Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

why dont companies sell a cooler-less card specifically for custom loops? Is it because there is no money to be made or maybe because they dont want idiots buying the cheapest card and then frying it when they use it cooler-less?

Nvidias green certified program probably prevents a card being made without adequate cooling.

Also, the market for water cooling is actually really tiny, and a dedicated sku would have inventory overhead and consumer confusion issues that would probably make it more expensive than the same model with a cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fauxtool posted:

why dont companies sell a cooler-less card specifically for custom loops? Is it because there is no money to be made or maybe because they dont want idiots buying the cheapest card and then frying it when they use it cooler-less?

Well, they probably make somewhat of a profit off their coolers so they're not saving themselves any money, and there isn't a huge demand for it. Plus, since so many buyers tend to go for the cheapest card they can find, they're going to get a lot of complaints and returns from people who are too stupid to know what they're buying. Oh, and most manufacturer's don't want to warranty anything without their own cooler.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I think its a good idea. Something evga could do without being too weird. Won't save much money but who cares

Make it $50 less than msrp with no warranty lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the 1080 can play WoW.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They would probably charge more for the coolerless one.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I think its a good idea. Something evga could do without being too weird. Won't save much money but who cares

Make it $50 less than msrp with no warranty lol

They do the next best thing and sell a version with a block.

I think the real sticking point is the reason why it would be so cool, which is the warranty. I bet it's a hard sell to not invalidate the warranty when it's clear the user changed to a (possibly inadequate) alternate cooling setup (for example an aio clc without adequate vrm cooling).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

xthetenth posted:

Was steam doing the survey back when the 8800 GT dropped? That's the only card I can think of that got the same ludicrous mindshare and had everyone scrambling to buy it.

From 2007: http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey_v6.html

pre:
NVIDIA GeForce 6600	75,541	6.91 %	#######
NVIDIA GeForce 7600	71,429	6.54 %	#######
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200	51,612	4.72 %	#####
NVIDIA GeForce 8800	49,850	4.56 %	#####
ATI Radeon 9600	        48,251  4.42 %	####
It took until 2008 for the 8800 series to take the lead and only just started declining at 12.43% by december of that year. The GeForce4 MX series in 2004 held 15.50% by september of 2004. So not any more ludicrous than usual?

Oddly, steam only has a few records from 2004 to 2007, but there are several tech articles from any particular year that google will fetch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

repiv posted:

Welp, Ashes still switches off its async stuff if it detects you're using an Nvidia card. That makes those leaked benchmarks kind of useless.

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/729827652224180225

Uh, he straight up said you can turn it back on. Presumably that's what the benchmarkers did.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

Uh, he straight up said you can turn it back on. Presumably that's what the benchmarkers did.

You presume benchmarkers to be smart about their benchmarking?

You have more faith than I do.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So if the 1080 reference card has some marketing magic done to raise the price $100, and with nothing else being available for awhile until the BPs get to it for aftermarket, does that mean the original sub $400 price is kinda just quietly going away? Or will we see it when they get around to the BP poo poo-tier blower cards?

Having been keeping up every page and getting a little confused.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mazz posted:

So if the 1080 reference card has some marketing magic done to raise the price $100, and with nothing else being available for awhile until the BPs get to it for aftermarket, does that mean the original sub $400 price is kinda just quietly going away? Or will we see it when they get around to the BP poo poo-tier blower cards?

Not seen any hard dates, but all indications that the BPs are only going to be a week or two behind the reference release. You'll get your chance at a RRP card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alchenar posted:

You presume that everyone knows about an invisible mode switch which was only mentioned by Oxide once, in a forum post 8 months ago?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
...I think I'm gonna wait for the EVGA 1080 Ti Classified Hybrid.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PerrineClostermann posted:

You presume benchmarkers to be smart about their benchmarking?

You have more faith than I do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if async compute was disabled, wouldn't that reduce the figures here?

That's making an assumption that they made async compute work at all for Nvidia , even a little bit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I hope the 1080 can play WoW.

Might need SLI for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if async compute was disabled, wouldn't that reduce the figures here?

That's making an assumption that they made async compute work at all for Nvidia , even a little bit.

IIRC, they're still using pre-emption at the driver level. Pascal can't do true async compute because that's something that needs to be done at a hardware level, and that we knew this back when DX12 was announced because of Nvidia's feature levels shenanigans. I KNOW that's what I read over the weekend, I just have to track the loving citation down.

At this point, we have no way of telling. Even worse is the idea that even if pre-emption can't perform as well as async compute, the worst case scenario is that bad async compute drags down benchmarks relative to good pre-emption. I'm betting on Nvidia "working" with developers to make sure that any pre-emption instructions go off without a hitch, and roll it into Gameworks, while leaving async compute paths in a... not so good state.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It doesn't have a hardware scheduler but it does have core-level context switching and fast preemption.

Search "pascal architecture white paper", it's a PDF. Compute preemption is discussed on page 30

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZobarStyl posted:

Unfortunately it's still difficult to swap back and forth for Eyefinity, since it looks for all purposes to the OS like you ripped your monitors out while plugging in a new giant one simultaneously. The easiest fix for old games is boot them in non EF mode, set to either windowed or borderless fullscreen, then quit out and restart them with EF back on. Some games just never play well (or clone across each screen).

Yeah, to be clear the issue isn't the game not supporting EF, it's Crimson's "launch game with EF enabled" feature being broken as gently caress. Stuff like Talos Principle works fine if I turn on EF and then start the game; if I turn off EF, turn on "launch game with EF enabled", and start the game, all the monitors shut off and the system hangs.

I haven't even tried it with older games.

(Honestly, the way EF is implemented seems to be kind of a shitshow. Why make it a virtual monitor that's only connected sometimes? Why not make it a virtual resolution? That way, when a game asks the display driver what resolutions are supported, it says "well, I have DISPLAY1 that can do up to 1680x1050, and DISPLAY0 that can do up to 1920x1080 or 5280x1050", and when the game says "give me 5280x1050 on DISPLAY0" it just takes over all three monitors. Then all these problems about having to switch into/out of it and games getting confused because it looks like you just unplugged all the monitors go away.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mazz posted:

Its way to early to start trying to throw NVidia under the bus. They set an MSRP, and in order to not compete with their partners they have priced their reference cards above that (not at all uncommon in many industries).

I doubt NVidia is going to try to corner the market on manufacturing the cards, so give the partners a chance to release their product before starting all the hand-wringing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

Its way to early to start trying to throw NVidia under the bus. They set an MSRP, and in order to not compete with their partners they have priced their reference cards above that (not at all uncommon in many industries).

I doubt NVidia is going to try to corner the market on manufacturing the cards, so give the partners a chance to release their product before starting all the hand-wringing.

It looks a lot like they're trying to paper over a limited supply at launch with a high price but still get the mindshare of the pricing they'll drop to when volume production kicks in. Hopefully that isn't the case but it matches perfectly with what we've seen so far and what we know of Polaris scheduling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mazz posted:

Prices are up to the various board partners. One problem people seem to be having is that they assume blower coolers are cheaper to manufacture when the opposite is true. The reference blower card for the last couple generations has always been more expensive than average.

The more important thing is that this time Nvidia is selling the cards directly, because of this they are charging well above MSRP so as to not compete with and to not piss off their board partners. This is about not stepping on the toes of EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and so on.

As for prices I expect them to be high out of the gate because of supply constraints & lack of board partner designs and to lower towards the MSRP as chips become more widely available and the board partners release their designs and start competing with each other.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Nvidia is seriously doing exactly what they've done every other time, just changing the name to "founder's edition" because it's more marketing-friendly. When the partners announce their cards (which is imminent) it should look like it usually does.

Also, you likely won't get a cooler-less card. Nvidia has to certify that any partner designs shipped are properly cooled to qualify for their chip warranty. I don't think any card vendor is going to shoulder that burden (of people burning chips out with badly installed coolers) - unless they charge a lot more for it.

And that would look funny.

Durinia fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 10, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6180-KR

Performance Level: Great

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

It looks a lot like they're trying to paper over a limited supply at launch with a high price but still get the mindshare of the pricing they'll drop to when volume production kicks in. Hopefully that isn't the case but it matches perfectly with what we've seen so far and what we know of Polaris scheduling.

Nvidia has sold their "reference", Nvidia-brand cards in Best Buy for a while now and they were always over MSRP (for example 970s for $380). Like the Best Buy still has them for that price to this day.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Some guys on HardOCP seem to think there'll be 'big pascal' towards the end of next year or early next year which may also come with HBM2.

Huh?

I'm not jumping to sell my 980Ti now, I'm gonna wait and see and maybe wait for the next round of cards/1080Ti but I wouldn't have thought there was another "major" card for ages now the 1080 has hit. Just the Ti? I'm also assuming the Ti will probably priced inline with previous ones so the 1080 will drop when it hits.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Blackfyre posted:

Some guys on HardOCP seem to think there'll be 'big pascal' towards the end of next year or early next year which may also come with HBM2.

Huh?

I'm not jumping to sell my 980Ti now, I'm gonna wait and see and maybe wait for the next round of cards/1080Ti but I wouldn't have thought there was another "major" card for ages now the 1080 has hit. Just the Ti? I'm also assuming the Ti will probably priced inline with previous ones so the 1080 will drop when it hits.

The 780 Ti came out 6 months after the 780 and the 980 Ti came out 9 months after the 980, so if the product cycle for Pascal is similar we would indeed get a 1080 Ti towards the end of the year or early next year. However, given that this is a new process with presumably worse yields and GP100 being gobbled up entirely by compute customers for a while, it might take longer than that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Do we have anything concrete on the FP64 numbers for the 1080 yet? Or at least some well based conjecture?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Nvidia has sold their "reference", Nvidia-brand cards in Best Buy for a while now and they were always over MSRP (for example 970s for $380). Like the Best Buy still has them for that price to this day.

You can still buy it from NVIDIA for $400 too. The issue there is that all other retailers have lowered pricing and NVIDIA hasn't. Best buy is... Best buy.

NVIDIA actually strongly underpriced relative to the AIBs for the Titan X. Everyone else was charging $1100 and more around launch, but the NVIDIA store has always been $1000.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Do we have anything concrete on the FP64 numbers for the 1080 yet? Or at least some well based conjecture?

Nothing concrete yet. I think it's safe to assume it'll be crippled to something useless like 1:24 though, as with all the non-Titan Kepler GeForces.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Blackfyre posted:

Huh?

I think that's what I'm going to hold out for. Why spend $300(sell my Ti for $400) more on only marginal improvements? I'd rather have GP100 instead of GP104.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

I think that's what I'm going to hold out for. Why spend $300(sell my Ti for $400) more on only marginal improvements? I'd rather have GP100 instead of GP104.

I am looking forward to what the GP100 can do now that pascal has probably met its goals. Although frankly Im more interested in what AMD brings to the table overall just to see what they've done with the last ... few years. I have this morbid feeling its going to be the same architecture just shrunk though, and if it is, they need to be bought.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I have a feeling it's going to be improved but still recognizably GCN. After all the future they built GCN for/the future they built for GCN is finally actually here.

Zero VGS posted:

Those were always low key products rather than the first version out and announced specifically in the reveal.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 10, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Blackfyre posted:

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a GP102 near the end of the year either. That would give them more fine-grained options for responding to Vega rather than just "either titan or 1080 Ti"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

I have a feeling it's going to be improved but still recognizably GCN. After all the future they built GCN for/the future they built for GCN is finally actually here.

Makes sense

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I guess newbie luck applies to eBay, because someone used the buy out option to purchase my 970 for $229.99. :toot:

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 10, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The average schmo doesn't know about the new cards yet so you still have some time to sell the cards at a decent price point.

So long as you're not like my coworker who is trying to sell his used evga 980 for $500

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The average schmo doesn't know about the new cards yet so you still have some time to sell the cards at a decent price point.

So long as you're not like my coworker who is trying to sell his used evga 980 for $500

dawg thats 10% off it works gr8, must meet me though from 8:30-8:45pm

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

dawg thats 10% off it works gr8, must meet me though from 8:30-8:45pm

He's actually trying to sell it at a mark up. He bought it used for $380 a few months ago.

This is to say nothing of the fact that he is ALSO trying to sell his whole desktop for $1600. At the same time. On Ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://videocardz.com/59808/amd-vega-gpu-allegedly-pushed-forward-to-october

There's also some mumbling about hbm manufacturing in the comments, fwiw!