy a car from us" deal it barely breaks even over something like 10 years of using uber as your only source of money and hustling at that.

Not "at the end of this time you have a 10-year old car and an average pay" but rather "at the end of this time you have a 10-year old car, unless it broke ever. Then you have a ten year old car and are indebted to the mechanic." There was an infographic that broke it down I think, and it may have been seven-nine years not ten? Phoneposting or I'd look.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Subjunctive posted:

What reason does the black car service -- whose drivers are contractors paying for the dispatch service -- have to limit their driver pool which is not shared by Uber? What cost do their bear per-driver?

Black car services don't con their drivers into taking on the majority of the company's capital expenditure by having the driver use their own car. Generally those services have drivers that are going out using company cars (which the company fuels and maintain at their station).

e_angst fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, do whatever it is you do to oppose them. Just be honest that you're targeting them specifically because they're brash and have an app, because the taxi industry has had the same employment model for decades with nary a peep.

A few other liveries have an app. Most don't and that's certainly an issue in 2016, but it's getting better.
I bet the people Uber offered to license their app to are kicking themselves now, just like Blockbuster did after rejecting that Netflix buyout offer.