Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thanks for the guidance on Damage, all! I was overthinking things a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

gnome7 posted:

The Dragon set piece sort of works like that right now, so it isn't TOO unfair, but that does sound rough. Maybe make it something like, in phase 1, there's three different things the Overlord is doing to get the thing. For each one the players don't stop before some other thing happens, the Overlord's forces get 1 Armor in phase 2? Maybe even use an actual timer, like put a 20-30 minute timer on your phone and when that dings, phase 2 happens now.

Yeah, the way I had planned it originally was (spoiler tags because some of my players read this thread, please don't look lesbiathan) the first phase of the set piece is run as normal, but for every complete failure they get the second phase gains one armor. This can happen a maximum of three times, because there's only so much of a lead the Overlord can get (plus having something like 7 armor for phase two would really drag the game down). Depending on how long they take during phase 2, it may be too late to stop the Overlord from completing his objective and he gets a new source of power. I figure this is a fair way for the Overlord to potentially win, given it's a plan that's still in phase one.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
So how exactly does the Little Giant's 'Strong in the Real Way' interact with twisting the knife and hard cuts? By the way it is written it sounds like it would give me a chance to overcome the twisting the knife and avoid the hard cut. Had a big argument with that jerk kalonZombie about this.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The Heavenator posted:

So how exactly does the Little Giant's 'Strong in the Real Way' interact with twisting the knife and hard cuts? By the way it is written it sounds like it would give me a chance to overcome the twisting the knife and avoid the hard cut. Had a big argument with that jerk kalonZombie about this.

It gives you a chance to overcome twisting the knife and avoid the hard cut. It's basically what the move exists for.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

There's a potential expansion that'll delve into this; it's not really represented yet.

As an aside to this One Piece also comes to mind as something that'd also fit into that sort of variation, but it'd probably be better suited for a game meant to emulate that genre rather thigh trying to borrow tools from a game meant for a somewhat different one.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Hey, I'm playing and using the Cultural Giant custom, and if I picked Doomed! from the Harbinger book, would that give me a doom stat? I'm not sure if I would be rolling off a zero. and what could I then DO with that doom stat, other than that cool finishing move that I don't know how I would use?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ominous Jazz posted:

Hey, I'm playing and using the Cultural Giant custom, and if I picked Doomed! from the Harbinger book, would that give me a doom stat? I'm not sure if I would be rolling off a zero. and what could I then DO with that doom stat, other than that cool finishing move that I don't know how I would use?

It would give you the Doom stat, which... upon some checking, does nothing for you. It gives you a new way to Finish Them, and lets you qualify for the End of Days destiny if you weren't already the Harbinger, and that's about it.

I am only just now realizing all of the moves that roll +Doom have been removed from the game. The Harbinger just slowly got less and less moves that required rolling, and right now the only move that does is the Angelic Remnants background. Huh. Oops.

Doomed Soul is a pretty poor choice as a move to multiclass for unless you really want to become The End of Days destiny and you weren't already the Harbinger. And Giants don't get Destinies so. Probably don't do that.

If you want an extra stat for HP purposes, go get the Iron stat from the Dwarf.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Hey gnome, there's no rules on any limits on how many bonds you can form per session. Should there be? I recall that Dungeon World only allowed you to form one bond per session, and so my Overlord is breaking bonds the players have with each other... only for them to reform them all immediately.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's no limit, and the book says you should be making and breaking bonds constantly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177662/Fellowship--A-Tabletop-Adventure-Game

You can now buy Fellowship in print! Go do that maybe?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Just so I'm clear because this is the first KS in a while I've ordered anything physical from, will you be handling distribution of signed hardcopies yourself or do we need to go through DTRPG for those too?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kai Tave posted:

Just so I'm clear because this is the first KS in a while I've ordered anything physical from, will you be handling distribution of signed hardcopies yourself or do we need to go through DTRPG for those too?

Yes I'll be handling that. If you kickstarted at a tier with a signed copy (Overlord Standard, Overlord Deluxe, Minion of the Overlord, or Champion of the Fellowship), then you DO NOT need to buy anything from DTRPG. I have everything set up and will mail you those personally, expect them sometime in June.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
so excited :D thanks for responding so quick to my email, gnome7! I was gonna go softcover, but at the last moment I decided to splurge. The books look beautiful in the KS photos.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Just got my softcover Print-On-Demand copy from DriveThru.

Besides some cropping and resolution issues, the book looks good!

And the content is AMAZING. I am so glad I backed this game. It's awesome.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Spookyelectric posted:

Besides some cropping and resolution issues, the book looks good!

What sort of issues?

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

Well, tonight I finally got my campaign of Fellowship rolling. Here's the gang of misfits planning to save the world:

From left to right: Harbinger, Dragon, Halfling, Elf (yes, really).

The Overlord is a less sympathetic version of this guy, who has been eating all the world's time for reasons.

This is going to be a delight to play, can't wait for the first actual game session next week.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

inklesspen posted:

What sort of issues?

Basically, the crop and bleed is way off. At least it seems that way. The page numbers are way up against the top of the page and partially cut off on some of the pages. The cover images are not centered and the neither is the spine. A few JPEG artifacts on at least one piece of artwork. Stuff like that. It sort of looks either like the document was laid out in an aspect ratio with bleed that didn't match the POD specifications, or there was some kind of alignment error made by the printer.

Not that I am complaining at all. It's not that noticeable and this was the softcover print-on-demand option. I generally give more leeway to print-on-demand books when it comes to this stuff. The book is very pretty otherwise and I was excited to see it in my mailbox this afternoon.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Between all that and the hardcover page number mixup I really regret backing above the digital tier now. The whole point of POD proofs is to fix such issues.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Is that the kind of stuff that can be fixed? Obviously it's too late for the people who already have their PoD books, but surely the files they're printing can be updated to ensure that future prints don't have these problems?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It is exactly the kind of thing that can be fixed, and the purpose of proof copies is to notice the problems and fix them. It is a bit of a trial-and-error process and at some point you have to say "that's good", but I would hope that point would involve fewer of the issues than Spookyelectric listed.

(The JPEG artifacting could be in the actual file gnome has, in which case he might need to go back to the artist in question, though.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like I bought the color print-on-demand hardback two days before Gnome found the errors and took the option down. :v:

It came in the mail today, and yeah, all the page numbers are jumbled up in a ton of places. I kind of laughed at the back two pages of the Squire's info jumping to 655 and 656. Spookyelectric is right about artifacted images, too. The image in the chapter 4 header has a lot of grainy pixels on it. Looking at the final version of the PDF the same issue is on that, too, but it's definitely more noticeable on the print book. The image opposite of the start of The Orc-Boss destiny also has some noticeable artifacting, which is a lot harder to detect on the PDF. You can see it on a few other images if you squint hard, but that's not as distracting. There's no issue with the cropping of the page numbers in the hardback though.

The poor-resolution images wouldn't be too bad but I was really hoping to use the book to run games IRL with people that are completely new to RPGs and the hosed up numbering would be a pretty lovely barrier for new people. Relying on the PDF would mean asking everyone to haul a laptop over or awkwardly flip through a phone or tablet, too. This is kind of a damper on the whole thing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 11, 2016

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
So, my game of Fellowship just concluded. It ran for a little over half a year, with half of the original players being replaced as they left for various reasons. The Fellowship faced off against the dread Spiral Mother who spread her corrupting beauty everywhere she could. Many adventures were had, in which they got cursed, cured the curse, fought a living hill and then a little mountain, met a catgirl merchant, raced against a dramatic countdown to disable the floating fortress, recruited a misshapen monster who was mistreated by the Mother, pantsed a fae, and more.

Finally the dramatic showdown happened as they headed to a dwarven town that had been destroyed by the Spiral Mother, only to find it twisted into a spiral. Rather than try to follow the spiral walls inside (which gave them a bad feeling about doing it), they had the dwarven artillery they brought along blow up the walls (the Heir had her own army, while the Dwarf had a bunch of gunners and artillery she requested). And first the dwarven zombies, with spirals for heads, attacked them, then stone spirals ripped themselves out of the ground to attack, then the water itself animated and attacked them, and finally the Spiral Mother, with a form like a dreadfully beautiful butterfly, showed up. A lot of people got hurt, but in the end they managed to wipe out the two Generals with them and then put the finishing blow to the Mother herself, purifying her with sacred water.

Highlight of the epilogue: the Ogre revealing that he was married with six children. Everyone reacted with shock and surprise.

I ran the game in Roll20.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looks like I bought the color print-on-demand hardback two days before Gnome found the errors and took the option down. :v:

It came in the mail today, and yeah, all the page numbers are jumbled up in a ton of places. I kind of laughed at the back two pages of the Squire's info jumping to 655 and 656. Spookyelectric is right about artifacted images, too. The image in the chapter 4 header has a lot of grainy pixels on it. Looking at the final version of the PDF the same issue is on that, too, but it's definitely more noticeable on the print book. The image opposite of the start of The Orc-Boss destiny also has some noticeable artifacting, which is a lot harder to detect on the PDF. You can see it on a few other images if you squint hard, but that's not as distracting. There's no issue with the cropping of the page numbers in the hardback though.

The poor-resolution images wouldn't be too bad but I was really hoping to use the book to run games IRL with people that are completely new to RPGs and the hosed up numbering would be a pretty lovely barrier for new people. Relying on the PDF would mean asking everyone to haul a laptop over or awkwardly flip through a phone or tablet, too. This is kind of a damper on the whole thing.

Yeah I'm going to have to look into returning my hardcover and see if I can get it refunded/replaced. The cover is beautiful and I like the size and feel of it but the pictures are blurry, low-res garbage and the page number thing makes the book unusable.

I still have the PDF but it'll be difficult when someone asks to look at the book and I tell them to pull it up on their phone. A physical book makes things a lot easier.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to look into returning my hardcover and see if I can get it refunded/replaced. The cover is beautiful and I like the size and feel of it but the pictures are blurry, low-res garbage and the page number thing makes the book unusable.

I still have the PDF but it'll be difficult when someone asks to look at the book and I tell them to pull it up on their phone. A physical book makes things a lot easier.

Mine came in this way too. It's a disappointment, but I'm not as bothered by the artwork quality issues as the page numbering problem. I can renumber them by hand and make the book usable, but it feels like a shame to have to. I've never liked writing in books - I didn't even highlight textbooks in school.

Still looking forward to playing it if I get a willing group.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm really glad I read the thread before I bought the book. I'll hang out and wait for it to get updated/fixed, then you absolutely have my money! :)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Litany Unheard posted:

Just as an update I sent DriveThruRPG a message through their support page requesting either a refund or a new copy a week ago (I offered to mail the faulty book back) and received a message back yesterday that the support staff have ordered a corrected proof and once they've verified that the numbering is fixed they'll mail me a new one free of charge. Anyone else with this issue might want to contact the support staff with a bunch of pictures of the problem and your order information, too.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The hardback's page number issue has been corrected, according to the email I received today. It said that people who have a hardback printing code can use it to order a corrected version of the book.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The first Fellowship expansion, The Giant, is now available to the public! Hooray.

If you are a kickstarter backer, I have also posted near-complete drafts for both The Dragon and The Constructed, which should be coming to the general public in about a month for The Dragon, and 2 months for The Constructed.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'll be trying to convince my group to start a Fellowship game this week so perfectly timed for me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There's a typo in the first full sentence of the constructed.

It's also an amazing playbook that captures roboticism amazingly.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 15, 2016

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
And I thought this week couldn't get any better after the Zelda showcase at E3.

I've definitely got to get a game of this going sometime soon. I really enjoy everything about this expansion. The Giant seems like an incredible amount of fun to play.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
got my signed copy in today. thanks gnome!

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I ran my first session of Fellowship on Sunday, and overall, the players enjoyed it. I had a couple of quick questions, though.

1) The players were exploring a ruined city. I wasn't sure how to handle things like "climbing up a stone pillar". I assume best practice was to make the city a set-piece, or to handle it similarly to the journey mechanic. I ended up letting the Elf roll Grace for it (a la Dungeon World Overcome), but am curious about how to handle it in the future.

2) Some of the players weren't able to make it to the first game. I was going to have them build their characters together with me offline before the next session, and allow players to change some bonds just before the session started, but I'm not sure if there's a more elegant way to loop them in.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

nomadotto posted:

I ran my first session of Fellowship on Sunday, and overall, the players enjoyed it. I had a couple of quick questions, though.

1) The players were exploring a ruined city. I wasn't sure how to handle things like "climbing up a stone pillar". I assume best practice was to make the city a set-piece, or to handle it similarly to the journey mechanic. I ended up letting the Elf roll Grace for it (a la Dungeon World Overcome), but am curious about how to handle it in the future.

Ordinarily this is the kind of thing I tend to just let people do in PBTA games. Unless it's a pillar with a monster on it, or full of traps, or a pillar with strong opinions about orcs or something.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
General RPG rule: if failure isn't interesting, you shouldn't be rolling.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Got my signed copy today! It's a really pretty book, and it'll make looking things up during the game a fair bit easier. Also, it'll hopefully encourage me to start work on the set-piece for sneaking into a forest goblin fortress for next session.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Looks like it's been asked on the DTRPG page but I haven't seen an answer anywhere skimming the thread: Are there plans for a PDF version with a plain white background? I'm not a big fan of the brown gradient.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I feel like I saw gnome say that there was a plan for one at some point, but I may be misremembering from a different game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I had Fellowship White Pages.PDF open in my PDF editor for like the past month, just waiting on me to add all the bookmarks to it. I just added all the bookmarks to it, just now, and uploaded it to DTRPG, so you can now have that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?
Just got the softcover version of this game not too long ago. I love all of the artwork, but the thing that makes me and my players most excited about this game is the Dwarf orangutan in Roman armor.

I like that the game is very geared towards being incredibly customizable and all of the players get to shape the world they play in. When I'm able to wrangle a few people for a session of this, I'll post a trip report.